PDA

View Full Version : Dealing with an apartment lease

AVN
April 14th, 2014, 21:11
So long story short.
Due to health concerns I am considering leaving Japan before the end of the 2 year term on my apartment.
My boss helped me find the apartment and as a starting gift they helped paid for the security deposits, there was no key money. Because of this they have the copy of my lease.
I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on how to go about checking if there are any penalties without telling my boss before I've fully decided if I will be leaving or not.
I'm just weighing my options and financial penalties would definitely be on the con list.

jacklostinred
April 14th, 2014, 21:21
Sorry I am not able to help you on this one but I must say it is sad to hear you might be going back home.

AVN
April 14th, 2014, 21:33
I'm sad to be thinking about it too...

coop52
April 14th, 2014, 21:37
You should be able to get a copy of the lease by contacting the landlord. You should get a copy anyway even if you plan to stay just for your own reference.

AVN
April 14th, 2014, 21:44
My concern is that the landlord might mention it to my boss. Leading to unwanted questions.

coop52
April 14th, 2014, 21:59
Just say you wanted to have your own copy just in case. There's no real reason why you shouldn't have a copy.

Antonath
April 14th, 2014, 22:02
When is the end of your two-year term? If it's this summer, could you pass off your interest in the lease as looking for charges involved with staying?

AVN
April 14th, 2014, 22:11
I will ask my boss later this week. Hope they don't start asking questions. I don't want to lie.