PDA

View Full Version : School introduction video

Jiggit
April 15th, 2014, 08:56
My 3rd grade OC class are going to "present" our school to the Australian exchange students that are coming in the summer, but right now they are just whinging about it. Whereas I want it to be a fun little project to work on. So I want to show them a video of a foreign high school that will give them some ideas about what kind of things they might introduce (right now their ideas are "maybe school club?") but also that will also seem at least vaguely interesting. So really I'd like something lighthearted produced by students too.

And ideally it would show some footage of stuff that would make my students realise what some of the differences are between their school and foreign schools (e.g. no school uniforms).

If anyone's got any other ideas for teaching them about how foreign schools differ from Japanese schools (aside from just talking at them) or advice for how to encourage them/make it seem interesting, please do share. I'm kinda pissed off at them tbh, in previous years we've just read the textbook at them and I thought this would be a nice, stress-free break but they've fallen into the "everything that isn't mindless repetition is too difficult so I don't have to actually try to do it" mentality. I might just let the JTE make them do listening and dictation exercises if they keep being such b1tches about it...

therealwindycity
April 15th, 2014, 09:05
You could show them an episode of a TV show like Degrassi. It might hold their interest a bit more than just an introduction video, and afterward it would give you a chance to discuss how much of it is true and how much is dramatized.

Antonath
April 15th, 2014, 09:07
Does the school your exchange students are coming from have a video of their own? That way what you show them has a link to what you're asking them to do in return.

You might want to get the broadcasting club involved too, if your school has one. Even if no one in the class is a member, chances are they have friends in it and can pull in favors.

Jiggit
April 15th, 2014, 09:10
You could show them an episode of a TV show like Degrassi. It might hold their interest a bit more than just an introduction video, and afterward it would give you a chance to discuss how much of it is true and how much is dramatized.

Not a bad idea but I'd like something non-professional as well. The point is to show that it isn't "difficult", that regular high school kids like them can do it and have fun.

Does the school your exchange students are coming from have a video of their own? That way what you show them has a link to what you're asking them to do in return.

You might want to get the broadcasting club involved too, if your school has one. Even if no one in the class is a member, chances are they have friends in it and can pull in favors.

No broadcasting club, no video that I can find on the exchange school's website. I'll send them an email about it though, good idea.

Gizmotech
April 15th, 2014, 11:06
Umm, can't offer any suggestions like that, but if you want to give your students ideas, tell them to look at the school calendar for all the BIG events. I'm sure you have a lot of still photos from sports/culture days that can be put into the video as they introduce things.

Jiggit
April 15th, 2014, 11:31
Umm, can't offer any suggestions like that, but if you want to give your students ideas, tell them to look at the school calendar for all the BIG events. I'm sure you have a lot of still photos from sports/culture days that can be put into the video as they introduce things.

Oh yeah we did a class thinking of things to talk about, it's just that they're being all whiny and miserable about it. Also you know what Japanese people are like at introducing/explaining things. ""I'll talk about kendo. Kendo is fun. Japanese people like kendo. I belong to kendo club. Thank you for listening".

And I want them to learn about the "cultural differences" and I want the Australian students to see something that might be vaguely interesting or useful so ideally they'd be able to see some of the differences in their school life without it just being me saying "these 5 things are different, just take my word for it". Frustratingly one of them went to Australia last year but apparently didn't notice anything going on around her the entire time she was there...

Antonath
April 15th, 2014, 11:40
Frustratingly one of them went to Australia last year but apparently didn't notice anything going on around her the entire time she was there...
More likely she doesn't want to stand out in the crowd of apathetic classmates by a) knowing something relevant and b) telling someone about it.

Jiggit
April 15th, 2014, 11:45
More likely she doesn't want to stand out in the crowd of apathetic classmates by a) knowing something relevant and b) telling someone about it.

Probably. Though I know this girl better than most teachers (I made her cry once) and she's gotten through most of life by having big eyes and being really good at pretending to understand people.

jwkelley
April 24th, 2014, 10:42
I did that with my culture club. All i really had to do was sprout off a few ideas and give a 5 minute lesson on how to use Windows Movie maker and they did the rest.

Also if you could get permission to go into a classroom and interview some students on video yourself as an example for the club, it might plant the same idea in your kids head. My kids were kind of the shy nerdy kids so getting them to interview other students in clubs was hard.

Jiggit
April 24th, 2014, 11:36
I dunno my first years could probably do it great but third years are study/test zombies. Kids who choose to do "Oral Communication II" have basically given up on life.

ihatefall
April 24th, 2014, 13:53
A big difference is that in American SHS they all move independently were as here it's as a kumi.

But ask them to describe something simple to you, like a pencil. But to someone who has never see it. (It's a tool for writing that is usually made of wood with a grey center that makes marks on paper when sharpened to a point....) I know that is beyond their abilities but maybe the "tool for writing" part will stick with them.

Tell them to explain things like that. Get the ball roll by creating a the thought bubble thing. Japanese SHS goes in the middle and them ask them what are the parts that make up a Japanese school. (HW, uniforms, clubs, PE, etc.) then have them develop those on their own in groups.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jwkelley
April 24th, 2014, 16:09
I just edited all the school parts out of The Wire put them in one video and showed it to them. They got a good grasp of American schools after that.