PDA

View Full Version : What's the smallest JHS you've taught at?

hithere4
April 29th, 2014, 23:27
Just wondering what the smallest ones are out there.

I taught at a 36 student one, it was in a fairly big town, 250,000 people or so and was only about 20 minute drive from downtown, but was pretty rural out there. Anyone else?

zombiekelly
April 30th, 2014, 05:04
I taught at an ES with less than 40 kids, but the smallest class I've taught was a single kid.

Lianwen
April 30th, 2014, 10:33
My smallest JHS is 30 kids. We actually got twice as many first years this year, so that was fun. Last year we were just over 20. My smallest class is 8 kids. The town is very small though, and has 4 JHS for a populateion of 20k.

UPGRAYEDD
April 30th, 2014, 11:20
In my first year, I taught at a JHS with 5 students. Class sizes were 2, 2, and 1 and the school had the full complement of teachers. They closed it at the end of the year and merged it with the JHS in the next town over, which is also a tiny school with a grand total of 37 kids.

Ini
April 30th, 2014, 11:44
Smallest JHS was 6 (3 1st graders, 2 2nd, 1 3rd), smallest ES was 4 (2 1st and 2 6th) and smallest yochien was 1.

Gizmotech
April 30th, 2014, 12:30
5 (I think) but it's the spec-ed school and this was the hearing impaired side. They were divided into grade 7 + 8 (3-4?), and 9(2).

chikorita
April 30th, 2014, 15:08
My smallest JHS is 8 kids, and my smallest ES is 10

webstaa
May 1st, 2014, 08:14
Not me, but my predecessor taught at 5 ES (in a town of around 8,000) and 3 JHS. When they combined the JHS they got only 2組 for each grade. The ES combined just over a year ago and the smallest had 6 students and 9 staff in the school...

yingyangryder
May 1st, 2014, 08:29
Smallest JHS is around 300 or so kids but my smallest class is today with 2 kids.

kenkennif
May 1st, 2014, 13:57
This year I have one ES where the 5th grade class is only 4 students - there are probably about 30 kids in the whole school so next year it is being merged with the school down the road (which is also pretty small) - That should be good for the kids though, gives them a chance to make more friends and hang out with more people from their area daily.

johnny
May 1st, 2014, 14:10
My smallest school has just shy of 400 students and my smallest class as 31 kids.

My largest school has 800 students and is expected to have more than 1,000 in two years. It will be the largest JHS in my prefecture.

jwkelley
May 1st, 2014, 16:09
A growing school in Japan, I don't believe it.

uthinkimlost?
May 1st, 2014, 16:11
A growing school in Japan, I don't believe it.

Easily happens when the other JHS's around it close or people move to the city.

zombiekelly
May 2nd, 2014, 03:24
Not me, but my predecessor taught at 5 ES (in a town of around 8,000) and 3 JHS. When they combined the JHS they got only 2組 for each grade. The ES combined just over a year ago and the smallest had 6 students and 9 staff in the school...

I was at a single JHS for the whole year (a few subs when JHS was closed), and the whole school was 200 kids, 2 classes per grade. I went to every 2nen class, and 3 of the 4 1nen and 3nen classes per week. Mostly standing there, but.......

johnny
May 2nd, 2014, 08:33
My town has a huge Hitachi factory and very large natural gas refinery. There is another factory on top of that too. So basically, there are good jobs here and the city is slowly growing. Likewise with the city next door.

That being said, on the Sea of Japan side of the prefecture, the schools are dwindling away just like a lot of places (except for Shimonoseki).

Though, I expect a lot of our school's growth actually has something to do with the neighbouring cities working out a deal to send their kids here. That's the only thing that would explain a jump in 200 students in a year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

merran
June 17th, 2014, 22:32
I teach at a couple of big(gish) schools, but I also have a number of tiny mountain schools waaaaaay out in the boonies. Last year, my smallest JHS had a grand total of two kids. Both of them graduated in April, and with nobody to replace them (the next oldest kid in 'town' was third grade elementary), both the ES and JHS ended up closing. Smallest school in the prefecture when I first came on JET; last year, though, a friend of mine had a school with literally one single student in it after his senpai graduated, so I think that probably takes the cake. I've heard that they've since put policies in place in the ken stating that there have to be at least 25 students for a school to remain open, and a lot of small schools like those ended up closing at the end of last year. I definitely understand the economic reasons for doing so, but damn, that was a fun school to teach at! Lesson planning is totally different with two kids instead of twenty! (Although during flu season, sometimes you'll show up and the entire student population will be home sick. #smallschoolproblems)

Ebi
June 17th, 2014, 23:14
So far my JHS have been "medium" sized, in the 300-500 range, but my elementary schools have varied. My largest was over 1,000 students and my smallest was 91 students. But I think they're planning to shut down that small school and merge it with another elementary school soon.

BeckyJones
June 18th, 2014, 08:40
one of my visit ele schools is only 45kids. Why on earth would they keep a JHS under 100 students open? such a waste of resources

SomePeopleJustSaySnow
June 18th, 2014, 10:00
11. 11 students. At an entire school, with a full gym, tennis courts... 11.

It was my favourite school to visit.

Teishou
June 18th, 2014, 10:41
I have a bit under 150 at mine.

therealwindycity
June 18th, 2014, 11:04
a friend of mine had a school with literally one single student in it after his senpai graduated, so I think that probably takes the cake.

Did the school still have teachers for every subject? How on earth did they manage to find enough stuff to pretend to be busy with?

(Also, although I bet that kid got a great education, it seems crazy to pay tens of millions of yen in teachers' salaries just for one student ...)

word
June 18th, 2014, 11:20
My last JHS had more teachers than students.

Ini
June 18th, 2014, 12:11
meh, I work at a ES that has more principals and vice principals than students.

BeckyJones
June 18th, 2014, 13:09
meh, I work at a ES that has more principals and vice principals than students.

so 1 student? unless the school is crazy and has multiple principals and vice principals.

Ini
June 18th, 2014, 13:28
4 students....

BeckyJones
June 18th, 2014, 14:35
4 students....

so why the fuck are there more than one P and VP? My base school both times has been over 600 students and they still had only 1 P and 1 VP

Ini
June 18th, 2014, 15:29
2 p and 3 vp because that just how we roll.

Jiggit
June 18th, 2014, 15:58
I prefer 3P to 2P.

kenkennif
June 23rd, 2014, 16:31
This thread just reminded me of this gem...

Center For Kids Who Cant Read Good - Zoolander (4/10) Movie CLIP (2001) HD - YouTube (http://youtu.be/NQ-8IuUkJJc)

Jordaius
June 24th, 2014, 11:48
I visited a JHS 2 or 3 times last year that was in a small mountain village with less than 20 students. The village is quite well-off. Every year they pay for the 2nd years to travel to a foreign country, as their school trip. This year they hired a private ALT to live in their village and work full-time for them.