PDA

View Full Version : T minus one week until We start finding out!

Randomgirl
May 10th, 2014, 03:57
So, how to kill the Time between now and when we find out our placements (other than the pub). I think I've pretty much looked at every youtube video of JET apartments and every JET blog. I'm out of things to do! How are you killing the time?!

sharpinthefang
May 10th, 2014, 05:52
Waiting for my call and crying quietly in a corner.

Gizmotech
May 10th, 2014, 08:57
Your placement notification could be longer than a week, likely another 2. Hell, my prefecture only got tentative lists for placements yesterday from what people in BoE days were telling me, and they aren't allowed to contact for a while yet.

Randomgirl
May 10th, 2014, 09:35
Yah it could be another month for me to learn my placement but I know a few consulates at least who told their shortlisters that they'd hear mid-month, and the first post last year regarding a placement came on the 18th, so some people will find out next week or so probably. I'm curious about what others are doing to bide their time. That's all! :)

Gizmotech
May 10th, 2014, 10:01
I imagine the following:

Circulating blood
Breathing
Occasionally standing
Perhaps some sitting
There could be walking
There is seeing, atleast 60% of the day

But ya never know, they could just be neurotically checking their e-mail accounts waiting to hear where they are going :P

itsabird
May 10th, 2014, 11:46
But ya never know, they could just be neurotically checking their e-mail accounts waiting to hear where they are going :P

You'd think most people in year 2014 would use smartphone email notifications rather than checking their email hundreds of times a day. But ya never know!

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Yarilo
May 10th, 2014, 15:19
From what I hear (Toronto), we find out end late May/Early June. So quite a wait for us.

therealwindycity
May 10th, 2014, 15:30
I remember the stress. Big daikon was still around when I was waiting for my placement, so I spent a bunch of time reading about JET horror stories and hoping I wouldn't get placed in Kyoto (apparently it's much better now, though). Aside from studying Japanese, I recommend doing some research on traveling in Japan to find out places you'd like to visit once you're here. Try to look at a variety of areas around the country so that once your placement comes out you'll be a bit more familiar with Japanese geography and have a slightly better understanding of what will be near you (I was woefully ignorant about the location of my placement when I got the call from the consulate). Also:

Can you name the prefectures of Japan? - Sporcle Games & Trivia (http://m.sporcle.com/games/g/japanprefectures)

Gizmotech
May 10th, 2014, 16:29
I'm all types of fail at that. 28/47.... good thing I live here eh?

hello
May 10th, 2014, 19:45
I was told placements will be posted (literally posted in the mail.. Australia) around the 19th May

Moso
May 10th, 2014, 21:06
Do all different countries tend to find out at the same time! I'm from the UK here, eagerly awaiting my placement information! :D

Randomgirl
May 10th, 2014, 22:49
Great game!!

Windy City! You were a BD-Er too? Were you on it before it was overtaken by trolls? If so, we might know each other ;) I totally remember thinking "please don't give me Kyoto, please don't give me Kyoto!"

Good idea - I think I might look for one lesser known thing to visit in each region, then hope I'm not placed on one of the far away islands in tokyo!!

therealwindycity
May 11th, 2014, 10:46
I didn't really post on BD, I just lurked and got really worried about life in Japan. It had pretty much gone south by the time I was applying for JET.

AVN
May 11th, 2014, 20:05
Something else to keep in mind is that you may get a prefectural placement (SHS) and not find out your exact placement until much, much later.
This is especially true for Hokkaido BOE placements.
Also, sometimes knowing your "city" doesn't really help much either because you might be in a small off shoot town that really has nothing to do with said city.
I got my placement City-shi. Researched it, looked into it, population of over 110 000 people, etc. Then when my pred got in touch with me I found out I was actually in Town-cho 50km away from the city and with a population of 4000 people.
I adored my placement but it's worth noting that until you get in touch with your pred nothing is certain.

Randomgirl
May 11th, 2014, 23:11
I remember those days, TRWC. BD went downhill pretty fast, if I remember correctly. Before that, people actually helped each other and-gasp- got to know each other! I felt that it was futile to even try to post anything by 2004, so I came here instead ;) (it was being toted as a much friendlier place than BD at that time).

I'd be happy even to know which prefecture I'm going to.crossing fingers that I am at least close enough to my parents in law for weekend visited (which means free time for an exhausted mummy!) :)

MilkBottle
May 12th, 2014, 04:10
This is the next thing we have to wait for... I'm going to be exhausted before I even get there D:

Randomgirl
May 12th, 2014, 06:01
This is the next thing we have to wait for... I'm going to be exhausted before I even get there D:

SO true!!!!!

spman2099
May 12th, 2014, 10:59

Just be happy you aren't in alternate purgatory; those are the people that are REALLY suffering. Waiting is no longer a problem for me.

MilkBottle
May 12th, 2014, 11:08
Just be happy you aren't in alternate purgatory; those are the people that are REALLY suffering. Waiting is no longer a problem for me.

Oh I was. Fortunately, only for 3 weeks(ish). Wouldn't wish that fresh hell on anyone.

itsabird
May 12th, 2014, 11:21
Oh I was. Fortunately, only for 3 weeks(ish). Wouldn't wish that fresh hell on anyone.

I appreciate the condolences. :|

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Jintor
May 12th, 2014, 20:37
I was told placements will be posted (literally posted in the mail.. Australia) around the 19th May

Oh. Sweet, thanks for sharing the info.

johnny
May 14th, 2014, 00:02

You'll get to enjoy a form of purgatory again because you can expect your placement to come at least two weeks after every one else's. I was an alternate as well, and I had to wait an extra two weeks. Lame I tell you!

Tako
May 14th, 2014, 03:56
This is by far the hardest waiting period!
-I found a website to help me study kanji - yay!
-I am researching luggage - leaning toward Dakine...
-I am TRYING to find out what female JETS *actually* wear (not just what they packed) to help me know what to shop for - no luck with this yet...
- Making lists of things that need to get done.

And on top of all this, JUST GOIN CRAZY WAITING!!!

uzateq
May 14th, 2014, 06:24
I am TRYING to find out what female JETS *actually* wear (not just what they packed) to help me know what to shop for - no luck with this yet... This is something I'm having trouble figuring out too. I know it differs depending on schools and probably depending on which region/prefecture you're in too but it's hard to know what to buy. I don't have a lot of money right now so I'm just going to wait to hear where I'm placed and see if that helps any.

Randomgirl
May 14th, 2014, 06:38
Now that I can help with!!! For tokyo, I brought a knee length a-line skirt and a short-sleeved cotton fitted shirt with wedges and a pedicure. For evenings, I traded out the skirt for capris. I brought a black tank dress and summer weight blazer in black (the standard Japanese dress up colour) with black dress shoes and accessories in colour. When I got to my school, it was a countryside JHS and ES, so I basically dressed up for the first day there (and first day of classes), but the rest of the time it was khaki capris and cotton fitted shirts (I started with button down but then gave up - yoga t shirts were fine!)

Randomgirl
May 14th, 2014, 06:45
Winter wear- COLD! Undergarments to stick on the heat patches. Long sleeve T over that, sweater over that, and either dress pants or khakis. One dressier winter black dress - for any ceremony you need. Exercise yoga pants/capris for sports days, marathon days, etc. beach wear if you are near the beach. Winter outerwear and maybe fingerless gloves for indoors in the winter.

Basic stuff. Let me know if you have any specific questions. Lots if bras and undies if you are a size that isn't common in Japan. Socks are easy to find and will fit probably up to an 8 or 9

uzateq
May 14th, 2014, 07:04
Thank you that's really useful. You mentioned black being the standard dress up colour but is there any colour to avoid?

Lots if bras and undies if you are a size that isn't common in Japan.

What would you say are the easy to get sizes in Japan? I'm looking at the wiki page ( Brassiere measurement - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brassiere_measurement#Continental_Europe_.2F_Japan) ) and I'd like to bet that common sizes in Japan don't vary much from the common sizes here in the UK.

Gizmotech
May 14th, 2014, 07:07
Comfortable conservative if ES, comfortable business conservative if JHS/SHS. wait until you hear from your pred about what type of school environment it is though. I mean hell, at my visit school EVERYONE except me wears track suits.

uzateq
May 14th, 2014, 07:15
Comfortable conservative if ES, comfortable business conservative if JHS/SHS. wait until you hear from your pred about what type of school environment it is though. Cheers. Tha'ts pretty much what I thought.
I mean hell, at my visit school EVERYONE except me wears track suits. I honestly cannot even imagine this. Where I live tracksuits are reserved for people you'd rather never have the misfortune of speaking with mainly for fear of mugging.

Randomgirl
May 14th, 2014, 07:24
Oh yeah, and they are the old style soccer suits too - think polyester Adidas stripes with narrow, zippered ankles!!! Last time, I brought straight legged Adidas, but this time I think I'll stick with yoga pants. I'm from vancouver, so I'll say that it is cultural ;)

As for colours, there are no real no-nos. black is standard for weddings, funerals (with a pearl necklace for the latter), entrance ceremonies, graduations, etc. the general rule of thumb is that bright colours and patterns are saved for the young (under 30) and single (and anyone over about 75, seriously - check out the punk purple hair on some grannies!), and for anyone older or married, or with kids, muted colours are best.

Randomgirl
May 14th, 2014, 07:29
As for bras - the big issue is girth. They have cup sizes up to about a US C cup, but generally they have MUCH narrower rib cages than us. I think you might be able to find a 32c (US system), otherwise, bring it! The largest clothes are generally a US 8. I was an 8-10 last time, and sometimes had to shop in the men's dept. great thing: they'll often do hemming for free!

uthinkimlost?
May 14th, 2014, 07:59
Oh yeah, and they are the old style soccer suits too - think polyester Adidas stripes with narrow, zippered ankles!!! Last time, I brought straight legged Adidas, but this time I think I'll stick with yoga pants. I'm from vancouver, so I'll say that it is cultural ;)

I hope that is a joke, because that is just inviting the Kancho in an ES

As for colours, there are no real no-nos. black is standard for weddings, funerals (with a pearl necklace for the latter), entrance ceremonies, graduations, etc. the general rule of thumb is that bright colours and patterns are saved for the young (under 30) and single (and anyone over about 75, seriously - check out the punk purple hair on some grannies!), and for anyone older or married, or with kids, muted colours are best.

Black is fine at JHS and SHS that require suits. Charcoal and blue are a little better, but plenty of J-teachers wear black sportscoats.

Randomgirl
May 14th, 2014, 08:18
I think that would be the men, no?

They won't dare kancho me this time, I'm way too old and frail...

webstaa
May 14th, 2014, 08:37

If you are alive, and the ES students sense weakness, you will receive at least one kancho - maybe. I've been tickled, but never kancho'd.

Jiggit
May 14th, 2014, 08:41
If you are alive, and the ES students sense weakness

Establish dominance, kancho them first.

Randomgirl
May 14th, 2014, 08:46
God, I can't believe that they are STILL kancho-ing! Haven't they discovered other things to do?! Do they still do "ain" ?! I hope not!!!

(For those not in the know, a "kancho" is an enema. Point your fingers together as if you are blowing a smoking gun. Now imagine that an ES kid was using those smoking gun fingers to kancho you. Yeah, THAT. That's a kancho)

uthinkimlost?
May 14th, 2014, 08:49
Establish dominance, kancho them first.

Hard to establish dominance when the students can see the outline of your pubis mons.

Jiggit
May 14th, 2014, 08:52
Hard to establish dominance when the students can see the outline of your pubis mons.

idgi

Gizmotech
May 14th, 2014, 08:53

Nah, I have two women coworkers who wear random color slacks, blouse/top of some type, and a women's cut black/charcoal blazer as well. It's sorta like a suit, but really isn't in any way imaginable.

uthinkimlost?
May 14th, 2014, 08:58
"Alright kids, Let's sing the 'Hello Song'!"

Randomgirl
May 14th, 2014, 09:01
Bwahaha! God no! Think moreover and flowy than that!

Ah yes, the random blazer fashions - I had forgotten about that / paired with the socks and indoor sandals!

Jiggit
May 14th, 2014, 09:16
I am TRYING to find out what female JETS *actually* wear

Most female JETs dress fairly terribly.

Female Japanese teachers, unless you're in the highest level of academic high school in a large city, have a lot of freedom. New Japanese teachers may well wear a black suit in the beginning, (usually with a skirt, wearing a trouser suit is a bit uncool in Japan) just to make a good impression but the two female teachers in my school that just started already ditched theirs. However you will need a suit for many ceremonies and conferences during the year so make sure you bring at least one. Day to day, shirts, blouses, cardigans, sweaters, anything not super casual, are all fine, slacks and conservative skirts for the lower half, though honestly you'd be fine with anything not jeans. Colour/pattern is not hugely important, though if in doubt stick to white, black, navy, grey or generally muted colours. The most important thing is not to wear anything that shows your neckline/collarbone (and absolutely no cleavage) no matter what you might think isn't that much, or much of your upper arms. Make sure you keep that covered up or people will think you're dressing a bit provocatively. Weird double standard, but Japanese girls in general will happily wear the tiniest of skirts/shorts without dreaming of wearing a remotely low cut top.

It is a lot harder for women to figure out I can appreciate, but basically imagine you're dressing to go meet your religious boyfriend's conservative parents for the first time and go for that. The basic idea is to present a certain image to the students that shows you're making an effort to follow the school rules/standards, so as long as you don't look like a slob or like you're dolled up for a night on the town you'll be fine. Oh yes, make sure your makeup is conservative/natural as possible too.

Finally, remember that ALTs get a lot of leeway and there won't be any consequences for being more casual than the teachers, especially at ES/JHS level where you're usually not a regular member of staff.

Oh, for footwear;

Basically no rules, though again, don't wear anything "provocative". Plenty of teachers wear the horrible "sandals" or tennis shoes/sneakers, though the sportswear look is a little uncool for women. If you wear shoes, as I do, then make sure you only wear them at work. Black shoes with a small heel or just pumps would probably be the best balance of style and comfort.

Jiggit
May 14th, 2014, 09:22
Mods should make a clothing thread of the last few pages.

Gizmotech
May 14th, 2014, 09:23
****good advice****

It is a lot harder for women to figure out I can appreciate, but basically imagine you're dressing to go meet your religious boyfriend's conservative parents for the first time and go for that. The basic idea is to present a certain image to the students that shows you're making an effort to follow the school rules/standards, so as long as you don't look like a slob or like you're dolled up for a night on the town you'll be fine. Oh yes, make sure your makeup is conservative/natural as possible too.

This is a really apt description of what you should think. The other thing I would suggest, now that I was thinking about some of the other ALTs, is nothing particularly skin tight. Loose fitting describes most Japanese fashion, so you don't want to show up wearing Yoga gear top to bottom, or being a bigger person shoved into a sausage casing.

Jiggit
May 14th, 2014, 09:26
Right, to me that would be obvious for dressing "conservatively" but good point. Wearing yoga pants is a double combo of dressing provocatively and like a slob.

My female teachers wear fairly close-fitting stuff, nothing super loose anyway. But you probably want to avoid kids and gym teachers ogling your exotic assets as much as possible. Nothing skin-tight, especially if you're anything larger than skinny.

spman2099
May 14th, 2014, 09:31
basically imagine you're dressing to go meet your religious boyfriend's conservative parents for the first time and go for that.

Good advice, I agree with Jiggit. You should be decked out in a full-on bondage suit. Nothing but latex and pvc. If you are still confused, think Halle Berry in that Catwoman film.

Antonath
May 14th, 2014, 09:35
Finally, remember that ALTs get a lot of leeway and there won't be any consequences for being more casual than the teachers, especially at ES/JHS level where you're usually not a regular member of staff.
This may vary depending on your schools. Some won't care if the ALT turns up in polo shirts and black jeans, others will start dropping passive-aggressive hints about "being cold/hot" or making other comments about your outfit.

As a general rule of thumb, you should look at the "average" clothing in your staff room; your vice principal will likely represent the high end, and PE teachers the low end. You should be somewhere a touch more casual than that average. Your vice principal's attire is also a good thing to watch for seasonal changes such as jackets, lengths of sleeves, etc. Change when they do.

Jiggit
May 14th, 2014, 09:41
This may vary depending on your schools. Some won't care if the ALT turns up in polo shirts and black jeans, others will start dropping passive-aggressive hints about "being cold/hot" or making other comments about your outfit.

I don't count those as consequences. If you want to make a good impression/fit in then you should follow how everyone else dresses, sure, but if you don't care then they'll give up fairly quickly.

Antonath
May 14th, 2014, 09:52
I don't count those as consequences. If you want to make a good impression/fit in then you should follow how everyone else dresses, sure, but if you don't care then they'll give up fairly quickly.
I tend to agree, but telling new ALTs there are "no consequences" to how they dress is misleading.

Jiggit
May 14th, 2014, 09:54
I tend to agree, but telling new ALTs there are "no consequences" to how they dress is misleading.

I didn't really say that though. Also you're talking about male teachers, whereas I was talking about women. Men have to dress more formally than women.

Antonath
May 14th, 2014, 10:05
I didn't really say that though. Also you're talking about male teachers, whereas I was talking about women. Men have to dress more formally than women.
At the risk of derailing things... You said "there won't be any consequences for being more casual than the teachers". I'm not sure how that and "telling new ALTs there are 'no consequences' to how they dress" are different. Also, nowhere did I mention male and female teachers.

Jiggit
May 14th, 2014, 10:29
Being "more casual" than teachers doesn't mean "dress however the fuck you want". I prefaced it with a bunch of advice about how to dress conservatively and what your coworkers will think if you don't. I think people have the ability to infer what that means.

Ini
May 14th, 2014, 10:32
you need to wear a suit/tie/formal shit on your first day. after that just look at what everyone else is wearing and copy them. simple

Jiggit
May 14th, 2014, 10:34
Doesn't help if you bring wrong stuff with you and can't fit into Japanese sizes.

Ini
May 14th, 2014, 10:36
then ask your pred, they can tell you what you need to bring. no point telling people on here to bring 3 suits and 15 dress shirts if they only need to wear a suit 3 times a year.

Jiggit
May 14th, 2014, 10:39
Except your pred might be an idiot. Also no-one has told anyone they must buy three suits and fifteen shirts, L2readingcomprehension.

Ini
May 14th, 2014, 10:43
Also no-one has told anyone they must buy three suits and fifteen shirts

I never said they did, L2readingcomprehension

Jiggit
May 14th, 2014, 10:46
OK well please continue your very valuable service of telling no one not to say something they never said.

Coolmanio
May 15th, 2014, 04:24
As I patiently await my placement news, a question popped into my head about them.

Do US ALTs usually take the placement of a departing US ALT? Does the JET Programme usually replace the departing ALTs with a new ALT from the same country, or is completely randomized??

miamicoordinator
May 15th, 2014, 04:43
As I patiently await my placement news, a question popped into my head about them.

Do US ALTs usually take the placement of a departing US ALT? Does the JET Programme usually replace the departing ALTs with a new ALT from the same country, or is completely randomized??

This is done at the request of the CO. They can request another Aussie if they had a good experience with one. However, if they have no preference, then a U.S. JET can be replaced by someone from another country, and vice a versa.

Ini
May 15th, 2014, 09:34
When I was on JET my CO refused to accept females and anyone from america or australia because of bad experiences in the past...

Jiggit
May 15th, 2014, 09:38
Sounds good to me.

Jiggit
May 15th, 2014, 09:40
Actually I can't stand most British ALTs. Maybe it's just a small sample size but the people I enjoy spending time with are almost always Americans these days. British ALTs are just whiney, uptight, boring dweebs.

Ini
May 15th, 2014, 09:43
the Irish are all right. Canadians are a bit odd and kiwis just want to go climb mountains at every given opportunity.

Jiggit
May 15th, 2014, 09:47
Canadians are a bit odd, aren't they? There's an awkwardness to them that is hard to process.

And it's funny how every kiwi is so stereotypically a kiwi.

nostos
May 15th, 2014, 10:18
Its because we can't decide if we're British or American.

Gizmotech
May 15th, 2014, 10:50
Of course Canadians are odd. They have to be so they're not americans, even though they really are....

johnny
May 15th, 2014, 11:03
I prefer being called strange. It's a cooler word.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yingyangryder
May 15th, 2014, 12:20
Actually I can't stand most British ALTs. Maybe it's just a small sample size but the people I enjoy spending time with are almost always Americans these days. British ALTs are just whiney, uptight, boring dweebs.

We love you too <3.

Coolmanio
May 15th, 2014, 14:42
One more question. In my application, I said that I do not want to drive in Japan. Will the place me in a town/city where I will need to drive or is that a request that they do follow?

johnny
May 15th, 2014, 14:43
It's unlikely they'll give you a placement that would require that you to drive.

therealwindycity
May 15th, 2014, 14:46
One more question. In my application, I said that I do not want to drive in Japan. Will the place me in a town/city where I will need to drive or is that a request that they do follow?

If you marked down that you have a license then yes, you might be. I said in my app that I would prefer not to drive and was given a placement that required driving (and now that I'm here I'm glad that I do drive). If you don't have a license, though, they obviously can't force you to get one.

Ini
May 15th, 2014, 14:48
depends how you define "need to drive"? you could get a placement that will require you to take long bus journeys/have a 1hour bike ride to work.

Gizmotech
May 15th, 2014, 14:56
One of my friends marked no license, do not want to drive.

Got stuck in a position where they told him he needed to drive and have a car. Had to go get his license right away after getting to Japan.

johnny
May 15th, 2014, 14:57
You're not serious, are you? That's crazy❗️

spman2099
May 15th, 2014, 15:33
Canadians are a bit odd, aren't they? There's an awkwardness to them that is hard to process.

Generally, most people are going to be odd as a rule of thumb. Not to mention the fact that teaching in Japan is going to draw a few of the more interesting personalities. Hell, if they aren't odd, they could probably be categorized as being "boring". I mean, there is also the possibility that they just thought you were a prick, so they were being standoffish (or felt awkward around you). That being said, I don't see how people like Jiggit or Ini could ever have problems making friends. :rolleyes:

British ALTs are just whiney, uptight, boring dweebs.

I knew a guy once who referred to people who refused to do cocaine in a very similar manner...

Jiggit
May 15th, 2014, 15:41
I'm an incredible person. If you don't like me there's something wrong with you.

spman2099
May 15th, 2014, 15:49
I'm an incredible person. If you don't like me there's something wrong with you.

Ha, good reply. I can't argue with that. At the end of the day, I just want to stick it in you, Jiggit. Scratch that. I WILL stick it in you.

Ini
May 15th, 2014, 15:50
Generally, most people are going to be odd as a rule of thumb.

of course you think that, you live in canada.

spman2099
May 15th, 2014, 15:55
of course you think that, you live in canada.

I have also been to the southern states quite a bit! Shit, I am just making your case now... Wait, I lived in California for a while, are there normal people there? Actually, don't bother answering, I already know the answer. Shoot...

Jiggit
May 15th, 2014, 15:58
Seriously though, anyone from anywhere can be cool/fun, but some stereotypes do hold true. For ALTs almost half of them are tiresome for me because they're just acting like they're in college and talking about the same 3 topics the whole time. Plus the circlejerk of misconceptions about Japan from ignorant people is very tiring.

Otherwise I just like spending time with chill people, really. And most British ALTs seem to be incredibly tense/awkward to me, whereas a lot of ALTs from elsewhere are much more open and relaxed. Might just be something I notice being from England myself.

I think I could hang out with most people on here because they're fairly interesting and though we moan about living in Japan a bit the forum atmosphere beats most of the super stereotypical/dumb complaints out of people fairly well.

sharpinthefang
May 15th, 2014, 16:40
As a British individual on these forums, i'm really feeling the love.....

Gizmotech
May 15th, 2014, 17:05
There's lots of love for british folk.

Jiggit
May 15th, 2014, 18:11
As a British individual on these forums, i'm really feeling the love.....

Just my experiences and I'm only one person. And I'm British too so it's allowed.

therealwindycity
May 15th, 2014, 20:06
There are some great British ALTs in my inaka, and also I love clotted cream. There's some British love. Also my grandma is British, but she's from Hull so I don't always like to own up to that

uzateq
May 15th, 2014, 20:28
Also my grandma is British, but she's from Hull so I don't always like to own up to that Don't blame you...

Jiggit
May 15th, 2014, 20:57
Why do Americans think British people will find it endearing when they say "I love *random stereotypical thing I think of as British*". You wouldn't like it if Japanese people were all "I LOVE AMERICA! BIG HAMBURGER DONUTS" so why do you think we're going to pat you on the back for saying "I love clotted cream"?

therealwindycity
May 15th, 2014, 21:40
Gurl, aren't you the one who's always pulling out the </sarcasm> tag?

MilkBottle
May 15th, 2014, 21:43
Am frum north so al be gerrin all kids laikin' wi' wippets!

ckrisp
May 15th, 2014, 23:41
Why do Americans think British people will find it endearing when they say "I love *random stereotypical thing I think of as British*". You wouldn't like it if Japanese people were all "I LOVE AMERICA! BIG HAMBURGER DONUTS" so why do you think we're going to pat you on the back for saying "I love clotted cream"?

But I do love clotted cream.

Side note: I studied in Newcastle for a semester. I can say it was rare I met a Geordie I'd like to hang out with again, but overall, it was pretty chill. I did make a few really good friends who I still skype. It really depends on the person though, rather than the nationality (er...so my diplomatic angel-on-the-shoulder says).

greyjoy
May 16th, 2014, 04:48
I like Doctor Who and Sherlock, so if all British people are like them, they're okay in my book.

sharpinthefang
May 16th, 2014, 06:44
I like Doctor Who and Sherlock, so if all British people are like them, they're okay in my book.
You better pray that you don't get anybody like Sherlock... Hes a cold hearted b*st*rd. (But he is v. sexy though)

johnny
May 16th, 2014, 09:02
You better pray that you don't get anybody like Sherlock... Hes a cold hearted b*st*rd. (But he is v. sexy though)

In the episode John Watson gets married, he made a very touching speech. Actually, I think they've handled Sherlock's character arc really well.

Btw, other great British shows include Rumpole of the Bailey, Chef! (Short lived though it was), Poirot, Jeeves and Wooster and my personal favourite, Yes, Minister!

Teishou
May 16th, 2014, 12:43
But I do love clotted cream.

Dafuq is clotted cream?

Even after googling it, I still don't know what to make of it.

sharpinthefang
May 16th, 2014, 15:51
Dafuq is clotted cream?

Even after googling it, I still don't know what to make of it.

Horrible nasty stuff witch is often eaton with scones and primarily in Devon.

In the episode John Watson gets married, he made a very touching speech. Actually, I think they've handled Sherlock's character arc really well.

Btw, other great British shows include Rumpole of the Bailey, Chef! (Short lived though it was), Poirot, Jeeves and Wooster and my personal favourite, Yes, Minister!

If you like some of the oldies, you should try; Mr Bean, Allo' Allo', and Fawlty Towers! I do love the Sherlock series, and agree that the speech was touching, the only downside is that its only once every two years....

Wasabi
May 17th, 2014, 03:11
I love Mr. Bean! I couldn't get into some of the more popular British stuff like Monthy Python or Dr. Who though. Go figure.

Sarenka
May 17th, 2014, 04:46
Just received my placement notification! Looks like some people will be getting them pretty soon. :)

uzateq
May 17th, 2014, 04:49
Just received my placement notification! Looks like some people will be getting them pretty soon. :) Where'd you get placed?

Randomgirl
May 17th, 2014, 04:56
Vancouver got theirs too! Placenta info in the placement sticky!

spman2099
May 17th, 2014, 05:02
I love Mr. Bean! I couldn't get into some of the more popular British stuff like Monthy Python or Dr. Who though. Go figure.

It isn't like Mr. Bean is unpopular. Hell, back in the day (in the mid 90's) Mr. Bean was one of the most popular shows on television; it was an international success.

When all is said and done Blackadder and Fawlty Towers is my jam. Those shows are off the hook. However, I don't expect every British person to act like the characters from those shows; the world would be too awesome if that was the case.

uzateq
May 17th, 2014, 05:14
I would watch Mr Bean for hours when I was really little. But you're right about Blackadder, that show is awesome. Ever tried Black Books? That's pretty funny too.

sharpinthefang
May 17th, 2014, 05:18
Oh god, it would be hell if everyone was like those characters. Nothing would ever get done!

Shincantsen
May 17th, 2014, 05:28

spman2099
May 17th, 2014, 05:34

Christ, I love auto correct.

Randomgirl
May 17th, 2014, 11:08
Bwahaha! Darn, I should proofread!! Way funnier when I don't though!!

dzima
May 17th, 2014, 11:15
Congratulations Randomgirl, hope everything works out from now on for you!

Randomgirl
May 17th, 2014, 12:02
Thanks dzima!!!