PDA

View Full Version : Trouble getting the medical form completed

lightpop
May 12th, 2014, 22:03
Hi all,

My boyfriend and I are both short listers. I've got my medical sorted out but his GP is refusing to do it and the Uni doctors are also refusing as he will no longer be a student in about 2 weeks time.

He has the Mantoux test results so it's the rest of the medical form that's causing an issue.

Does anyone have any advice as to where to go? We live in Edinburgh but obviously if he has to travel to get sorted so be it.

Also do you think it's worth getting in touch with JET to let them know what's happening?

Thank you.

miamicoordinator
May 12th, 2014, 22:26
Lightpop,

I guess the question would be why his GP is refusing to fill out the form. Does he have some medical issue that is listed on the form that his GP does not feel comfortable approving him for work in Japan? The issue will the Uni doctor also seems strange. Perhaps there is another doctor at the Uni office that might help him out? Usually there are a few Nurse Practitioners, or Doctor's who work in offices.

You can contact your coordinator to let them know you are having issues, however, the Certificate of Health is absolutely mandatory. If he can't find a way to get it filled out, he will have issues.

Hopefully another ITILer lives near Edinburgh and can give you a location.

I can tell you though, if you tell your coordinator that the doctors are refusing to fill out the form, it is going to raise to serious red flags. We have had similar situations happens before where the short-lister had a medical condition that they did not tell us about, and it was a nightmare.

Good luck!

lightpop
May 12th, 2014, 23:56
Lightpop,

I guess the question would be why his GP is refusing to fill out the form. Does he have some medical issue that is listed on the form that his GP does not feel comfortable approving him for work in Japan? The issue will the Uni doctor also seems strange. Perhaps there is another doctor at the Uni office that might help him out? Usually there are a few Nurse Practitioners, or Doctor's who work in offices.

You can contact your coordinator to let them know you are having issues, however, the Certificate of Health is absolutely mandatory. If he can't find a way to get it filled out, he will have issues.

Hopefully another ITILer lives near Edinburgh and can give you a location.

I can tell you though, if you tell your coordinator that the doctors are refusing to fill out the form, it is going to raise to serious red flags. We have had similar situations happens before where the short-lister had a medical condition that they did not tell us about, and it was a nightmare.

Good luck!

Hi, thank you for answering! He has absolutely no underlying medical conditions, absolutely fit as a fiddle! He asked why they wouldn't do it and they replied "we just don't do that kind of thing", which is utterly baffling. As for the Uni doctors, you can't have an appointment without going through the reception desk, and they're point blank refusing to let him register as he's in his last year and will be leaving in two weeks.

Thanks for your advice though, I'll tell him to hold off on letting them know for now. :)

Ocaoca
May 13th, 2014, 05:00
Try ringing up private GPs and medical practices if you have to. See if you can find a doctor's surgery that usually does forms for New Zealand or Australia as they have similar requirements to the JET one? (For example this place: Private Visa medical service - Australia in Edinburgh, Private Treatment or Surgery, Spire Hospital.
(http://www.spirehealthcare.com/edinburgh/our-facilities-treatments-and-consultants/our-treatments/australian-migrant-medicals1/))

Jiggit
May 13th, 2014, 06:31
Most UK JETs have to go private as far as I'm aware. My GP told me that anyway. Sounds like you just got lucky.

Gizmotech
May 13th, 2014, 08:01
Ya, not uncommon to do it through private clinics (or alternative clinics). The GP does not need to fill out the forms if they don't want.

word
May 13th, 2014, 09:03
Wow, the UK health system sounds kinda screwy.

But, of course, I'm from 'Murika, so LOL.

Jiggit
May 13th, 2014, 09:13
It seems fair enough to me, you're asking for a series of tests (which cost money) that you don't actually need for anything but private reasons.

Ini
May 13th, 2014, 09:17
tests? funky. in my day it was a sheet of A4 you filled out yourself and just got a GP to sign.

Jiggit
May 13th, 2014, 09:18
Didn't even have to get the TB scan?

Ini
May 13th, 2014, 09:21
needed a chest xray I think.

Jiggit
May 13th, 2014, 09:24
Same as when I went then. Fill out the form get doctor to sign it and send it with the chest x-ray.

lightpop
May 17th, 2014, 01:52
All sorted! Turns out his GP was refusing to do it as they thought there was a blood test involved... Don't know how that happened but it's sorted now. Thanks for all your responses. :)