PDA

View Full Version : Edinburgh Pre-Departure Q&A BBQ for News JETs

uzateq
May 13th, 2014, 22:09
Pre-Departure QA BBQ for New JETs | Events | JET Alumni Association UK (http://www.jetaa.org.uk/events/pre-departure-qa-bbq-for-new-jets/) Has anyone ever been to one of these? Or are any outgoing JETs planning on attending? I think there might be others around the UK but this is the only one I'm certain of (and the closest to me).

webstaa
May 14th, 2014, 08:31
If its anything like JETAA pre-departure meetings in the US, then it'll be 5-10 people repping the towns/cities/prefectures they worked in hard and giving 5-10 year out of date information.

I went to one, but it had free food. That was about all I got out of it. Except people assuring each other that mukade were really not all that common (because someone had a freakout about them on facebook.)

Gizmotech
May 14th, 2014, 09:07
They're interesting, but hardly informative in the long term sense. It's a good place to meet others who have done the job already, it's good to talk to em if you are a little nervous about going over, but like webstaa said, most of their information will likely be out of date. If it's like my orientation night, everyone had been home for a couple of years, several were almost depressing in their desire to return, and the most talkative ones were the "So I lived there for like 1 year and I know absolutely everything about Japan even though I never actually met the same person twice".

Best conversation I had was with a guy who was telling me about various beers in the country, how cheap cigarettes were, and why you should always be weary of Filipino snack girls. Funny enough, if I ever end up going to one of these when I'm done, I will likely have EXACTLY the same conversation with someone :P

word
May 14th, 2014, 10:23
...why you should always be weary of Filipino snack girls.I dunno; they can be annoying at times, but they're generally pretty nice to look at, so I can't really say that I get tired of them all that often.

Ebi
May 14th, 2014, 19:21
I went to the barbeque and the pre-departure mini-seminars offered by my consulate. The barbeque had nice free food and the seminars were somewhat helpful even though the information had to be generic since everyone was heading off to very different places. But once Tokyo Orientation was over, I never heard from or saw any of those people again.

But that was fine, really, since right after that I got to know the people I'd actually be living with in my city instead and our local orientation ended up being way more informative and relevant. There's no harm in going to pre-departure stuff, but I don't think it makes a big impact either.

johnny
May 22nd, 2014, 01:32
I still chat with a few people out of my departure city. It's neat to hear from people who live in different areas of Japan and to hear about their experiences.

Ebi
May 22nd, 2014, 19:38
I think American JETs are less likely to stay in contact with people departing from the same city than other nationalities just because there are so many of us. Seems like all of the Jamaicans and Irish JETs I've met know each other and regularly chat/visit.

Jiggit
May 22nd, 2014, 20:33
Sad.

SomePeopleJustSaySnow
May 23rd, 2014, 15:36
I still chat with a few people out of my departure city. It's neat to hear from people who live in different areas of Japan and to hear about their experiences.

Same, and partly for mercenary reasons - you never know when you might want to visit somewhere and need a free tour guide. That, plus I got to know a few good people who I might even have stayed in touch with if I wasn't in japan.