PDA

View Full Version : Furniture?

n107
April 19th, 2005, 13:08
Another question.

Do the apartments that JET provide come with furniture or are you expected to supply it all? Some people I saw mention that their preds left books and other materials behind. Would there be things like a television, microwave, etc.? You get the idea.

I just want to know if it's possible that I'll have a ready-to-live-in place. I'm sure there will be a lot of ESID chants, but from your experiences what can you tell me?

fenyx66
April 19th, 2005, 13:14
Let me take care of this one guys...

Achem..

Every Situation Is Different...

I got a fully furnished house. One Alt in the next town got a tiny apartment and a futon and a map to the nearest stores. I think the majority of people inherit or buy stuff off of their predecessors. But as they say, "Every situation is different." Just wait and see what your CO tells you when they, hopefully, contact you. But don't worry about that now, just get your forms in and you will be ok.

dobharrison
April 19th, 2005, 14:19
I just want to know if it's possible that I'll have a ready-to-live-in place. I'm sure there will be a lot of ESID chants, but from your experiences what can you tell me?

It's possible. That's as much as I can say! It really is ESID along with almost every other question about JET! I moved into a new apartment that had most things in it (i.e. washing machine, cooker, fridge, bed, etc) but had to buy a bit of furniture myself.

yabighoor
April 19th, 2005, 15:01
In my prefecture (iwate) there are 2 types of JETs...municipal and prefectural. As a prefectural I got a wodge of moolah deposited into my account about a month after i arrived (about 30man) which was to cover transportation from Tokyo and apartment furnishing. My apartment was already furnished by my pred and i bought that stuff off her, which left me with a load of play money for a month or two....fandabby doozy.

I can`t speak for the municipals as it differs from office to office.....

ESID

THREADWANK

squid
April 19th, 2005, 15:24
My predecessor was staying to live with her husband, who was still an English teacher in a nearby college, so I had to get a new, unfurnished apartment. Luckily for me, though, my supervisor pitied my situation and asked teachers at my school to donate stuff for my apartment. I got a TV/VCR, kotatsu, futon, rice maker, table, burner, and microwave oven (with an oven function), along with tons of towels. Also, my school owns a fridge and washing machine to be loaned out to the current ALT, so I got those as well. When I first went to my apartment, everything was already set up for me, too!
If you think you may be in a situation where you'll have to start with nothing, see if you can get your supervisor to get donations from other teachers. You always hear that Japanese love new things, so they probably wouldn't mind unloading last year's model on you.

fenyx66
April 19th, 2005, 15:34
That sounds like a great deal, especially the new microwave with the oven feature, I have been wanting one of those. Right now I just have a regular microwave.

thekid
April 19th, 2005, 16:14
When you get in touch with your pred then it will all become clear but as for me and people I know in my area we had the option to buy furnishings from our preds.Some people got lucky and didnt pay a penny and got the whole lot for free.Some paid 2or 3 man, me I paid 10 man for all the stuff in my apartment seeing as it was a new place and my pred had to buy all the stuff. Its alot of money but I really have everything and the apartment is sweet....
so basically some situations may differ.....but In my opinion the majority of JETs buy from their Preds....... that way you are set up.. and it would a huge pain in arse tryin to buy all your stuff in your first few weeks of Japan......

justhis1nce
April 19th, 2005, 20:13
I didn't have a predecessor, so I bought most of my stuff myself. My BOE provided a refrigerator, futon, curtains, a fan, and light fixtures. I bought a washing machine, TV, bookcases, sofa, etc... Luckily I heard about an awesome website/catalog called Nissen http://www.nissen.co.jp

It's a bit daunting at first to be confronted with an empty apartment, but I'm happy I could choose my furniture (though I'm not happy I had to pay for it...).

zz_alex_zz
April 20th, 2005, 04:06
I wonder what the predecessors do if you refuse to buy it off them. “No, I’m not paying £150 for all this furniture. You can have £10, or take the stuff home with you…”

I’m guessing the haggling potential will be ever so slightly weighted to my advantage. Hehe

I’m only messing. I’ll be in a great mood when I get to Japan, so I’ll be spreading the love!

Pandilex
April 20th, 2005, 04:39
I’m only messing. I’ll be in a great mood when I get to Japan, so I’ll be spreading the love!

:x

zz_alex_zz
April 20th, 2005, 05:27

:x

Not in a :x way, I mean "I'm in Japan and happy, take my money, take my wallet (pay off my student overdraft while you’re at it)" kind of love

Shotokai
April 20th, 2005, 10:29
my mates pred was mates with my pred and i met her before he came to Japan, she was moaning about this new ALT not wanting half her stuff and I gladly bought if off her and she sold it to other 1st and 2nd year current ALT's.

I was thus fearing a looser ALT living next door as she had made him out to be evil but infact he's one of my closest friends here in Japan. so even if you piss of your pred, realistic ones won't care much and most good hearted Preds will give you your stuff for a fair price.

nicklad
April 20th, 2005, 10:39
Newbies: be nice to your predecessor. Not only can we screw you over royally if we're close to the JTEs, but we can be extremely helpful to you during the first few weeks, and sometimes longer.

Yeah if your pred is nice to you. My pred wanted me to buy all his busted useless, old crap for 500quid.
He even told me that in the 3 years he had spent 600 quid on the stuff. And he wanted me to pay 500 quid!! Fucking no chance.
Most of it was all busted also- CD player that didnt work. Bike that was so busted it got taken away. 19th century microwave. The only thing that was worth any money was the AC.
When he contacted me the first time he made it sound like I was moving in to a great place. But I said I would wait to pay for the stuff.
I was not handing over 500 quid to some Jimmy I had spoken to once.
He left before I arrived and when I moved in I was raging. He seriously had been trying it on.
It seemed he was trying to get some cash for stuff that he had no other way of selling.
I present some money for the A/C but I am still angry at him for trying to rip me off.

As such I have only spoken to my pred once and on email about 5 times.

adammoogle
April 20th, 2005, 11:16
yeah be wary, alot of jets seem to lose all sight of reality when it comes to the value of there stuff, mine wanted 500 quid (i think only because thats about what she paid for it 2 years ago) for all the stuff, i didn't pay before i got there because all i was really getting was a 2000yen bookcase, 5000yen microwave, probably 2man for the sky perfect and vcr and that was about it (she'd even sold some of the stuff she said was in the apartment before i moved in!) alot of jets just want some cash for setting themselves up back home and the wide eyed new alt is an easy target...when i leave I'll just leave everything in the place for free and my successor can choose to keep it or dump it themselves...my advice is not to pay for anything up front and give a fair price based on your own valueation once you get to japan...trust noone!

fenyx66
April 20th, 2005, 11:45
I agree with adammoogle. When I leave, I think I am going to donate everything to the Board of Ed and slap stickers on it and tell the next Jet that it is not his/hers to sell. All the stuff I got was worth what I paid for (45,000yen) but by the time I leave it will all be out of date and I realize that some of the stuff is just too old. It is recommended to look and see what you are buying before you buy off of your pred.

Shotokai
April 20th, 2005, 12:34
I paid 10man for my stuff and got a fully furnished place, I've bought new things since, and if it weren't for the fact that my pred stayed on one week and helped me settle in, get a keitai and show me the ropes, I would have begreudged paying him.

I've bought new things, like a new sofa from Muji and an Oven and sutff so in total I will charge no more then 10man when I leave, and maybe less. it depends on the amount and quality of the things i accumulate over the years