PDA

View Full Version : Anybody want to own an English school? I have one for you.

Foole
May 16th, 2014, 00:52
Long time no see everyone. Japan has kept me busy.

I never did get onto JET (2008 rejected) but I came to Japan anyway, and now I own two English schools of my own.

Now I am selling one of them. This could be life after JET for someone wanting to stay in Japan.

PM me for details.

SticksPrime
May 19th, 2014, 17:11
Do I have to send the cheque to C.Ash or a Nigerian Prince?

jacklostinred
May 21st, 2014, 19:44
I have been involved in business for a number of years now so this is my take on this post. If you applied for 2008 intake that means you have been here for less then 6 years meaning you probably have been open no more then 5 1/2 years. Do you realistically have enough business and brand loyalty to your school to justify someone buying it? I could easily move into town and open my own school and steal half of your clients without needing to give you any money. If you owned the business for 12 years and were clearly the most established in the city it would be worth considering but 6 years isn't.

I am also going to guess that there are one of 3 reasons you are selling it and not the other. 1) The business is failing. 2) You need a lot of cash quickly (within 6 months) 3) You are too busy to keep up with demand and can't afford or find someone to fill make up for it. Seeing as you own 2, why 2 instead of 1 big one, this is unlikely.

Honestly not worth it.

Jedirust
May 21st, 2014, 23:15
I'm not sure you picked the right forum to peddle your defunct business ventures.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Foole
June 6th, 2014, 11:58
I have been involved in business for a number of years now so this is my take on this post. If you applied for 2008 intake that means you have been here for less then 6 years meaning you probably have been open no more then 5 1/2 years. Do you realistically have enough business and brand loyalty to your school to justify someone buying it? I could easily move into town and open my own school and steal half of your clients without needing to give you any money. If you owned the business for 12 years and were clearly the most established in the city it would be worth considering but 6 years isn't.

I am also going to guess that there are one of 3 reasons you are selling it and not the other. 1) The business is failing. 2) You need a lot of cash quickly (within 6 months) 3) You are too busy to keep up with demand and can't afford or find someone to fill make up for it. Seeing as you own 2, why 2 instead of 1 big one, this is unlikely.

Honestly not worth it.

#3 best fits my situation.

What I own is two franchise schools. I bought my first school in 2010 and it has become very successful in my region, to the point where I driven out nearly all of my competition.

Last year I acquired a small independent school in the same city (across town) and converted it into a franchise school. However my time and resources are stretched very thin these days, so I am selling the new school. The new region has great potential, but I'm just not in a position to exploit it anymore.

The economy being what it is these days, I am even willing to give up the school for free to anyone who wants it. I'm dead serious.

SomePeopleJustSaySnow
June 6th, 2014, 12:28
The economy being what it is these days, I am even willing to give up the school for free to anyone who wants it. I'm dead serious.

Danger, Will Robinson! Danger!

jacklostinred
June 6th, 2014, 12:43
Why is this thread even still around, and why is this guy now trying to give away an English school?

SomePeopleJustSaySnow
June 6th, 2014, 16:19
Why is this thread even still around, and why is this guy now trying to give away an English school?

He's just a charitable fella, Jack. You're always suspicious of people trying to give away apparently valuable start-up properties on an internet forum frequented by teaching assistants for no money at all.

Have some faith. :)

jacklostinred
June 6th, 2014, 17:55
He's just a charitable fella, Jack. You're always suspicious of people trying to give away apparently valuable start-up properties on an internet forum frequented by teaching assistants for no money at all.

I see the error of my ways. I'll take two.

SomePeopleJustSaySnow
June 6th, 2014, 18:03
That's the spirit! Two schools each, please!

Foole
June 8th, 2014, 15:04

Have some faith indeed. I am not charitable, I am practical. The school would be more valuable in another dedicated owner's hands than in mine. Like I said before, I am not in a position to properly grow two schools at the same time, so I am letting my expansion school go for what I think is a pretty good deal. Free.

Sounds like you're satisfied with your lot in life being nothing more than a teaching assistant. Good for you.

To anyone else out there, remember if you don't take risks, you'll always be working for someone else who did take a risk and became succesful.

PM me if you want serious information instead of snark.

SomePeopleJustSaySnow
June 8th, 2014, 18:54
Perfectly happy being a teaching assistant? No. A teacher, though - which is what I was before I came to Japan, what I am at the moment and what I'll be when I get home? Yep, perfectly happy. I earn enough to live and I enjoy my job, I can't think of a career i'd be happier in.

The snark serves a purpose - it highlights things that need to be addressed. There's a reason businesses are rarely handed about like complimentary napkins, and when somebody appears on a forum with a school to sell that rapidly becomes a 'please somebody just take it for free', a certain level of scepticism is healthy. In this case, no matter how legitimate your offer might be, the appropriate level of accompanying scepticism is set at 'high'.

The motivational speaking gems at the end of your post are, sadly, less effective than your own signature.

Stupidity should be painful.