PDA

View Full Version : Japan - land of four seasons

Jiggit
May 28th, 2014, 10:08
Does being totally unused to sunlight count? The woes of the English. No, there is no medical reason. I should eventually be able to cope... but it'll be like keeping a Polar Bear in Ueno Zoo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9kW7ZuoWbJ8

war_gem
May 28th, 2014, 10:10
Cool. Karatsu is quite close to Sasebo, Nagasaki. I'm told there's surfing in that area if that's something that interests you.
Honestly, the heat isn't so bad in this part of Kyushu. Depending on how much you're outside, I think you will adapt pretty easily. Sweat towels, Airism brand undergarments from Uniqlo, and lots of water. The staff room should be air conditioned once it gets over 30 C, so that will help.

I am glad for the location between cities. Fukuoka and Nagasaki within reasonable distance. Certainly a plus!
Just to be slightly more pathetic, I should add, I have a fear of the sea/fish... and will probably never venture further than water up to my belly button. Surfing is out.
I am fine with adapting. Just that Hokkaido, or similar, would have required slightly less.

war_gem
May 28th, 2014, 10:11
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9kW7ZuoWbJ8

He looks a lot happier than when I saw him.

mrcharisma
May 28th, 2014, 10:13
I am glad for the location between cities. Fukuoka and Nagasaki within reasonable distance. Certainly a plus!
Just to be slightly more pathetic, I should add, I have a fear of the sea/fish... and will probably never venture further than water up to my belly button. Surfing is out.
I am fine with adapting. Just that Hokkaido, or similar, would have required slightly less.

That's the exact type of can-do, self-assured attitude they're looking for on JET. You'll love it here.

Lianwen
May 28th, 2014, 10:15
Darn, Jiggy beat me to it!!!

To be honest, I'm in the north, as far as you can go without striking Hokkaido, and I've experienced the worst sunburns here (even in winter) than I ever have in America. I think you'll have issues wherever you end up in Japan.

I don't know what it is about Japan, but I don't recall it ever being a hardship in America to not wear sunglasses. It's just always so darn bright.

war_gem
May 28th, 2014, 10:24
That's the exact type of can-do, self-assured attitude they're looking for on JET. You'll love it here.

Don't get me wrong. I've wanted to visit Kyushu for a really long time. I'm just not totally sure I could spend a considerable amount of time there. Though Saga AJETs and 'upperclassmen' have been exceptionally enthusiastic. And hey, it seems Hokkaido has bad BoAs? (am I saved?)
Darn, Jiggy beat me to it!!!

To be honest, I'm in the north, as far as you can go without striking Hokkaido, and I've experienced the worst sunburns here (even in winter) than I ever have in America. I think you'll have issues wherever you end up in Japan.

I don't know what it is about Japan, but I don't recall it ever being a hardship in America to not wear sunglasses. It's just always so darn bright.
I have to squint in the UKs overcast skies. Life is a beach.

Gizmotech
May 28th, 2014, 10:29
War gem there is a solution to this though.
1 sunscreen
2 transition sun glasses
3 going outside and getting it over with

Seriously, as someone who used to be light sensitive like that, after a year of using transition lenses in my glasses I became adjusted to strong sun light.

Also, I generally suspect you just need to get out of your house/apartment for the next few months. Time to end the university hibernation.

therealwindycity
May 28th, 2014, 10:42
There isn't really that much variation in Japan outside of Tohoku/Hokkaido and Okinawa. People love to go on and on about how hot it is, but really, it's going to be extremely hot in the summer all over Honshu.

war_gem
May 28th, 2014, 10:44
Time to end the university hibernation.
How did you know, though. ;-:

No. I've always been light sensitive. You think I avoid the scant sunlight we get in the UK? It's glorious. It's also totally different from the heat in Kyushu. Its not totally unreasonable to want to ask just how far out asking for an exchange might be.

Kdes23
May 28th, 2014, 11:19
There isn't really that much variation in Japan outside of Tohoku/Hokkaido and Okinawa. People love to go on and on about how hot it is, but really, it's going to be extremely hot in the summer all over Honshu.

There are times in the summer where it's hotter in Honshu than it is in Okinawa :P

The biggest difference is that Okinawa (not sure about Kyushu) doesn't really experience a winter. It hits 15C-ish, and to the locals, that's "omg-stay-inside-it's-freezing-WHY-ARE-YOU-WEARING-A-SHORT-SLEEVE!?" cold.

Gizmotech
May 28th, 2014, 11:35
There are times in the summer where it's hotter in Honshu than it is in Okinawa :P

The biggest difference is that Okinawa (not sure about Kyushu) doesn't really experience a winter. It hits 15C-ish, and to the locals, that's "omg-stay-inside-it's-freezing-WHY-ARE-YOU-WEARING-A-SHORT-SLEEVE!?" cold.

Lol I have experienced this first hand. I gave my coat to a girl who was freezing on the walk back from the bar, which meant I was only wearing a t shirt and the group just looked at me like I was r etarded. It was 15c out and I was happy as all get out. The okinanwans were wearing parkas....

Kdes23
May 28th, 2014, 11:44
Lol I have experienced this first hand. I gave my coat to a girl who was freezing on the walk back from the bar, which meant I was only wearing a t shirt and the group just looked at me like I was r etarded. It was 15c out and I was happy as all get out. The okinanwans were wearing parkas....

Yeah, when I returned from vacation in Canada, me and my buddy spent the night in Naha before heading back to our city. We were both adjusted to the Canadian weather (-20C at the time) and we were walking around Naha at night with t-shirts and shorts. Is was like someone called in the neck-bender brigade, because everyone was staring and whispering to their friends about us.

par92186
May 28th, 2014, 11:46
I gave my coat to a girl who was freezing on the walk back from the bar

You smooth chivalrous b*stard.

BeckyJones
May 28th, 2014, 11:55
How did you know, though. ;-:

No. I've always been light sensitive. You think I avoid the scant sunlight we get in the UK? It's glorious. It's also totally different from the heat in Kyushu. Its not totally unreasonable to want to ask just how far out asking for an exchange might be.
It's not an unreasonable thought. But in practice, you will not get a change of placement. Your situation doesn't warrant it in the eyes of the program, or any BOE so you might as well get it out of your mind. JET literally is a, take it or leave it situation, as there are plenty of people waiting in line to take your position if you refuse or want a transfer.

With that said, it really doesn't matter where you live in the country, the summer will be sunny and hot. Kyushu summers are no different than Tohoku summers. The hottest place in japan is near Tokyo, not near Nagasaki. Even Hokkaido will be sunny and bright during the summer, hell sunrise there is probably 4am...

Teishou
May 28th, 2014, 13:25
Even Hokkaido will be sunny and bright during the summer, hell sunrise there is probably 4am...

Sometimes as early as 3:30A, yep. Messes with your inner clock sometimes.

BeckyJones
May 28th, 2014, 13:29

I thought Honshu's 430 was bad enough. ugh.

Teishou
May 28th, 2014, 13:34
It makes for wonderful drives, if I go to the fish market around 5.

windar
May 28th, 2014, 13:56

@wargem: Kyushu has a winter. It will be cold. You will shiver. You may even wish for sun. It will be hot too. An option is to tough it through a year on JET and trying to find a job in Nagano (one of the mildest places I've lived in Japan).

Also, if you go up into the mountains it's bound to be cooler.

Drink lots of water.

Lianwen
May 28th, 2014, 14:19

This. Especially without DST. Right now the sun comes up at about 4am. It drives me insane. I finally put cardboard over my windows this year but I still wake up at 4ish and go back to sleep and don't feel rested from about April~September.

Ini
May 28th, 2014, 14:53
??? Buy some decent curtains

Jiggit
May 28th, 2014, 14:56
Pssht like you can afford curtains on a 3.6 million yen salary.

Lianwen
May 28th, 2014, 15:03
I have a super awkward apartment set up. I'll post pictures of it in VIP sometime before I leave, but it's difficult to explain why curtains wouldn't really work.

Ini
May 28th, 2014, 15:15
make sure you dont have any of your bloomers on display, poor becky will burst out in a nosebleed.

Jiggit
May 28th, 2014, 15:18
make sure you dont have any of your bloomers on display, poor becky will burst out in a nosebleed.

She's probably using them as curtains.

Lianwen
May 28th, 2014, 15:27
She's probably using them as curtains.

They'd be very lacy, not very substantial curtains then.

Also...maybe TRWC should make this convo move to the lounge? Something like...Surviving the Japanese Seasons.

Jiggit
May 28th, 2014, 15:35
They'd be very lacy, not very substantial curtains then.

How big are your windows!?

Jintor
May 28th, 2014, 15:50
Iga in Mie. Glad to finally get the brick package.

Lianwen
May 28th, 2014, 15:51
How big are your windows!?

I live in a box. It's a room with a kitchen attached and a tatami room sectioned off (bathroom and toilet are attached and have closing doors). Two of the walls are pretty much oversized windows. I do have a set of curtains for them, but they do nothing. I have a glass and wood sliding door (mostly glass) that separates the tatami room from the kitchen. What I did this winter was put cardboard over the glass slider and the windows of the glass on the tatami side. There are still days I snap awake at 4am thinking I overslept and it's noon, but it's been a lot better this year. My apartment also isn't in the shadow of any buildings, so I get the full amount of sun. It sucks because I like to sleep with the window open to get some air circulating.

I'm probably going to recommend my successor get a sleep mask or something.

Jiggit
May 28th, 2014, 15:53
This is too much effort, I should just go the becky route "hey bitch you are have fat bum so you have massive granny panties lol homo hipster"

Looseleaf
May 28th, 2014, 15:53
The staff room will be air conditioned but the classrooms may or may not be. Probably not. You and the students have to stink it out together. Don't want try, the summer only lasts 5 months and then we get 2 weeks of autumn before winter kicks in for 5 months ^_^

Jiggit
May 28th, 2014, 15:55
In my school the regular classrooms get aircon but the classroom I teach in isn't :)

johnny
May 28th, 2014, 15:55
I live on the south-western end of Honshu, and the weather here is quite bearable. We even have a few Irish people. It's not like Eire is the land of sun and light.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

therealwindycity
May 28th, 2014, 15:56
I think maybe we Japanese know traditional way to complain about each season. It is complained by many people, for example in summer. But, maybe complaining about waking up to the sun is not good. Because we already woke up at 3:30 all seasons. It is taihen.

Also,

bad BoAs

Jiggit, how did we both miss this?! I need a gif stat!

Ini
May 28th, 2014, 15:56
I now have an image in my head of jiggit turning up the heating while suggesting to his students that they loosen their clothes if they are hot.....

Looseleaf
May 28th, 2014, 15:57
I have 28 classrooms in my jhs. 4 have aircon, 8 have fans and the rest have windows to let the bugs in.

As for kyushu, the hottest I've seen (last summer) was around 45 degrees with 90+ humidity. It's August though so you'll either been in the staff room or the boe and both of those should have aircon.

uthinkimlost?
May 28th, 2014, 16:03
I now have an image in my head of jiggit turning up the heating while suggesting to his students that they loosen their clothes if they are hot.....

He's seen a lot of scrote that way.

It's August though so you'll either been in the staff room or the boe and both of those should have aircon.

"should"

If enough teachers are out, or if it is 1/2 a degree cooler than the cutoff, they don't always run it here.

coop52
May 28th, 2014, 16:33
Curtains help a lot. You can get some that pretty much blackout the sun. They help keep your room warmer in the winter too. You can also find those plastic fans for free at festivals. I got 5 or 6 at Tokyo Orientation.

I'm trying out the "green curtain" thing in my balcony this year to see if it actually works. The plants aren't tall enough to do any good yet, but they're growing pretty fast. I haven't had to really do anything other than set it up and water it either.

Lianwen
May 28th, 2014, 16:36
The staff room will be air conditioned but the classrooms may or may not be. Probably not. You and the students have to stink it out together. Don't want try, the summer only lasts 5 months and then we get 2 weeks of autumn before winter kicks in for 5 months ^_^

My students are already starting to smell :/

jacqui
May 28th, 2014, 23:43
I live in a box. It's a room with a kitchen attached and a tatami room sectioned off (bathroom and toilet are attached and have closing doors). Two of the walls are pretty much oversized windows. I do have a set of curtains for them, but they do nothing. I have a glass and wood sliding door (mostly glass) that separates the tatami room from the kitchen. What I did this winter was put cardboard over the glass slider and the windows of the glass on the tatami side. There are still days I snap awake at 4am thinking I overslept and it's noon, but it's been a lot better this year. My apartment also isn't in the shadow of any buildings, so I get the full amount of sun. It sucks because I like to sleep with the window open to get some air circulating.

I'm probably going to recommend my successor get a sleep mask or something.
Just get some blackout/light blocking curtains. My Okinawa apartment also had tall glass doors in full sun, and those things made it seem like night time at midday.
Get the "level 3" ones (unless they have even more levels now! OMG JAPAN) because the level 1 ones are crap.