PDA

View Full Version : Tokyo Nightlife- A How to Guide- crazy stories welcomed

coheeshosho
May 29th, 2014, 15:45
Just wondering about experiences that you have had going out in Tokyo. Places to go, crazy stories, anything goes. I'll start with what I consider to be the basics for those venturing into the city at night:

1. Roppongi- Here is where you'll find the gritty bars. American style dives. It's a little grimier than Shibuya or Shinjuku.

2. Shibuya- most of the mega clubs can be found here. Lacks the gritty dives of Roppongi though some can be found.

3. Shinjuku- best part is 2 chome area where you can find the gay bars. Interesting and fun. Grittier as you get closer to Kabukicho.

I'll post more when I get time. Basically this thread is intended to highlight and inform people about the non-izakaya , non-enkai type activities that you can do in this crazy mofuka.

Jiggit
May 29th, 2014, 15:49
There are clubs in Tokyo, no way!?

mrcharisma
May 29th, 2014, 15:49
Coheeshoso, my main priority on a night out in Tokyo is avoiding people like you.

ihatefall
May 29th, 2014, 15:50
Is your favorite gas panic?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ihatefall
My main priority on a night out in Tokyo is avoiding people like you.

Hahahahhahahahaha

Jiggit
Coheeshoso, my main priority on a night out in Tokyo is avoiding people like you.

Gay people?

coheeshosho
May 29th, 2014, 15:52
Likewise!

coheeshosho
May 29th, 2014, 15:53
Wait. What is this Tokyo you speak of?

mrcharisma
May 29th, 2014, 15:53
Gay people?

and those with crazy stories about this crazy mofuka.

ihatefall
May 29th, 2014, 15:56
The thing is your can find shitty clubs and great bars in any of those areas. In shibuya there are two really great bars, (right in the thick of it) one that is my favorite in Japan. Although last weekend in Osaka, I went to space station in Namba. That is a great bar.

In Roppongi, which I generally avoid like the plague, there was a really cool bars that had beds on the second floor. I never saw anyone do more than make out up there but it was really great.

happytime
May 29th, 2014, 16:00
...there was a really cool bars that had beds on the second floor...

BEDS?! :'D

Oh my. Well it's good you didn't happen to see anything X-rated.

ihatefall
May 29th, 2014, 16:03
I didn't know what was up there but the J girl I was on date with took me up there. Then for a second, I got scared that it might be a happening bar.........then for a second I got excited that it might be a happening bar. It wasn't a happening bar.

mrcharisma
May 29th, 2014, 16:03
I never watched anyone do more than make out up there but it was really great.

Bit more accurate.

ihatefall
May 29th, 2014, 16:06
Bit more accurate.

Hahaha if there was more going on up there, I would have been watching for sure!

Think of it as an open room, with really nice military / camping cots.

happytime
May 29th, 2014, 16:06
Probably saved your eyes a lot of burning. But anyways ooooh ihatefall, gettin' them Japerneez guuurls ooooh. What a ladies' man.

happytime
May 29th, 2014, 16:07
Aww were they only singles (thin cots)? There goes my creepy image of queen-size love hotel beds randomly lined up on the second floor of a bar. But hmm, I think I like your description better anyways. Almost makes me think that those are up there for people bordering on alcohol-poisoning, not couples gettin' it on.

ihatefall
May 29th, 2014, 16:12
Probably saved your eyes a lot of burning. But anyways ooooh ihatefall, gettin' them Japerneez guuurls ooooh. What a ladies' man.

Hahhaha believe me that wasn't me bragging, just missing the single life. I haven't been single for years.

Anyway getting a Japanese girl, that isn't something to brag about, it's pretty easy. Now walk in with a traditional middle eastern girl in a head wrap and tell me you're banging her out of wedlock, maybe then I'll be mildly impressed.

happytime
May 29th, 2014, 17:15
Hahhaha believe me that wasn't me bragging, just missing the single life. I haven't been single for years.

Anyway getting a Japanese girl, that isn't something to brag about, it's pretty easy. Now walk in with a traditional middle eastern girl in a head wrap and tell me you're banging her out of wedlock, maybe then I'll be mildly impressed.

Any man who takes a traditional middle eastern (the Hijab or more extreme covering-wearing type) woman's virginity and doesn't marry her is an a--hole. They take that sh-t seriously. If she's already doin' it, though, who knows... Could happen. (Probably not though)
Even I kinda regret not remaining a virgin. ( =w=) Ah lost alotta mah market value. No sexy Korean Christian men for me, hahahaha.

I feel like this thread warrants a visit from osakavamp. Where is she when you need her?

ihatefall
May 29th, 2014, 17:24
Sorry happy time I thought you were a dude. I know they take that shit seriously, that is why I would be slightly surprised.

I heard "virgin reconstructive surgery" is popular in Korea, don't give up hope yet.

happytime
May 29th, 2014, 17:29
xDD Maybe this is getting a little too off-topic (sorry!) but ooh! I didn't know that. Maybe I'll go have that done and then try to snag myself a K-guy. >w>

Waah! I'm flattered. Don't know why though.

So uh, what about that Tokyo nightlife?

SomePeopleJustSaySnow
May 29th, 2014, 18:14
Crazy stories? Full of them.

Once I went to a club, got served a drink within thirty seconds that wasn't watered-down horse urine, listened with great pleasure to the relevant, modern music they are playing at a volume perfectly pitched to allow both dancing and pleasant conversation and went home at a reasonable time without having a fight.

Ain't nothin' stops this party machine.

itsabird
May 29th, 2014, 23:10
conversation... went home

That's hardcore.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Shincantsen
May 30th, 2014, 00:07
Isn't dancing technically not allowed in Tokyo clubs?

osakavamp
May 30th, 2014, 02:42
The thing is your can find shitty clubs and great bars in any of those areas. In shibuya there are two really great bars, (right in the thick of it) one that is my favorite in Japan. Although last weekend in Osaka, I went to space station in Namba. That is a great bar.

Space station is radical. Did you play the Super Famicom DBZ fighting game? It's pretty much the best.

osakavamp
May 30th, 2014, 02:45
I feel like this thread warrants a visit from osakavamp. Where is she when you need her?

You rang?

happytime
May 30th, 2014, 03:20
You rang?

There you are! :D Now this thread is complete.

osakavamp
May 30th, 2014, 03:33
Haha. As was proven by my verbal public stoning, I can only offer suggestions about places in the Osaka area in terms of bars or hangouts. I loved Bar MiDiAN to death and went there frequently. The owners are married and are metalheads. The place is covered in skulls and shit and the owner doesn't poor like a pansy.

I went to Rock Rock a few times but it's a party bar. People get super rowdy in there and the guys who frequent it have no conception of personal space or manners when it comes to ladies. Music also tends to suck.

Space station is rad. Lots of video games. Tends to be full of foreigners though.

There's an absinthe bar called FOG that is super mellow and darkly lit. Super relaxing. Recommend it.

Avoid clubs like PURE and Giraffe like the plague.

Antonath
May 30th, 2014, 08:47
It depends how badly the owners piss off the cops / yakuza.

ihatefall
May 30th, 2014, 09:41

The only club owner I know of that was arrested (there could be more I don't know about) was in Osaka, and he found not guilty two weeks ago.

But yes dancing is technically illegal in Japan. Unfortunately, Japan is going through this right-wing nationalistic period (that is, in some ways pretty scary).

Lianwen
May 30th, 2014, 09:42

I've heard mixed things about this. To my understanding, it's you can't dance in a bar, but clubs with a specific license allow for dancing.

BeckyJones
May 30th, 2014, 10:26
LoL. Roppongi for clubbing. Enjoy your super gonorrhea and getting mugged by the Nigerians.

mrcharisma
May 30th, 2014, 10:29
Shimokitazawa is quite nice during the evenings. If you're after the VD and crazy stories the OP is looking for it's maybe not the right place though.

happytime
May 30th, 2014, 16:11
But yes dancing is technically illegal in Japan.

Th-that's... ( owo) I would never have known.

Unfortunately, Japan is going through this right-wing nationalistic period (that is, in some ways pretty scary).

That goshdarn Abe. ;w;

Antonath
May 30th, 2014, 16:15
The dancing thing isn't Abe's fault. I think it was that right-wing mayor in osaka that first started (ab)using the regulations about dancing, and the authorities in the rest of the country picked up on it.

jwkelley
May 30th, 2014, 16:18
Space station is good when its not filled. Good starter or Ending bar. During peak hours its impossible to get a game and just too crowded.

Ini
May 30th, 2014, 16:26
The long boring answer is the law is decades old and was put into effect to stop the moral corruption of "dance halls". Fast forward a bit and nobody have a shit about that so the police stopped being so strict on enforcement and half the time the money the clubs paid to the yaks was in part to get the yak influence over the police to leave the harmless little clubs alone. Shoot forward more to 2011 and a new law came in to try and crack down on organized crime. Giving money to a yak group became an offense so clubs stopped paying. The gangs needed to make up the cash they had lost so started moving their normally back street practices of prostitution and drug dealing into the clubs. The police didn't like this and suddenly the anti dance laws started to make sense again because the clubs were becoming sources of "moral decline". The police started cracking down and that's the situation we find ourselves in now.

Edit: I forgot the other tipping point, the night that gang walked into the club and roppongi and beat someone to death. That was seen as the final straw - the gangs were running wild so the police decided enforcing the old laws would be a good show of strength

tealparadise
May 30th, 2014, 19:16
Pro tip for visiting any big city:

Just go wherever the locals say NOT to go, as it's inevitably the most obnoxious, dangerous, biggest, foreigner-filled party. And that's exactly what you're lookin for.

On that note, I had a great time at AgeHa on their gay night (now I've referenced TWO parts of the thread!). But I'd like to see what the place is like when it's not a Madonna-dubstep remix sausage-fest.

Fun fact: gay Japanese men don't know "Vogue." Foreigners were the only ones vogueing.

~~~Cultural Differences~~~~

happytime
May 30th, 2014, 19:30
Fun fact: gay Japanese men don't know "Vogue." Foreigners were the only ones vogueing.

I don't know what "Vogue"-ing is either.

Edit: I know about the magazine, but what do you mean by verb-ing it?

Antonath
May 30th, 2014, 20:01
From the reference to Madonna, I'm guessing

GuJQSAiODqI

happytime
May 30th, 2014, 20:27
"orz No one was kind enough to show me this before. Thank you, Antonath.

Libellule
May 31st, 2014, 00:03

Close! Vogueing is a type of dancing (stereotypically performed by gay men):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vogue_(dance)

osakavamp
May 31st, 2014, 01:54
Space station is good when its not filled. Good starter or Ending bar. During peak hours its impossible to get a game and just too crowded.

True.

desudesudesu
June 2nd, 2014, 07:40

~~~Cultural Differences~~~~

i'm not sure how to handle this.

almost.

Close! Vogueing is a type of dancing (stereotypically performed by gay men):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vogue_(dance)

bingo.

9f6rU-4sQZU