PDA

View Full Version : Applying to ECC (and general eikaiwa thread?)

afterwards
June 1st, 2014, 07:07
This is a long shot, but does anyone have any experience with ECC? I applied 2 weeks ago and their website says they'll contact you within 12 days if they're interested, so I'm wondering if it would be alright to call them and ask if my application was received.

There are a lot of threads about Interac, but none about the various eikaiwa, so I'm curious to see if anyone else is applying for them? Interac told me that they're only hiring for Spring 2015 now, and I would really prefer to start working this year if possible. If anyone is applying to/has experience with AEON, NOVA, GEOS or maybe smaller schools that are less well known etc. please do share! :)

zombiekelly
June 2nd, 2014, 01:58
I applied to them once and never received an email back, not even a "thanks for applying" or "we've decided not to pursue" email.

afterwards
June 2nd, 2014, 05:50
I applied to them once and never received an email back, not even a "thanks for applying" or "we've decided not to pursue" email.

Huh, good to know. Guess I will call on Monday and see if there's still a chance.

Lianwen
June 2nd, 2014, 09:04
I would really prefer to start working this year if possible.

In the past 3 years, I've been offered ECC contracts a couple times and I've helped out at a friend's ECC school under the table once in a while. If you're serious about coming over here, I'd fly over, maybe do Japanese classes and put in applications. You can't technically work, but that's how a couple of my friends found their small school/eikaiwa jobs (and one friend even got a sweet tech support job) with Minerva and Disney World Family and got visas.

coop52
June 2nd, 2014, 11:12
I applied for COCO Juku last summer when I was job hunting. The turnaround was pretty fast: about 2 weeks from filling out the app to getting an offer. I didn't take the job since I got a better offer. I have no idea how the actual job is, but the interview wasn't so bad.

artpop
June 2nd, 2014, 12:10
I applied and was invited to an interview/seminar. They didn't have any open vacancies in my area of choice however so I decided not to take up the interview offer.

afterwards
June 5th, 2014, 10:38
In the past 3 years, I've been offered ECC contracts a couple times and I've helped out at a friend's ECC school under the table once in a while. If you're serious about coming over here, I'd fly over, maybe do Japanese classes and put in applications. You can't technically work, but that's how a couple of my friends found their small school/eikaiwa jobs (and one friend even got a sweet tech support job) with Minerva and Disney World Family and got visas.

Thanks for the advice. Is it a lot easier to get a job once you're in the country? The idea of flying over to Japan without a job already lined up scares me, but maybe if I run out of options I'll have to consider it, haha.

Update: I e-mailed ECC about my application yesterday and got invited to an interview! :)

coop52
June 5th, 2014, 10:42
Be warned that most places who are willing to hire people who don't already have visas are pretty shady. It's probably a better idea to look for a job on Gaijinpot or something and find something better once you get here.

Lianwen
June 5th, 2014, 11:25
My ECC friend just informed me there's a strike going on atm.