PDA

View Full Version : For the Privacy-Concerned ALT in Japan

japanluvr
June 2nd, 2014, 05:50
I was a JET from 2011-2013. My apartment was bugged with a microphone by the Japanese teachers that worked at my base school/the city hall and they went through my trash regularly. They only revealed to me what they had done after over a year of living through that. Having no privacy makes you insane and start to think that you are crazy. I figured it out several times before they talked to me about it, but kept telling myself that no civilized person would do that to another human being on Earth, and I tried to ignore the obvious signs.

It apparently started when I told the original version of Red Riding Hood at the middle school (wolf eats Red and the grandma, woodsman cuts open the wolf, saves the girls, fills the wolf full of rocks and dumps him in a lake). Everybody wins in the Japanese version, they didn't believe me that this was the original. Forgive me for coming from a country where they tell this story to kindergarteners!

Even though these privacy destroying acts were done to me, and it definitely feels a lot like rape, the Japanese workers for the most part at my school were good people and I did not want to pursue any action against them. It is only after being back at home in America for almost a year that I'm starting to realize once again what a horrific ordeal it was for me.

If you are a JET or considering joining JET...make sure you buy one of those microphone/camera detecting devices on Amazon/Amazon.co.jp and utilize it regularly in your provided apartment and rented vehicle. It would also be a great idea to invest in a paper shredder. I am an aspiring creative writer and some of the story ideas I came up with and threw away while living there were actually brought up to me by my Japanese co-workers.

It may sound insane because...doing that to a person is insane! If you start to feel a level of creepiness beyond the obaa-san hotline in rural Japan, then this has probably already happened to you...

uthinkimlost?
June 2nd, 2014, 07:01
I was a JET from 2011-2013. My apartment was bugged with a microphone by the Japanese teachers that worked at my base school/the city hall and they went through my trash regularly. They only revealed to me what they had done after over a year of living through that. Having no privacy makes you insane and start to think that you are crazy. I figured it out several times before they talked to me about it, but kept telling myself that no civilized person would do that to another human being on Earth, and I tried to ignore the obvious signs.

It apparently started when I told the original version of Red Riding Hood at the middle school (wolf eats Red and the grandma, woodsman cuts open the wolf, saves the girls, fills the wolf full of rocks and dumps him in a lake). Everybody wins in the Japanese version, they didn't believe me that this was the original. Forgive me for coming from a country where they tell this story to kindergarteners!

Even though these privacy destroying acts were done to me, and it definitely feels a lot like rape, the Japanese workers for the most part at my school were good people and I did not want to pursue any action against them. It is only after being back at home in America for almost a year that I'm starting to realize once again what a horrific ordeal it was for me.

If you are a JET or considering joining JET...make sure you buy one of those microphone/camera detecting devices on Amazon/Amazon.co.jp and utilize it regularly in your provided apartment and rented vehicle. It would also be a great idea to invest in a paper shredder. I am an aspiring creative writer and some of the story ideas I came up with and threw away while living there were actually brought up to me by my Japanese co-workers.

It may sound insane because...doing that to a person is insane! If you start to feel a level of creepiness beyond the obaa-san hotline in rural Japan, then this has probably already happened to you...

I think you need psychiatric help. Do you have access to services?

japanluvr
June 2nd, 2014, 07:21
You can think that if you want.

Ini
June 2nd, 2014, 08:26
If you are a JET or considering joining JET...make sure you buy one of those microphone/camera detecting devices on Amazon/Amazon.co.jp and utilize it regularly in your provided apartment and rented vehicle.

Good point, also dont forget your tin foil hat to stop them reading your mind....

To any new applicant please ignore this lunatics ravings.

(now you have to ask yourself am I only saying that because its my job to spy on ALTs?)

uthinkimlost?
June 2nd, 2014, 08:33
I doubt anyone wants to sit and listen to an ALT eat a bag of doritos and a pint of ice cream then weep uncontrollably for an hour.

Although, when I put it that way...

Seriously, OP. If you believe this happened to you, you should honestly seek therapy. If it really happened, you should talk about it. If you've gone a bit loopy, you should still talk about it.

Jiggit
June 2nd, 2014, 08:35
(now you have to ask yourself am I only saying that because its my job to spy on ALTs?)

That would explain a lot.

Ananasboat
June 2nd, 2014, 08:35
I mean, Japanese people are known to love snooping. I could see it happening, but it just seems so drastic. What was the impetus? Why would they do it? Aren't there laws protecting people against wiretapping in Japan? If you knew these things why did you never remove the recording devises or tell them to stop?

Actually the more questions I pose the less likely this seems. What are you on?

Bi-Kun
June 2nd, 2014, 08:47
this is ridiculous

SomePeopleJustSaySnow
June 2nd, 2014, 08:48
What gets me is that the story he told that he believed started the whole thing? That is the exact story printed in the dual language children's books in my school library, surgery and rocks included.

Is it possible that it was a different story that caused them to spy on you? An account of the time the g-men came and replaced your jam with marmalade, perhaps?

It just seems a little... Hard to swallow.

uthinkimlost?
June 2nd, 2014, 08:51
You are very dismissive and quick to completely discredit OP for something that was a genuine concern. It wasn't a crazed rant but a cool and collected post-JET reflection that he/she felt could be helpful. Sure it seems outlandish and nothing OP says may make you believe it, but really?

I will admit this seems a bit crazy OP, but something to be aware of. Thanks.

Those with delusions often are cool and collected. They know how things really work, and understand things we don't.

What would you suggest the response be?

SomePeopleJustSaySnow
June 2nd, 2014, 09:10
You are very dismissive and quick to completely discredit OP for something that was a genuine concern. It wasn't a crazed rant but a cool and collected post-JET reflection that he/she felt could be helpful. Sure it seems outlandish and nothing OP says may make you believe it, but really?

I will admit this seems a bit crazy OP, but something to be aware of. Thanks.

I think the main problem a lot of us will have with it, content aside, is just how much of a 'post-JET' reflection it is. The ALT community here is not the most closely tied but, by extension, everybody does genuinely hear interesting news at some point. So unless the OP had absolutely zero friends, online activity, never attended meet-ups and was the only person ever to have been contracted by his particular BOE, the chances that somebody here would not have heard this news are extremely slim. Couple this with the fact that if you really wanted to hear your foreign neighbour you would just stand next to the wall in the majority of apartments, and that somewhere in the region of 99% of Japanese teachers who do not have English as a core subject would have been completely stumped by the contents of a 'creative writing piece' found in the trash... it just seems unbelievable, for many reasons.

I am half expecting OP to be part of a viral marketing campaign to advertise for electronic bug-sweeping devices.

Edit: Oh, and couple that with the fact that he made an account here specifically to tell the story of how he was psychologically tortured and is only now beginning to realise the extent of the depravity, etc, etc...

Yet his name is 'japanluvr' and he took the time to choose an avatar of cute penguins before telling us his story.

coop52
June 2nd, 2014, 09:11
OP, do you believe in gang stalking?

Ananasboat
June 2nd, 2014, 09:15
I'm also having problems believing this. So OP implied that teachers brought up to them that they were spying in them. So, they admitted to it? Why wouldn't that get brought up to, I dunno, anyone? Did OP talk to anyone about this with any power? Like, even a CIR or anything?

Calling shenanigans.

Also being recorded isn't rape, so calm yourself.

uthinkimlost?
June 2nd, 2014, 09:17
Also being recorded isn't rape, so calm yourself.

Talk to Louise Ogborn.

(Don't google that at your desk.)

SomePeopleJustSaySnow
June 2nd, 2014, 09:18
Talk to Louise Ogborn.

To my phone!

EDIT: Yeah, I remember that. Hard not to feel sorry for her, in multiple ways.

Ananasboat
June 2nd, 2014, 09:21
Talk to Louise Ogborn.

Well, when they record rape it's still obviously rape. The recording of it is heinous, but that itself is not rape. Plus, OP said it was a microphone, so at worst you're going to just hear some squeals.

Edit: but god damn her pics will be online forever for creeps like BJ to ogle, which is pretty awful to think about.

SomePeopleJustSaySnow
June 2nd, 2014, 09:23
Sometimes, I get a little bit psychic, and I'm having one of my moments - I'm seeing, I'm seeing... that this thread may end up in the lounge at some point if the current conversation continues. :)

mrcharisma
June 2nd, 2014, 09:26
OP- Did you find and remove any of their surveillance equipment?

Also, remember to hide your ip address when posting here. Never hurts to be too careful as they could still be keeping tabs on you.

uthinkimlost?
June 2nd, 2014, 09:28
Well, when they record rape it's still obviously rape. The recording of it is heinous, but that itself is not rape. Plus, OP said it was a microphone, so at worst you're going to just hear some squeals.

Edit: but god damn her pics will be online forever for creeps like BJ to ogle, which is pretty awful to think about.

The point is that recording is a violation. Not the same violation, but a violation nonetheless.

Lianwen
June 2nd, 2014, 09:28
OP, do share your town/BOE's name.

japanluvr
June 2nd, 2014, 09:29
Thanks for all your replies. The tinfoil hat may seem a bit much at first, but worn with the right set of heels---a daring fashion statement! I admit that every situation is different and hopefully no new JETs (or any JETs other than myself) will deal with anything like what I went through. I'm on nothing, lol. I actually had the same reaction to my own situation that uthinkimlost? espoused when it happened to me. I think it was a delicate set of circumstances. That version of the story may be printed in any number of books in Japan but the teachers at my base school said they were unaware of it and that it made them concerned.

therealwindycity
June 2nd, 2014, 09:33
creeps like BJ to ogle

Hey now, BJ might have his obnoxious moments, but I don't think he's a creep.

japanluvr
June 2nd, 2014, 09:36
I'm going to stop there because, as was the reason for me posting this in the first place...I am a supporter of privacy. I wanted to make sure that this doesn't happen to anyone else because it was a really frightening experience for me. I do not want to reveal my specific locale and the people involved so I wish you all the best of luck. And may you do with the information what you will. The best material they ever got from me was a William Shatner impression, so in the end no harm no foul. It's just that this whole kind of thing is quite taxing on a person.

SomePeopleJustSaySnow
June 2nd, 2014, 09:39
...The best material they ever got from me was a William Shatner impression...

Now that I would like to see.

I really want to believe you - mostly to make my next skype call home slightly more interesting - but the fact that you've addressed no concerns, given no extra information, and are simultaneously trying to convince us that you are only now realising the extent of their 'rape-like invasion of privacy' but also protecting them because they're such nice guys...

Just no. :(

Jiggit
June 2nd, 2014, 09:39

Bit much, dude.

But yeah I cannot believe this guy. Obviously if they actually did bug his apartment that is huge and absolutely justifies a crazy response. I would go fucking nuts. But there's no way.

The rest of it is fairly believable I suppose.

SomePeopleJustSaySnow
June 2nd, 2014, 09:45
But yeah I cannot believe this guy. Obviously if they actually did bug his apartment that is huge and absolutely justifies a crazy response. I would go fucking nuts. But there's no way.

The rest of it is fairly believable I suppose.

I think that's the drag. I really can't imagine a situation where somebody thinks that they're going crazy and then their co-workers say 'oh yeah, those suspicions you had? Totally right, we bugged your house and car and we go through your trash. Cool stories, by the way, why did you chuck them?' and the OP responds with 'well, that is rather strange - but hey, you got to see my impersonating the Shat so no harm no foul, you're still my bros'.

Instead of the response that I think many people would have in that situation, which would be '[invectives censored], I am telling everybody about this.'

word
June 2nd, 2014, 09:55
Yeah, nope. OP is a basket case. It's possible that a lot of this actually happened, possibly even the bugging... but the OP has drawn a bunch of ridiculous conclusions, and I don't buy any of them for a second.

japanluvr
June 2nd, 2014, 09:55
Well I have no idea what posting actual hard information/facts could do to people involved...so I'm going to avoid that. And the fact that I stupidly didn't do anything worthwhile about it while I was nuts from the situation there, automatically makes it hard to believe. I just want to give fair warning in case it wasn't an isolated incident. I'm trying not to care about justice in this case anymore because it was almost a year ago now and there doesn't seem like much I could do about it or people that would believe me. Actually this kind of thing happens everywhere in all kinds of businesses and a lot even in America.

It would be hard to explain fully, but my JTEs were the ones who started giving me hints that I was under surveillance and then I eventually (way, way too late) caught on and talked to them about it. The kyoto-sensei then said that it was because they were concerned and that they were now sorry about it. What makes me upset though is I don't know whether the shiyakusho was involved or not and if they were that is super disgusting/oh my God awful because they were pretty much in charge of my whole living situation. Anyways, I'm out. Best of luck to you all.

SomePeopleJustSaySnow
June 2nd, 2014, 10:01
The idea of giving fair warning is a noble one, but... well, to be brutally honest, a lot of places really just wouldn't care enough about you to bother spending money putting you under surveillance unless they suspected that you were doing something genuinely illegal, and even in that case they'd probably just drop round your place at inconvenient times to try to catch you in the act.

The situation you described could happen, but is far less likely than many others that are negative and probably will happen at some point to new ALTs.

I don't think we're saying it's impossible - merely that it's incredibly implausible that it happened the way you're describing it.

EDIT: What did your friends say about this situation?

Jiggit
June 2nd, 2014, 10:05
Well I have no idea what posting actual hard information/facts could do to people involved...so I'm going to avoid that. And the fact that I stupidly didn't do anything worthwhile about it while I was nuts from the situation there, automatically makes it hard to believe. I just want to give fair warning in case it wasn't an isolated incident. I'm trying not to care about justice in this case anymore because it was almost a year ago now and there doesn't seem like much I could do about it or people that would believe me. Actually this kind of thing happens everywhere in all kinds of businesses and a lot even in America.

You can pm proof to one of the mods and they can verify it without revealing any private information.

zombiekelly
June 2nd, 2014, 10:06
I'm having trouble imagining the BOE and teachers installing all this stuff and hiding it successfully. The staff in my Japan couldn't even figure out how to hook up a video camera to a laptop.

Jiggit
June 2nd, 2014, 10:09
Yeah this would require a crazy level of modernity in IT and a crazy backwards viewpoint of personal privacy/employer rights to pull off. I can only vaguely imagine a super backwards inaka school thinking this was socially acceptable and the idea of that kind of school hooking up a camera in your apartment is ludicrous.

Also if the worst thing they heard was you impersonating shatner it implies you don't masturbate, in which case you're definitely lying or crazy.

SomePeopleJustSaySnow
June 2nd, 2014, 10:16
Also if the worst thing they heard was you impersonating shatner it implies you don't masturbate, in which case you're definitely lying or crazy.

That entirely depends on whether he was impersonating Shatner in his Star trek days, his Boston Legal days or at the terrifying mid-point where he had a music career.

BeckyJones
June 2nd, 2014, 10:19

I'm sorry what are you calling me? for doing what?

mrcharisma
June 2nd, 2014, 10:38
Thanks for all your replies. The tinfoil hat may seem a bit much at first, but worn with the right set of heels---a daring fashion statement! I admit that every situation is different and hopefully no new JETs (or any JETs other than myself) will deal with anything like what I went through. I'm on nothing, lol. I actually had the same reaction to my own situation that uthinkimlost? espoused when it happened to me. I think it was a delicate set of circumstances. That version of the story may be printed in any number of books in Japan but the teachers at my base school said they were unaware of it and that it made them concerned.

I'm sorry what are you calling me? for doing what?

Ignore her. She's overweight.

Ananasboat
June 2nd, 2014, 10:41
Ignore her. She's overweight.

Mrcharisma, I've been called a whore, I've been called an asshole, I've been called lots of things before, but overweight is not one of them! These accusations against my person will not stand and I won't stop crying about it until everyone rallies to my aid.

SomePeopleJustSaySnow
June 2nd, 2014, 10:43
Mrcharisma, I've been called a whore, I've been called an asshole, I've been called lots of things before, but overweight is not one of them! These accusations against my person will not stand and I won't stop crying about it until everyone rallies to my aid.

You might be waiting a while for BJ...

coop52
June 2nd, 2014, 10:51
OP still hasn't answered my question about gang-stalking.

Lianwen
June 2nd, 2014, 10:56

OT, but I now love you a little. I will doubly make sure I sit on Jiggit or Bucky for you if you come to O~Rama with us, whenever that may be.

Ananasboat
June 2nd, 2014, 11:04
OT, but I now love you a little. I will doubly make sure I sit on Jiggit or Bucky for you if you come to O~Rama with us, whenever that may be.

You won't even know I'm there. *woosh*

Ini
June 2nd, 2014, 11:05
pipe down fatty

therealwindycity
June 2nd, 2014, 11:36
You can pm proof to one of the mods and they can verify it without revealing any private information.

DO NOT WANT

word
June 2nd, 2014, 11:47
He's not gonna do it anyway; he's clearly a complete loon.

SomePeopleJustSaySnow
June 2nd, 2014, 11:48
But a very polite one.

Ini
June 2nd, 2014, 11:51
you need to be polite at all times, you never know who is watching....

par92186
June 2nd, 2014, 13:29
you need to be polite at all times, you never know who is watching....

or apparently listening

chikorita
June 2nd, 2014, 14:20
or searching through your rubbish

SomePeopleJustSaySnow
June 2nd, 2014, 16:12
Or just telling you that they're doing all that stuff to keep you on the straight, narrow and traumatized.

kenkennif
June 2nd, 2014, 16:49

Hide your kids. Hide your wife.

tealparadise
June 3rd, 2014, 09:06
What actually happened:

They had the neighbors "keep an eye" on him for a while, and went through his trash.

The going through trash thing is actually kind of .... not common, but it happens. Because people are allowed to go through it to "check" that you're throwing things out right, it's obviously not considered private like it is elsewhere. I have heard NUMEROUS stories about gaijin trash being sorted through by "helpful" japanese people. So it's not too far (for me) to think that they'd check it to make sure there wasn't anything suspicious like signs of drug use or alcoholism.

Then JTEs let it slip that he was being "watched" aka looked out for in the creepy japanese way, and whatever word they used is the same one that could mean surveillance in a more serious context. He misinterpreted it, or they fucked up their English, and here we are a year later.

word
June 3rd, 2014, 10:38
What actually happened:

They had the neighbors "keep an eye" on him for a while, and went through his trash.

The going through trash thing is actually kind of .... not common, but it happens. Because people are allowed to go through it to "check" that you're throwing things out right, it's obviously not considered private like it is elsewhere. I have heard NUMEROUS stories about gaijin trash being sorted through by "helpful" japanese people. So it's not too far (for me) to think that they'd check it to make sure there wasn't anything suspicious like signs of drug use or alcoholism.

Then JTEs let it slip that he was being "watched" aka looked out for in the creepy japanese way, and whatever word they used is the same one that could mean surveillance in a more serious context. He misinterpreted it, or they fucked up their English, and here we are a year later.This seems quite likely.

gazztastic
June 4th, 2014, 10:05
The looking through the trash happens. So I'm sure the OP was right about that. The BOE are not going to pay money to bug an apartment and have a lovely monitoring station to keep tabs on their ALTs. And if they do maybe they could divert some of that effort into working with them.

What the BOE can do is enter your apartment when you are not there. Whether it be to fix something you asked to have fixed or just because they feel they should. If they are a good at their job they will ask you first. I was home once when I heard a key rattling in my door. I went to the hall and in walks the plumber haha. And I know for a fact that they have entered my apartment on a separate occasion, only telling me some days after the fact. Something I'm kind of mad at them about to be honest (they didn't like that I was using my veranda as storage space so in they went to clean it up, for the good of the community and all that). Knowing that can be unsettling. So while I'm sure there was no bugging, I'm pretty certain there were "concerned" people in and out of the OP's apartment from time to time. And as I said that is not the nicest thing to find out.

This is NOT, however, a regular thing. I can't stress that enough. So don't worry. They should only do this when you have asked to have something fixed or they are genuinely concerned about something. But for whatever reason, if they go into your apartment without telling you it is an invasion of privacy and I just feel bad for the OP that they had to feel like that whether any of this actually happened or not.

Let's being happy h'ok.

mrcharisma
June 4th, 2014, 10:07
Given how much of a crackpot the OP sounds to be, his or her overlords had the right idea by checking up. Can't be too careful.

BeckyJones
June 4th, 2014, 12:01
you do realize that garbage isn't private, anywhere. If you throw it out on the street it is considered fair game. I could go through your garbage, or anyones garbage if it has left their property (yes, the curb counts).

ihatefall
June 4th, 2014, 13:09
If I knew someone was going through my trash, I would wait and take pictures of them. And then put those pictures in my trash for a few weeks.

SomePeopleJustSaySnow
June 4th, 2014, 13:14
If I knew someone was going through my trash, I would wait and take pictures of them. And then put those pictures in my trash for a few weeks.

I like your style...

Gizmotech
June 4th, 2014, 13:27
you do realize that garbage isn't private, anywhere. If you throw it out on the street it is considered fair game. I could go through your garbage, or anyones garbage if it has left their property (yes, the curb counts).

In many places in the world that is actually illegal. Where I grew up there were anti scavenging laws.

BeckyJones
June 4th, 2014, 14:38
In many places in the world that is actually illegal. Where I grew up there were anti scavenging laws.

this is news to me, As far as I know it is perfectly legal in most of the US, so i assumed it was more universal.
where abouts are you from again?

chikorita
June 4th, 2014, 14:40
How does anyone even know who threw out a particular rubbish bag? Do people stand on their balconies and stake out the rubbish collection area with binoculars or something?

word
June 4th, 2014, 14:44
In lots of places (most?), you hafta write your name (and sometimes your address) on the bags. It was required everywhere I've lived.

There was a JET a few years back who took a bunch of her trash and just tossed it in the woods; someone went through it all and found receipts and mail and sh*t to tie it back to her. Big scandal, apologizing at the BoE and city office, rather large fine. I'm all for the occasional bit of plastic or broken ceramic hidden in your burnable, but don't be stupid.

chikorita
June 4th, 2014, 14:55
Ahhh, okay. Where I live, we have to put our rubbish in special bags and put it in a certain place for collection, but we don't need to write our name or anything on the bag. And yeah, throwing away rubbish in the woods and leaving all your post and receipts in the bag is just stupid (we all know you just drive to the combini/ supermarket and use their bins... minus incriminating bits of paper with your name and address, though Lawson et al probably don't care)

Gizmotech
June 4th, 2014, 15:25
this is news to me, As far as I know it is perfectly legal in most of the US, so i assumed it was more universal.
where abouts are you from again?

Up in ontario. I don't remember if it was a municipal or provincial law though, I just remember that it was technically illegal.

BeckyJones
June 4th, 2014, 15:48
Up in ontario. I don't remember if it was a municipal or provincial law though, I just remember that it was technically illegal.

curse you freedom loving canadians!!!!! you need to come to murrika, where we got better freedom. freedom to be a creeper and pick through other peoples trash.
Murrika! FUCK YA

tealparadise
June 5th, 2014, 08:35
In terms of looking through trash, I meant more of a social taboo than a legal issue.

Like, imagine someone in your home country getting worried about you. So they sneak into your garbage bin and sort it all out. Then instead of approaching you, they find out where you work and go into your office. They request a private meeting with your boss to talk about your trash habits. Then your boss confronts you with real concern about your garbage.

No, really. Just take a minute and IMAGINE someone trying to do that anywhere other than Japan.

If anyone tried to talk to me about my garbage in the USA I'd feel absolutely no shame in calling them a total nutter and shrieking at them until they left.

BeckyJones
June 5th, 2014, 08:41
it's hard to imagine because we don't give a shit about trash and don't have burnable/unburnable/pet/steel/aluminum/hazardous/spray can など garbage systems.

chikorita
June 5th, 2014, 08:42
If anyone at home went through my rubbish and then reported their 'findings' to my boss, said boss would probably call the nearest psychiatric ward and ask if they had any vacancies

word
June 5th, 2014, 08:59
Yeah but this is just one of those cultural things about Japan that's just different. Collective society is expected to monitor individuals in certain ways. If you've been putting hard plastic in your recyclable plastic bag, that's an issue that affects the community and threatens the well-being of the collective whole. They can't talk to you about it, though; that would be rude. It's much more polite to go to the authority figure above you (preferably several levels above you; the higher, the better) and speak to him (usually a him, realistically speaking).

So, yanno, that's part of what JET is all about; internationalization/learning about cultural differences.

ihatefall
June 5th, 2014, 09:22
From wee-a-boo to bug-a-boo, the story of JET

kenkennif
June 5th, 2014, 15:41
I've always wanting to get into fly-tipping. Anybody any experience with that?

ihatefall
June 5th, 2014, 16:38
I've always wanting to get into fly-tipping. Anybody any experience with that?

Shouldn't that be in the garbage thread? Mods?