PDA

View Full Version : Eyedrops for Dry/Lasered Eyes Question

hello
June 3rd, 2014, 10:54
Hi all,

I was hoping that any JETs who've had eye laser surgery, or who suffer from dry eyes, or who are just knowledgeable on eye drop products, could advise me on eye drops in Japan.

I had a quick Google and my search brought up eye drops that are minty and burn, and eye drops that had to be recalled due to sanitary issues. This makes me slightly worried as I use eye drops daily - not because I am very old, but because I had laser surgery and my eyes still get pretty dry!

At the moment I use individual vials without any preservatives (because my eyes are sensitive too, naw) such as Bion Tears and Systane. I was going to buy a whole bunch of these to tide me over until I can find where to order them online or something, but before I do, I would love to know if they are- or if something very similar is- available in Japan?

:)

coop52
June 3rd, 2014, 10:55
You can get plain eye drops here. Just look for ones that don't say "cool" on the package.

hello
June 3rd, 2014, 10:58
You can get plain eye drops here. Just look for ones that don't say "cool" on the package.

Thanks for the tip Coop52, do you happen to know any brand names? Then I can google and compare the ingredients with the ones I use atm :)

webstaa
June 4th, 2014, 08:17
1. Go to amazon.co.jp
2. Search for eye drops
3. ??????
4. Profit

hello
June 4th, 2014, 08:54
1. Go to amazon.co.jp
2. Search for eye drops
3. ??????
4. Profit

Well... the eye drops I currently use are three times as expensive on amazon.jp. So no, no profit for me there ;)

But I would love to know if products similar to what I use now are available in Japanese pharmacies?
Or even just the website for the most common Japanese pharmacy chain? I could probably look it up then.

uthinkimlost?
June 4th, 2014, 09:03
Well... the eye drops I currently use are three times as expensive on amazon.jp.

Welcome to Japan! Please enjoy your stay!

If you're a JET, ask around about an English speaking ophthalmologist in your prefecture. Talk to him or her, tell them your issues, and they can give you far better advice than us. It will also be partially covered by your insurance!

hello
June 4th, 2014, 09:51
Welcome to Japan! Please enjoy your stay!

If you're a JET, ask around about an English speaking ophthalmologist in your prefecture. Talk to him or her, tell them your issues, and they can give you far better advice than us. It will also be partially covered by your insurance!

Thank you! :)

Lianwen
June 5th, 2014, 08:58
For anyone who stumbles across this later, I use a cool version made for use with contacts. My Japan's special in a way that whenever I wear contacts, I feel like my eyes are always drying out, something I never felt in my home country (could be the pollution, lol).

But. Yeah. Minty cooling sensation. You'll feel like you're dying at first and probably want to chuck the vial at the nearest Japanese person, yelling "Whhhhhhy". But, honestly, after using them a few times, I hardly even notice the cooling sensation anymore. Mine's weak though, level 3 (out of 8? 9?). YMMV

Hopefully you can find a suitable, inexpensive substitute, Hello. iHerb has a lot organic/natural goods, including eyedrops, and they're not too expensive.

webstaa
June 5th, 2014, 12:15
One thing I never understood was the whole 'cooling' sensation thing. I made the mistake of buying cooling deodorant/body wipes for after I bike to school - they feel like wiping my body down with a mixture of bleach and hydrogen peroxide. I was convinced I was going to get some sort of chemical burn from them - and they don't actually cool you down - you just end up feeling clammy from still sweating through the menthol induced shivers.

Lianwen
June 5th, 2014, 13:05
I know for mine, they were the only ones I could find at the time. I went with the lowest strength. I can't imagine doing anything more than the level 3s.

ihatefall
June 5th, 2014, 13:12
One thing I never understood was the whole 'cooling' sensation thing. I made the mistake of buying cooling deodorant/body wipes for after I bike to school - they feel like wiping my body down with a mixture of bleach and hydrogen peroxide. I was convinced I was going to get some sort of chemical burn from them - and they don't actually cool you down - you just end up feeling clammy from still sweating through the menthol induced shivers.

Dude, one time that was the only kind available and I thought I was going to die after using them. Going from cycling in 37 degree weather to being fake menthol cool.... I had an out of body experience

hello
June 5th, 2014, 13:48
Thanks for your reply Lianwen, I'm not sure if I'm ready for cooling eye drops yet! Although I'm glad you mentioned there is a scale of cooling, I'd hate to get adventurous and grab level 8 thinking it was better value or something... it would be like laser surgery all over again :p

webstaa
June 5th, 2014, 13:50
Dude, one time that was the only kind available and I thought I was going to die after using them. Going from cycling in 37 degree weather to being fake menthol cool.... I had an out of body experience

I made the mistake of using one on my face once - I thought my face was melting off.

Lianwen
June 5th, 2014, 14:18
Thanks for your reply Lianwen, I'm not sure if I'm ready for cooling eye drops yet! Although I'm glad you mentioned there is a scale of cooling, I'd hate to get adventurous and grab level 8 thinking it was better value or something... it would be like laser surgery all over again :p

NP. I can't even imagine what an 8 is like. I thought I was dying the first time I used 3s. I probably would die with an 8.

therealwindycity
June 5th, 2014, 20:18
I made the mistake of using one on my face once - I thought my face was melting off.

I had a bad experience once after my boyfriend used "cooling" toothpaste ... I'll just leave it at that.

osakavamp
June 6th, 2014, 04:22
I had a bad experience once after my boyfriend used "cooling" toothpaste ... I'll just leave it at that.

Giiiirl.

uthinkimlost?
June 6th, 2014, 05:29
Giiiirl.

Booooyyy.

hello
June 7th, 2014, 22:37
Back to my never ending eye drops questions...

If I want to bring more than 1 pack of eye drops (which have 24 individual vials in them) do I need to fill in the medical import form? It seems a little excessive..! On a slightly different note, I read in the GIH that the 24 limit is on individual sanitary items too? Really? :/

zombiekelly
June 8th, 2014, 10:39
Not sure about the import procedures, but my local drugstore had several colors of Visine.

coop52
June 8th, 2014, 11:38
Stick them in a tampon box. Customs dudes won't touch it.

hello
June 9th, 2014, 14:28
Not sure about the import procedures, but my local drugstore had several colors of Visine.

Thanks! I have never tried visine, I'll google it :)

coop52, well they are quite strict with the tampon quantities, so you know, don't want to mix up my illegal eye drops and sanitary items, I'd be breaking two import laws in one go ;)

hello
June 9th, 2014, 15:16
Just in case anyone reads this thread in the future, I emailed the Medicinal Inspection and Guidance Division who deal with the Yakken Shoumei with my eye drop questions and received this response:

Thank you for your inquiry.

They are regarded prescribed medications. You can bring the two for one month supply without Yakkan Shoumei.

When you use one vial for one eye a day, it means the limit is 60 vials.

Thus, you can bring two boxes each.

Sincerely,

Medicinal Inspection and Guidance DivisionKanto Shinetsu Regional Bureau of Health and Welfare

So I can bring four boxes in total, and no form. Woohoo :)