PDA

View Full Version : Post the Japanese you learned today

therealwindycity
June 4th, 2014, 11:47
I thought it might be interesting to start this again. Today I learned 生粋 (きっすい、 "pure, innocent") from a Japanese friend. Specifically, she used this to describe Japanese guys in relation to American guys, which annoyed me a bit, but sometimes annoyance can be a good study motivator.

ihatefall
June 4th, 2014, 13:22
I really like Japanese puns aka ダジャレ as a method of learning. I haven't heard any news in a years though.

happytime
June 4th, 2014, 17:09
I thought it might be interesting to start this again. Today I learned 生粋 (きっすい、 "pure, innocent") from a Japanese friend. Specifically, she used this to describe Japanese guys in relation to American guys, which annoyed me a bit, but sometimes annoyance can be a good study motivator.

I don't know if it's for the same reason, but it annoys me too! If anything, I think many Japanese men are more sexual than most American guys.

Today I learned the word mikoshi (御輿/神輿), or that palanquin thing they have at festivals. During festivals where they're "transferring" a deity from one shrine to another, it holds the object in which the god's spirit resides. There are square, hexagonal, and octagonal variations. The curled up corners you sometimes find on these mikoshi are called warabite/warabide (蕨手 - fern hands), since they resemble baby ferns.

I've been trying to study up on Japanese culture recently (festivals and the like - I've had enough of "Cool Japan") 'cuz I don't know jack squat about it. Yet.

Ebi
June 4th, 2014, 18:36
I've been reading a "How to Cook for Beginners" book in Japanese lately so I've picked up some new words from that.

灰汁 [アク] = astringency found in many edible plants (potatoes, bamboo shoots, etc.) that need to be removed prior to eating, seen often in the context of あく抜き ("astringency removal")
斑 [ムラ] = uneven, used a lot in the book particularly as 焼きムラ ("uneven cooking")
研ぐ [とぐ] = The verb for washing rice (has other meanings to, like "polish", "hone", or "sharpen")
加減する [かんげん・する] = to bring out the flavor of a dish by adding ideal amounts of heat, water, or seasoning

coop52
June 4th, 2014, 19:46
One of my teachers is from Yokohama, and she introduced us inaka folks to the word トッポイ (toppoi), which is used to describe those kids who are kind of punks but aren't up to the same level as the yankii kids.

happytime
June 5th, 2014, 01:41
One of my teachers is from Yokohama, and she introduced us inaka folks to the word トッポイ (toppoi), which is used to describe those kids who are kind of punks but aren't up to the same level as the yankii kids.

Dahaha! Aww, that's kind of a cute word. I hope you don't have toooo
many of them! xD

ihatefall
June 5th, 2014, 09:48
申請書 (しんせいしょ) = written application

therealwindycity
June 5th, 2014, 15:47
死語 (しご, old catchphrases/slang/words that have died out (apparently KY and 超 are headed this route already))

ihatefall
June 5th, 2014, 16:36
死語 - old catchphrases/slang/words that have died out (apparently KY and 超 are headed this route already)

Follow your own format dude! Put the hiragana in there

osakavamp
June 5th, 2014, 17:04
Really? Chou is on its way out? What's replacing it? Meccha?

therealwindycity
June 5th, 2014, 20:15
Apparently!

happytime
June 6th, 2014, 06:48
Today I learned the words:
Shoseijutsu 処世術 worldly wisdom, secrets to success. As in, "ゆるゆる処世術" (Laid-back/loose secrets to success).

Hayabike (suru) 早引け(する) To leave school or work early. "僕もお好み焼き食べたい。塾、早引けしていくわ" (from The Manzai by Atsuko Asano)
Kiriageru 切り上げる to close, finish, round up a value. In this case, It was used to talk about finishing up/ending a lesson/activity early: "ピアノのレッスンを早めに切り上げる"

I'll find a use for these, eventually. What did you guys learn today?

webstaa
June 6th, 2014, 08:30
I finally looked up 以降(いこう)today. Means hereafter, from then on etc.

letoastingman
June 6th, 2014, 15:10
男尊女卑
Respect men, hate women.

happytime
June 6th, 2014, 15:15
男尊女卑
Respect men, hate women.

There's also the opposite, Joson-danpi 女尊男卑. B)
Oh, you nefarious troll you! You've got Windy's 'stache all wrong, it curls up more at the ends! And look at that left eyebrow! I would like to believe that Windy knows how to pluck evenly.

therealwindycity
June 6th, 2014, 15:42
I would like to believe that Windy knows how to pluck evenly.

Only a few posts in, and you already know me so well! <3

ihatefall
June 9th, 2014, 01:22
男尊女卑
Respect men, hate women.

Also if you're gonna troll do it right and at least follow the format, hiragana 'brah'.

happytime
June 9th, 2014, 06:41
Let's get some more Japanese on this thread!

Here are a few phrases that mean, "you reap what you sow/paying the consequences of your own action"

Akuin akka 悪因悪果 (Evil action can only give birth to evil consequences)
Jigou jitoku 自業自得 (Self-karma, self-earning)
Mi kara deta sabi 身から出た錆 (Rust from the body - the things you say and do will come back to you and cause you trouble. Comes from the concept of sword rust corrupting swords - maybe if you cut down more people and your sword rusts, the sword will be ruined, so you are ruining yourself?)

Here are some I learned recently:

Ten wa nibutsu wo ataezu 天は二物を与えず (learned from HunterXHunter!)
(Heaven/God does not give two gifts -- meaning, a single human being cannot possess multiple god-given talents -- each person has his/her own good and bad points and abilities)

Koketsu ni irazunba koji wo ezu 虎穴に入らずんば虎子を得ず (from Dangan Ronpa)
Nothing ventured, nothing gained

OdysseyOfNoises
June 9th, 2014, 13:02
rurumenmen - 縷々綿々- to go on and on about something in tedious detail

Learnt from Durarara! of all things...

ihatefall
June 9th, 2014, 17:48

Sooooo..... A Word thread?...

happytime
June 9th, 2014, 19:39

Oooh, that's a useful one! Thank you for sharing! :D
I've heard that show is pretty good but I've never watched! I'm too lazy to watch anything these days... (not even American TV shows.)

OdysseyOfNoises
June 9th, 2014, 19:49
Oooh, that's a useful one! Thank you for sharing! :D
I've heard that show is pretty good but I've never watched! I'm too lazy to watch anything these days... (not even American TV shows.)

Although it is really a 少年 it uses some pretty sophisticated language in some of the episodes, so from an enjoy-whilst-learning point of view it's really good.

happytime
June 12th, 2014, 13:24
I try not to post too much, but this thread doesn't seem too popular anyways, so here goes. ;w;

Today there was a small article on Yahoo Japan about this poor Japanese guy who had 10 World Cup tickets, 3 digital cameras, his laptop, and 1,000 dollars in cash stolen from him (http://headlines.yahoo.co.jp/hl?a=20140612-00000022-jij-int)while he put his bag down to wipe some dirt off his clothes. Damn. Anyways, here are some words from the article:

邦人(ほうじん) Japanese people, esp. Japanese people abroad
観戦チケット(かんせんチケット) game tickets/tickets to watch a sports game
分散(ぶんさん) distribute, decentralize disperse ("荷物は手元から離さず、貴重品は分散して所持する")
所持(しょじ) to hold, possess (an item)
スリ pickpocketing/pickpockets
本拠地(ほんきょち) headquarters
おっとり gentle, quiet
カモねぎ an easy target, a sucker

SomePeopleJustSaySnow
June 12th, 2014, 13:26
I try not to post too much...

Post more - that cat picture makes me smile every time I see it.

happytime
June 12th, 2014, 13:41
Post more - that cat picture makes me smile every time I see it.

Gasp! Y-you're...

You're Icon-ified!!!!

I'm diggin' your dog as well. (Is he yours?)

SomePeopleJustSaySnow
June 12th, 2014, 14:29
No, found him in Peru. They have a real thing about dogs wearing clothes over there - I think it might be to distinguish owned dogs from feral dogs, because there are a lot of the latter.

happytime
June 12th, 2014, 17:23
Ooh! That must be uncomfortable for the dogs when it gets hot, but at least the owners care enough about *their* dogs to distinguish them from the feral ones.
Baaaad things can happen to feral animals... :(
Oh man! I love cats and dogs. We should post Japanese words related to pets to stay on topic, lolol.

三毛猫(みけねこ) Tortoise-shell cat. (Cat with three colors - usu. white, orange, and black)
香箱座り(こうばこずわり) the cat loaf position

webstaa
June 13th, 2014, 08:45
香箱座り(こうばこずわり) the cat loaf position

And 香箱 is incense box. So its a cat in box reference...

ihatefall
June 13th, 2014, 12:40
Weird I have only seen that referred to as 箱座り (はこずわり) "box sit"

Faitoman
June 16th, 2014, 15:35
I learned 二刀流 which means dual sword fighting style and also to be involved with 2 different things. The way my friend described it was like if you had a hot dog and a hamburger you're 二刀流

I hope I explained it well, it made sense to me at the time but we were quite drunk :0)

Gizmotech
June 16th, 2014, 16:27
Ya, I've heard that with beer before.

Lego
June 19th, 2014, 03:30
paizuri

Jiggit
June 19th, 2014, 13:39
イラマチオ

happytime
June 19th, 2014, 14:32
Hey! Don't we have a special thread in the Lounge for that kind of language already? Setting a bad example... tch tch. Though it is an honor to see such big names here. :D

Lego
June 20th, 2014, 03:16
Today I learned 有名 - ゆうめい - yuumei. It means having a name, or big name, or Lego.

itsabird
June 20th, 2014, 06:18
or big name,
famous. Lego? Never heard of it.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Bi-Kun
June 20th, 2014, 06:19
Today I learned 有名 - ゆうめい - yuumei. It means having a name, or big name, or Lego.

I always thought of it as "famous".

therealwindycity
June 20th, 2014, 14:44

This is truth.

happytime
June 20th, 2014, 17:17
So 大物(おおもの) can mean Lego too then? :3

Lego
June 20th, 2014, 22:47
So 大物(おおもの) can mean Lego too then? :3

Yes. 大丈夫 - だいじょうぶ - daizyoubu also has interesting roots. While it means "it's ok" to many, it also has many inflected forms. For example, those who were able to take a jaggotry class at Kansai Gaidai often show up to prefectural orientation for JET using slang such as "daijobes", much to the chagrin of other weeaboos who were hoping to woo a japenese ladyfriend with their knowledge of katakana. What remains unknown, however, is the origin of the 字 - じ - zi, or characters, of the word. They literally appear to mean "big manly man", leading many to believe it is yet another word coined to describe Lego.

happytime
June 21st, 2014, 02:17
Hmm, hmmmm, I see! The origin of "daijobes" always escaped me previously but now I am enlightened.
Now we must wait for the arrival of this so-called "word."

webstaa
June 23rd, 2014, 14:39
Kansai Gaidai is a silly place. But at least it isn't JCMU...

therealwindycity
June 24th, 2014, 14:26
生贄(いけにえ)

scapegoat, sacrifice. The sentence I read it in:

クマが出たらおまえ生け贄にして逃げる!

SticksPrime
June 25th, 2014, 22:33
Let's start this off by making it very clear; MY JAPANESE PROFICIENCY IS BASIC! So after grabbing some quick and easy dinner at the 7&11 after a long day of travel and early morning tomorrow...

Me: 肉は何ですか?Pork ですか?
The cashier proceeds to give me a fork. FML... By the way, it tasted like pork

Ini
June 26th, 2014, 07:36
I'm confused, so what Japanese did you learn?

uthinkimlost?
June 26th, 2014, 07:40
I'm confused, so what Japanese did you learn?

ポークをしたい。

Ini
June 26th, 2014, 07:41
I bet you do you saucy minx

therealwindycity
June 26th, 2014, 08:40
Your conversations with Japanese people might be much more enjoyable if you never learn the word 肉

Edit: wait, I get it now.

Lego
June 27th, 2014, 21:58
Today I learned 肉肉肉 - にくにくにく - nikunikuniku - three meats; faggot.

Jiggit
June 27th, 2014, 22:05
豚まん

As in 顔が豚まん似ている

This is what ugly yankee sluts say to diss girls who are prettier than them.

Lego
June 27th, 2014, 22:20
Today I learned メス豚め - めすぶため - mesubutame - cunt. It was in the subtitles of Dexter when Trinity exclaimed, "stupid fucking cunt!"

smile and nod
July 29th, 2014, 23:01
Picked up the expression 「いいってことよ」(You bet!) from an old Cowboy Bebop episode. I bet it's outdated already.

azguitarist
August 1st, 2014, 15:51
Nice on 生贄(いけにえ)if you like The Legend of Zelda: Link to the Past, that word gets used all the time.

Playing Fire Emblem Awakening on the 3ds so I'll share some cool words for those interested in games.

槍 - やり lance
重騎士 - じゅうきし heavy armor knight
暗殺者 - あんさつしゃ assassin
闇魔法 - やみまほう black magic
守備 - しゅび defense (RPG stat)
魔防 - まぼう magic defense (RPG stat)
必殺 - ひっさつ crit rate (RPG stat)
回避 - かひ avoid rate (RPG stat)
装備 - そうび equipment, equipped
杖 - つえ magic staff
傷薬 - きすぐすり potion

ihatefall
August 1st, 2014, 17:34
I used those words all the time in my everyday life here in Japan.

SomePeopleJustSaySnow
August 1st, 2014, 21:54
I actually do. I stumble into the staffroom in the morning and my boss goes 'Hey Snow, what's up?' and I'm all like 'Yo man, just need to chug a few potions to get my lance up, y'know? Hashtag Magic Defence, am I right?' and then we high five and everything is cool forever.

itsabird
August 2nd, 2014, 00:46
I actually do. I stumble into the staffroom in the morning and my boss goes 'Hey Snow, what's up?' and I'm all like 'Yo man, just need to chug a few potions to get my lance up, y'know? Hashtag Magic Defence, am I right?' and then we high five and everything is cool forever.
:3

azguitarist
August 4th, 2014, 15:02
Using 'Everyday Life' in Japan as a guideline towards what kind Japanese to learn is stupid. Any moron can point at the pictures at Mcdonalds and ask their supervisor to help them buy a phone. Like those immigrants can that live somewhere for decades but can barely string a sentence together.

Every word is important, because they ALL come up at some time or another. The different contexts we learn them in help cement their multiple meanings and nuances. 回避 may mean 'avoid rate' in the context of a game, but it has more meanings that are commonly used.

These are some words from the first paragraph of Harry Potter, a book targeted at junior high students.

夫妻
正面
非常識
周辺
穴あけ
ずんぐり
肉づきの良い
目立つ
垣根越し
詮索
満ち足りる
嗅ぎつける

ihatefall
August 7th, 2014, 11:46
Simmer down 6 six strings, I was only teasing you. Personally, I do not play video games, so I don't need to get my magic vocabulary on. Sure every word is important, but knowing a lot if vocab doesn't = speaking ability (aka look at your students).

I am learning a different set of words that are particular to my situation.
返却

伝票

貸出

商品説明会

Etc.

Also I am interested in bikes and used to translate bike magazines for fun. But the vocab in those magazines isn't helpful for 95% of foreigners. Hell, most Japanese don't even know those words.

Anyway, keep up the studying I didn't mean to throw a 槍 into your thread. You seem to be doing a good job.
(And I wouldn't assume anything about a the Japanese abilities or lack there of, of other members. I there are some people here that might surprise you, because they are really hush hush. )

ihatefall
August 8th, 2014, 11:56
Just learned something from female co-workers

V, I, O
(Maybe Jiggit knows this already)

V refers to the pubic area

I refers the labia area

And

O, you guessed it, refers to the butthole

Satori Shinobi
March 17th, 2015, 15:23
I had a chance encounter with the one teacher I like and we had a few moments to chat, I learned what her age is and was told that the students don't know so I'm supposed to keep it a secret. 口が堅い - kuchi ga katai

johnny
March 24th, 2015, 10:55
猫車.

uthinkimlost?
March 24th, 2015, 10:59
I'm genuinely curious about the root of that one.

johnny
March 24th, 2015, 11:02
It's a mystery to me too. That's why I love it so much.

Jiggit
March 24th, 2015, 11:10
Wikipedia says there's multiple theories; that it can get into narrow spaces like a cat, or because it makes a rumbling [ゴロゴロ?] sound like a cat, or because its shape when upside down is similar to a curled up cat.

At least I think that's what it says:

猫車(ねこぐるま)、猫(ねこ)とも呼ばれる。理由としては、猫 (http://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E3%83%8D%E3%82%B3)のように狭いところに入ることが出来ることから来ているという説もあれば、また猫のようにゴロゴロと音を立てることを起因するとする説、裏返した姿が猫の丸まっている姿に似ているからとする説もある。

johnny
March 24th, 2015, 11:12
All interesting theories. Thanks for info. Your Japanese is better than mine.

Satori Shinobi
March 24th, 2015, 11:31
cat cart is used by crazy cat lady for the transportation of cats.

Jiggit
March 24th, 2015, 11:31
All interesting theories. Thanks for info. Your Japanese is better than mine.

I've been here longer than you, to be fair. I'm pretty poor compared to what I could be :P

Ananasboat
March 24th, 2015, 11:41
I'm just happy that I could read the wiki bit that you quoted and understood it. But damn if I could communicate at anything resembling fluency...

Jiggit
March 24th, 2015, 11:43
That's pretty impressive actually, I couldn't have done that in my first year. Did you study Japanese at college?

Ananasboat
March 24th, 2015, 11:51
That's pretty impressive actually, I couldn't have done that in my first year. Did you study Japanese at college?

Yeah, I've been studying for a few years. I could probably pass the N2 if I tried at all, but my Japanese ability is purely on paper.

Jiggit
March 24th, 2015, 11:52
Yeah my original plan was to have N1 by now. Took N3 last summer, barely studied since. I only know one guy who is really doing well at learning Japanese really.

We're just a bunch of useless, lazy assholes.

Ananasboat
March 24th, 2015, 11:56
We're just a bunch of useless, lazy assholes.

*raises glass*

Ananasboat
March 30th, 2015, 08:31
Yesterday I learned "chanpon." What is chanpon, besides an Okinawa dish? Well, it's someone who has more than one type of alcohol in front of them. I learned this word as wood factory boss poured me a glass of shitty chardonnay and handed me a beer. That guy has my back.

Zolrak 22
March 30th, 2015, 11:23
That guy has my back.

Is that what we call it these days?

Ananasboat
March 30th, 2015, 11:27
Is that what we call it these days?

Is that what we call enabling alcoholism? If so, then yes.

THE
March 31st, 2015, 14:08
Good ol brain storming is 'ブレインストーム'.

Or ブレスト for short.

Ananasboat
March 31st, 2015, 14:11
I like me some solid ブレスト time. Helps my job performance immensely.

Virgil
March 31st, 2015, 15:02
Hwow. Isn't chanpon just mixed up shit. Whether it's food or drinks. It's exactly what it sounds like I guess.

Ananasboat
March 31st, 2015, 15:40
Yeah, I suppose it is, but I didn't know it could be applied like that. +5 points to fluency.

THE
April 2nd, 2015, 15:11
日本に憧れる白人 (にほんにあこがれるはくじん)
Or, according to ALC, Wapanese.

AyaReiko
April 3rd, 2015, 12:38
Rakkasei 落花生... Apparently, there are two ways of saying peanut in Japanese. Guess who fed their anaphylactic partner their allergen, maybe?!

Noogah
April 14th, 2015, 14:50
Today I learned:
ぶりっ子 (burriko)
きみ and other forms of 'you' (before, I only knew 貴方)
地平線 (horizon)

BifCarbet
April 14th, 2015, 16:09
Today I learned:
ぶりっ子 (burriko)
きみ and other forms of 'you' (before, I only knew 貴方)
地平線 (horizon)

Add 水平線 for the sea horizon. 地 is land, so you should only use that for a land horizon.

Noogah
April 14th, 2015, 16:55
Add 水平線 for the sea horizon. 地 is land, so you should only use that for a land horizon.

Ah, thank-you for pointing that out. I typed it in kana, and let the IME do the kanji conversion.

BifCarbet
April 14th, 2015, 16:59
Ah, thank-you for pointing that out. I typed it in kana, and let the IME do the kanji conversion.

They're two different words. It's chiheisen for land and suiheisen for sea.

Penguee
April 18th, 2015, 17:48
I learned "廃炉" which is decommissioning of a nuclear reactor. I also learned "いぼ" which is wart. Yep. Stimulating conversations are what I have.

Frap
April 19th, 2015, 01:16
Been learning my hiragana and katakana thanks to this guy:

http://blog.askingfortrouble.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/preview-screens-for-itunes2-ipad-500x375.jpg

Zolrak 22
April 19th, 2015, 07:55
Oh yeah, I remember using part of that when I first started. [emoji1]

Frap
April 19th, 2015, 19:39
They work great for me. I know all 46 of each kana now! I've been using TextFugu and WaniKani, too.

Gizmotech
April 19th, 2015, 20:45
I'm gonna suggest something that will seem silly. Do your hiragana and katakana old school style.

Write em out.

A bazillion times will saying em.

It's so important to have em as rote memory rather than "knowing". I'm very glad that years ago I did it.

Frap
April 19th, 2015, 23:38
I'm gonna suggest something that will seem silly. Do your hiragana and katakana old school style.

Write em out.

A bazillion times will saying em.

It's so important to have em as rote memory rather than "knowing". I'm very glad that years ago I did it.

Yeah, I've been writing them down just as much as doing "tests" online. Every time I've written/typed/chose an answer, I've said it out loud as well!

I'm not too bad with the formation of them. It's the curly ones I find the hardest! Like a, nu, no, o, etc. Katakana is much simpler.

acpc2203
April 21st, 2015, 19:37
辞世の句 is death poem. Was reading Mishima Yukio's wikipedia page in Japanese and found it, if you are interested this is his ->益荒男が たばさむ太刀の 鞘鳴りに 幾とせ耐へて 今日の初霜 散るをいとふ 世にも人にも 先駆けて 散るこそ花と 吹く小夜嵐.

smile and nod
June 29th, 2015, 09:42
I'm based in the Northern sticks, so: 大事け?

Frap
March 25th, 2016, 10:52
was just checking the kanji for "last night" on Jisho and this is the example:

昨夜は結美のほうからいど挑んできたんだ。

Last night it was Yumi who pushed for sex.

lol! wtf?

Zolrak 22
March 25th, 2016, 14:24
was just checking the kanji for "last night" on Jisho and this is the example:

lol! wtf?
Francis, what kind of dictionary are you using?

Ananasboat
March 25th, 2016, 16:06
>"on Jisho"

He tells you bro.

acpc2203
March 26th, 2016, 18:39
Useful japanese right there

GodInStrafeMode
March 28th, 2016, 10:14
辞世の句 is death poem. Was reading Mishima Yukio's wikipedia page in Japanese and found it, if you are interested this is his ->益荒男が たばさむ太刀の 鞘鳴りに 幾とせ耐へて 今日の初霜 散るをいとふ 世にも人にも 先駆けて 散るこそ花と 吹く小夜嵐.

If only he found a talented 介錯人 huh?

also, dat Yumi :p

acpc2203
March 28th, 2016, 10:29
If only he found a talented 介錯人 huh?

also, dat Yumi :p
Yeah he didn't have a smooth time going out that's for sure.

naginataonthebrain
March 28th, 2016, 10:29
独身 which means single/unmarried. I was watching some awful variety show where a bunch of 東大 students were being snotty to 30 and 40 year old single women (most of them, I will say, were of the host club/gaudy rich lady variety).

Satori Shinobi
August 24th, 2016, 11:12
おいしそうな彼女を要ります.

GodInStrafeMode
August 24th, 2016, 11:22
seems legit

OatsCurrySummer
August 24th, 2016, 11:39
喧嘩するほど仲がいい。
Sure, if that's how you want to describe your shitty relationship.

Satori Shinobi
September 2nd, 2016, 10:59
This week I finally learned how to make gerunds in Japanese, I feel like such an idiot for not discovering this sooner.
生活は決めるのが特に難しいと思います。

Hypno-Bro
September 2nd, 2016, 11:09
休憩

I learned this today as my principle urged me to go into the break room. Not as cool as gerunds but it's a start.