PDA

View Full Version : Upgrading your flight to Japan

ckhushrenada
June 4th, 2014, 20:54
So I've been talking to several people about their experiences on JET and going to Japan. One girl said that she was given a first class ticket when she was flying over. Four other people told be they upgraded their ticket to economy plus, business and first class.

I wanted to know how common this is and if other people have upgraded as well. My total travel time is 37 hours with 29 hous of that being spent in cramped seats. I'm thinking that if it's possible to upgrade, then I would like to do that and I don't mind paying for it at all.

Does anyone else have this experience? Has anyone else upgraded their ticket?

uthinkimlost?
June 4th, 2014, 21:03
When you get your booking information it will have information about the flight and a phone number. Call the number. You can at least choose your seat.

ihatefall
June 4th, 2014, 21:05
37 hours?!?! Are you starting in Eastern Europe and flying over the states to get here? You have to be some place like South America or South Africa

coheeshosho
June 4th, 2014, 21:25
They told me that they couldn't do sh@it to upgrade me. FYI. United but it's booked through an agency

word
June 4th, 2014, 21:43
Don't talk to JET peeps; talk to the airline directly. Be all annoying and ask to speak with a supervisor if they tell you they can't do it. Worst case scenario, try and do it at the airport the day of the flight. The airline shouldn't give two f*cks how it is that you happen to have a ticket; if you're willing to pay for an upgrade and they have a seat available, you'll almost certainly get it.

And, yeah... 37 hours? Where on earth are you flying from?

Beesome
June 5th, 2014, 02:26
37 hours?!?! Are you starting in Eastern Europe and flying over the states to get here? You have to be some place like South America or South Africa

Oi! South Africa only like 19 hours if we go through dubai! :p

zombiekelly
June 5th, 2014, 05:31
I thought the program paid for the most direct flight? Even a New York flight going the wrong way wouldn't take more than 30 hours (unless you stay half a day in Turkey or something....)

uthinkimlost?
June 5th, 2014, 07:50
With layovers and departing from a backwater location with no direct flights to international hubs, I can see 37 hours.

par92186
June 5th, 2014, 08:55
37 hours would be like flying from NYC to Sydney (with 1-2 stops). being cramped into economy seating would be difficult, but at least you're not flipping the bill for it.

coheeshosho
June 5th, 2014, 09:42
Yeah, I tried to talk to the gate agent too. She said my ticket could not be upgraded. ESID I guess. United

Antonath
June 5th, 2014, 09:46
Remember that the people you fly with are potential friends and co-workers in Japan, so maybe you don't want to alienate them by flying in business class, or...

Bwaaaahaha, I can't do it. You'll never see 99% of them again, let alone be friends. Stuff 'em, and their cattle-class seats too!

webstaa
June 5th, 2014, 12:18
Remember that the people you fly with are potential friends and co-workers in Japan, so maybe you don't want to alienate them by flying in business class, or...

Bwaaaahaha, I can't do it. You'll never see 99% of them again, let alone be friends. Stuff 'em, and their cattle-class seats too!

I didn't see anybody from my prefecture before TO - and I didn't even sit next to JETs on the plane. If you want an upgrade, get one - you'll be sitting for 13 hours, why not make it comfortable if you can.

The only downside is now I have traveled to Japan on three different frequent flyer miles programs - so now I'm just shy of getting free upgrades etc for each...

kenkennif
June 5th, 2014, 15:37
Our's was completely booked out with 99% of the passengers being JETs flying from London on Virgin Airlines when we came over. It was like they had chartered it specifically just for us lot.

I got bored of my seat and just got up and flew the plane.

letoastingman
June 6th, 2014, 05:37
BETTER QUESTION:

Would you play your portable games system (DS, 3DS, or PSP) on the plane, where people could see you?

I sure hope you guys don't do that...

SomePeopleJustSaySnow
June 6th, 2014, 08:41
BETTER QUESTION:

Would you play your portable games system (DS, 3DS, or PSP) on the plane, where people could see you?

No, I would desperately hide it inside a pillowcase in case some people I would likely never see again, who are all traveling to Japan, might catch a glimpse of me enjoying a video game system and instantly assume that I was a mouth-breathing asexual who had never so much as spoken to another person due to my crippling social anxiety. I mean, lord knows that the judgment of a bunch of strangers concerning my incredibly unusual hobby is my most pressing concern on a twelve hour flight.

jacklostinred
June 6th, 2014, 09:38
BETTER QUESTION:

Yep I did. In fact I even borrowed one from the JET sitting beside me, and for some strange reason I still have friends. It is almost like people don't really care that other people play video games, but based on your view I must be mistaken.

webstaa
June 6th, 2014, 09:44
BETTER QUESTION:

As long as it isn't bothering the people around you, who the fuck cares? (Even if I don't have a game system) Who is going to look down on you - people you won't see ever again after 2 days? Its a long flight - sleep when you can, and keep yourself occupied with something, otherwise its just mind-numbingly boring.

word
June 6th, 2014, 09:46
I, too, am rather confused by letoastingman's views on portable gaming. Unless you're playing a rape sim, I don't really understand why anyone would gaf.

osakavamp
June 6th, 2014, 09:49
I have the distinct feeling that nothing could garner me more judgmental eyeballing than when I watched the entire second season of Dragon Ball Z Abridged on the flight home from Osaka last year. After that, Animal Crossing ain't no thing.

SomePeopleJustSaySnow
June 6th, 2014, 09:54
I, too, am rather confused by letoastingman's views on portable gaming.

Perhaps he simply had a really bad experience and... hold up.

I feel a poem coming on.

The Tale of letoastingman

... has been removed, because he turned out to be insufferable.

It's not on the level of a Bucky/Lianwen epic, but there's only so much I can do in ten minutes.

Antonath
June 6th, 2014, 10:03
Given that about a quarter of the people on most flights are playing games on the in-flight entertainment system, I really don't see the problem?

Perhaps letoastingman is worried about the noise if you don't use headphones, but they specifically said "see you"...

letoastingman
June 6th, 2014, 10:25
whatever dudes. more qts for me. B]

therealwindycity
June 6th, 2014, 10:31
Don't use your real photo, people! It kinda weirds me out that I even need to say that.

SomePeopleJustSaySnow
June 6th, 2014, 10:35
What the hell is a QTS?

Edit: Real photos can be useful sometimes. They let me know who to avoid if I see them trying to organize something, or offer me a drink. Or on the same street.

Lianwen
June 6th, 2014, 11:11
Guys, as long as you don't lick the plane, playing a portable video game system is just fine.

Please do not lick: the plane, your seat buddy, Japan, the PC, a Japanese person, or anything else that is not made to be licked.

jacklostinred
June 6th, 2014, 11:28
whatever dudes. more qts for me. B]

Looks like we got a real winner here.

osakavamp
June 6th, 2014, 11:33
What the hell is a QTS?

Oh my god you adorable thing. Say it out loud. kyuu-tees.

SomePeopleJustSaySnow
June 6th, 2014, 11:37

Nothing I could type at this point could sufficiently articulate the intense sense of loathing I'm feeling right now.

word
June 6th, 2014, 11:43
Guys, as long as you don't lick the plane, playing a portable video game system is just fine.

Please do not lick: the plane, your seat buddy, Japan, the PC, a Japanese person, or anything else that is not made to be licked.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r1MWe5wA3HA&feature=kp

osakavamp
June 6th, 2014, 11:47
Nothing I could type at this point could sufficiently articulate the intense sense of loathing I'm feeling right now.

Don't shoot the messenger.

mrcharisma
June 6th, 2014, 11:47

I remain confused. So does the toastingman think he's more chance of getting his end away with the flight attendants if he doesn't play computer games?

Stilll, the ramblings of this weedy-looking eccentric are far more interesting than the recent threads about garbage disposal and synthetic grapefruit.

SomePeopleJustSaySnow
June 6th, 2014, 11:49
Don't shoot the messenger.

Don't worry, absolutely none of it is directed at you.

letoastingman
June 6th, 2014, 11:49
umm, i'm not too serious when i post here guys. so anyways nice to meet you all. B]

osakavamp
June 6th, 2014, 11:50
I remain confused. So does the toastingman think he's more chance of getting his end away with the flight attendants if he doesn't play computer games?

Stilll, the ramblings of this weedy-looking eccentric are far more interesting than the recent threads about garbage disposal and synthetic grapefruit.

I can only decipher his internet speak. I can offer nothing in terms of what he thinks might get him a sweet piece of Mile High Club bootay.

letoastingman
June 6th, 2014, 11:51
SomePeopleJustSaySnow
What the hell is a QTS?

Edit: Real photos can be useful sometimes. They let me know who to avoid if I see them trying to organize something, or offer me a drink. Or on the same street.

brah, i bet if we met up, we'd have a great time! :D

I can only decipher his internet speak. I can offer nothing in terms of what he thinks might get him a sweet piece of Mile High Club bootay.

MMMMMMMMMMMMMMmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. B]

SomePeopleJustSaySnow
June 6th, 2014, 11:52
umm, i'm not too serious when i post here guys. so anyways nice to meet you all. B]

brah, i bet if we met up, we'd have a great time! http://www.ithinkimlost.com/images/smilies/biggrin.png
B]

No.

letoastingman
June 6th, 2014, 11:55
No.

brah. breh. listen. we'd have a brew, watch a ball game. share popcorn... :3

BeckyJones
June 6th, 2014, 11:56
brah? what are you, 12?

SomePeopleJustSaySnow
June 6th, 2014, 11:56
brah. breh. listen. we'd have a brew, watch a ball game. share popcorn... :3

No.

letoastingman
June 6th, 2014, 12:00
brah? what are you, 12?

um, why you so judgemental brah? You need a college degree to be a jet.
(which means i'm a college grad! disgusting, huh)

SomePeopleJustSaySnow
June 6th, 2014, 12:01

Yes.

BeckyJones
June 6th, 2014, 12:07
um, why you so judgemental brah?

You might want to get use to it, the real world is a harsh place.

You need a college degree to be a jet.
I'm all too aware of that. Try acting like one?

letoastingman
June 6th, 2014, 12:10
You might want to get use to it, the real world is a harsh place.

I'm all too aware of that. Try acting like one?

real world is so harsh... omg... only someone like me, who has seen it all knows the cruelty that lays dormant in the layman.

CAREFUL WITH ALL THAT MATURITY BRO.

osakavamp
June 6th, 2014, 12:15
um, why you so judgemental brah? You need a college degree to be a jet.

Oh my fucking god this guy's avatar, I laughed so hard.

SomePeopleJustSaySnow
June 6th, 2014, 12:23
The picture made me laugh. Everything else is still terribly wrong.

BeckyJones
June 6th, 2014, 13:03
real world is so harsh... omg... only someone like me, who has seen it all knows the cruelty that lays dormant in the layman.

CAREFUL WITH ALL THAT MATURITY BRO.

My name is Becky Jones, and I have seen evil!
I have seen horror!
I have seen the unholy maggots which feast in the dark recesses of the human soul!
I have seen all this, boy. But until today, I had never seen... *you*!

therealwindycity
June 6th, 2014, 13:15

Omg I almost pissed myself laughing

ihatefall
June 6th, 2014, 13:32

Hahaha dude's a dick, but that avatar is pretty fucking funny

SomePeopleJustSaySnow
June 6th, 2014, 13:37
Hahaha dude's a dick, but that avatar is pretty fucking funny

My feelings - perfectly encapsulated.

letoastingman
June 6th, 2014, 14:57
we're all just fucking around here though, aren't we mates? i mean, seriously, i try not to be a dick irl. super promise. >=^)

SomePeopleJustSaySnow
June 6th, 2014, 15:21
Could you maybe try harder not to be one here?

Okay, for me, this is the problem - all the brah, and the QTs, and the stupid frat-boy attitude - it's just messing around on the internet, we get that. But it's also a breed of ALT that very much exists and that a) causes problems for the rest of us, b) is really, really annoying and c) is incredibly embarrassing, generally, because they mistakenly believe that people are laughing with them rather than at them.

Changing the picture? That made me, and a few others, laugh like hell. Even the guy with the original.

Tossing B] and teen-speak and misplaced confidence and cooler-than-thou nonsense about for your first few posts? Just makes you seem like a dick.

Ini
June 6th, 2014, 15:32
jon snow doesn't speak for the rest of us. keep on doing you brah

SomePeopleJustSaySnow
June 6th, 2014, 15:36

Ice and Fire Jon Snow or ITN Jon Snow?

Also, you're a terrible person and you made me smile.

therealwindycity
June 6th, 2014, 15:44

Ini's the bro-iest bro who ever bro-ed.

SomePeopleJustSaySnow
June 6th, 2014, 15:56
Ini's the bro-iest bro who ever bro-ed.

I'm down with ini. He's my homedog. My brah-wn cocktail. My salty cracker.

therealwindycity
June 6th, 2014, 16:09
There may be no more perfect phrase to describe Ini than "salty cracker"

letoastingman
June 6th, 2014, 16:21
Could you maybe try harder not to be one here?

Okay, for me, this is the problem - all the brah, and the QTs, and the stupid frat-boy attitude - it's just messing around on the internet, we get that. But it's also a breed of ALT that very much exists and that a) causes problems for the rest of us, b) is really, really annoying and c) is incredibly embarrassing, generally, because they mistakenly believe that people are laughing with them rather than at them.

Changing the picture? That made me, and a few others, laugh like hell. Even the guy with the original.

Tossing B] and teen-speak and misplaced confidence and cooler-than-thou nonsense about for your first few posts? Just makes you seem like a dick.

i'm only gonna type this out once, because when you explain things, you also explain away the magic and humor.
bro types? maybe they're not that bad. in fact, some of the most fun, down to earth people i've ever known have been in frats. maybe you should reevaluate your stereotypes and not be super judgemental! sure, sometimes they party TOO HARD, but on the flip side, I used to be this, like, "i'm smarter than all of you, stupid bro guys, they're all probably jerks, blah blah blah" kind of guy, and it took me a while to grow out of it.

am i gonna shitpost online? yeah, but not here anymore (after explaining everything like this) why? it's fun, and really the only place left where you can act like a retard all you want.

changing the picture? i did that because it made me laugh. in fact everything i do is because i think it's funny, personally. it's a good way to be maybe.

QT girls? You don't like QT girls? (or guys) sorry, but i'm a hetero male. i like qts, man.
hint: the most QT girls don't even come from asia. i think iran produces the most qt girls in the world.

in terms of appearing like a dick online, and censorship:
frankly, i wonder about communities (reddit comes to mind.) where controversial, or unpleasant things can be hidden, or evaded entirely by joining a very selective community. pre-internet, these communities were much smaller, and had to interact much more. and i think they were less able to shut out "antagonists" who didn't approve, or would call them disgusting or whatever. it's kind of a new thing for our generation, where you can go online, and find other people who like fat furries wearing diapers and shit, and sort of exist in a community where there are a bunch of other people like that.

is it high and mighty, and douchey for me to be like, "YO FURFAGS, UR DISGUSTIN'" ? it is. but sometimes i wonder what will happen to these groups, if they can exist in their bubbles. what does that have to do with itil? not too much, you're all a small community, and mostly taking the piss out each other (with maybe a few people who think they're better than all the "retards") but it's still fun to go onto a japan enthusiast message board, and be like, "SURE HOPE YOU'RE NOT PLAYIN GAMES ON THE PLANE!!"

k thnx 4 readin

therealwindycity
June 6th, 2014, 16:27
I fail to grasp the point of any of this.

Also this is getting pretty off-topic, and I don't see anything that's worth spinning off into its own thread ...

Ini
June 6th, 2014, 16:31
I may be wrong but i think he's looking for a partner for the end of the world

SomePeopleJustSaySnow
June 6th, 2014, 16:35
Destroy it all. I've already got the bits I need to remember this forever.

Also... did I just literally accidentally exile someone?

In addition... do you think he knows that I'm not American?

EDIT: Reality just caught up - what the hell did I just read? Did he just have some kind of breakdown?

SomePeopleJustSaySnow
June 6th, 2014, 16:36
I may be wrong but i think he's looking for a partner for the end of the world

Not... a reference I would expect from you.

letoastingman
June 6th, 2014, 17:13
i don't know. you guys don't enjoy eating shit sometimes? like, it tastes terrible and everything is awful, but that awfulness itself is kind of attractive sometimes.

its like living in a party house, where it's always a fucking mess, and the floor is sticky, randoms passed out on the floor, getting sunburn from the sun coming through the blinds. so you stumble out of bed, and everything is shit, but at the same time you're free to be as shit as you want, there's no expectations, and you get downstairs, and you pour a bowl of cereal (into a bowl you just had to wash) and then when you look inside the fridge... there's milk! like a golden ray of hope amongst the shit, and that bowl of cereal is all the sweeter for it.

no? anybody? ... guys?

SomePeopleJustSaySnow
June 6th, 2014, 17:14
Sorry brah.

The magic has gone.

par92186
June 6th, 2014, 17:50
you guys don't enjoy eating shit sometimes? like, it tastes terrible and everything is awful, but that awfulness itself is kind of attractive sometimes ?

...god I hope you applied through Interac

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

par92186
June 6th, 2014, 18:03
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/06/06/asybapez.jpg

letoastingman
June 7th, 2014, 08:03
...god I hope you applied through Interac

1) nice, way to diss interac people. very judgemental of you
2) nope, i'm applying through JET
3) i find it ironic that my message was lost on you, considering your signature.

check and mate buddy. B]

par92186
June 7th, 2014, 09:27
1) nice, way to diss interac people. very judgemental of you
2) nope, i'm applying through JET
3) i find it ironic that my message was lost on you, considering your signature.

check and mate buddy. B]

Clearly sarcasm was lost on you haha

SomePeopleJustSaySnow
June 7th, 2014, 09:47
Oh Jesus Christ, I thought you were dead!

I'm going to pull a Word on you, break down your breakdown, and then leave it at that.

i'm only gonna type this out once, because when you explain things, you also explain away the magic and humor.

The humour was minimal, and the magic non-existent. You attempted to troll a community that does a better job of trolling itself, and you succeeded only in that you managed to keep me vaguely distracted during a day where I didn't have anything to do besides marking exams. So... good job? I guess?

bro types? maybe they're not that bad. in fact, some of the most fun, down to earth people i've ever known have been in frats. maybe you should reevaluate your stereotypes and not be super judgemental! sure, sometimes they party TOO HARD, but on the flip side, I used to be this, like, "i'm smarter than all of you, stupid bro guys, they're all probably jerks, blah blah blah" kind of guy, and it took me a while to grow out of it.

Dual point here - we're not saying that, and you haven't grown out of it. We're not saying that 'bro-types' are inherently stupid. They do have a higher chance of it than some others in the american college strata, but it's very hard to judge how intelligent a person is without knowing them. You can, however, judge how intelligent they sound - and typing out your bro-speak makes you sound like a moron. Doesn't mean you are one - just means that you sound like one. Actual frat boys don't do that sort of thing, because they're generally not wasting their time online.

And the second point - you haven't grown out of it. You've simply shifted the target, and now falsely believe that any one of several other groups are 'dumb'. All you've said is 'if you spend time with a community you can learn to appreciate them'. Congratulations, I think humans as whole worked that out sometime around the discovery of fire.

am i gonna shitpost online? yeah, but not here anymore (after explaining everything like this) why? it's fun, and really the only place left where you can act like a retard all you want.

Except, it's not. The moment you had to stop and write the entirety of the post I'm quoting, it stopped being fun, because you were documenting how you failed. And technically you can act like a 'retard' anywhere, it's just the internet is the generally accepted place for cowards to do it because there are no long-lasting social ramifications.

changing the picture? i did that because it made me laugh. in fact everything i do is because i think it's funny, personally. it's a good way to be maybe.

It made us laugh too... but then again, we also laugh at gifs of korean pop stars, arguments that involve two equally invalid points of view and Becky Jones / Lianwen slash fiction. The bar is not that high, I'm afraid.

QT girls? You don't like QT girls? (or guys) sorry, but i'm a hetero male. i like qts, man.
hint: the most QT girls don't even come from asia. i think iran produces the most qt girls in the world.

I... think you're straying off topic.

in terms of appearing like a dick online, and censorship:
frankly, i wonder about communities (reddit comes to mind.) where controversial, or unpleasant things can be hidden, or evaded entirely by joining a very selective community. pre-internet, these communities were much smaller, and had to interact much more. and i think they were less able to shut out "antagonists" who didn't approve, or would call them disgusting or whatever. it's kind of a new thing for our generation, where you can go online, and find other people who like fat furries wearing diapers and shit, and sort of exist in a community where there are a bunch of other people like that.

This is not Internet History 101.

is it high and mighty, and douchey for me to be like, "YO FURFAGS, UR DISGUSTIN'" ? it is. but sometimes i wonder what will happen to these groups, if they can exist in their bubbles.

Is that a rhetorical trick question? Hell, that's awesome. The answer is 'they will continue existing in bubbles'.

what does that have to do with itil? not too much, you're all a small community, and mostly taking the piss out each other (with maybe a few people who think they're better than all the "retards") but it's still fun to go onto a japan enthusiast message board, and be like, "SURE HOPE YOU'RE NOT PLAYIN GAMES ON THE PLANE!!"

This is where the biggest problem lies - we're not a 'Japan Enthusiast Message Board'. Japan enthusiasts get kicked to the curb reasonably quickly here, because the reality is that Japan is essentially exactly the same as any other developed country in the world. Some parts are better, some parts are worse, you move here to work in their school system and find that out for yourself. If anything, an actual job in japan might be the best thing to cure people of their 'Japan enthusiasm', and from what I gather that's partly why this forum exists. I'm here because I love my job, but certain parts of my day are boring or annoying and it's nice to have other people to talk to in my native language who understand those minor boredoms / annoyances. Word is here to have long debates with people, Becky to cause amusing controversy, Ini as a spy for the government.

The only thing we have in common is that we happen to either live, have lived or will be living in Japan whilst working as a language teacher / assistant language teacher. I don't think anyone here thinks that they're better than all the 'retards' - and if they did, they too would be kicked to the curb just as quickly.

And finally, I just... don't see the point. Why is it fun to go onto a message board and state an opinion - not a controversial one, mind you, just an idiotic one - and then a few hours later have a full-on 'you guys aren't playing fair' breakdown? It makes me genuinely worry, a tiny bit, about your mental state - you lasted less than a day before giving up, and the only person who really cared about it was me (and that care is rapidly draining as I type this, because Wording it up ain't easy).

So I guess what I'm saying is...

I'm sorry.

I really, genuinely feel sorry for you.

I'm sorry we weren't all that you hoped for. I'm sorry we didn't jump at your posts like terrified hambeasts, enraged that the sanctity of their treasured domain was being invaded by a guy who *gasp* didn't like playing games on a plane. I'm sorry we're not japan enthusiasts. I'm sorry your interactions with both BeckyJones and Ini were so short - they could have taught you a lot. I'm sorry that you used your own picture as your avatar, so now as I type this I'm imagining you with that same moustache-and-eyebrow combination and I can't help but chuckle a little. I'm sorry you didn't try very hard, and that you weren't more interesting. And, most of all, I'm sorry that I started to Word at you because it turns out this takes ages and I'm getting pretty bored now.

But remember - the brightest stars are the quickest to fade out. Goodnight, sweet prince of toast - you will forever be remembered as 'that bro guy who didn't really understand irony, or the internet in general'.

Oh, and one last thing...

i don't know. you guys don't enjoy eating shit sometimes? like, it tastes terrible and everything is awful, but that awfulness itself is kind of attractive sometimes.

its like living in a party house, where it's always a fucking mess, and the floor is sticky, randoms passed out on the floor, getting sunburn from the sun coming through the blinds. so you stumble out of bed, and everything is shit, but at the same time you're free to be as shit as you want, there's no expectations, and you get downstairs, and you pour a bowl of cereal (into a bowl you just had to wash) and then when you look inside the fridge... there's milk! like a golden ray of hope amongst the shit, and that bowl of cereal is all the sweeter for it.

no? anybody? ... guys?

I'm not really a fan of japanese milk, but I hear that one of my friends actually managed to snag an upgrade when she came for JET - it was a few years ago, but from what I remember there were empty seats and she just asked.

Back on topic.

letoastingman
June 7th, 2014, 10:17
your self importance levels on this internet message board are way too high.

i take back what i said earlier. if these posts are a geniune indication of your real life attitude, then i'm sorry, but we might not get along in person.

take some time off from the internet, go outside and enjoy life a little bit. everything will be the same when you come back, minus one guy who got flamed out by a jaded japan enthusiast.

account should be deleted within the day.

word
June 7th, 2014, 10:56

par92186
June 7th, 2014, 12:27

Haha after I posted the pic I realized the black backgrounds. Took a screen shot on my phone from google images and failed miserably. I have much to learn word.

par92186
June 7th, 2014, 12:40
i take back what i said earlier.

Toast, don't take it so personal. This forum is just littered with people trolling one another with sprinkles of brilliant banter and also really helpful info as well.

I've been called out on some dumb sh*t I've said too (my jokes and sarcasm constantly seem to fall flat ie the trash comment), but it doesn't prevent me from still participating on the site. I just understand I'm really corny and I'm completely fine with that.

You've apologized and that's cool of you. You're definitely entertaining and it's people like you that make this forum interesting to read and check up on. Also, I wasn't trying to be a dick to you when you made your poop comment. I was just taking the piss. It's just what people do here.

zombiekelly
June 8th, 2014, 13:46

This is why we need a like button.

Ananasboat
June 8th, 2014, 16:54
So, I totally missed this toast guy. What was up with his picture?

SomePeopleJustSaySnow
June 8th, 2014, 17:18
He had a picture of himself at first, Windy told him to change it, and he did - to a copy of Windy's avatar with a Microsoft paint mustache and angry eyebrows.

It was pretty funny.

Ananasboat
June 8th, 2014, 23:01
Oh how cute.

themightyquinn
June 12th, 2014, 11:05
I too am curious where 37 hours is coming from, that's insane and I can't think of any place in the world that's gonna take 29hours of flight time to get to Tokyo. You could literally fly around the equator and back to where you started in that amount of time.

If you call the airline, they'll be happy to upgrade you but as you're not coming from a full fare Y-ticket, it's going to be very expensive at least $3K or so for a business upgrade, and probably starting at $7K for a first class upgrade.

Someone mentioned no help from a gate agent. No, they won't help you. Unless you are incredibly good looking, or one of the top-tier elites (Executive Platinum, 1K, etc) they're not going to upgrade you at the gate (even if they have seats, which on most long haul flights at boarding they won't since they've already been given away to people with status on that carrier/alliance) simply because they want your money and the gate agent can't take it.

Everything needs to be done before security, preferably well before the departure date as they'll have already given away the seats as complimentary upgrades to status customers. They'd rather have your money. Some airlines (Etihad, and others) will contact their passengers with sealed bid chance to upgrade, and others will offer an upgrade to business for pretty cheap (American @ usually ~$500) when using the check-in kiosk. It's happened to me, but nothing I'd count on.

A lot of the airlines have economy seating options (United's Economy Plus, AA's Main Cabin Extra, etc) that are essentially a few extra inches of legroom. These are free to reserve for elites, but cost maybe $50-100 more per leg for regular people. You stand a pretty good chance of grabbing something like that and it's a good price : perfomance ratio if you're tall.

Someone mentioned it, but JET isn't under any requirement to send us to Japan on the most direct flights possible. My flight from a US consulate first joined up with another consulate a 4-hour flight away before proceeding to Narita. There were direct flights available. The "in principle as direct a flight as possible" found in most JET contracts only applies to return flights, as a. my guess is it's CLAIR/our consulate that purchases our flights to Japan, and b. our contracts haven't even kicked in yet.

Ini
June 12th, 2014, 11:09
from a logistical point of view its in their benefit to get as many people arriving on the same flight as possible. its chaos at narita trying to herd people onto buses so the last thing they want is small groups of people arriving at all hours of the day on various direct flights.

webstaa
June 13th, 2014, 08:40
from a logistical point of view its in their benefit to get as many people arriving on the same flight as possible. its chaos at narita trying to herd people onto buses so the last thing they want is small groups of people arriving at all hours of the day on various direct flights.

Also, the travel agency (last year was Kintetsu?) makes all of the arrangements AFAIK, so they streamline everything for the sake of getting to Tokyo at the right time to the buses are waiting to be filled and shipped of to the Keio Hotel straight away. There are a couple hundred new JETs arriving and needing transportation, it makes sense to streamline everything once they're into the country.

Also, you sure as shit can get an upgrade from a gate agent - if there are any available. If there is a standby list, then its pretty unlikely, as it means the flight is overbooked. Also, as long as you aren't a new frequent flier account, you are more likely to get an upgrade than someone who hasn't flown with the airline before. Unfortunately, the travel agency picks whatever flights aren't full first and then chooses the national carriers. So some folks flew Delta last year and some flew JAL. (Delta sucks and JAL is much nicer (free wifi/alcohol.)

greyjoy
June 13th, 2014, 09:25
Atlanta at least is flying on American Airlines this year.

Gizmotech
June 13th, 2014, 10:13
Quick thing about upgrading... you can upgrade IF there is space on the plane. Sometimes the flights are rather packed. The 777 I flew over on was full. So full the staff were apologizing to two of the JETs because they didn't physically fit (not enough leg room) in the seats they had been assigned (both guys were at nearly the 7 feet tall mark).

ihatefall
June 13th, 2014, 13:40
Business class is rarely ever full though!

Antonath
June 13th, 2014, 14:27
Business class is fairly non-existent these days, anyway. Last time I flew, there were maybe ten rows of seats for business; the rest were either economy or first class.

themightyquinn
June 13th, 2014, 15:47
Also, you sure as shit can get an upgrade from a gate agent - if there are any available. If there is a standby list, then its pretty unlikely, as it means the flight is overbooked. Also, as long as you aren't a new frequent flier account, you are more likely to get an upgrade than someone who hasn't flown with the airline before.

I didn't say it was impossible or that you can't. It's just that once you're at the gate it's VERY VERY unlikely unless, as I said, you're incredibly good looking (and lucky) or have elite status. Rarely do transpac flights go out these days with business class seats empty (or really any seats empty during the summer), if there isn't a revenue passenger in that seat who paid $3-4K for it, there's a whole list of top tier elites who get complimentary upgrades, mid and lower tiers with coupons or miles they want to use, etc sitting on the upgrade list.

In the unlikely event that there are seats and no upgrade requests, they'll either let them go empty or offer them to pretty much anyone that's more important that a JET (which as you find out in Japan means everyone). That carrier's elites, alliance elites, full fare Y economy passengers, etc before finally getting back to the weeaboos flying on their deep discount ticket that CLAIR bought them. Route into and out of Japan are chock full of business people. Business people worth flying to Asia generally fly a lot, or have company travel departments that spend lots of money and the airline wants to keep that business. It's not a non-zero chance of getting upgraded at the gate, but it's pretty damn low. By the time the plane is boarding, you've had lots of chances to throw buckets of money at the airline, if you're not willing to do it they're gonna put someone in that premium seat who will or at least has a solid history of sending lots of business their way.

themightyquinn
June 13th, 2014, 15:48
Atlanta at least is flying on American Airlines this year.

Yes, pretty sure Atlanta almost always flies ATL-DFW-NRT on American.

Ini
June 13th, 2014, 15:49
clair pays out the ass for the tickets. if it goes by who paid the most then the JETs would win that fight.

themightyquinn
June 13th, 2014, 15:50
Not by fare bucket they don't. CLAIR may pay Kintetsu a lot, but they're booking them in deep discount.