PDA

View Full Version : Shipping/Packing for JET

catamongthepixies
June 6th, 2014, 07:23
Hi all, I am a first year JET and I could use some input and advice. Now that placements are out, I'm trying to tackle all of the packing and organizing for moving to Japan. I just wanted to know if anyone had advice or recommendations for shipping additional items ahead to Japan? What company/service, etc. I want to make sure I have a plan for sending winter things.

I've already looked into Kuroneko Yamato, but their office is far away from me, so I would have to drive several hours to send off those packages. Definitely the cheapest I have found on my own so far...

Thanks! :^_^:

uthinkimlost?
June 6th, 2014, 07:42
What are you shipping and why? Hard to answer otherwise.

catamongthepixies
June 6th, 2014, 08:06
Just winter clothing. I don't want my suitcases to be bogged down, and I won't need them for a while anyways with my placement.

So I'm looking at maybe one or two medium sized boxes. 7x15 is what I've seen at most office supply stores.

uthinkimlost?
June 6th, 2014, 08:22
Just winter clothing. I don't want my suitcases to be bogged down, and I won't need them for a while anyways with my placement.

So I'm looking at maybe one or two medium sized boxes. 7x15 is what I've seen at most office supply stores.

No need to ship it ahead. Have a friend or acquaintance ship your prepacked boxes after you arrive.

Usps flat rate rate should be fine, and it will be insured, if not terribly cheap.

catamongthepixies
June 6th, 2014, 08:29
No need to ship it ahead. Have a friend or acquaintance ship your prepacked boxes after you arrive.

Usps flat rate rate should be fine, and it will be insured, if not terribly cheap.

Thanks for the flat rate suggestion! I was only looking at custom sized boxes, so that does make things easier. Seems like they are basically the same price as Kuroneko.

webstaa
June 6th, 2014, 08:34
Get vacuum packing stuff (like space bags) and fit them into as small parcels as possible. As long as its just clothes you shouldn't go over weight restrictions. Otherwise, have a second (or third) suitcase sent as 'unaccompanied baggage' for easy customs clearing - you declare that another suitcase is coming and customs generally won't charge you anything based on its contents. Unfortunately I don't know exactly how to go about sending it, as I only found out about it after arriving (and all my stuff went into the 2 suitcases I brought with me.)

Shincantsen
June 6th, 2014, 23:39
A large USPS flat rate box up to 20 pounds can be shipped for $80. I think that'll be your cheapest option.

desudesudesu
June 7th, 2014, 02:23
I'm thinking of just confining my brought belongings to a simple backpack, a reinforced duffel bag, and a large suitcase - nothing else. Could anyone who did something similar shed some light on that? I've managed to spend a summer in Europe and Africa on just a duffel bag, but I know this is a bit different. I just don't like packing a lot of stuff, and while I am tall (6'2"), I'm slender and think I could get by buying any additional clothes in Japan. Bad idea?

But with regard to the OP - I'd just leave the box and some cash with a friend to ship it for me after I get there.

osakavamp
June 7th, 2014, 03:22
I'm using Yamato transport for this but I live where thy have storefronts.

Shincantsen
June 7th, 2014, 03:37
I'm thinking of just confining my brought belongings to a simple backpack, a reinforced duffel bag, and a large suitcase - nothing else. Could anyone who did something similar shed some light on that? I've managed to spend a summer in Europe and Africa on just a duffel bag, but I know this is a bit different. I just don't like packing a lot of stuff, and while I am tall (6'2"), I'm slender and think I could get by buying any additional clothes in Japan. Bad idea?

But with regard to the OP - I'd just leave the box and some cash with a friend to ship it for me after I get there.

This is a great idea. The lighter you can pack, the better. Keep in mind that everything you bring to Japan, you'll have to bring back with you to America, plus all the crap you buy while you're living there.

letoastingman
June 7th, 2014, 08:06
ESID but,

how many of you had a bed with bedsheets when you arrived in your placement? considering bringing sheets and grandma's quilt. >=^)

webstaa
June 7th, 2014, 08:18
I had bedsheets for three beds and two futon covers. Mind you there is only one bed and one futon in the closet.... The only thing I had to do was make the bed.

If you have a particularly warm/favorite blanket and tons of extra room in your suitcase or plan to ship stuff over later, it might be a good idea to take it. I had one I bought in 2011 in Japan during the winter and left it at home (thinking I could find another here) I haven't found anything remotely close to it. (And I even bought it at a nationwide chain of department stores...)

Otherwise just leave that stuff at home. It's less stuff to repack or leave behind.

Gizmotech
June 7th, 2014, 12:59
ESID but,

how many of you had a bed with bedsheets when you arrived in your placement? considering bringing sheets and grandma's quilt. >=^)

Bed? Lol

Don't bother with stuff like that. Sheets you can get here if you don't have me, and grandmas quilt should only be brought if it's really important.