PDA

View Full Version : Any Hospitality students who have been in JET?

smile11
June 9th, 2014, 08:20
hi,

Thinking of applying for JET for the next term.

i currently work in a hotel as a supervisor.

So my question is are there any JET's who were in the hospitality industry...and then went back to it successfully.

I mean this obviously counts as a international experience and the chance to learn another language and experience different culture, not to mention that the job may polish skills in terms of organization skills, planing skills etc.

Just want to know if there is a real example...

Thanks

Page
June 9th, 2014, 15:04
You'll definitely learn a new language and culture but organization and planning skills will depend on where you are. Some ALTs don't plan anything (at work) so it's hard to say for sure! (Not in hospitality so I can't comment on that.)

greyjoy
June 9th, 2014, 16:30
Do you have reason to believe that it will be difficult to return to your current line of work if you spend a few years in Japan? Experience doesn't go away as you develop new skills. Even if you come back raving about "those damn orientals", I'm sure some Holiday Inn in Omaha will be short a night auditor or something.

scarreddragon
June 9th, 2014, 20:30
Applying to JET is well and good, but your hotel (depending on if its a large chain of course) may actually have programs in place sending supervisors and managers and general staff overseas. My step-mom is a manager in a major hotel chain and has been to both China and Egypt on 3 month stints to work in hotels there. Maybe not what you're looking for, but a possible alternative depending on how your application goes!

Gizmotech
June 10th, 2014, 09:19
I'm wondering if you work for a small chain. My friend works for one of the big ones in Banff and has travelled quite a bit as whatever level of manager he is.

Not really sure how coming on JET would benefit your career. Also, do you have a university degree?

Ini
June 10th, 2014, 09:50
If you just did it for a year, picked up some basic Japanese and cultural knowledge it might look good.

ihatefall
June 10th, 2014, 11:53
You might learn a thing or three about hospitality or amazing ways to be a "polite asshole" or "the nicest bitch" but Japan as a whole isn't so organized. (Yes the trains run on time, but every Japanese office I see is just piles of paperwork and shit everywhere)

smile11
June 17th, 2014, 05:42
i have a masters degree.... i have always wanted to do this..just never got the chance to. I am looking for a different job but havent had any luck yet. PLus i really need a change. Still as the interviews for this wont start till next year, i am going to go for it if i dont find anything new and interesting in my field...