PDA

View Full Version : Very Large Box shipping advice for masive game collection

kurisu
June 25th, 2014, 12:27
I know there are shipping threads out there, but none of the ones I have been able to find seem to address what I am particularly looking for.

I am a big retro game collector, and have been at it for years since coming out to Japan. I have amassed a very, very large collection of stuff so far, and on top of that, I am a CIB (complete in box) collector. Many of the things I have are oversized premium editions of stuff. I am not up to a ridiculous amount of stuff, somthing around 70+ boxes SNES games, 100+ Playstation, 10+ N64, 15+ NES, 20+ PS2, 15 PS3, Boxed Rare Japanese Exclusive Gamecubes, an N64, a Super Famicom, etc etc. Basically, a LOT of stuff.

If shipping time is of no real concern, does anyone know what my options are for getting the cheapest and largest box options to ship this stuff back home? It's getting out of hand and I feel like a Japanese hoarder so I really need to start finding options.

Any advice appreciated!

This would be from Japan back to the USA if it makes any difference.

EDIT; Realized I mispelled "massive" in the title, but can't figure out how to change it. *shrug*

KIKKI.K
June 25th, 2014, 13:17
I think you can send back a box up to 30 kg via surface mail for about Y20,000 or less. The problem is, sometimes ships sink. So if they're valuable to you, it might not be the best idea. Otherwise, you can do 30kg via airmail (2 weeks) for about Y25,000. Check the Japan Post website for rates.

ihatefall
June 25th, 2014, 13:19
Being that these collectibles, I don't recommend surface. Look up the media rate, it might be worth it to just ship the games in one box at the media rate (if it still exists)

mrcharisma
June 25th, 2014, 13:24
The problem is, sometimes ships sink.

And sometimes planes crash. It's a bit extreme to suggest that the possibility of the ship sinking should affect his decision.

With surface mail problems are more likely to come from the amount of pirates and shysters that will come in contact with the box. If he's only sending it across the Pacific it might not be that bad though.

ihatefall
June 25th, 2014, 13:47
And sometimes planes crash. It's a bit extreme to suggest that the possibility of the ship sinking should affect his decision.

With surface mail problems are more likely to come from the amount of pirates and shysters that will come in contact with the box. If he's only sending it across the Pacific it might not be that bad though.

+1

However surface tends to treat the packages with a lot less care so if you do go that route pack well, like 2-3" of packing peanuts all around.

word
June 25th, 2014, 14:01
A J-fluent dude who was here years ago shipped back a cubic meter of sh*t for like 6man, I think. No real weight limit, apparently.

Whatever method you use, just insure the f*ck out of it; insurance is cheap.

kurisu
June 25th, 2014, 14:44
A J-fluent dude who was here years ago shipped back a cubic meter of sh*t for like 6man, I think. No real weight limit, apparently.

Whatever method you use, just insure the f*ck out of it; insurance is cheap.

Something like this is what I had in mind. I had heard things like this hinted at, but never heard of a company name or anything like that. Do you know where I can find any deeper information on this or who that person was? An ITIL user?

kurisu
June 25th, 2014, 14:49
Being that these collectibles, I don't recommend surface. Look up the media rate, it might be worth it to just ship the games in one box at the media rate (if it still exists)

Something like Media I would assume would be in small boxes though right? The only "Media" rate I had ever used were like small packs for a single or double DVD or something that, but in this case that wouldn't be possible in those little boxes.

word
June 25th, 2014, 14:55
Something like this is what I had in mind. I had heard things like this hinted at, but never heard of a company name or anything like that. Do you know where I can find any deeper information on this or who that person was? An ITIL user?
I'll see if I can find out; I guess it would be useful to have that info on the forum, anyway. Dude's a bit occupied now with a new family, but mebbe I can get a response from him.

kurisu
June 25th, 2014, 14:59
I'll see if I can find out; I guess it would be useful to have that info on the forum, anyway. Dude's a bit occupied now with a new family, but mebbe I can get a response from him.

Dank ya.

uthinkimlost?
June 25th, 2014, 15:04
My school gets mailers for shipping companies addressed to "ALT" all the time. Maybe ask down at your office.

ihatefall
June 25th, 2014, 15:10
I have sent (in the states) huge boxes of DVDs under media. They said it didn't matter has long as only media was in the box

Jiggit
June 25th, 2014, 15:10
I just got one of those "Let us help you get your filth out of our country when you GO HOME", lovely.

kurisu
June 25th, 2014, 15:24
I just got one of those "Let us help you get your filth out of our country when you GO HOME", lovely.

Must be one of those faxes plastered with "EARLY" everywhere next to a bunch of 早い's.

themightyquinn
June 25th, 2014, 15:24
Japan Luggage Express ships a cubic meter. For must people it ends up being around ¥60,000 (think it's something like ¥52,000 m^3 base rate). They have a website.

word
June 25th, 2014, 15:35
Japan Luggage Express ships a cubic meter. For must people it ends up being around ¥60,000 (think it's something like ¥52,000 m^3 base rate). They have a website.
That sounds like the one. Here is their website. (http://www.jluggage.com/)