PDA

View Full Version : Taxes

Keitorin
June 25th, 2014, 23:17
Hey guys! Here's hoping someone can help me...

So our BOE is really great, and they've been taking our inhabitants' tax out of our pay every month. For us leavers however, we just got an email saying that because we're getting paid for July (amount of tax being decided in June or something) we have to pay a whole extra year's worth of tax (140-164,000) straight up as a lump sum in July even though we'll be leaving in August.

Has anyone else had this happen? I haven't heard of this anywhere.

Any my info super appreciated!

Keitorin
June 25th, 2014, 23:19
*Any info - dumb autocorrect!

Just in case the above wasn't clear - the BOE is saying that even though we paid the tax for the years we lived there already, because we are getting paid one month after the tax threshold we have to pay for an extra year. Seems weird right?

Ini
June 25th, 2014, 23:35
the bill comes in july but its based on where you were living on jan 1st. You will have to pay it. Even if you left the country in june you would be expected to pay it/set up a proxy in japan to pay it for you. once you have lived in japan for more than 1 year continuously you are liable. I suggest you work out how many residence tax bills you have been liable for in the time you've lived here, work out how much money the BOE has taken out of your salary over the years and see if that 14man they are asking for makes sense or not.

themightyquinn
June 26th, 2014, 09:42
the bill comes in july but its based on where you were living on jan 1st. You will have to pay it.

This. Although I always find it interesting that unlike most other things in Japan it's set up based on calendar year and not fiscal year.

So what happens if you don't pay it? I'm under the old contract and a USer, so my bill is only ¥3.7mans and my BOE pays it for me anyway. Another local JET is a UKer (as I assume the OP may be) and is getting hit with the ~¥140,000 bill that comes out of pocket. Our supervisor is pretty adamant about him paying it (and in the full lump sum) before he leaves. So what happens if he skips out on it? No plans to ever come back to Japan. I suggested that worst that could happen is he's got a real mess to clean up if he ever decides to live here again, or our supervisor deducts the payment from his pension tax refund (or they may do it automatically). Anyone have experience? I googled around, but couldn't really turn anything up.

ihatefall
June 26th, 2014, 09:48
I find it strange that you pay taxes before the year is over

mrcharisma
June 26th, 2014, 09:53
This. Although I always find it interesting that unlike most other things in Japan it's set up based on calendar year and not fiscal year.

So what happens if you don't pay it? I'm under the old contract and a USer, so my bill is only ¥3.7mans and my BOE pays it for me anyway. Another local JET is a UKer (as I assume the OP may be) and is getting hit with the ~¥140,000 bill that comes out of pocket. Our supervisor is pretty adamant about him paying it (and in the full lump sum) before he leaves. So what happens if he skips out on it? No plans to ever come back to Japan. I suggested that worst that could happen is he's got a real mess to clean up if he ever decides to live here again, or our supervisor deducts the payment from his pension tax refund (or they may do it automatically). Anyone have experience? I googled around, but couldn't really turn anything up.

Is he on the old contract too? If so he should get back whatever he pays.

themightyquinn
June 26th, 2014, 12:59
No, he's a new contract. He won't be reimbursed. It's a hell of a farewell present, but on the other hand he should have expected it and we walk out of here with a fresh ¥2xx,000 paycheck in our pockets so he certainly could take the hit. He's notoriously tight fisted, so I suspect he'll just try and walk.

word
June 26th, 2014, 13:28
They'll just take it out of his pension, most likely.

webstaa
June 26th, 2014, 14:32
Meh, if you really want an answer, you'll probably want to contact CLAIR directly.

Most likely, you'll see non of that money back even if you're owed it.

therealwindycity
June 26th, 2014, 15:21
if you really want an answer, you'll probably want to contact CLAIR directly.

Worst advice evar.

mrcharisma
June 26th, 2014, 15:24

If he's owed it, he'll get it. They don't tend to mess around with that kind of thing.

By the sounds of it he's not owed any of it though. Post 2012 Jets get a far worse deal than those that came before.

uthinkimlost?
June 26th, 2014, 15:30
Meh, if you really want an answer, you'll probably want to contact CLAIR directly.

Worst advice evar.

Dear Keitorin,
Thank you for your interest.
CLAIR has been closed for reevaluation.
Please note that the Team Teaching Handbook and Team Taught Pizza are still accessible.

themightyquinn
June 26th, 2014, 15:59
No, it's not income tax, it's residence tax (住民税). A tax you pay to your local municipality. It's calculated based on income, but not an income tax. It's assessed to everyone who resides in that village/ward/town/city on January 1st of that year. Move back home on January 2nd? You're shit out of luck. Conversely if you move to Japan January 2nd, you don't have to pay that year's residency tax. That's why JETs who aren't exempted don't have to pay it until the following calendar year (because we arrive in July/August).

Gizmotech
June 26th, 2014, 15:59
Am I missing something here, I thought we paid taxes for the previous year of residence, which is why we pay almost nothing in our first year (only Aug-Dec), and the second year is where the big one comes from (jan-dec).

If his employer has been taking money off, they should be able to cover it, (and I mean taking money off for residence tax specifically. They might be doing it only for national income tax), and if they didn't, they should have been aware that this was coming. It shouldn't be news.

Ini
June 26th, 2014, 16:15
you dont pay residence tax unless you have lived in the country for over a year.

johnny
June 26th, 2014, 17:31
I got charged 5,500¥ by the city for something.

greyjoy
June 26th, 2014, 17:50
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TVo38a46zdc