PDA

View Full Version : Group B Orientation

Wasabi
June 26th, 2014, 02:16
Who else is in the Group B Orientation? Is anyone thinking of doing some exploring during our (very limited) free time in Tokyo? Maybe we can have a newb O-rama and complain about the veterans of ITIL or just aimlessly shamble through Shibuya crossing like zombies? I'm up for just about anything. They haven't told me which flight I'll be on yet, but the flights out of Boston arrive either at 12:40 pm or 3:55 pm on Sunday.

Ananasboat
June 26th, 2014, 02:44
I'm in group b leaving from Boston.

Villebillie
June 26th, 2014, 03:07
I'm group B leaving Nashville, I think we're supposed to get in sometime around 4:15 on Sunday, although I don't knwo the exact time without looking it up. I wouldn't mind joining in on wandering around Tokyo. Last time I was in Tokyo I didn't do much except get lost. It took me a shamefully long time to figure out I was looking for a subway station and not a train stop.

mishmash
June 26th, 2014, 03:40
I'm in Group B, but I haven't received my flight information yet.

I've been to Tokyo a bunch of times, but I've never really spent much time in Shibuya or Shinjuku. I'm definitely up for doing some exploring and/or shuffling around with terrible jet lag.

Jurassyk
June 26th, 2014, 04:09
Has anyone thought about trying to put themselves on an exactly 12 hour different time schedule for the week before we leave? My girlfriend is actually pretty much already on one, so at least I'd have someone to keep me company if I tried. Jet lag is almost always impossible to avoid, though. I've found that usually the best thing to do is to tough it out that first day (read: caffeine IV) and go to sleep with the sun in whichever land you have travelled to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sourdoughsushi
June 26th, 2014, 06:45
Has anyone thought about trying to put themselves on an exactly 12 hour different time schedule for the week before we leave? My girlfriend is actually pretty much already on one, so at least I'd have someone to keep me company if I tried. Jet lag is almost always impossible to avoid, though. I've found that usually the best thing to do is to tough it out that first day (read: caffeine IV) and go to sleep with the sun in whichever land you have travelled to.

I'm crap at sleeping on planes, so the lack of sleep usually does me in and helps with the reset. Interesting thought, but a long flight in the dark would probably through you off, anyway.

Group B, departing Anchorage for Portland. :) I'm mainly looking to hit the UNIQLOS around the hotel area.

Moso
June 26th, 2014, 07:26
All British JETs are group B! No idea what time our flight(s) arrive though. But I'm definitely up for making the most of my time in Tokyo!

Ini
June 26th, 2014, 07:26
Its a nice idea in theory that has never worked in practice from my experience. Just get plenty of rest before you leave then gut it out for a few hours when you arrive. Jetlag isn't that big a problem going to Japan, always seems worse going the other way.

Jiggit
June 26th, 2014, 08:25
I'm mainly looking to hit the UNIQLOS around the hotel area.

Were you the guy placed on the island? If not I'm pretty sure there'll be plenty of time to go to uniqlo at literally any other time within the next year.

sourdoughsushi
June 26th, 2014, 08:34
Were you the guy placed on the island? If not I'm pretty sure there'll be plenty of time to go to uniqlo at literally any other time within the next year.

The nearest from my placement is only an hour away, but I've already lived out my weeaboo fantasies and don't need to romp around Tokyo when an 8 minute walk can save me the car trip later on. ><

That is, if the cooltech clothes I hear about there are worth it. Alaska kind of lacks in that variety.

therealwindycity
June 26th, 2014, 08:46
Its a nice idea in theory that has never worked in practice from my experience. Just get plenty of rest before you leave then gut it out for a few hours when you arrive. Jetlag isn't that big a problem going to Japan, always seems worse going the other way.

This.

Villebillie
June 26th, 2014, 09:06
I'm originally from 'the city' and working in a rural area right now, and going to a rural placement. I don't think it's weeboo fantasies to want to spend at least some of the time in Tokyo basking in the sweet pollution of the city, a city, any city.

sourdoughsushi
June 26th, 2014, 09:07
I'm originally from 'the city' and working in a rural area right now, and going to a rural placement. I don't think it's weeboo fantasies to want to spend at least some of the time in Tokyo basking in the sweet pollution of the city, a city, any city.

No, definitely not. I didn't mean for that to come off as a reference to you guys going out, my bad. By all means.

par92186
June 26th, 2014, 09:13
I'm in Group B as well. Landing in Tokyo around 2pm on Sunday. I'd be down for a little exploring of Tokyo. Plus airplane food makes me sick. I'll come hungry.

Gizmotech
June 26th, 2014, 11:58
Seriously, when you get there you're just gonna want to crash. I had similar dreams of doing a whole bunch of shit when I got there, but in the end I maybe wandered the block or two in front of the keio, bought a beer, and went to sleep.

The next night a bunch of us went out and had some drinks (as the canadian reception was a small thing), while others actually did some real sight seeing that night. The final night was when JET lag started to hit like a ton of bricks, so I just crashed.

Honestly, Tokyo on your first few nights in Japan isn't all that much fun/interesting.... The whole WOAH factor can be found taking a walk down the street without going off exploring the city. You'll also appreciate Tokyo if you come back to visit it rather than try and see it at night while you're exhausted.

Final thing to remember, you might land at 2, but you won't actually get to the KEIO until 5 (narita really is in the middle of nowhere), and own't be able to leave it until probably 6-7. There's a lot of time in between plane arrival and freedom that you would think you have, but you really don't.

Jiggit
June 26th, 2014, 12:01
As with most capital cities, I find Tokyo isn't worth going to unless you know someone who lives there or have a really clear cut and researched plan on what cool shit you're going to do. Otherwise you just wander around taking pictures of things and bumbling into rubbish and overpriced bars and restaurants.

Ini
June 26th, 2014, 12:27
Boring buggers, in my day you slept all day, drunk all night and relied on your jobs worth room mate to pick up any important documents for you from the orientation.

jacklostinred
June 26th, 2014, 13:22
Step 1 in getting a Japanese wife:

Boring buggers, in my day you slept all day, drunk all night and relied on your jobs worth room mate to pick up any important documents for you from the orientation.

uthinkimlost?
June 26th, 2014, 13:24
wut.

soh
June 26th, 2014, 17:00
Last year, we spent about an hour at the airport going through customs, getting luggage and shipping them, finally getting on the coaches. The ride took two hours because of traffic.

You'll be very tired when you arrive at the hotel. Eat something, take a shower and take it easy.
If you aren't too sleepy, go to the Tokyo Metropolitan Government Building, a five minute walk from the hotel. The observation deck on the 45th floor is free.

Ananasboat
June 26th, 2014, 20:04
Not personally a fan of Tokyo, so I agree with giz and the rest who say to not bother. I might go out during orientation, but I'll probably wait to party until I get to my location. That, or I'll buy some chu-hai for my hotel room and drink up there.

Gizmotech
June 26th, 2014, 20:19
Not personally a fan of Tokyo, so I agree with giz and the rest who say to not bother. I might go out during orientation, but I'll probably wait to party until I get to my location. That, or I'll buy some chu-hai for my hotel room and drink up there.

Me and my friend sat on the steps of the keio with a bottle of suntory whiskey for a bit. High class yo!

Ananasboat
June 26th, 2014, 20:21
Me and my friend sat on the steps of the keio with a bottle of suntory whiskey for a bit. High class yo!

Sounds like my kind of party.

Gizmotech
June 26th, 2014, 20:22
Sounds like my kind of party.

He was the oldest person at orientation that year and I was probably number 20 ish so we were rockin it old school :p

Like a proper pair of French Canadian drunks :)

Wasabi
June 26th, 2014, 23:37
While it's true that I might not do as well with the jet lag as I'm anticipating, I feel like if I didn't at least try to explore a bit on the first day I'd regret it later. My placement is 4 - 5 hours by train from Tokyo (not to mention the cost of the train) so I'd rather try to take advantage of being in Tokyo then versus planning a proper trip. I'll happily explore alone, but I figured why not put it out there for other ITILers too?

kelleycristin
June 27th, 2014, 05:50
I'm in Group B orientation, I think my flight gets into Narita just after 4. I don't have any real plans yet, but there are some craft beer bars that have opened since I've been last that I'd like to check out. I'd also like to make it to my favorite spicy ramen place while there. Anyone else like really spicy food?? Or craft beer?

kelleycristin
June 27th, 2014, 05:54
Last year, we spent about an hour at the airport going through customs, getting luggage and shipping them, finally getting on the coaches. The ride took two hours because of traffic.

You'll be very tired when you arrive at the hotel. Eat something, take a shower and take it easy.
If you aren't too sleepy, go to the Tokyo Metropolitan Government Building, a five minute walk from the hotel. The observation deck on the 45th floor is free.

That's a good suggestion, thanks! There's something about panoramic views of cities at night that I find really beautiful.
Yeah the day of travel is rough, I'm planning on taking it easy the first night, maybe getting some ramen and a couple beers and then crashing for the night. Have you been to Skytree? It wasn't open the last time I was in Tokyo, but I've done Tokyo Tower.

kelleycristin
June 27th, 2014, 05:58
While it's true that I might not do as well with the jet lag as I'm anticipating, I feel like if I didn't at least try to explore a bit on the first day I'd regret it later. My placement is 4 - 5 hours by train from Tokyo (not to mention the cost of the train) so I'd rather try to take advantage of being in Tokyo then versus planning a proper trip. I'll happily explore alone, but I figured why not put it out there for other ITILers too?

The jet lag is rough, but I didn't find it debilitating. I'd definitely go out, I've found that keeping yourself awake and going to sleep at a fairly normal hour helps get you on track. The first night I'm thinking of grabbing some ramen and a few beers and calling it a night, maybe Skytree since I've never been. Have you been to Japan before?

sourdoughsushi
June 27th, 2014, 06:45
I love a good spicy miso ramen. That's not just a Hokkaido thing, right?

Ini
June 27th, 2014, 07:43
I guess you could go for a spicy noodle if that's your thing but I prefer the stinky tofu.....

kelleycristin
June 27th, 2014, 07:52
I love a good spicy miso ramen. That's not just a Hokkaido thing, right?

There's an awesome place in Tokyo that has spicy ramen that is miso-based. Just found out there are multiple locations, but I've only been to the Nishi-Ikebukuro location. Here's the menu: 蒙古タンメン中本 公式ホームページ | 西池袋店メニューのご案内 (http://www.moukotanmen-nakamoto.com/n_menu/n_menu_nikebukuro)

Bi-Kun
June 27th, 2014, 08:05
Seriously, when you get there you're just gonna want to crash. I had similar dreams of doing a whole bunch of shit when I got there, but in the end I maybe wandered the block or two in front of the keio, bought a beer, and went to sleep.

The next night a bunch of us went out and had some drinks (as the canadian reception was a small thing), while others actually did some real sight seeing that night. The final night was when JET lag started to hit like a ton of bricks, so I just crashed.

Honestly, Tokyo on your first few nights in Japan isn't all that much fun/interesting.... The whole WOAH factor can be found taking a walk down the street without going off exploring the city. You'll also appreciate Tokyo if you come back to visit it rather than try and see it at night while you're exhausted.

Final thing to remember, you might land at 2, but you won't actually get to the KEIO until 5 (narita really is in the middle of nowhere), and own't be able to leave it until probably 6-7. There's a lot of time in between plane arrival and freedom that you would think you have, but you really don't.

I think this is very much an individual thing. I took an overnight greyhound to New York where sleeping was not possible no matter the amount of Tylenol PM I took. Then I had to anguish all day with nothing to do until taking a connecting flight to finally get on a 14 hour flight to Shanghai. Got delayed leaving for Shanghai and didn't get to my hostel in Shanghai until 10:00pm local time. Want to know what I did? Dropped my stuff and went off to wander the area for hours until like 2 or 3 in the morning. Late night conbini snacks were had and then I finally went to bed. Woke up at 10am and was out on the town for a full dose. Also, it was the peak of July with the same heat and humidity as Tokyo. You better believe I'll be out for at least a few hours in Tokyo before heading back to Keio to crash.

TLDR: ESID

uthinkimlost?
June 27th, 2014, 08:15
where sleeping was not possible no matter the amount of Tylenol PM I took.

Somebody has built up a tolerance.

webstaa
June 27th, 2014, 08:20
As long as you aren't planning to go see the Sky Tree or something, you'll be fine. After you arrive, there isn't too much time before business start closing (roll up the sidewalks at 9 PM sharp) - but there is plenty to do near Keio. Shopping is one option if you need something before you are shipped off into the depths of the inaka - or go to the top of the gov't building (its free.)

If you get up with the sun (comes up a 4:30 AM) there is plenty of time to wander around before you have 'obligations.'

Ini
June 27th, 2014, 08:26
Or go to a bar like any normal 20something should be doing. You people sound like a bunch of old women

Bi-Kun
June 27th, 2014, 08:34
Somebody has built up a tolerance.

I never take it except in cases like that. Was being a bit dramatic lolol.... I try to avoid taking any kind of medication if I really don't need it. Took the full dose but sleeping in a seat on a rattling bus with people sniffling and all just wasn't going to work.

Gizmotech
June 27th, 2014, 08:54

ohhh.... isn't that cute. Only 4-5 hours to Tokyo. I'm 3 hours to the next biggest city and atleast a 5 hour train ride to Tokyo.

sourdoughsushi
June 27th, 2014, 09:10
On a pharmaceutical note, Tylenol PM and Zquil are kind of a scam. If you're purely looking to sleep, I'd go with Benadryl (same ingredient as Tylenol PM) or Unisom (same, plus another antihistamine). Personally, melatonin works well for me.

jacklostinred
June 27th, 2014, 09:16
go to the top of the gov't building (its free.)

I was there last winter and I recall that one of the two elevators was being renovated. The lines went from a typical 30 minute wait to an hour and a half wait to get up. I am not sure if it is still being worked on though. Something to consider at least.

mrcharisma
June 27th, 2014, 09:21
So we have someone who thinks a Tokyo trip during their JET tenure would be too ambitious and others who can't sleep at night without dosing themselves up. Jesus Christ.

Jiggit
June 27th, 2014, 09:23
can't sleep at night without dosing themselves up.

Isn't that all of us?

mrcharisma
June 27th, 2014, 09:26
Isn't that all of us?

A half bottle of vodka doesn't count.

greyjoy
June 27th, 2014, 14:18
Did none of your doctors prescribe you all ambien when you went in for your medical examination? What do you pay them for?

Three ambien and two gins and tonic, and I'll arrive in Tokyo jet lag free

therealwindycity
June 27th, 2014, 23:03
Ambien sounds horrible. Doesn't it make people sleepwalk and say weird shit?

Jiggit
June 27th, 2014, 23:08
8 gin an tonics are probably far healthier, good call.

johnny
June 27th, 2014, 23:22
A box of wine will put me right to sleep.

SomePeopleJustSaySnow
June 28th, 2014, 06:02
A hammer is quicker.

coop52
June 28th, 2014, 08:00
Why pay for ambien when you can get benadryl or nyquil for cheaper?

mishmash
June 28th, 2014, 15:35
There's an awesome place in Tokyo that has spicy ramen that is miso-based. Just found out there are multiple locations, but I've only been to the Nishi-Ikebukuro location. Here's the menu: 蒙古タンメン中本 公式ホームページ | 西池袋店メニューのご案内 (http://www.moukotanmen-nakamoto.com/n_menu/n_menu_nikebukuro)

That place sounds really good! I've already been to Tokyo Tower, the Tokyo Metropolitan Government Building *and* Skytree, so delicious food and beer on the first night could be just the thing to knock me out. Don't need no pills for that~.

sourdoughsushi
June 28th, 2014, 15:38
That place sounds really good! I've already been to Tokyo Tower, the Tokyo Metropolitan Government Building *and* Skytree, so delicious food and beer on the first night could be just the thing to knock me out. Don't need no pills for that~.

辛さ = your anus will bleed

How I read that menu.

mishmash
June 28th, 2014, 15:43

How I read that menu.

I welcome the pain if the food tastes good on the way in.

Jurassyk
June 28th, 2014, 19:20
A half bottle of vodka doesn't count.

If a half bottle of vodka DOESN'T count as dosing up then you're doing it wrong... Unless you're as Russian as your avatar.

Jiggit
June 28th, 2014, 19:25

uthinkimlost?
June 28th, 2014, 19:47

I disagree.

kelleycristin
June 29th, 2014, 02:51
Two of my favorite things.

kelleycristin
June 29th, 2014, 02:59

How I read that menu.

Haha!

Somehow, I do not recall suffering the next day. My stomach felt like it was disintegrating for a bit, that was pretty much it.

soh
June 29th, 2014, 15:35
That's a good suggestion, thanks! There's something about panoramic views of cities at night that I find really beautiful.
Yeah the day of travel is rough, I'm planning on taking it easy the first night, maybe getting some ramen and a couple beers and then crashing for the night. Have you been to Skytree? It wasn't open the last time I was in Tokyo, but I've done Tokyo Tower.
I've never been to the Sky Tree. I think you should spend more time around that area to get your money's worth.

I was there last winter and I recall that one of the two elevators was being renovated. The lines went from a typical 30 minute wait to an hour and a half wait to get up. I am not sure if it is still being worked on though. Something to consider at least.
Both elevators work now but the south observation deck is only open until 5pm. Last summer, I went there at night and there was no line.

Ananasboat
June 29th, 2014, 19:25
The skytree is so expensive to go up, it's ridiculous.

Jiggit
June 29th, 2014, 20:23
The skytree is so expensive to go up, it's ridiculous.

But you have to see za view from za toppu is wonderful!

Ananasboat
June 29th, 2014, 20:24
But you have to see za view from za toppu is wonderful!

How bout I not and buy those cookies and say I did?

Gizmotech
June 30th, 2014, 06:11
How bout I not and buy those cookies and say I did?

That's what I did. When people asked me to describe it, I said it was high with a rather unimpressed face. Works perfectly

desudesudesu
June 30th, 2014, 06:22
I'm in Group B orientation, I think my flight gets into Narita just after 4. I don't have any real plans yet, but there are some craft beer bars that have opened since I've been last that I'd like to check out. I'd also like to make it to my favorite spicy ramen place while there. Anyone else like really spicy food?? Or craft beer?

yes.

Jiggit
June 30th, 2014, 08:46
That's what I did. When people asked me to describe it, I said it was high with a rather unimpressed face. Works perfectly

Aww, you did it wrong! Weren't you surprised that it was tall?

Gizmotech
June 30th, 2014, 11:14
Aww, you did it wrong! Weren't you surprised that it was tall?

I've been to the CN tower many times while it was the worlds tallest free standing object. A few extra meters does not impress me, and I do not want to make the penis joke that goes with it.

webstaa
June 30th, 2014, 12:34
I've been to the CN tower many times while it was the worlds tallest free standing object. A few extra meters does not impress me, and I do not want to make the penis joke that goes with it.

The elevators are the best part of the Sky Tree.

aragorn
June 30th, 2014, 15:36
What about group C? Does anyone have information about the shortened version of orientation? I just found out I am on my way to Fukushima!!

jacklostinred
June 30th, 2014, 16:33
As far as I know it is just a 3rd orientation with a lot fewer people. You might actually be part of group A/B so you should talk to your coordinator about it.

Sarenka
July 2nd, 2014, 01:44

Coming from Canada with Group B, and I would join in for a plan like this haha.

webstaa
July 2nd, 2014, 08:29
As far as I know it is just a 3rd orientation with a lot fewer people. You might actually be part of group A/B so you should talk to your coordinator about it.

If it's anything like last years, it will be a lot of non-English ALTs - a lot of Chinese and French with a smattering of confused English speakers for good measure. The biggest problem is that you're likely to miss out on your Prefecture's orientation, where a lot of practical info will be distributed. TO is only going to be education focused this year - the presenters are all from Japanese universities and from consulting companies.

mothy
July 3rd, 2014, 11:26
Anyone else like really spicy food?? Or craft beer?
Bring a lot of cash if you're looking to drink craft beer in Japan.

Ini
July 3rd, 2014, 11:34
I wouldn't waste the cash on craft beer on your first weekend. wait a while until japanese beer tastes like bile before you start dropping 1200yen a pint on something decent.

mothy
July 3rd, 2014, 12:04
I suppose Yurakucho isn't that far away, relatively. Can get craft beer for "only" 800 a pint there.

Gizmotech
July 3rd, 2014, 12:48
I wouldn't waste the cash on craft beer on your first weekend. wait a while until japanese beer tastes like bile before you start dropping 1200yen a pint on something decent.

So beer number two then....

webstaa
July 3rd, 2014, 15:11
I made it until the first weekend in my new town before I found a craft/local brewery. The only problem is that I have to go to the brewery or the super touristy stores a town over to buy the beer made maybe 2 km from my apartment...

mothy
July 3rd, 2014, 15:15
I guess that's one reason to get good beer at orientation. If you're being sent to the middle of nowhere it could be months before you taste good beer again.

webstaa
July 3rd, 2014, 15:20
So beer number two then....

More like sip number 2, if you're properly hydrated. I'm convinced the only folks that drink the normal piss are super dehydrated and near death - its the only way to explain how much they can enjoy actually drinking it.

Ini
July 3rd, 2014, 15:25
its beer, its like getting preachy over mineral water. its all basically the same stuff.

Jiggit
July 7th, 2014, 07:55
its beer, its like getting preachy over mineral water. its all basically the same stuff.

This is how you know someone's lived in Japan too long.

(or is a chav)

jacklostinred
July 7th, 2014, 23:26
A texmex bbq shop opened up in Tokyo a few weeks ago and is owned and run by some foreigners. I am planning to check it out while I drop the wife off to Tokyo Orientation. What I wouldn't give for some good old smoked brisket.

Also they sell craft beer.

Ini
July 8th, 2014, 08:08
bulldog?

jacklostinred
July 9th, 2014, 12:47
That's the one. Have you made it down there ini? Is it worth the visit?

Ini
July 9th, 2014, 13:01
not yet but somebody was wittering on about it to me the other day. If they sell craft beer I'm sure mothy would have been.

jacklostinred
July 9th, 2014, 13:35
I added them on facebook a few months back trying to track down their food truck. I didn't have any luck, but since then they have been posting about their new shop.

mothy
July 9th, 2014, 16:01
I've heard of it but never been. It sounded a bit like TY Harbor's Smokehouse so I wasn't in too much of a hurry to go. But if people are buzzing about it so much I'll have to up it in my priorities.

jacklostinred
July 9th, 2014, 19:48
Your mission mothy, if you choose to accept it, is to go to Bulldog, eat delicious food and drink craft beer and report back to ini and I.