PDA

View Full Version : Contract discussion

greyjoy
June 26th, 2014, 14:10
I just received my contract in the mail a few days ago, and my predecessor naturally still hasn't contacted me. Most of it seems pretty typical. According to the rent section, I'll be responsible for paying half the amount of the rent, up to a maximum of 2 man. I know that low of an amount isn't completely abnormal, but I didn't really expect it to be outlined in my contract like that. Does it seem like there's any possibility of that being wrong? Was rent covered in anybody else's contract?

Antonath
June 26th, 2014, 14:17
Rent is covered in mine, as a 50% subsidy.

word
June 26th, 2014, 14:22
Wasn't in mine, but it's not unusual for it to be included, especially if you're in BoE-owned or -managed housing.

johnny
June 26th, 2014, 14:28
My rent is set out in my contract.

Jiggit
June 26th, 2014, 14:31
I just received my contract in the mail a few days ago, and my predecessor naturally still hasn't contacted me. Most of it seems pretty typical. According to the rent section, I'll be responsible for paying half the amount of the rent, up to a maximum of 2 man. I know that low of an amount isn't completely abnormal, but I didn't really expect it to be outlined in my contract like that. Does it seem like there's any possibility of that being wrong? Was rent covered in anybody else's contract?

I pay 5man out of my own pocket, eat a duck.

webstaa
June 26th, 2014, 14:35
Its not set out in mine at all. But I get free housing from the town - and aside from some superficial earthquake damage (a few tiny cracks and doorways that aren't completely flush/square, there isn't anything to complain about.

uthinkimlost?
June 26th, 2014, 15:09
Until the next quake.

webstaa
June 26th, 2014, 15:42
Meh, it survived 8.9, and a couple dozen 7s, a hundreds of 6s and thousands of 5s. I'm not worried. The walls are still vertical, the floor and ceiling are both level. And the landlord/town is planning to move me to a new apartment next school year anyways, as the current one dates from the late 90s and needs some electrical work.

Actually, the biggest complaint I have is that my silverware drawer doesn't close all the way.

Gizmotech
June 26th, 2014, 15:56
I would imagine a rent agreement like that is designed for prefectures/areas where rent is difficult to anticipate and they want to make sure that the playing field is fair among all their ALTs. Kinda like how all the prefectual ALTs in my area are in prefectual housing which is dirt cheap.

richief_611
June 26th, 2014, 16:05

You are lucky, my BOE doesn’t pay my rent at all. I pay 60,000 yen for rent each month, so consider yourself an extremely lucky bird. The only way to make sure your contract is correct is to ask your BOE directly.

Also, it’s only June, so if your predecessor will contact you, it probably won’t be until July. AND, also realize that predecessors are not required to contact the person who is taking over for them too. In my city, no one has predecessors because information is very tight-nit, and no one ever knows who is replacing who until it’s the end of July or August when the new person is in the city already and their predecessor is gone.

Sometimes, people expect to have a predecessor, but it’s also not always the case. When I came, I didn’t have one and had to figure out everything myself. So if your predecessor never contacts you, don’t be surprised.

There are a couple misunderstandings given out from consulates and the JET Program in general.
1. Not everyone has a predecessor
2. Omiage is pretty much unnecessary. I know that I was freaking out what to get when I first came, but in the end, didn’t even need to give out anything. Especially since I had 9 schools too...

Good luck!

soh
June 26th, 2014, 16:44
My predecessor wasn't allowed to contact me until I sent an e-mail to the BoE saying that I have received my contract and welcome package.
Information about the rent was not in the contract, but it was written on another piece of paper.

jacqui
June 26th, 2014, 17:08
Mine lists the amount - they're sticking me in an overpriced, unsubsidised dorm room. Count your lucky stars. ;)
I just contacted my supervisor (the email address was also listed in the contract) and asked if I can find my own place.
Got an "it may be difficult", but I'm taking that as a yes. ;)

Jiggit
June 26th, 2014, 17:19
Mine lists the amount - they're sticking me in an overpriced, unsubsidised dorm room. Count your lucky stars. ;)
I just contacted my supervisor (the email address was also listed in the contract) and asked if I can find my own place.

Why would you not be able to? Didn't you come to Japan before?

par92186
June 26th, 2014, 17:24

That's japanese for "No"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

greyjoy
June 26th, 2014, 17:29
My predecessor wasn't allowed to contact me until I sent an e-mail to the BoE saying that I have received my contract and welcome package.
Information about the rent was not in the contract, but it was written on another piece of paper.

I hadn't thought of that. I received the package a few days ago, but hadn't gotten around to sending a confirmation email because I forgot it at my friend's house where my mail is being delivered. I'm gonna send that off now.

Gizmotech
June 26th, 2014, 17:54
For the record, if you don't like where you are living you may or may not be able to move. Your subsidies might also not transfer in that case either. They also have no responsibility to help you find a new place if you don't like the current one.

Jiggit
June 26th, 2014, 18:22
That's japanese for "No"

It's Japanese for "we're not going to help you". If you want to do it yourself like an adult you're more than welcome.

jacqui
June 26th, 2014, 18:33
Why would you not be able to? Didn't you come to Japan before?
Yeh, I was just worried they'd pull a "we won't sign surety on another apartment because we can't be responsible for gaijin-san if she's not in her assigned hole."

That's japanese for "No"

|
v

It's Japanese for "we're not going to help you". If you want to do it yourself like an adult you're more than welcome.
This.
And that's exactly what I'm doing. ;)

Gizmotech
June 26th, 2014, 18:40
Yeh, I was just worried they'd pull a "we won't sign surety on another apartment because we can't be responsible for gaijin-san if she's not in her assigned hole."

|
v

This.
And that's exactly what I'm doing. ;)

Just remember you might not be allowed to change apartments until your second year. They could be locked into a lease which prevents you from moving.

greyjoy
June 26th, 2014, 19:01
I emailed my BOE contact, and within the hour got a Facebook message from my successor, who coincidentally had friended me a few weeks ago. I had a few others from the prefecture though, so that didn't really help narrow it down.

jacqui
June 26th, 2014, 19:06
Just remember you might not be allowed to change apartments until your second year. They could be locked into a lease which prevents you from moving.
No worries. I've already checked out the place that they want to put me into - it's kinda like a hotel, except I get to share a fridge with 3 other people.
It seems like you pay month-to-month for it.

Anyway, if the BOE wants to sign a lease on my behalf they can pay the cancellation fees or whatever because I haven't signed anything. Definitely won't be locked into a yearlong contract with a place that won't even let my fiance visit.

Jiggit
June 26th, 2014, 19:55

Oh yeah forgot about that bullshit.

I dunno the ALT nearly always has more asshole power unless you do something so terrible they're forced to send you home. Otherwise you can basically do what you like.

Antonath
June 26th, 2014, 21:34
Anyway, if the BOE wants to sign a lease on my behalf they can pay the cancellation fees or whatever because I haven't signed anything.
:popcorn:

I wish you the best of luck, and certainly understand wanting to live somewhere that lets you have visitors, but still...

mothy
June 26th, 2014, 22:09

Wait. What? You're coming back? What? I don't understand. You were free. Why? No. No. I can't. What? Why? God. I can't even. You. What? You had it there. Why would you? What have you? How? Why? Oh lord lord lord.

jacqui
June 26th, 2014, 23:11

I wish you the best of luck, and certainly understand wanting to live somewhere that lets you have visitors, but still...
It helps being able to speak/read Japanese and able to do everything for the apartment yourself.
If they know they don't have to lift a finger they're suddenly much more willing to let you do stuff. ;)

Wait. What? You're coming back? What? I don't understand. You were free. Why? No. No. I can't. What? Why? God. I can't even. You. What? You had it there. Why would you? What have you? How? Why? Oh lord lord lord.
Yes but not really. I've worked for a Japanese company for the last 3 years anyway, so I may as well go back, get paid triple for less work, and go home without fear of being murdered every night.

RancidBadger
June 27th, 2014, 03:10
This seems like the best place to put this?

I have been offered a choice of accommodation - either a 1K room for 32,000 or a 1LDK for 45,000.

I think the 1LDK is the better choice, seeing as I am living there for at least a year. I might as well take the extra room, and 45,000 rent seems quite reasonable, seeing as the handbook says to expect it to be between 20,000-70,000.

In English groats, this works out at a difference of £85.

Is there anyone out there who *would* advise taking the smaller room?

coop52
June 27th, 2014, 08:00
If both are located in fairly convenient places, I'd go for the bigger one.

RancidBadger
June 27th, 2014, 08:06
If both are located in fairly convenient places, I'd go for the bigger one.

There's no mention of a location with either, though I do know the cheaper one is on the 2nd floor and the bigger flat is on the 1st floor. That's the only additional information I have received.

uthinkimlost?
June 27th, 2014, 08:13
If it is a wooden structure the second floor is probably better.

Are you in a city, town, village, or bumfuk?

johnny
June 27th, 2014, 08:16
I agree with coop. I would prioritize location, but all things being equal, I would go for the larger place. It will be worth the money.

webstaa
June 27th, 2014, 08:23
Go for the most convenient. If they are in the same place, go for the bigger one.

1st floor apartments can be troublesome if there are tons of kids around (kicking balls of the side of your apartment/trying to look in any open windows to see what the gaijin-san is doing. And be prepared to take comments about how you do/do not hang out your laundry/put out your garbage.

coop52
June 27th, 2014, 09:30
First floor means easier to steal your undies.

Ebi
June 29th, 2014, 18:03
First floor means easier to steal your undies.
That's why all of the female ALTs in my city are put in second floor apartments or higher. Apparently our former PA had her undies stolen and they decided to make that the policy.

Ananasboat
June 29th, 2014, 19:24
That's why all of the female ALTs in my city are put in second floor apartments or higher. Apparently our former PA had her undies stolen and they decided to make that the policy.

I mentioned this somewhere else but my apartment last year had the same policy for the same reason. It didn't stop the guys from losing their boxers though.

MilkBottle
June 30th, 2014, 20:30
I got my welcome pack today, they told me what my address will be and that it'll be rent-free.

Jurassyk
June 30th, 2014, 21:14
I've received an email with the terms of appointment and a bunch of standard language about expenses, paid leave, etc. Is this my contract? There are no specifics at all...

nostos
June 30th, 2014, 21:16
Was it an attachment or just written in the body of the email? I got a copy of my contract in the mail, but I don't sign until I arrive.

therealwindycity
June 30th, 2014, 22:36
rent-free.

いいなあああ

johnny
July 1st, 2014, 07:05
I've received an email with the terms of appointment and a bunch of standard language about expenses, paid leave, etc. Is this my contract? There are no specifics at all...

I gather that the contracts are usually mailed out to people. Mine was. It could be certain CO's don't bother though because you don't sign the contact until you arrive.

Gizmotech
July 1st, 2014, 09:13
My contract was e-mailed and mailed.

webstaa
July 1st, 2014, 12:04
Note that the contract you sign may be different from the one they send you. Usually it isn't that they're trying to pull one over on you, but they sent me an out of date contract when I got my appointment and signed a slightly different one when I arrived. The only real difference was fixing dates (term of appointment was set in the wrong year) and fixing a couple of bad translations in the nenkyu section.

Libellule
July 4th, 2014, 10:32
Note that the contract you sign may be different from the one they send you. Usually it isn't that they're trying to pull one over on you, but they sent me an out of date contract when I got my appointment and signed a slightly different one when I arrived. The only real difference was fixing dates (term of appointment was set in the wrong year) and fixing a couple of bad translations in the nenkyu section.

I had a similar situation with my contract, but I emailed them and asked for an up to date contract before I signed - am I being a dick? Maybe that explains why they haven't replied in a week...

Gizmotech
July 4th, 2014, 11:00
Just keep in mind your English copy of the contract is worth about as much as the paper it was printed on. When it comes down to it, the only contract that matters it the one that is filed in Japanese. The English version is just a rough translation.