PDA

View Full Version : Items from Pred

Bi-Kun
June 30th, 2014, 14:00
Hello all! I've been contacted by my pred and currently mulling over their offer to buy some of their more valuable items. These were purchased when they arrived two years ago in new or near-new condition. From the pictures I have seen, they are still in very good shape and something I am interested in purchasing. Please see the list below and let me know your thoughts. Asking price is about 3.5man.

Washer/dryer unit
Two burner stovetop
Microwave (simple)
Mini-fridge
Double bed with frame

Thanks!

Jiggit
June 30th, 2014, 14:07
Wait, your pred bought their stovetop and microwave?

Bi-Kun
June 30th, 2014, 14:10
Wait, your pred bought their stovetop and microwave?

It was a new apartment and yes, that was what I was told. I already planned to ask directly on that to confirm.

Antonath
June 30th, 2014, 14:20
The washer/dryer and bed would seem to come under the "are they really going to get rid of them just because I didn't want to pay?" category. Things that big are a pain to get rid of, and with only about a month left, your pred may just say "screw it" and leave them there either way. You can't rely on that, though, so consider if they're worth it.

Personally, having a bed there when I arrived would be worth at least 1man. Screw futons.

Page
June 30th, 2014, 14:21
Yeah, if you don't mind stepping on their toes you can always call to confirm this with your supe (who may or may not know if they're a recent transfer). If your pred is a dick and finds out they might bad mouth you to people but, really, who cares. It's not that likely that you'll see them again unless they're staying in Japan.

But that's a really good price if they're telling the truth.

mrcharisma
June 30th, 2014, 14:22
If you hang fire then you should be able to get this chancer down to about 1man for all that, possibly even free.

Jordaius
June 30th, 2014, 14:26
Purchased new from the many second-hand shops in Japan?

I say everything for 3man and if they says no, 2.5man for just the washer/dryer, stovetop, and bed.

Just keep in mind you DON'T have to buy any of their stuff. Get lots of pictures, ask lots of questions, and use your best judgement. Also remember that it will cost them time and/or money to sell or dispose of anything you don't buy.

therealwindycity
June 30th, 2014, 14:36
Those things all seem like they should be provided by the BoE though. I would ask your supervisor for a list of items the BoE paid for, because there might be a chance they're trying to sell you stuff they didn't have to buy or already got reimbursed for.

mothy
June 30th, 2014, 15:27
I got none of those things from my BoE. The only thing I got from my BoE was a drinking problem.

uthinkimlost?
June 30th, 2014, 15:31
Only thing my BoE owns is a tiny, dorm-style fridge.

If my future successor ever plays chicken with me they're liable to be sad.

Ini
June 30th, 2014, 19:26
Washer/dryer unit - depending on age, spec and condition 6000 - 50000
Two burner stovetop - 1000 - 8000
Microwave (simple) - 0 - 6000
Mini-fridge - 2000 - 8000
Double bed with frame - frame 5000, mattress 0 - 30000

if its junk then probably worth 1.5man, if its 1 year old high quality stuff then could be 10man. depends if its a zaboon washing machine or a haier piece of crap, a 30cm thick mattress with coil/memory form hybrid or a grotty old 5cm thick thing with broken springs and cum stains. etc. If you like the looks of the pics then 3.5man doesn't seem outrageous.

Namisuke
July 1st, 2014, 07:12
I think that's a decent price for good stuff. Personally I would upgrade the microwave to one with an oven eventually, but you'll want a standard microwave starting out. If I found out my successor was offering me nothing in hopes of getting something for free, I'd sell it elsewhere. Ripping someone off goes both ways.

mrcharisma
July 1st, 2014, 08:45
I think that's a decent price for good stuff. Personally I would upgrade the microwave to one with an oven eventually, but you'll want a standard microwave starting out. If I found out my successor was offering me nothing in hopes of getting something for free, I'd sell it elsewhere. Ripping someone off goes both ways.

If I was the successor I'd be a lot less inclined to exploit someone who showed a modicum of self-respect. The more predecessors get told where to shove it, the sooner the pathetic practice of begging JET replacements for going-home cash will be wiped out.

Jiggit
July 1st, 2014, 08:47
Right. Either you get stuff for free or you get an apartment sans dirty cheap crap that's a pain in the ass to get rid of and can buy only what you actually want.

Ananasboat
July 1st, 2014, 08:48
My pred gawked at the idea of me buying anything. He's a rational human and is leaving everything he can't take, including a bed and a few futons. I think that I'll replace the futons though, no disrespect.

uthinkimlost?
July 1st, 2014, 08:51
My pred gawked at the idea of me buying anything. He's a rational human and is leaving everything he can't take, including a bed and a few futons. I think that I'll replace the futons though, no disrespect.

Gawked?

Balked?

Wafflehouse
July 1st, 2014, 08:54
My pred left me everything except personal items (even then he forgot some of his more expensive items, to which he just left behind) so I got a good deal.

Shame the place is as the Japanese would say "Boro boro"

tealparadise
July 1st, 2014, 08:58
Washer/dryer unit - depending on age, spec and condition 6000 - 50000
Two burner stovetop - 1000 - 8000
Microwave (simple) - 0 - 6000
Mini-fridge - 2000 - 8000
Double bed with frame - frame 5000, mattress 0 - 30000

if its junk then probably worth 1.5man, if its 1 year old high quality stuff then could be 10man. depends if its a zaboon washing machine or a haier piece of crap, a 30cm thick mattress with coil/memory form hybrid or a grotty old 5cm thick thing with broken springs and cum stains. etc. If you like the looks of the pics then 3.5man doesn't seem outrageous.

Don't forget too that the trouble of selling/junking old stuff is equal to the trouble of buying/installing new things. I'd honestly pay the pred what they're asking. Sounds like a good deal, or it would be for my apt where I'd be lugging that crap up 3 flights of stairs.

Jiggit
July 1st, 2014, 09:03
Don't forget too that the trouble of selling/junking old stuff is equal to the trouble of buying/installing new things.

???

You order new stuff on the internet and they bring it to you. Or you buy it at a store and ask them to deliver it.

Which is opposed to having to load everything up in your car or rent a truck and take it all to the waste disposal site and fill out all the forms and drive around all the different places for putting different kinds of rubbish.

Ini
July 1st, 2014, 09:05
if you buy a new bed/washing machine/fridge etc then nitori/yodobashi/bic will normally take the old one away for free or for a very nominal fee.

tealparadise
July 1st, 2014, 09:36
???

You order new stuff on the internet and they bring it to you. Or you buy it at a store and ask them to deliver it.

Which is opposed to having to load everything up in your car or rent a truck and take it all to the waste disposal site and fill out all the forms and drive around all the different places for putting different kinds of rubbish.

True. I guess I just hate shopping/setting things up. For example I got a bed, and despite being delivered it was in pieces and I had to put the whole damn thing together myself. I was thinking of getting a new fridge, but the space where the current one is is oddly thin, and I couldn't find anything of a reasonable size at the store that would fit there.... still have my old broken fridge. Asked my BOE to switch it out for the next guy. Idk, it's a hassle to me. Whereas my town has 2 dumps- burnable and non-burnable. So whenever I have a BOE meeting in town I just leave early and swing by one or the other first.

Ananasboat
July 1st, 2014, 10:19
Gawked?

Balked?

He literally gawked. Not saying he didn't balk as well, just that he did indeed gawk.

Bi-Kun
July 1st, 2014, 10:41
Thanks for all responses guys! I do really think he is giving me a very good deal, but I couldn't not consult others. I don't mind helping him recoup some of the money he had to spend setting up, not to mention the large deposit the apartment also requires. It will save us both trouble and money.

I forgot to mention that there's a spare futon he's living as well. Not sure if he bought that or not, but still seems like a good deal to me.

I don't think it's completely unfair to ask for a little bit. Especially when my pred had to buy all of those things fresh off the boat. His asking price is very reasonable. I told him from the start that I didn't want to heckle over price and trusted his judgement and only asked he gave me a fair price. Which I certainly felt he had. But again, just had to check for full closure.

I do plan to upgrade the microwave eventually. But I'm not going to want to invest in that right away, so this will be very convenient for now.

word
July 1st, 2014, 10:45
heckle

heckle ≠ haggle

mrcharisma
July 1st, 2014, 10:46
Thanks for all responses guys! I do really think he is giving me a very good deal, but I couldn't not consult others. I don't mind helping him recoup some of the money he had to spend setting up, not to mention the large deposit the apartment also requires. It will save us both trouble and money.

I forgot to mention that there's a spare futon he's living as well. Not sure if he bought that or not, but still seems like a good deal to me.

I don't think it's completely unfair to ask for a little bit. Especially when my pred had to buy all of those things fresh off the boat. His asking price is very reasonable. I told him from the start that I didn't want to heckle over price and trusted his judgement and only asked he gave me a fair price. Which I certainly felt he had. But again, just had to check for full closure.

I do plan to upgrade the microwave eventually. But I'm not going to want to invest in that right away, so this will be very convenient for now.

Are you a man or a mouse? The guy is trying to squeeze cash out of you and your response is to "trust his judgement" and not "heckle"(sic)?

Man up, tell this grasper you're not interested and you'll likely get it for free.

Bi-Kun
July 1st, 2014, 10:52
Are you a man or a mouse? The guy is trying to squeeze cash out of you and your response is to "trust his judgement" and not "heckle"(sic)?

Man up, tell this grasper you're not interested and you'll likely get it for free.

That's a rather shitty move. I wouldn't want someone to take advantage of me like that and nor do I think it's wise to take such a chance. If I were him and my successor pulled that, I would cash out those items and get what I could. In which case, I as the successor would be stuck spending a lot more on those items with the extreme added inconvenience of having to get them when I arrived.

Being a man doesn't mean taking advantage of others. That's selfish, disrespectful and immature.

mrcharisma
July 1st, 2014, 11:00
Being a man doesn't mean taking advantage of others. That's selfish, disrespectful and immature.

It does mean not letting others take advantage of you, which is exactly what will happen if you give him the money. With the possible exception of the washing machine everything you are being given is worthless second-hand. At this stage the only way he is likely to "cash out" is by taking all the stuff to a recycle store where he'll be lucky to get 5000 yen back for it, so you have all the power in this transaction but are just going along with his demands to be nice.

I know it's not a huge amount of cash and it's easier just to agree, but by doing so you are ensuring JETs continue with the callous tradition of ripping off their successors.

word
July 1st, 2014, 11:02
I think charisma's point is that this works both ways. In my experience, preds trying to squeeze a few man worth of "going home money" out of naive, excited new successors is far more common than the reverse situation.

Bi-Kun
July 1st, 2014, 11:38
It does mean not letting others take advantage of you, which is exactly what will happen if you give him the money. With the possible exception of the washing machine everything you are being given is worthless second-hand. At this stage the only way he is likely to "cash out" is by taking all the stuff to a recycle store where he'll be lucky to get 5000 yen back for it, so you have all the power in this transaction but are just going along with his demands to be nice.

I know it's not a huge amount of cash and it's easier just to agree, but by doing so you are ensuring JETs continue with the callous tradition of ripping off their successors.

It really doesn't seem like I'm being taken advantage of though and quite a few here have said this seems like a very good deal. Aren't a washer/dryer, stove, fridge and microwave necessities? The bed is also exactly what I had in mind as well. Wouldn't getting those items myself be pretty much the same price or more expensive? Not to mention the added trouble and stress of needing them upon arrival. I'm not sure that aspect has been evaluated. If his offer is cheaper than what I would pay otherwise, I don't consider it being taken advantage of.

I'm sure there are preds who have been money hungry tards, but I'm not sure this is the case. I appreciate the word of caution, but I hope you can give a clear minded analysis now that you've made your concerns known. I do appreciate that.

I think charisma's point is that this works both ways. In my experience, preds trying to squeeze a few man worth of "going home money" out of naive, excited new successors is far more common than the reverse situation.

I can see that. But do you think this deal is not in my best interest? I think it will save me money instead of buying them all myself. Isn't that enough to justify inheriting his items? Why not help another JET recoop some of their losses than line the pockets of others?

ScoobyDoobyBoob
July 1st, 2014, 11:39
heckle ≠ haggle

Shh, just let him be. It's adorable.

OP, I respect your view on things. All things aside, you should do whatever you feel is right. It's your money, your future place, etc.

I think what everyone wants you to do is just be wary of the fact that he could just be milking you for extra cash. Confirm with your supervisor/BOE what is included with the place. But if you feel like it's worth it, my suggestion is to go for it.

Bi-Kun
July 1st, 2014, 11:44
OP, I respect your view on things. All things aside, you should do whatever you feel is right. It's your money, your future place, etc.

I think what everyone wants you to do is just be wary of the fact that he could just be milking you for extra cash. Confirm with your supervisor/BOE what is included with the place. But if you feel like it's worth it, my suggestion is to go for it.

Thanks for your input. I do plan to ask my supervisor about it, but we've only exchanged 1 e-mail so far and haven't gone into too much discussion just yet. Don't want to overwhelm them.

word
July 1st, 2014, 11:51
It really doesn't seem like I'm being taken advantage of though and quite a few here have said this seems like a very good deal. Aren't a washer/dryer, stove, fridge and microwave necessities? Yes, which is why the BoE usually provides all of those things. Not all BoEs... but the vast majority do. It's unfortunately common, however, for unscrupulous JETs to tell their successors that they bought all of these items (extremely unlikely, unless s/he was the first ALT evar hired by this particular BoE) and attempt to charge their successor for them.

Confirm with your supervisor/BOE what is included with the place.

This. Do it before you send your pred any money.

The bed is also exactly what I had in mind as well. Wouldn't getting those items myself be pretty much the same price or more expensive not to mention the added trouble and stress of needed them upon arrival?Maybe. Unless all of those things are being provided by your BoE, anyway, in which case your successor is just a money-grubbing jerk.

But do you think this deal is not in my best interest?Maybe. Maybe not. It depends on what your supervisor/BoE has to say about what's provided.

I think it will save me money instead of buying them all myself. Isn't that enough to justify inheriting his items? Why not help another JET recoop some of their losses than line the pockets of others?Because you might just be lining said JET's pockets, rather than "helping [him] to recoop [sic] some of [his] losses."

Bi-Kun
July 1st, 2014, 11:55
Yes, which is why the BoE usually provides all of those things. Not all BoEs... but the vast majority do. It's unfortunately common, however, for unscrupulous JETs to tell their successors that they bought all of these items (extremely unlikely, unless s/he was the first ALT evar hired by this particular BoE) and attempt to charge their successor for them.

This. Do it before you send your pred any money.

Maybe. Unless all of those things are being provided by your BoE, anyway, in which case your successor is just a money-grubbing jerk.

Maybe. Maybe not. It depends on what your supervisor/BoE has to say about what's provided.

Because you might just be lining said JET's pockets, rather than "helping [him] to recoop [sic] some of [his] losses."

I've only stated I am interested but have yet to commit. I will be sure to ask my supervisor first! Thanks to others as well who joined in to encourage me to do so. Can't hurt.

coop52
July 1st, 2014, 11:58
It's not your responsibility, either, to help your pred "recoup" their losses. A lot of people think they're entitled to get their full investment back from the money spent on furnishing their apartment because they're dumb kids who're living by themselves for the first time and don't understand the concept of depreciation. Buy the items if you think that they're worth it, but keep in mind that they're probably not worth as much as he's asking.

Bi-Kun
July 1st, 2014, 12:00
It's not your responsibility, either, to help your pred "recoup" their losses. A lot of people think they're entitled to get their full investment back from the money spent on furnishing their apartment because they're dumb kids who're living by themselves for the first time and don't understand the concept of depreciation. Buy the items if you think that they're worth it, but keep in mind that they're probably not worth as much as he's asking.

True. What would you assess their value as? Maybe what he probably bought them for and what he'd be able to salvage from them?

Ini
July 1st, 2014, 12:01
futons are worthless, you shouldnt be paying for them.

the other stuff the relevant number is what it would cost you to buy a replacement at a second hand shop, not what the shop will give the person selling. If you are going in with the attitude you are going to stay there 2/3/4/5+ years then you might prefer to not buy that stuff and explain you would rather buy new when you arrive. If you are just going to go to a recycle shop to buy used stuff anyway you might as well buy the stuff your pred is selling. It will take you some time to get yourself established, get your finances in order, locate a good place to buy stuff from etc. I would recommend buying the stuff so you have something in your apartment when you arrive and then you can slowly replace it in the first few months. Delivery times on beds and large white goods can be anything from 1 to 4 weeks. For the sake of 3.5man I'd go for a bed to sleep on and a washing machine to deal with my sweaty undercrackers from the first night. May be worth checking that those items are your preds to sell in the first place but if you roll the dice on expecting him to just leave it if you dont pay then you could find yourself sleeping on a crappy overpriced futon you had to buy on your first night from the local inaka rip-off merchants and going to the coin laundry for the first few weeks.

word
July 1st, 2014, 12:02
word

Keep in mind, Bi, that we're eventually going to tell your successor all of these same things. There's a reason why I think the "everything free except the big $$ items" system is the best, even though my pred didn't go that route. If it's not worth selling to another ALT or recycle shop, it should be given to your successor, imho.

Bi-Kun
July 1st, 2014, 12:33
futons are worthless, you shouldnt be paying for them.

the other stuff the relevant number is what it would cost you to buy a replacement at a second hand shop, not what the shop will give the person selling. If you are going in with the attitude you are going to stay there 2/3/4/5+ years then you might prefer to not buy that stuff and explain you would rather buy new when you arrive. If you are just going to go to a recycle shop to buy used stuff anyway you might as well buy the stuff your pred is selling. It will take you some time to get yourself established, get your finances in order, locate a good place to buy stuff from etc. I would recommend buying the stuff so you have something in your apartment when you arrive and then you can slowly replace it in the first few months. Delivery times on beds and large white goods can be anything from 1 to 4 weeks. For the sake of 3.5man I'd go for a bed to sleep on and a washing machine to deal with my sweaty undercrackers from the first night. May be worth checking that those items are your preds to sell in the first place but if you roll the dice on expecting him to just leave it if you dont pay then you could find yourself sleeping on a crappy overpriced futon you had to buy on your first night from the local inaka rip-off merchants and going to the coin laundry for the first few weeks.

Thanks for the input, Ini. I won't have the finances to or want to drop money on brand new items when I arrive. So as you suggested, I'd be at recycle shops anyways. I am in a major city too though, the capital of the prefecture with department stores and recycle shops within a 15min walk in multiple directions. So if my pred's items don't cut it, it won't be a major issue. I've somehow been blessed with the privileged life. :^_^:

word

Keep in mind, Bi, that we're eventually going to tell your successor all of these same things. There's a reason why I think the "everything free except the big $$ items" system is the best, even though my pred didn't go that route. If it's not worth selling to another ALT or recycle shop, it should be given to your successor, imho.

I'll certainly only charge for large items, such as my pred is seemingly doing now. The bed is kind of just something thrown in.

word
July 1st, 2014, 12:41
I'm still betting that your pred didn't actually buy the stovetop, the fridge, or the washer/dryer.

Ini
July 1st, 2014, 12:42
i can see an ALT buying a mini fridge. a BOE would have bought a normal one.

Bi-Kun
July 1st, 2014, 12:50
I'm still betting that your pred didn't actually buy the stovetop, the fridge, or the washer/dryer.

I'll let you know.

i can see an ALT buying a mini fridge. a BOE would have bought a normal one.

Mini according to American standards, but normal for Japan I suppose. How big of a fridge do/did you have??

Ini
July 1st, 2014, 12:56
when you said mini I thought you meant

a standard small japanese fridge is more like

most normal people have

Bi-Kun
July 1st, 2014, 13:00
when you said mini I thought you meant

a standard small japanese fridge is more like

most normal people have

Standard small Japanese size.

mothy
July 1st, 2014, 13:16
I don't know why some people want to convince bisexual-coon that he is being bilked. The prices match up well with what he would have to pay to get them on his own. And while there's a chance he could end up unhappy with his purchase, it's not likely. And even if he does it's not such a large sum of money that he can't recover. Just pay for the shit and save yourself both a heap of trouble.

mrcharisma
July 1st, 2014, 13:18
All of the money-grabbers wheel out the the same sob story about "recouping losses" and offer to "throw in" worthless crap like old futons. You owe this guy nothing and I've no idea why you feel responsible for his finances. Nothing he's selling has any resale value except the washer / dryer and given the recycle shop will offer him a thousand yen for it, you'd be mad to part with 3.5man without bargaining at least.

It's not about taking advantage and it would be naive to think that this guy is somehow doing you a favour. He wants money for going home and thinks he can get some out of you. It's as simple as that.

Ini
July 1st, 2014, 13:21
thats not the point. why say no to all that stuff then go to a recycle shop and buy the exact same stuff for 3.5man just because you dont want to line the pockets of your pred? you'd rather give you money to hard-off than a brother in arms? what sort of race traitor are you?

Jiggit
July 1st, 2014, 13:25
thats not the point. why say no to all that stuff then go to a recycle shop and buy the exact same stuff for 3.5man just because you dont want to line the pockets of your pred? you'd rather give you money to hard-off than a brother in arms? what sort of race traitor are you?

I'd rather give my money to the Japan communist party than another ALT.

mrcharisma
July 1st, 2014, 13:31
He'll likely still get all that stuff for free and won't have to suffer the indignity of knowing he lined the pockets of some greasy-haired anime-lover.

I agree that pragmatically it may make sense, I just wouldn't allow someone to try and rustle cash out of me like that. If the OP had the stones to grind this weasel down to 1man I'd have considered it a job well done.

uthinkimlost?
July 1st, 2014, 13:33
He'll likely still get all that stuff for free and won't have to suffer the indignity of knowing he lined the pockets of some greasy-haired anime-lover.

I agree that pragmatically it may make sense, I just wouldn't allow someone to try and rustle cash out of me like that. If the OP had the stones to grind this weasel down to 1man I'd have considered it a job well done.

Who hurt you?

Antonath
July 1st, 2014, 13:34
I just wouldn't allow someone to try and rustle cash out of me like that.
Given how determined you are that the predecessor is a money-grubbing, good-for-nothing scum-bag trying to fleece their successor for every yen they can, I can't help but wonder if you did allow someone - your own pred, say? - to rip you off...

mrcharisma
July 1st, 2014, 13:41
Given how determined you are that the predecessor is a money-grubbing, good-for-nothing scum-bag trying to fleece their successor for every yen they can, I can't help but wonder if you did allow someone - your own pred, say? - to rip you off...

I didn't give him a penny, but had to deal with all the junk he left. Most JETs I know who did pay felt they paid too much in hindsight and I just find the whole practice repulsive.

Ini
July 1st, 2014, 13:47
you could post the photos he sent here then people could give you a better estimate as to their value....

word
July 1st, 2014, 14:28
Yeh, I don't oppose the sale from a practical point of view. I find it unlikely that Bi's pred actually bought all that sh*t, but if he did, then hell, it might not be a bad deal. (Also, what the actual f*ck; I'm honestly curious what sort of BoE drops a new ALT into a completely barren apartment. No cooktop? No microwave? No fridge? No nothing? It's not impossible, just rather unlikely, imo). On the other hand, if Bi buys a "new" fridge from a recycle shop, at least it'll probably be clean and not full of long-expired bottles of salad dressing.

Ini
July 1st, 2014, 14:29
i dunno, some of the fridges in hard-off smell like something died in them.

mothy
July 1st, 2014, 15:30
(Also, what the actual f*ck; I'm honestly curious what sort of BoE drops a new ALT into a completely barren apartment. No cooktop? No microwave? No fridge? No nothing? It's not impossible, just rather unlikely, imo).

Saitama BoE for one. With how little schools are willing to pay for maintenance and furnishings in the schools, I find it highly likely it's not that rare.

word
July 1st, 2014, 15:37
Yeah, but that's Saitama. I'm wouldn't be surprised if they just put their ALTs in cardboard-and-tarp shelters under an overpass.

jacklostinred
July 2nd, 2014, 13:22
Yeah, but that's Saitama. I'm wouldn't be surprised if they just put their ALTs in cardboard-and-tarp shelters under an overpass.

Thank you for reminding me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=82ZlnI9Pwa8

windar
July 3rd, 2014, 11:29
I didn't give him a penny, but had to deal with all the junk he left. Most JETs I know who did pay felt they paid too much in hindsight and I just find the whole practice repulsive.

Good point. My pred tried to sell me a 9 mo. old AC unit for nearly 80% of the original price, with the bonus of "throwing everything else (fridge, furnishings, etc.) in."

When I arrived, the place was a total shit-hole. Most preds panic pre-departure and fail to clean. The cupboards and fridge were full of her food, some rags were drying on a rack, a broken desk was sitting waiting to be carried to the trash dump, dust everywhere, and the drawers full of nearly empty cosmetics that she "thought might want to use"... the couch was made of flaking vinyl, etc. etc.

Luckily, she was still in town, and I was able to (awkwardly) confront her about the mess. "Oh, I'm sorry!" she said, "I totally forgot to tell you about the desk. Just call the so-dai gomi center and set it out on Wednesday and they'll pick it up." "What about the (f*cking) lufa you left hanging in the shower?" "Oh, I thought you might ... um ... need it?"

When it was clear she wouldn't volunteer to come by and finish cleaning the apartment, I volunteered to do it in exchange for a "free" air-conditioner.

Charisma's right to be circumspect. This pred had never lived on her own before, as most JETs haven't, and developed some filthy, hoarding habits. Bi-Kun would be wise to see overall photos of their apartment in general, and photos of the inside of the fridge and microwave. Nothing worse than [I]paying to clean up someone's mess for them in their absence.

Bi-Kun
July 3rd, 2014, 12:08
Good point. My pred tried to sell me a 9 mo. old AC unit for nearly 80% of the original price, with the bonus of "throwing everything else (fridge, furnishings, etc.) in."

When I arrived, the place was a total shit-hole. Most preds panic pre-departure and fail to clean. The cupboards and fridge were full of her food, some rags were drying on a rack, a broken desk was sitting waiting to be carried to the trash dump, dust everywhere, and the drawers full of nearly empty cosmetics that she "thought might want to use"... the couch was made of flaking vinyl, etc. etc.

Luckily, she was still in town, and I was able to (awkwardly) confront her about the mess. "Oh, I'm sorry!" she said, "I totally forgot to tell you about the desk. Just call the so-dai gomi center and set it out on Wednesday and they'll pick it up." "What about the (f*cking) lufa you left hanging in the shower?" "Oh, I thought you might ... um ... need it?"

When it was clear she wouldn't volunteer to come by and finish cleaning the apartment, I volunteered to do it in exchange for a "free" air-conditioner.

Charisma's right to be circumspect. This pred had never lived on her own before, as most JETs haven't, and developed some filthy, hoarding habits. Bi-Kun would be wise to see overall photos of their apartment in general, and photos of the inside of the fridge and microwave. Nothing worse than [I]paying to clean up someone's mess for them in their absence.

My pred provided pictures of the apartment in his initial e-mail. He doesn't really seem to have many things and it was very clean in the pictures. Most of the possible clutter he could leave behind would be a bunch of liquor. I wouldn't mind that so much I suppose!

Ini
July 3rd, 2014, 12:10
check the exif data for dates. those could be the pics his pred sent him.....

Bi-Kun
July 3rd, 2014, 13:50
check the exif data for dates. those could be the pics his pred sent him.....

Just for you Ini, I checked. Taken the day I received them.

word
July 3rd, 2014, 14:04
That data could be faked. Check the pictures for any signs of 'shopping or, better yet, send them off for professional forensic analysis.

Ini
July 3rd, 2014, 14:09
exactly, any goon can change that!

look at the light patterns coming through the window, do they match the weather conditions for the day the picture was "supposedly" taken?

Bi-Kun
July 3rd, 2014, 15:05

Shincantsen
July 3rd, 2014, 23:10
Y'all some bitter, paranoid motherfckers.

Ziggy
July 4th, 2014, 11:45
It`s best to be suspicious. I would ask your BOE what they will provide first. Many BOEs will provide a futon, washing machine, fridge and burner...I know for a fact that some BOEs have big rooms of old appliances that schools no longer use. 

I would definitely pass on the bed..Do you really want to sleep on someone`s old mattress? You can buy a futon set at Nitori for cheap and it`s actually nice to have the extra space as some apartments can be really small. Japanese microwaves are crummy. If you plan on doing any baking, get an oven-microwave. Some people don`t take care of their appliances and moldy futons and mattresses are disgusting.

Just to give you an idea of what the above items would cost if you bout them new:
-A new OVEN microwave on amazon japan or from Nitori runs around 1man. You can often find them at second hand shops for half the price. A new simple microwave costs around 5,000 yen.
-a futon set from Nitori costs from 6,000 to 9,000 yen

Some other points:
-Basic washing machines are inexpensive. Laundromats and hand washing are underrated--you can wash a load or two of clothing once a week for around 400 yen and bring them home to dry on a line. Hand washing is really easy. I have seen some mold filled washing machines...so get pictures.

-gas burners go for cheap at recycle shops. Amazon sells a single burner unit for 3,400 yen.

-used fridges are fairly inexpensive. Just how small is this mini-fridge. Does it have a freezer?

Biggest point is get current pictures and the name of the model, compare the price to what the model costs new and don`t pay more than half of that price. Most preds are not out to get you but it`s best to play it safe.

Ini
July 4th, 2014, 11:54
sleep on the floor? are you a dog?

you can get a microwave for 5000 and an oven microwave for a man if you want a piece of junk. My oven set me back 5man and it was a middle of the road one.

Ziggy
July 4th, 2014, 12:25
Are you suggesting that this poor soul risk bed bugs? Shame on you.

I`m assuming that Bi-Kun is on a budget and not planning to become a unicorn right of the bat. What are you a moron, it`s a given that if you are willing to spend more, you can buy a superior product. Not everyone needs a lard-butt sized oven capable of handling 10,000 calories worth of cheese and butter filled casserole. 5man! What do you have? A top of the line Toshiba steam injection oven? You must roast a huge piece of meat every holiday. My oven microwave set me back 2man, bakes bread and desserts to perfection and is just big enough for a large chicken at Christmas.

greyjoy
July 4th, 2014, 12:26
My BOE isn't replying to my emails.

Ini
July 4th, 2014, 12:26
I dont cook, I just bought it because kitchens should have ovens

greyjoy
July 4th, 2014, 12:30
comma splice

Ziggy
July 4th, 2014, 12:35
You in Japan now, boy. The only thing a kitchen needs is a burner with a fish grill and rice cooker.

Ini
July 4th, 2014, 12:37
He who controls the splice, controls the universe!

a kitchen needs lots of things nobody ever uses. If you just have a burner and a rice cooker your house looks like a crack den.

Ziggy
July 4th, 2014, 12:42
The mystery of life in Japan isn't a problem to solve, but a reality to experience

word
July 4th, 2014, 13:20
My BOE isn't replying to my emails.Electronic mail? Your Board of Education can't be arsed with that sorcery! Send them a fax like any normal human being.

He who controls the splice, controls the universe!
I just came a little bit.

uthinkimlost?
July 4th, 2014, 13:27
My BOE isn't replying to my emails.

Are you sending several a day, ending in Plz Respond? 'Cuz that's totes what I'd do.

greyjoy
July 4th, 2014, 14:28
Ugh, really? I hate being all nattering like that. I thought the Japanese were all about subtlety and politeness.

Page
July 4th, 2014, 14:39
Y'all some bitter, paranoid motherfckers.

If you think they're being serious ..carryon.

For most electronics I'd recommend waiting until New Year's to replace them (if you'll be in the country and are planning to buy new). I got a $1000 oven for $400 thanks to New Year's sales and price matching.

webstaa
July 4th, 2014, 14:48
If you think they're being serious ..carryon.

For most electronics I'd recommend waiting until New Year's to replace them (if you'll be in the country and are planning to buy new). I got a $1000 oven for $400 thanks to New Year's sales and price matching.

Be sure to buy before April 1st. The sales tax rate is going up again. Also, best sales are around New Years and the beginning of April.

porridge
July 7th, 2014, 09:57
Long time lurker, first time poster here.

Just wanted to ask the OP will your pred be there when you arrive or will he be gone by then? If he is it's a good idea to not pay him until you have arrived at your place & can check that everything is in good condition & working order. Or ask if you can pay half now & half later when you arrive. I mean you wouldn't buy appliances or furniture at home without checking it was in good condition right? If he's as nice as you say then it shouldn't be a problem. I know everyone here seems really cynical about your pred but I wholeheartedly agree with them.

When I came my pred left a few days after I arrived so I paid him in person. Unfortunately I was so tired & jet lagged I didn't check my stuff properly & the bed I bought off him turned out to have a broken frame. Had I know that before I paid him I wouldn't have paid him for it. Like your pred he seemed like a really nice guy, same country I'm from, really helpful before I came. Lots of emails sent back & forth & he sent me loads of pictures before I came too. He seemed pretty clean but when I arrived the place hadn't been cleaned in a while & I had to do it. Also another girl I came with got ripped off by her pred. It's a cliche but you can never be too careful.......

Gizmotech
July 7th, 2014, 12:31
I agree with porridge. If there is a period of time where you are both in the same place, save the money until then. It probably would've saved my friend quite a bit of cash had he done that instead of being ripped off by his pred.

word
July 7th, 2014, 13:22
It's a cliche but you can never be too careful.......It's a cliche because it happens far too often; some leaver is scrambling for money at the end and makes up all sorts of questionable justifications for charging xis successor 3-5man for a bunch of worthless garbage. Add to that the fact that a lot of naive new JETs are under the laughable impression that their preds are going to be reasonable, professional adults, and you've got a stereotype in the making.

par92186
July 8th, 2014, 10:41
I'm honestly curious what sort of BoE drops a new ALT into a completely barren apartment. No cooktop? No microwave? No fridge? No nothing? It's not impossible, just rather unlikely, imo).

Spoke with my pred this week and the BOE is moving me into another apartment closer to my school. What was originally close to 60mins of a one way commute by train will now only be 15mins by bike. The only downside is my new apartment is completely barren. The BOE isn't buying anything for the new pad which is a total downer. My pred however, seems like a real legit guy. He's selling me a bed, microwave, dvd player, vacuum, storage piece, desk, and washer for between 12,000-15,000. Which I feel is extremely generous. He's even moving the stuff into my new place for me. I definitely owe this guy a few beers for his troubles.

Although the new place will be completely barren (aside from my preds items he's selling) I am pretty happy to not have to deal with a mountain of collected sh*t from previous JETs.

Ini
July 8th, 2014, 10:46
might want to enquire about light fittings and aircon units now. If the apartment doesnt have them then its something you are going to want to budget for so you can get them in your first week.

par92186
July 8th, 2014, 10:51
might want to enquire about light fittings and aircon units now. If the apartment doesnt have them then its something you are going to want to budget for so you can get them in your first week.

Good advice Ini. Around how much do light fittings and aircon units run?

Ini
July 8th, 2014, 10:58
well the last few apartments I moved into came with aircon but only had lights in the hallway/bathroom/kitchen. for bedrooms and living rooms I had to buy lights. Cheaper/older places might not have aircon but may come with lights.

lights can go from a few thousand up to whatever depending what style you want and if you want ceiling fans/remote control/something that isnt made of cheap chinese plastic etc.

aircons depend on the size of the room you are trying to cool but go from 3-30man.

par92186
July 8th, 2014, 11:04
Thanks for the help Ini.

osakavamp
July 15th, 2014, 07:43
I thought it might be fun to share that my pred asked me to pay $1000 for her stuff.

Ananasboat
July 15th, 2014, 07:48
My preds asking me for nothing, apartment fully stocked. Just thought you wanted me to brag.

uthinkimlost?
July 15th, 2014, 07:48
I thought it might be fun to share that my pred asked me to pay $1000 for her stuff.

Pics?

osakavamp
July 15th, 2014, 07:52
They were good, to be fair. She kept the place clean and orderly, it seems. Don't want to put them up here just yet in case she lurks this forum.

The biggest ticket items were an aircon unit she claimed to have several hundred man for three years ago, a bed frame and a mattress. Everything else is furniture, lighting and shelving she got at Ikea (bed and mattress included), aside from stuff she herself got from her pred.

But she was also trying to sell me odd stuff like towels, curtains, blankets, and bedding. She isn't staying in Japan, by the way, but returning home.

Gizmotech
July 15th, 2014, 08:03
Osakavamp finds one of the gems in the jet program.... And people wonder why itil is so cynical about this stuff.

Ini
July 15th, 2014, 08:06
10man aint that much if its good quality......

Ini
July 15th, 2014, 08:28
It's pretty high. I mean, are you willing to use a strangers mattress?

have you never stayed in a hotel?

a decent queen size mattress alone will run you 10man so getting an aircon, bed frame, lighting, shelving etc as well aint that bad. Of course if its a shitty 1man mattress then its a rip off. thats what makes these threads pointless as we cant tell you how much something is worth if you just say "bed"/"air con"/"car".

Muts
July 15th, 2014, 10:27
$1000 could be reasonable but it depends a lot on the quality of the things. As Ini said, without more details any advice is pretty much pointless.

Do you mean several hundred thousand for the aircon rather than several hundred man?
For the big items you should make sure you get more details. For example what model is the aircon? If your pred. spent several hundred thousand it should probably be a top of the range model. If your pred. doesn't provide you with details then start to get suspicious. To me it seems slightly strange that a JET would buy a top of the range aircon if they were only expecting to get a few years use out of it.
If you buy from a normal electronics store you could probably expect to pay between about 60,000-300,000. The higher end of the range is unlikely unless it's for a very large room.

Any small things worth less than about 5000 yen are pretty much worthless if resold so you shouldn't really add them into the calculation. So long as you pay a fair price for the bigger items your pred. should be willing to leave those items for free. If they're not then that's another reason to get suspicious.

mrcharisma
July 15th, 2014, 10:33
Tell this reptile exactly where to stick her aircon and watch her asking price plummet.

Given the short timescale she won't be removing it and selling it on elsewhere.

word
July 15th, 2014, 10:53
I get the feeling that the OP didn't go for it, anyway.

webstaa
July 16th, 2014, 08:24

We can certainly hope.

pumarito
July 17th, 2014, 14:25
dont buy your preds crap unless its actually nice and something they forked out big cash for new, like an air conditioner.

Bi-Kun
July 18th, 2014, 12:45
Thanks for those who gave their view on things... Especially porridge for coming off lurker for me haha.

http://i62.tinypic.com/k9tjih.jpg

word
July 18th, 2014, 13:13
We can certainly hope.

http://i62.tinypic.com/k9tjih.jpgOh, sorry; I actually meant the poster whose pred wanted $1000. Bi-kun your pred may or may not be on the level. Please let us know how it turns out; it's so hard to get people to follow through with their stories!

Bi-Kun
July 18th, 2014, 13:20
Oh, sorry; I actually meant the poster whose pred wanted $1000. Bi-kun your pred may or may not be on the level. Please let us know how it turns out; it's so hard to get people to follow through with their stories!

Aye aye captain. Give me a couple weeks.

Elvis
July 31st, 2014, 09:31
My pred is trying to sell me from washing machine to furnitures, bed, A/C, etc... for 200,000 yens.
This is crazy...

Elvis
July 31st, 2014, 17:57
My pred wants to sell me everything ... for 200,000 yens. How much should I expect to need to spend to get a basic flat set-up (appliances and furniture)? From the comments I have read here, this appears to be extremely high, even though the place was originally bare or so he says.

Jiggit
July 31st, 2014, 23:39
My pred wants to sell me everything ... for 200,000 yens. How much should I expect to need to spend to get a basic flat set-up (appliances and furniture)? From the comments I have read here, this appears to be extremely high, even though the place was originally bare or so he says.

Wait, they're trying to get you to pay now? Aren't you here already?

word
July 31st, 2014, 23:46
Unless that comes with a vehicle, that cost is ridiculous, and I'd tell him to eat a d*ck if I were you.

Bi-Kun
August 1st, 2014, 00:39

Without a breakdown of what leads to that 20man, I'd agree with word instinctively . Pick the few items you actually need that your pred had to personally buy and ask him/her for a price for just those items. If it's a ridiculous price, try and discuss it with him/her. If they won't budge or are still quite too high, tell them where to shove it. They've obviously waited until the last minute. Group B departs on Saturday.

itsabird
August 1st, 2014, 04:03
3 small tables
1 large table
1 small sofa
1 TV
1 computer
1 cat tower
2 shelves
1 air conditioner/heater
1 floor heater
1 washing machine
many dishes, silverware, pots, a fry pan, baking sheets, and cooking utensils
1 dish wrack
1 rice cooker
1 toaster over
1 dish dryer
1 wooden kitchen table
4 kitchen table chairs
<20 DVDs in English and Japanese
<30 books
2 beds
1 futon
5 curtains and rails
1 Genki English pack (includes cards, 8 CDs, and access to all of the internet stuff)
A bunch of games, teaching supplies, holiday supplies, flash cards

Says its mine, and that the stuff the landlady owns has stickers and is not included in the list (though I'm not sure about the TV). Asking $500. And I depart in 2 days :|.... Kinda late to be receiving a list in my opinion lol but what y'all think?

By the way, I adopted 2 cats apparently and that is why there is a cat tower in that list :|.

lightpop
August 1st, 2014, 05:07
Two cats? And they didn't ask you about this first? What if you were allergic or something?

Elvis
August 1st, 2014, 05:29
3 small tables
1 large table
1 small sofa
1 TV
1 computer
1 cat tower
2 shelves
1 air conditioner/heater
1 floor heater
1 washing machine
many dishes, silverware, pots, a fry pan, baking sheets, and cooking utensils
1 dish wrack
1 rice cooker
1 toaster over
1 dish dryer
1 wooden kitchen table
4 kitchen table chairs
<20 DVDs in English and Japanese
<30 books
2 beds
1 futon
5 curtains and rails
1 Genki English pack (includes cards, 8 CDs, and access to all of the internet stuff)
A bunch of games, teaching supplies, holiday supplies, flash cards

Says its mine, and that the stuff the landlady owns has stickers and is not included in the list (though I'm not sure about the TV). Asking $500. And I depart in 2 days :|.... Kinda late to be receiving a list in my opinion lol but what y'all think?

By the way, I adopted 2 cats apparently and that is why there is a cat tower in that list :|.

The list he gave me is similar to yours, with a few less items... I will pick and choose a few and offer a price. I'll see how it goes.

itsabird
August 1st, 2014, 05:30
Two cats? And they didn't ask you about this first? What if you were allergic or something?
Lol no they asked. But I didn't mind, kind of. Woulda been nice not having to pay for cat food and kitty litter :|.

ihatefall
August 1st, 2014, 08:06
Lol no they asked. But I didn't mind, kind of. Woulda been nice not having to pay for cat food and kitty litter :|.

Tell them you want 20man to take care of their cats for a whole year.

Ini
August 1st, 2014, 08:26
seems a high price to me unless everything is under a year old and was of decent quality to begin with.

if its a bunch of trash from the recycle shop/nitori then I'd pass.

Jiggit
August 1st, 2014, 08:29
I depart in 2 days

Yeah if they didn't even contact you until now there's no way this hobo is getting rid of that stuff before you arrive.

Personally I'd tell them to pay me to take care of the cats or they're going in a sack in the river with a brick for company.

SomePeopleJustSaySnow
August 1st, 2014, 08:40
Personally I'd tell them to pay me to take care of the cats or they're going in a sack in the river with a brick for company.

But make sure it's a waterproof sack, or they might drown!

Ini
August 1st, 2014, 08:51
3 small tables - 3000
1 large table - 5000-10000
1 small sofa - is this a proper sofa or one of those shit sit on the floor japanese jobs? 2000-10000
1 TV - ????????? CRT or LCD? 19inch or 72inch? 3D? youtube? 1hdmi port? 6 hdmi ports? 4k? sony or green house? 0-500000
1 computer - ???????????? netbook or spec'd out mac pro? 0-150000
1 cat tower - 500
2 shelves - 1000
1 air conditioner/heater - ????? 6 mat or 18mat? cooler only or cooler/heater/dehumidifier? 5000-50000
1 floor heater - 0-8000
1 washing machine - ?????? washer drier? washing only? 3kg? 15kg? 2000-80000
many dishes, silverware, pots, a fry pan, baking sheets, and cooking utensils - 0-3000
1 dish wrack - 200
1 rice cooker - ??????? size? brand? 0-10000
1 toaster over - ?????? size? brand? 0-10000
1 dish dryer - 0-5000
1 wooden kitchen table - size? brand? 2000-20000
4 kitchen table chairs - 2000-20000
<20 DVDs in English and Japanese - 2000?
<30 books - 3000?
2 beds - ?????? size? whats the frame made of? what type of mattresses? 4000-80000
1 futon - 0
5 curtains and rails - 5000
1 Genki English pack (includes cards, 8 CDs, and access to all of the internet stuff) - less than 0
A bunch of games, teaching supplies, holiday supplies, flash cards - 0

ihatefall
August 1st, 2014, 10:16
Tell them you want 20man to take care of their cats for a whole year.

We're definitely on the same page.

coop52
August 1st, 2014, 12:53
Watch your apartment be a place that doesn't allow pets and you get stuck with the fines and any repair bills.

itsabird
August 1st, 2014, 12:56
Watch your apartment be a place that doesn't allow pets and you get stuck with the fines and any repair bills.
Lol preds been there 6 years. And apparently it's a 2bed1bath house for 350/mo

coop52
August 1st, 2014, 12:59
Still doesn't mean that the landlord doesn't want pets there.

itsabird
August 1st, 2014, 13:01
Still doesn't mean that the landlord doesn't want pets there.

Touche D: ... River bag idea it is! Thanks guys!

ihatefall
August 1st, 2014, 17:37
Just make sure your landlord and supervisor know about the cats that you were left with before hand. Also if you don't want the cats, I am sure other ALTs will.

Bi-Kun
August 9th, 2014, 09:10
Update: All was as it seemed. Think I certainly got a fair price and the condition of the items were as described.

word
August 9th, 2014, 12:58
Pred actually owned all those items? I'm honestly quite surprised that at least some of them weren't supplied by the BoE. Cool, though.

Bi-Kun
August 12th, 2014, 14:11
Pred actually owned all those items? I'm honestly quite surprised that at least some of them weren't supplied by the BoE. Cool, though.

Yup. All checked out and verified with others. Thanks for your input before guys! Cya~

mothy
August 13th, 2014, 23:07
Oh snap. I was right. Love of your fellow man yall

coheeshosho
August 20th, 2014, 10:22
First of all, be really careful of preds. Confirm that they actually bought these items and are not trying to sell the city's. Don't offer them anything. Just say that you want the place to be empty of all items when you move in. They will end up leaving all those things, and untold other crap that YOU will have to throw away on your own, without any help. Consider it a fair deal. You'll take the things they can't get rid of in exchange for your time and labor cleaning their crap. Your time is worth more than 3.5 man. F@$k preds.

Jiggit
August 20th, 2014, 11:14
First of all, be really careful of preds. Confirm that they actually bought these items and are not trying to sell the city's. Don't offer them anything. Just say that you want the place to be empty of all items when you move in. They will end up leaving all those things, and untold other crap that YOU will have to throw away on your own, without any help. Consider it a fair deal. You'll take the things they can't get rid of in exchange for your time and labor cleaning their crap. Your time is worth more than 3.5 man. F@$k preds.

I think we might have covered that already, sport.

ihatefall
August 20th, 2014, 11:46
You could end up with a pred that would illegal dump things/ give them to other ALTs in order to spite you....I mean honor your request.

coheeshosho
August 20th, 2014, 12:08
Yeah, I was just commenting from my experience. I actually offered the guy 3 man for a few things. He left a bunch of trash and bullshit, completely ignored my request that he should clean and get rid of food. He claimed that all the garbage he left belonged to other people even though there were empty boxes in the closets from recently purchased items. I told him I wasn't paying, he cried to my BOE and I still refused to pay. Then he had someone from his eikaiwa class pick up the things, (not even close to 3 man worth of items).

ihatefall
August 21st, 2014, 01:23
When then picked them up, you should have handed them a mop and a bucket first.

patjs
September 16th, 2014, 13:09

Jiggit
September 16th, 2014, 13:15
Boo, no private messages, no deleting posts, we want drama!

SomePeopleJustSaySnow
September 16th, 2014, 13:17

Fantastic sentiments. Very moving.

Jiggit
September 16th, 2014, 13:20
I saw it!

patjs
September 16th, 2014, 13:22
Sorry I thought better of it as I'm going to be going back there actually next month and would rather not create any drama.

patjs
September 16th, 2014, 13:23
I know you'd all love the drama though.

SomePeopleJustSaySnow
September 16th, 2014, 13:26
I saw it!

What was it? A picture of an anus? His anus?

itsabird
September 16th, 2014, 13:47
Along with the guy who didn't pay his pred $300, I still haven't paid my pred the $500 he wanted, nor do I plan to. Honestly, the guy left me a bunch of junk. He even claimed to have bought a new AC unit.... 4 years ago as it turns out... I don't care if I got all that garbage from him, I'd be perfectly happy if someone came and pick up all his trash. Didn't even clean the stove before he left, nor the toaster or anything else. And he wanted $500!! *grumble mumble*

patjs
December 30th, 2014, 01:29
Guys, just like coheeshosho above who I now am almost 100% sure was my successor's successor, it's more likely you need to be mad at your BOE not your pred (if your BOE is the one contracting with landlord)

When you move into a dump that has 15 years of collected garbage and grime, and you are only going to be there a short time, there's only so much you're going to do.

Don't automatically assume your pred trashed the place.

Virgil
December 30th, 2014, 09:48
Guys, just like coheeshosho above who I now am almost 100% sure was my successor's successor, it's more likely you need to be mad at your BOE not your pred (if your BOE is the one contracting with landlord)

When you move into a dump that has 15 years of collected garbage and grime, and you are only going to be there a short time, there's only so much you're going to do.

Don't automatically assume your pred trashed the place.
I'm not sure I understand what you're saying.

So you move into a grimy filthy living hole, and you just leave it dirty for a year? Or worse, you leave it dirty when you move out since the guy before you did.

I don't care how old or crappy the apartment is, when you move in you'd hope that the person who lived in it before got rid of all the trash when the moved out (at least).

Every place I have lived in had a deposit that you did not get back if you left the place trashed. That's about 300 USD worth of easy cleaning. I've mostly lived in piss holes too.

Zolrak 22
December 30th, 2014, 10:15
Throwing stuff out usually costs money, so people tend to either give them away or just ignore them. Unused stuff usually rots or break down.

That's probably what he meant by garbage.

word
December 30th, 2014, 13:43
My successor arrived to a spotlessly cleaned house, a bunch of new stuff, and a very few used but quite functional appliances and clean furniture items.

Given that I arrived to a garbage dump full of broken appliances, expired and rotting food, and cheap plastic shelving, I think I did all right for him.

Throwing things away doesn't cost that much--not nearly as much as people claim. It sucks if your pred was a disgusting slob but I don't personally buy the "wasn't me" excuse. Your successor should arrive to a clean, functionally livable environment free of garbage.

Virgil
December 30th, 2014, 13:48
I just received info on the stuff my pred wants to sell me. ( minutes after I posted in this thread )

VERY similar to OP.
Ac/heater $150
Washer $50
Microwave oven $40
Assorted other crap totaling $400 including above stuff.

They sent this info through the CO, so I'm guessing they aren't trying to rip me off by selling a washer/microwave/ac that isn't theirs. Still not sure if I want any of it. I'm pretty nit picky when it comes to this stuff.

patjs
December 30th, 2014, 14:43
I'm not sure I understand what you're saying.

So you move into a grimy filthy living hole, and you just leave it dirty for a year? Or worse, you leave it dirty when you move out since the guy before you did.

I don't care how old or crappy the apartment is, when you move in you'd hope that the person who lived in it before got rid of all the trash when the moved out (at least).

Every place I have lived in had a deposit that you did not get back if you left the place trashed. That's about 300 USD worth of easy cleaning. I've mostly lived in piss holes too.

OK here is what I mean.

I arrived to a dump. Closets nearly overflowing with old appliances, moldy books, and general crap accumulated over maybe 15-20 years. The kitchen was covered in a film of oil and grime. Yellowed and stained walls. Horrific shit. In general it was obvious no one had really cleaned the place well in years and years.

I was pretty pissed off. I wanted to move. Intsead of losing my shit like a child though, I actually asked the BOE what the deal was. Turns out basically the ALT has been using that apartment since the JET program started. Almost everyone stayed just one year. Most were guys and most maybe did things like sweep and clean bathroom but it had never had a real cleaning. Technically just like at home apartments should have a proper cleaning between tenants in Japan. They admitted they probably had never done that in the fifteen to twenty years.

So, I did my best. I tossed out a lot of crap. I complained some more but gave up. I slowly cleaned it up, and eventually the BOE people changed and they realized the place was a shithole, they sent over a team of obasans from the kyuushoku center in town during summer break and they helped scrub down the kitchen. It ended up looking ok, certainly livable but the furniture is obviously old and no I didn't absolutely toss out every single item in the entire apartment.

My successor showed up and was cool, zero problem. (Like I had been, like my pred and his pred had been). Then HIS successor shows up to a place that was likely a sparkling castle compared to when I arrived, and he threw a tantrum. Without considering that a lot of that stuff in the apartment is old but belongs to the BOE, and the rest is simply everyday items t like silverware and household things that MOST SANE PEOPLE would like to have when moving to a new country. (Like, you really would rather we throw away clothes hangers, the vaccuum, plates? Just toss it all??)

It's understandable some people might not like the idea of using old silverware, sheets etc. That's cool. Then throw out what isn't the BOE's property. He lost his shit though and wanted to charge my successor for "the hours of labor" he had to do apparently.

That's what I mean. If a new JET is so naive to think they are going to show up to a completely spotless, empty apartment as if a property management company was in charge and professionally took care of the place then you are very likely in for a surprise. Some JET apartments and BOEs are like the situation above.

patjs
December 30th, 2014, 14:48
I just received info on the stuff my pred wants to sell me. ( minutes after I posted in this thread )

VERY similar to OP.
Ac/heater $150
Washer $50
Microwave oven $40
Assorted other crap totaling $400 including above stuff.

They sent this info through the CO, so I'm guessing they aren't trying to rip me off by selling a washer/microwave/ac that isn't theirs. Still not sure if I want any of it. I'm pretty nit picky when it comes to this stuff.

It's totally your right to say no. If you have any hesitation then just turn it down.

Virgil
December 30th, 2014, 14:57
OK here is what I mean.

I arrived to a dump. Closets nearly overflowing with old appliances, moldy books, and general crap accumulated over maybe 15-20 years. The kitchen was covered in a film of oil and grime. Yellowed and stained walls. Horrific shit. In general it was obvious no one had really cleaned the place well in years and years.

I was pretty pissed off. I wanted to move. Intsead of losing my shit like a child though, I actually asked the BOE what the deal was. Turns out basically the ALT has been using that apartment since the JET program started. Almost everyone stayed just one year. Most were guys and most maybe did things like sweep and clean bathroom but it had never had a real cleaning. Technically just like at home apartments should have a proper cleaning between tenants in Japan. They admitted they probably had never done that in the fifteen to twenty years.

So, I did my best. I tossed out a lot of crap. I complained some more but gave up. I slowly cleaned it up, and eventually the BOE people changed and they realized the place was a shithole, they sent over a team of obasans from the kyuushoku center in town during summer break and they helped scrub down the kitchen. It ended up looking ok, certainly livable but the furniture is obviously old and no I didn't absolutely toss out every single item in the entire apartment.

My successor showed up and was cool, zero problem. (Like I had been, like my pred and his pred had been). Then HIS successor shows up to a place that was likely a sparkling castle compared to when I arrived, and he threw a tantrum. Without considering that a lot of that stuff in the apartment is old but belongs to the BOE, and the rest is simply everyday items t like silverware and household things that MOST SANE PEOPLE would like to have when moving to a new country. (Like, you really would rather we throw away clothes hangers, the vaccuum, plates? Just toss it all??)

It's understandable some people might not like the idea of using old silverware, sheets etc. That's cool. Then throw out what isn't the BOE's property. He lost his shit though and wanted to charge my successor for "the hours of labor" he had to do apparently.

That's what I mean. If a new JET is so naive to think they are going to show up to a completely spotless, empty apartment as if a property management company was in charge and professionally took care of the place then you are very likely in for a surprise. Some JET apartments and BOEs are like the situation above.
Yeesh, sounds pretty icky. It's a shame that so many people did not have the drive to make for a decent living space. I've mostly lived in very poor areas in my life, and always do my best to make it as clean as possible.

Sounds like a combination of dirty people and the BoE's unwillingness to insure a decent living space. Hoping my placement is a bit cleaner.

It usually doesn't help too much to just complain about everything. Just do something to break the cycle.

patjs
December 31st, 2014, 00:06
Exactly- if you don't like it then you need to do something about it.

Flipping out on your predecessors who actually used a lot of their time and money to make the place nicer for you is not the solution.

Although expecting certain new JETs to act in a mature and civilized manner is kind of an excercise in futility...

TL;DR your pred is not 100% responsible for your apartment and it's upkeep.

itsabird
January 5th, 2015, 15:54
Eh. Mine kind of was. He was here for 6 years. With the exception of he kitchen though it wasn't that bad. Just a lot of useless stuff I wouldn't have kept. A large and ugly CRT still sits in my room. An old washer machine out back that's still there. I don't even plan on figuring out how to get rid of that stuff. I live on a small little island. And I think I would have to take it all the way to the docks to put on the ferry to bring to the main island to throw out... I can see why he left all of that junk.
I plan on cleaning up the place etc, but some of the stuff my pred left will remain. So, yeah, if a successor doesn't like all of the things, well it is fair to not assume that it was all your pred's fault. I mean, I've even cleaned that ridiculously disgusting stove inside the house that was covered with grease and was a sticky mess. Hell, it was probably the cause of the 40 or so roaches I killed within the first few months of living here.... Come to think of it. I take back saying it wasn't that bad. The condition of the kitchen was just unacceptable.

TLDR: Your pred is not 100% responsible for your apartment and it's upkeep, but I'm sure they're at fault for some of it.

Zolrak 22
January 5th, 2015, 16:14
Hell, it was probably the cause of the 40 or so roaches I killed within the first few months of living here.... Come to think of it.

I'm hoping you didn't find them all at once.

Otherwise I can imagine myself going crazy while throwing poison bombs around the house.

itsabird
January 5th, 2015, 16:18
No. It was a steady 1-2 almost every day. And it varied from baby American roaches (meaning that they had laid eggs somewhere when my pred had left and I had come in, or he was living with them while he was there), and the pesky German cockroaches which were everywhere outside. I was afraid to open doors because they would fly in. Luckily the cold weather has also warranted their demise as well! Island life....

I still remember leaving the Parlor restaurant and somone having a giant ass American cockroach on him, he flicked it off, and I didn't see where it went... So I looked around for a bit, and lo and behold, it was on my pant leg.

Zolrak 22
January 5th, 2015, 16:26
See, now you are making me reconsider my opinion of Saitama.

I mean, crime is one thing, I can deal with that.

Finding cockroaches in my food? Unacceptable.

itsabird
January 5th, 2015, 16:49
I'm pretty sure you'll be fine as long as you clean your place in Saitama. It's built up. Here it's all farm land, so there's inevitably a lot of bugs.

mothy
January 5th, 2015, 21:59
Teachers at one school I worked at in Saitama would sometimes find cockroaches in their purses when they got home because they'd crawled in there while at work.

Zolrak 22
January 5th, 2015, 22:29
You just can't let Saitama have one good thing besides yourself, can you?

PuddingHead
January 6th, 2015, 02:06
I can't stand roaches.

When I was little I was playing with one of those noodle pool toys. We would use them like water guns and just blow water at each other with them. I went to go inhale through mine and a roach went down my throat and then CRAWLED BACK OUT. Can you imagine a roach crawling up out of your throat? A part of me died that day.

Also, my sister recently had an allergy test done and she's apparently allergic to roaches. Didn't know that was a thing!

ambrosse
January 6th, 2015, 02:39
I can't stand roaches.

I went to go inhale through mine and a roach went down my throat and then CRAWLED BACK OUT.

Dear God....

Zolrak 22
January 6th, 2015, 07:50
I can't stand roaches.

A part of me died that day.

And now I know why I instantly liked you.

A common enemy.

webstaa
January 6th, 2015, 08:28
Shit. And here I thought having 23 different types of heaters that various predecessors bought was bad. At least the BoE went over everything but the microwave with a toothbrush...

PuddingHead
January 6th, 2015, 21:44
And now I know why I instantly liked you.

A common enemy.

Rise, my brother! Together we shall vanquish the beasts that tarnish the splendor of our world!

But I guess that would be kinda difficult. Nasty, indestructible buggers.

Zolrak 22
January 6th, 2015, 22:39
Aye, they've been a thorn in Earth's side for far too long.

sharpinthefang
January 6th, 2015, 23:39
Could say the same about us really...

Zolrak 22
January 6th, 2015, 23:49
I was being dramatic, but that matter is subjective.

If you mean the ecosystem, then we are definitely causing harm to the other living beings with our actions.

As far as the actual world is concerned, it'll still be around no matter how much we "hurt" it.

Heck it'll most likely outlive our race just as it has with other before it.

Only thing we'd be doing is hurting our chance of survival, as it will no longer be able to sustain life as we know it.

The only way we'd be able to actually put a dent on the world is if we created a weapon capable of shattering the planet into pieces.

itsabird
January 7th, 2015, 08:59
It was meant as JETs are a thorn to Japanese society...
Joking

Maybe.

Zolrak 22
January 7th, 2015, 09:01
We are their salvation!

*holds laughter *

SomePeopleJustSaySnow
January 10th, 2015, 17:14
To give things a slightly different spin and distract from the talk of old CRTs and roaches, my pred was an absolute gem who left me a load of useful stuff, very little I couldn't use, a guide to the town and how everything worked, was very upfront about the condition my inherited belongings would be in and asked for a very small amount of money that he was happy to accept in two halves over paypal, one when I decided what I'd keep and the other after I'd seen everything left for me and decided whether it was worth it.

Some preds are just great people.

greyjoy
January 10th, 2015, 19:17
Eh. Mine kind of was. He was here for 6 years. With the exception of he kitchen though it wasn't that bad. Just a lot of useless stuff I wouldn't have kept. A large and ugly CRT still sits in my room. An old washer machine out back that's still there. I don't even plan on figuring out how to get rid of that stuff. I live on a small little island. And I think I would have to take it all the way to the docks to put on the ferry to bring to the main island to throw out... I can see why he left all of that junk.
I plan on cleaning up the place etc, but some of the stuff my pred left will remain. So, yeah, if a successor doesn't like all of the things, well it is fair to not assume that it was all your pred's fault. I mean, I've even cleaned that ridiculously disgusting stove inside the house that was covered with grease and was a sticky mess. Hell, it was probably the cause of the 40 or so roaches I killed within the first few months of living here.... Come to think of it. I take back saying it wasn't that bad. The condition of the kitchen was just unacceptable.

TLDR: Your pred is not 100% responsible for your apartment and it's upkeep, but I'm sure they're at fault for some of it.

Itsabird is in a fairly bad spot, because when his successor inevitably comes here to complain about the state of his tiny island paradise, I'm going to make sure they know that the apartment was clean as a whistle when he got there, but out of spite he thoroughly trashed the place and bought an old broke washing machine to put on the front lawn.

sharpinthefang
January 10th, 2015, 20:20
I had a pred, but he went home early due to a brain tumour. I had no stuff in my apartment however as we all start with a fresh tenancy.

Ebi
January 10th, 2015, 22:30
My pred was probably the only person in my apartment before me, but he still managed to do a decent amount of damage. He left a bunch of broken things covered in duct tape and there was some damage on the doors and walls where he apparently adhered things to them with duct tape and ripped them off. The worst offense was a computer chair covered in suspicious stains. The back had broken off somehow and he decided to duct tape it back on. I guess using duct tape was the only form of housekeeping he knew how to do since the appliances were coated black from burnt cooking and there was a film of grime on everything else left in the kitchen. The shower had a ton of mold in it and I suspect nothing else was cleaned with any regularity. It also smelled awful since he left rotting food in the sink trap. He was kind enough to leave a note saying "Sorry for the smell. The sink always smells bad in the summer." So I suspect he simply wasn't aware that you're supposed to block food from falling into the sink drain rather than let it fester and clean it out afterward.

But overall it wasn't that bad since he left me a few useable things and didn't try to charge me for them. After I cleaned the place up it was a pretty nice place to live. I made sure I left it pristine for my successor and I didn't try to charge him for anything either. Hopefully he follows my example.

Wasabi
January 14th, 2015, 09:15
I found a blog from one of my great grandpreds (they were here for one year it seems in 08-09), and I found it interesting that not much had changed in that time. The rice cooker I have now was bought new for her and pretty much all of my dishes and other major furniture existed then, too. She has a second couch in the photos I've seen, but that and the CRT TV are both probably in a dump somewhere now. The tatami in my bedroom hasn't been changed since before her time here. I also found it funny that she mentions receiving a new futon set and towel upon first arriving at the apartment as I received the exact same.

My pred was known to be pretty messy, so I take pity on whoever ended up cleaning out the place in between his departure and my arrival. The apartment needed some work (mostly the bathroom and the sink which hadn't been properly cleaned out probably ever by him), but was decent besides that. When I leave, my pred will have a sweet double bed so they won't have to sleep on that shitty futon set the BOE gives him/her.

johnny
January 14th, 2015, 21:00
I have five or six GIH's saved up in my apartment. I have added mine to the collection so that I am part of the proud history of the ALT's in my city.