PDA

View Full Version : Driving test is complete and utter bullshit

smapattack
June 30th, 2014, 15:46
I've read the thread on how to beat the driving test for the first time. I've taken a three hour course with three different instructors telling me I'm doing everything well. I've watched youtube videos and read various sites. I have the course memorized.

However, I've failed the test today for the second time because I didn't "look right enough" and my "right turns weren't sharp enough".
Bullshit.

After three hours of driving school were the instructors told me I'm doing everything fine and should be able to pass I'm starting to get pissed. I hate taking my nenkyuu off for such a goddamn waste of a day and a goddamn waste of money.

I don't know how I can pass this test because it seems like this same guy is just pulling shit out of his ass so I have to come back and keep paying money for this shit.

Antonath
June 30th, 2014, 15:50
Sounds like you might have a racist examiner. Is there another center you can test at, or find out what days that examiner isn't working?

therealwindycity
June 30th, 2014, 15:52
I got failed twice for similarly ridiculous reasons - it sucked. I got points off for looking in the direction I was turning as I turned rather than straight ahead. Did you have the same guy both times? I think some of them just feel that they need to "see you improve" (that is to say, willing to kiss their ass and do anything they say) before they'll pass you.

smapattack
June 30th, 2014, 16:11
Sounds like you might have a racist examiner. Is there another center you can test at, or find out what days that examiner isn't working?

I'll check. I really am getting to hate the guy who's testing me. I've had him both times.
I have been completely polite, using keigo, but I'm starting to get to the point where I will want to punch this guy in the throat when I see him.

I haven't seen him pass anyone. I've also been the only white girl who's come in as other people have been from the Philippines, India, Sri Lanka, Indonesia, China etc... This guy seems to want to say some English phrases to me. I don't know if I should humor him to be polite, or if I do, he thinks he will get free English lessons every time I come in. He's been friendly to me and had a conversation with me in Japanese before, so I don't know. I really don't.

I'm in Hiroshima, and this may be the only place to get a license. I hate it so much.

uthinkimlost?
June 30th, 2014, 16:15
I'll check. I really am getting to hate the guy who's testing me. I've had him both times.
I have been completely polite, using keigo, but I'm starting to get to the point where I will want to punch this guy in the throat when I see him.

I haven't seen him pass anyone. I've also been the only white girl who's come in as other people have been from the Philippines, India, Sri Lanka, Indonesia, China etc... This guy seems to want to say some English phrases to me. I don't know if I should humor him to be polite, or if I do, he thinks he will get free English lessons every time I come in. He's been friendly to me and had a conversation with me in Japanese before, so I don't know. I really don't.

I'm in Hiroshima, and this may be the only place to get a license. I hate it so much.

During my testing I met a chinese girl who had failed 7+ times.

smapattack
June 30th, 2014, 16:18
I feel like I'm on my way to taking all of my nenkyuu off for this test.
I'm not only mad at the Menkyo Center, I'm also mad at how the JET Program operates this in having to take nenkyuu off. I could really get to where I need without a car. I only need a car primarily for work. I shouldn't have to take nenkyuu off for this. Can I transfer to someplace where I don't need a car? I hate this test. I hate the testers.

uthinkimlost?
June 30th, 2014, 16:41
A job in the 'States that you needed a car to do would expect you to take care of licensing on your own time, too.

smapattack
June 30th, 2014, 16:58
A job in the 'States that you needed a car to do would expect you to take care of licensing on your own time, too.

Yeah, well, the DMV in the States is actually open on the weekends. :|
And even if you had to go during a weekday, companies in the States would let you take off an hour or two (that's about all you would really need) and then come back to work.
The funny thing is, I'm going to have all my nenkyuu used up for this damn test, and I'll just be sitting around the office all of August. What a wonderful system.

Page
June 30th, 2014, 17:52
The system isn't against you, it's against everybody! Most of us with licenses were failed for the stupid sht, too. I think I failed 3 times, can't even remember.

smapattack
June 30th, 2014, 17:57
So, do I just have to keep taking it until I get lucky?
I feel like me taking nenkyuu is really unnecessary. I don't know what I'll do if I run out of nenkyuu. It adds unneeded pressure to an already ABYSMAL system.

If I do run through all of my nenkyuu I feel like telling the BOE to just send me home. I don't want to deal with all of this shit while losing all my vacation. Fix your fucking shit, Japan. My god.

therealwindycity
June 30th, 2014, 18:12
Is it possible to just take a few hours at a time? Every time I took the test I was done by noon. It still sucks, but at least you won't use nearly as much nenkyu.

word
June 30th, 2014, 18:13
You've failed twice? That's not really that bad. It took MG three times. Took me three times to get my MT license. There was a JET who had to test six times (she used to post here on occasion, actually). There was a Brazilian girl testing with MG who had failed something like nine times (she failed the day that MG passed, too, unfortunately). It's a sh*tty system, but it is what it is. Losing two or three (or even five or six) days of nenkyuu isn't the end of the world; it sucks, but it's just part of life here.

smapattack
June 30th, 2014, 18:17
I could ask. I was done by noon today, but it would also take me about an hour to drive back making me get to work at about 1 (my work day ends at 4:15)...

smapattack
June 30th, 2014, 18:21
You've failed twice? That's not really that bad. It took MG three times. Took me three times to get my MT license. There was a JET who had to test six times (she used to post here on occasion, actually). There was a Brazilian girl testing with MG who had failed something like nine times (she failed the day that MG passed, too, unfortunately). It's a sh*tty system, but it is what it is. Losing two or three (or even five or six) days of nenkyuu isn't the end of the world; it sucks, but it's just part of life here.

My BOE generously gave me the bare minimum of 12 days for nenkyuu. I'm just worried what will happen if I fail more.

coop52
June 30th, 2014, 19:20
You could try wearing a shortish skirt and crying. I'm also heard of people who had their BOEs call the testing center. Surprise! They passed their next time without doing anything different.

Ini
June 30th, 2014, 19:27
sounds like someone has the shoxxx....

namara.rora
June 30th, 2014, 20:15
Oh my god, reading this is making me dread taking my test soon. ): The guy at the DMV here who seems to be in charge of foreign licensing is a spazzy man who talks a million miles a minute, so I'm going to be very nervous if he's the one who is administering my test. It seems to me that I'm the only person doing this foreign licensing switch-aroo in the area right now... I wonder if that will work for or against me...

Good luck to you, smapattack! I hope you pass the next time!! I can only imagine how frustrating it is to keep failing and getting your nenkyuu robbed. <3

smapattack
June 30th, 2014, 20:38
You might get lucky and have someone who passes you. I think a lot of it is actually luck in the instructor.

uthinkimlost?
June 30th, 2014, 20:58
Why is everyone waiting for the zero hour?

Ebi
June 30th, 2014, 21:27
During my testing I met a chinese girl who had failed 7+ times.
Same here, only the girl was on her eighth try and failed again when I finally passed. But to be fair to the examiner, it sounded like she had trouble keeping the car driving straight even when she wasn't supposed to turn. I think it would have made more sense for her to go back to driving school than keep trying to pass the test.

It took me three tries to pass. I made some minor mistakes the first two times since I was nervous but even when I did it perfectly the guy still criticized me for "checking my blind spots too often". At least he couldn't fail me for that.

word
June 30th, 2014, 22:27
Oh, they won't pass you without a harsh critique of everything you did wrong. That's pretty much standard. Every pass is a reluctant pass.

therealwindycity
June 30th, 2014, 22:33
God, I really want to pull up next to the guy who administered my test somewhere so I can roll down the window and be like "that's not how you told me to do it!"

smapattack
July 1st, 2014, 07:55
Why is everyone waiting for the zero hour?

My year isn't up until October...

word
July 1st, 2014, 08:08
Ummm... Surely there are some school holidays/daikyuu sometime during the next three months? Do you really need to be using nenkyuu?

namara.rora
July 1st, 2014, 08:12

I thought I read somewhere you can't start the process until 2 months before your international permit expires, but now I can't find it. My supervisor hasn't helped me with the process (actually, she sent me an e-mail being like "can you just go do it yourself?" then never replied to my concerns), so it's been a lot of like go to the DMV, get the paperwork, then go back to the DMV. Currently I'm waiting for the guy to call me back to schedule the knowledge and road tests. It's been about two weeks since I passed in all of my paperwork.

Teishou
July 1st, 2014, 08:16
My BoE didn't make me take nenkyuu...it was noted as being a necessity to continue working, so it was basically a business trip. Why do all you people have shitty DMVs?

webstaa
July 1st, 2014, 08:19
I thought I read somewhere you can't start the process until 2 months before your international permit expires, but now I can't find it. My supervisor hasn't helped me with the process (actually, she sent me an e-mail being like "can you just go do it yourself?" then never replied to my concerns), so it's been a lot of like go to the DMV, get the paperwork, then go back to the DMV. Currently I'm waiting for the guy to call me back to schedule the knowledge and road tests. It's been about two weeks at this point.

That's complete and utter bullshit. Get your translation done as soon as you arrive and as soon as you're comfortable go and start the test. In my prefecture, you need to go to turn in all the paperwork and wait to have them check it. Then you schedule a test date, where you take the paper, eye, and practical test. The wait is usually 1 week it winter and up to 3-4 weeks in summer (like right now.) Don't wait, but do ask your predecessor and your fellow prefecture JETs about the test. Like the US, the test subtly varies by prefecture and even test center (there might be a center you can take the test at that is easier than the main one.)

Ini
July 1st, 2014, 09:00

then why are you taking time off in the middle of term?? Do it in august. You stand a much better chance of your school turning a blind eye if its the summer holidays. turn up in the morning, spend an hour chatting to the VP about koshien then slip out for a few hours to do the test.

word
July 1st, 2014, 09:03
I usually recommend that people drive on their IDP for a while. Accidents/tickets/point deductions/whatever on your IDP don't seem to transfer to your J-license, when you get it (I could be wrong about this, but I don't think I am). So it can be a good idea to use this "trial period" to your advantage, especially if you're a sh*tty driver.

That said, waiting until the last minute is a bad idea, if for no other reason than being able to save nenkyuu by going on school holidays/daikyuu days.

then why are you taking time off in the middle of term?? Do it in august. You stand a much better chance of your school turning a blind eye if its the summer holidays. turn up in the morning, spend an hour chatting to the VP about koshien then slip out for a few hours to do the test.word

tealparadise
July 1st, 2014, 09:07
sounds like someone has the shoxxx....

Is this a reference to something? I've... er... heard it before.

Ini
July 1st, 2014, 09:10
was an old BD meme 10 years ago. probably turned up in other places.

tealparadise
July 1st, 2014, 09:11
Also I passed on my first try, along with nearly everyone in my area. Come out to the inaka and take it.

One tip is to mumble everything you're doing under your breath. That way they know you've memorized what you're supposed to do at each spot. Form over function. Show that you put the work in. Your actual driving ability does not matter here. Ok that's not true, for example the 2 parts of a lane thing is something I would NEVER have known without taking the lessons and test. I just thought people were being dicks swerving around the road.

word
July 1st, 2014, 09:42
Trivial's guide (http://www.ithinkimlost.com/japan-jet-school-related/11107-how-kick-japanese-driver-s-license-test-face-your-first-try.html) is top-notch. I also passed my first time and I give him all the credit for it; I followed his instructions down to the letter and it worked well.

coop52
July 1st, 2014, 09:52
I also passed my first time, mostly thanks to Trivial's thread. Mentioning I went to driving school for a couple of hours and verbalizing everything I was doing helped.

webstaa
July 1st, 2014, 12:09
I usually recommend that people drive on their IDP for a while. Accidents/tickets/point deductions/whatever on your IDP don't seem to transfer to your J-license, when you get it (I could be wrong about this, but I don't think I am). So it can be a good idea to use this "trial period" to your advantage, especially if you're a sh*tty driver.

Be careful. If you get pulled over and get a ticket, it goes on the record of the car, not the IDP/foreign license. When the prefecture checks to see if you have any marks against your car registration, it will stop you from transferring a your license if you are the registered owner of the car. You have to take a traffic safety course and then the full Japanese written and practical test. At least, these are the rules/what the dude threatens you with when you go in to get a Japanese license and show him an IDP. He might be a hardass and/or lying, but I wouldn't take the chance.

At least if you get pulled over for a brake light out they usually don't right you anything and ask you nicely to get it fixed ASAP.

BeckyJones
July 1st, 2014, 12:17
failing twice isn't the exception, it is the norm. You will fail again, and probably a few more times until they deem you worthy of the license. I'd say the average is 4-8 times taking the test. Welcome to Japan. EVERYONE who takes the test has to do this bullshit. Here is some advice I got a long time ago from a friend. SAY everything you are doing loudly in Japanese, so they can't say you didn't do something.
今左に曲がります。はい、三秒待っています。一、二,三。!
shit like that. Everyone I've told this advice to passed in under 4 times.

smapattack
July 1st, 2014, 15:13
then why are you taking time off in the middle of term?? Do it in august. You stand a much better chance of your school turning a blind eye if its the summer holidays. turn up in the morning, spend an hour chatting to the VP about koshien then slip out for a few hours to do the test.

I have to go into the BoE even on school holidays. On national holidays, I have the day off, but the DMV is off.
There is a test at around noon that I could slip off to during lunch but it would definitely take half the day and the BOE people would definitely notice if I wasn`t there for half a day without saying anything.

Is it normal that other Jets can just slip off unnoticed??

Ini
July 1st, 2014, 15:16
in that case replace VP with kacho and my advise stands. people are more likely to turn a blind eye to writing stuff in the nenkyu book if all you are doing is sitting around drinking iced coffee. if you are missing classes then they have no option than to class it as nenkyu.

Ini
July 1st, 2014, 15:19
also if someone fancies getting out the office speak to them and say you need their help with the language barrier and they will probably come with you. When I was a JET my BOE supervisor would leap at any opportunity to get out the office.

Jiggit
July 1st, 2014, 15:22
I have to go into the BoE even on school holidays. On national holidays, I have the day off, but the DMV is off.
There is a test at around noon that I could slip off to during lunch but it would definitely take half the day and the BOE people would definitely notice if I wasn`t there for half a day without saying anything.

Just leave anyway and tell them to go fuck themselves. They won't fire you for it and there's nothing else they can do.

uthinkimlost?
July 1st, 2014, 15:24
Just leave anyway and tell them to go fuck themselves. They won't fire you for it and there's nothing else they can do.

He has a point. The only way it is likely to hurt you at all is if you want to stay for a 4th year.

So, if you can take the heat, fu-ck on off and watch the dance.

smapattack
July 1st, 2014, 15:28
This intrigues me...

Jiggit
July 1st, 2014, 15:30
Seriously, there are a bunch of ALTs who are complete assholes and basically take time off for no reason whenever they feel like it, and their schools/BoEs do absolutely nothing about it and in most cases even rehire these losers. On the flipside there are a bunch of ALTs who are too nice for their own good that get screwed over by exploitative, racist BoEs.

Obviously don't be one of the asshole ALTs... but if your school is being a dick to you then I think showing them how stupid they are for trying to push you around is warranted. If a school tries to bully an ALT they should be shown how little power they can actually exercise over you.

smapattack
July 1st, 2014, 15:41
My BOE has (usually) been supportive of me. I would feel a bit bad about it.
However, at the same time, taking nenkyuu off for this for a driver`s license that I need much more for work than anything else is a bullshit move on JET/BOE`s part. Also, I seem to be on the lower end of all the other JETs when it comes to number of nenkyuu days. I started out with 12.

Antonath
July 1st, 2014, 15:49
My BOE has (usually) been supportive of me. I would feel a bit bad about it.
However, at the same time, taking nenkyuu off for this for a driver`s license that I need much more for work than anything else is a bullshit move on JET/BOE`s part. Also, I seem to be on the lower end of all the other JETs when it comes to number of nenkyuu days. I started out with 12.
They'd make any other teacher take nenkyuu as well, and some prefectural teachers have to commute a hell of a lot further than the average ALT.

word
July 1st, 2014, 15:51
That does seem kinda low, especially if they don't give you school holidays off (MG only gets 10, but they don't make her come in during summer or winter breaks). They probably had an ALT who abused it in the past or something.

They'd make any other teacher take nenkyuu as well, and some prefectural teachers have to commute a hell of a lot further than the average ALT.
This is also true.

Jiggit
July 1st, 2014, 15:52

Oh yeah I don't think OP is being treated badly by his BoE necessarily but he just saying he could tell them to go fuck themselves if he feels that strongly about it.

Bluesuntzu
July 1st, 2014, 15:54
I have two yen to throw in:

Yen 1: The summer thing is absolutely correct. I show up for a morning meeting some days and then just disappear the rest of the day. As long as you have no actual responsibilities that day, it should be OK. No one knows, no one cares.

Yen 2: I found lying was a good expedient when taking the drivers test. When they asked me how many hours of driving instruction I had, I told them 5 even though it had only be one. Also, its just important to project an air of confidence. Say YOSH really fucking loud every time you turn your head. Check mirrors like 30 times each. Do everything absolutely deliberately (even mistakes). I passed on the first try.

Ini
July 1st, 2014, 15:55
making an alt take nenkyu in the middle of term to get a driving license is perfectly normal and reasonable.

therealwindycity
July 1st, 2014, 15:58
also if someone fancies getting out the office speak to them and say you need their help with the language barrier and they will probably come with you. When I was a JET my BOE supervisor would leap at any opportunity to get out the office.

This. Plus it adds an air of credibility that might make them more likely to pass you.

azguitarist
July 1st, 2014, 16:00
My third attempt at the test will be on Thursday, but my BoE let's me take special leave even though I'm missing classes, because I need to drive to get to school.

uthinkimlost?
July 1st, 2014, 16:02
Yen 2: I found lying was a good expedient when taking the drivers test. When they asked me how many hours of driving instruction I had, I told them 5 even though it had only be one. Also, its just important to project an air of confidence. Say YOSH really fucking loud every time you turn your head. Check mirrors like 30 times each. Do everything absolutely deliberately (even mistakes). I passed on the first try.

This will backfire if the driving school works has any communication at all with the licensing center.

Bluesuntzu
July 1st, 2014, 16:25
Yeah, if you want to live your life worrying about every little possibility that could ever happen. You think they just spend all day calling driving schools to confirm minute details? In my case, they didn't. I have a feeling they never do.

Furthermore, if you get called out on it, say it was a miscommunication due to the language barrier.

smapattack
July 2nd, 2014, 22:13
Update:

So, I went today for the third time, had a new instructor finally, and did the course probably almost exactly the same as I did last time. At the end, guy gets out and without skipping a beat asks me where I went to driving school at, and how many hours. I hadn't shown him any of my driving school papers or anything, so I optimistically took it as a good sign that I passed.
Which I did!

So, the lesson here is sometimes, you just get a bastard instructor who won't pass you.

word
July 2nd, 2014, 22:37
Just out of curiosity, how man hours did you tell him you'd done at driving school?

Gizmotech
July 3rd, 2014, 00:07
HAHAHA SUCKERS. Coming from a backwater country like the US w/o a license exchange. LOLS.

Bi-Kun
July 3rd, 2014, 02:12
HAHAHA SUCKERS. Coming from a backwater country like the US w/o a license exchange. LOLS.

It's because driving tests and standards are regulated at the state level and not the national level. Japan isn't willing to accept all these various standards and offer all US drivers license holders an exchange, understandably so.

smapattack
July 3rd, 2014, 05:49
Just out of curiosity, how man hours did you tell him you'd done at driving school?

I just truthfully told him three hours.

word
July 3rd, 2014, 08:45
Ugh; why on earth are you posting on ITIL at 5:49 in the morning?

matt360
July 3rd, 2014, 08:52
Hey smap, which driving center was it? Are you in downtown Hiroshima, or did you go to Itsukaichi? Or somewhere else? I'm gonna have to get my license sooner or later.

Ini
July 3rd, 2014, 09:18

what time do you wake up? I thought you were living the rural dream. haven't you got chickens to feed at that time?

word
July 3rd, 2014, 09:22
Hell no; those noisy buttf*ckers can just wait until seven-thirty, when I stumble out there, throw some feed at 'em, and steal their eggs.

namara.rora
July 3rd, 2014, 09:46
Update:

So, I went today for the third time, had a new instructor finally, and did the course probably almost exactly the same as I did last time. At the end, guy gets out and without skipping a beat asks me where I went to driving school at, and how many hours. I hadn't shown him any of my driving school papers or anything, so I optimistically took it as a good sign that I passed.
Which I did!

So, the lesson here is sometimes, you just get a bastard instructor who won't pass you.

Congratulations!! I'm glad it's over for you.

smapattack
July 3rd, 2014, 10:28

I've been on some medication for asthma which makes me wake up earlier than I want to. 😑

smapattack
July 3rd, 2014, 11:28
I went to the one in Itsukaichi. That may be the only one if I'm not mistaken. If you go, try and get the guy in the afternoon because I never saw the guy in the morning pass anyone. Maybe he hasn't had his smoke and green tea break...

kurisu
July 3rd, 2014, 16:02
Pretty ironic how all of the people here have such strict standards on getting the license (though Japanese don't seem to have as much of a problem) when a vast majority drive around like drunken clowns hell bent on starting a destruction derby at any random point.

Seriously, I have not seen such shitty driving anywhere else in the world, and I grew up in Florida, and have spent time in Cali and New York.

word
July 3rd, 2014, 16:07
Pretty ironic how all of the people here have such strict standards on getting the license (though Japanese don't seem to have as much of a problem) when a vast majority drive around like drunken clowns hell bent on starting a destruction derby at any random point.

Seriously, I have not seen such shitty driving anywhere else in the world, and I grew up in Florida, and have spent time in Cali and New York.
Me either.

From what I've heard, the difficulty of getting a J-license is a relatively new phenomenon. The older J-folks I've talked to said that when they did it, the test was a joke and little more than a formality, and you were given a MT license even if you didn't test in a MT vehicle.

therealwindycity
July 3rd, 2014, 17:34

Isn't it more of the same "if you went to driving school it must mean you can drive" type thing?

mothy
July 3rd, 2014, 18:07
Hell no; those noisy buttf*ckers can just wait until seven-thirty, when I stumble out there, throw some feed at 'em, and steal their eggs.
More like buttfuckees. Am I right?

Antonath
July 3rd, 2014, 18:21
Like any other test, the Japanese clearly forget everything afterwards.

kurisu
July 4th, 2014, 11:17

word
July 4th, 2014, 13:21
More like buttfuckees. Am I right?
Have you ever seen a chicken's butt? I have no idea how pathetic and sad a dude would have to be to wanna stick his d*ck in one of those things.

uthinkimlost?
July 4th, 2014, 13:29
Gaiz chickens don't have butts.

word
July 4th, 2014, 13:33
Sorry I should have said butthole.

uthinkimlost?
July 4th, 2014, 13:41
Gaiz chickens don't have buttholes.

They've got a gross multipurpose opening that does everything disgusting.

word
July 4th, 2014, 14:28
Hmm Yeh but for lack of a better term I'm just gonna go with butthole.

therealwindycity
July 4th, 2014, 14:46
a gross multipurpose opening that does everything disgusting.

<insert landwhale joke here>

word
July 4th, 2014, 15:00
<insert landwhale joke here>

BeckyJones
July 4th, 2014, 15:41

It probably has to do with the fact that what is tested isn't proper driving. Imagine, if people drove like that? Turning on your turn signal to merge closer to the line but staying in your own lane... absolute bullshit, and dangerous.