PDA

View Full Version : Pension Refund And Returning To Japan

BJJ
July 22nd, 2014, 06:36
Hey guys it is looking like I will be headed back to Japan in a few months and recently got my pension refund. Two issues that I hope someone can help me with. First, since the person I assigned as my tax representative doesn't want to be bothered, might it be possible for me to get it myself (the 20%) when I return while on a new visa? Anyone do this or know of it?

And after JET but before returning home I moved to a different prefecture, where I didn't pay pension, and lived there for about one year. Does this mean I will have to go to the last city's tax/pension office to get the 20% or do I still have to go to the original place where I was paying the pension? The things I've read seem to indicate the last city I lived in is where I should go even though I did not pay pension there but just want to make sure.

Page
July 22nd, 2014, 09:06
I can't speak as to where you should do it (rationally speaking since it's a national pension program you should be able to do it anywhere but I'd stop in at your new city's tax office to check before you trouble yourself) but as far as doing it yourself: It depends on if they've already done the paperwork for the money or not. As long as they haven't you should be able to go to the tax office and do it all yourself designating your own JP bank account. I think the money came in around October for me so as long as you'll still be in the country it shouldn't be a problem.

BJJ
July 22nd, 2014, 12:34
I can't speak as to where you should do it (rationally speaking since it's a national pension program you should be able to do it anywhere but I'd stop in at your new city's tax office to check before you trouble yourself) but as far as doing it yourself: It depends on if they've already done the paperwork for the money or not. As long as they haven't you should be able to go to the tax office and do it all yourself designating your own JP bank account. I think the money came in around October for me so as long as you'll still be in the country it shouldn't be a problem.

Yeah, that's what I'm probably going to do. I will try to do it myself when I return in a couple of months.

Page
July 22nd, 2014, 12:57
Oh, I assumed you were going to do it sooner, it takes about 2 months to process and get your money (or it did when I did an old ITILer's), FYI!