PDA

View Full Version : AJET Connect: TO - Worth it's weight in...?

Bi-Kun
July 24th, 2014, 13:52
Seasoned veterans, it seems an issue of AJET's Connect magazine is out with advice for new JETs coming to Japan in the next few weeks. What are your thoughts and reactions to the publication? Anything that stood out for you or that you agree or disagree with in particular?

Tokyo Orientation 2014 issue now online! | AJET (http://ajet.net/2014/07/22/tokyo-orientation-2014-issue-now-online/)

TLDR: You've got a lump of cow dung in your hand, do you throw it or drop it in amazement?

Gizmotech
July 24th, 2014, 16:13
It's certainly not the worst thing they have put out. Though holy fuck there is a lot of AJET wanking in it. You'd think they'd helped cure cancer with the way they are bragging about things.

coop52
July 24th, 2014, 19:52
I only glanced at it and could tell it really needs a better editing job. Nice idea to put the joke do-don'ts right before the real ones. Also, good job on having your official newsletter tell newbs to skip lectures. And what's the proper etiquette for an "enaki"? I think I've seen that English poster somewhere before, too, so I hope they didn't just take it from someone's forum post.

Ananasboat
July 25th, 2014, 03:30
Wait, so can people explain to me why people seem to dislike ajet so much? Sounds like an interesting story.

spman2099
July 25th, 2014, 10:15
I know people love to shit on AJET, but it seemed relatively well put together. Some of the information was somewhat interesting, even if almost all of it had already been covered by the pre-pre-orientations (there were a lot of orientation events in Toronto) I attended. I personally got a kick out of the SUPER passive aggressive "narcissist's guide to orientation". That being said, they REALLY do like to promote themselves at AJET... Also, at times the guide seemed to encourage the worst kind of behaviour. Still, overall, I would say it was an interesting enough read.

Zolrak 22
July 25th, 2014, 10:18
From what I remember, and I may be talking out of my arse, but it's the way they portray themselves. They want people to believe that they are necessary to the JET program. So you can imagine the kind of people that impression might attract.

If I remember correctly they were the ones who were basically told to sod off a year or two ago, right?

Bi-Kun
July 25th, 2014, 12:40
From what I remember, and I may be talking out of my arse, but it's the way they portray themselves. They want people to believe that they are necessary to the JET program. So you can imagine the kind of people that impression might attract.

If I remember correctly they were the ones who were basically told to sod off a year or two ago, right?

I'd agree with you right there. But, I think this publication was well put together and has some good info. A few mistakes and maybe some things that could have been edited neater, but I like it overall. Just wanted to give the monkey's of ITIL something to brighten their day. It's been a bit slow these days.

Zolrak 22
July 25th, 2014, 12:45
I'd agree with you right there. But, I think this publication was well put together and has some good info. A few mistakes and maybe some things that could have been edited neater, but I like it overall. Just wanted to give the monkey's of ITIL something to brighten their day. It's been a bit slow these days.
I'm referring to their image overall, not just this publication.

Antonath
July 25th, 2014, 14:37
It's entirely possible getting booted from TO and otherwise told "thanks but no thanks" has given them the kick up the ass they've needed for a few years.

jacklostinred
July 25th, 2014, 14:39
30mb download... Hell no. Maybe when I get home and am not tethering.