PDA

View Full Version : Currency Issues

soap
July 25th, 2014, 06:04
I am leaving for Japan next week and am current trying to figure out the best way get my USD into Yen. It seems like every option is shitty though.

JET claims that there is no time to exchange currency at the airport and that you need to bring a lot of money with you. I'm sure I can get by with less than they recommend bringing, but I obviously need to bring some money with me.

I called my bank earlier but they wanted to charge me by the dollar and the money would have added up quickly.

Last time I was in Japan I used 7-11 ATMs, but their fees were obnoxious and I could only withdraw 1man at a time for some reason. And I don't think there are any 7-11s near my placement anyway.

Is there any way to do this without feeling completely screwed over?

EDIT: I found another bank that is giving me a much better deal. I guess my normal bank just sucks. Sorry for the pointless thread.

SomePeopleJustSaySnow
July 25th, 2014, 07:36
Not so pointless - I have a question. How do you intend to survive on less money than they recommend, and how much less?

soap
July 25th, 2014, 07:52
Not so pointless - I have a question. How do you intend to survive on less money than they recommend, and how much less?

Guess I should have phrased that differently. I will probably end up bringing the recommended amount of money to be safe. But I feel like you really needed to, you could save a lot of money by not eating out, doing fun things, etc if you couldn't bring that much money with you for whatever reason. It would kind of suck though.

coop52
July 25th, 2014, 08:00
Post office ATMs take foreign cards. My bank (USAA) doesn't charge for foreign withdrawals so I'm not sure what the rate would be.

SomePeopleJustSaySnow
July 25th, 2014, 08:10
Guess I should have phrased that differently. I will probably end up bringing the recommended amount of money to be safe. But I feel like you really needed to, you could save a lot of money by not eating out, doing fun things, etc if you couldn't bring that much money with you for whatever reason. It would kind of suck though.
That sounds a lot better. I got by on about two thirds of the recommended amount, whilst being frugal - but I was lucky with my apartment coatings, so I wouldn't necessarily recommend it.

Anyway, sounds like you have things in hand - good luck.

mothy
July 25th, 2014, 10:02
Did the hotel stop exchanging money? When I went I exchanged all my cash at the hotel. Probably wasn't a great exchange rate, but was plenty convenient.

spman2099
July 25th, 2014, 10:04
I don't know if I just lucked out, but my local credit union didn't charge me anything. They gave me the same exchange as the FOREX was reporting, so they didn't conceal their fees in the exchange rate either. It is worth at least looking into your local credit union.

Gizmotech
July 25th, 2014, 12:41
If you're in a big enough city there should be a variety of banks willing to sell you yen, shop around.

Page
July 25th, 2014, 13:38
You might want to call and check how long it'll take for you to get the yen, depending on how rural you are it may take more time than you have to get the cash. Also if you're planning at all to withdraw cash while in Japan make sure you tell your bank that you'll be abroad so they don't freeze your accounts.

therealwindycity
July 25th, 2014, 18:11
The 1 man limit is most likely from your own bank, not from the 7-11 ATMs. Have them set a higher withdrawal limit.

greyjoy
July 26th, 2014, 10:30
I paid a $2.5 exchange fee, which I thought was surprising low, but I'd never actually exchanged currency before. I did it at a currency exchange place at a nearby mall. All the banks would have had to order it, and nobody knew what exchange rate they'd be using because bank tellers are pretty much untrained seals.

Bi-Kun
July 27th, 2014, 14:20
I paid a $2.5 exchange fee, which I thought was surprising low, but I'd never actually exchanged currency before. I did it at a currency exchange place at a nearby mall. All the banks would have had to order it, and nobody knew what exchange rate they'd be using because bank tellers are pretty much untrained seals.

I wouldn't put the blame on the tellers necessarily. I ordered money through my bank and the problem is that the only rate that matters is the one on the day your order is actually processed. They can tell you what it is now when you submit the order, but when their main currency division or whatever begins to look at your order they take the rate for that day. Though, bank tellers are kinda like apes.... :roll:

Bi-Kun
July 27th, 2014, 14:21
I am leaving for Japan next week and am current trying to figure out the best way get my USD into Yen. It seems like every option is shitty though.

JET claims that there is no time to exchange currency at the airport and that you need to bring a lot of money with you. I'm sure I can get by with less than they recommend bringing, but I obviously need to bring some money with me.

I called my bank earlier but they wanted to charge me by the dollar and the money would have added up quickly.

Last time I was in Japan I used 7-11 ATMs, but their fees were obnoxious and I could only withdraw 1man at a time for some reason. And I don't think there are any 7-11s near my placement anyway.

Is there any way to do this without feeling completely screwed over?

EDIT: I found another bank that is giving me a much better deal. I guess my normal bank just sucks. Sorry for the pointless thread.

That is something due to your bank. I was able to pull out like 5man in one shot no problem when I was there last.