PDA

View Full Version : Formal Appointment Speech

Zigtalk
August 1st, 2014, 11:55
Hello!

I've recently been informed that I will be given a formal appointment ceremony by the higher-ups in my Board of Education. As part of it, my supervisor has recommended I prepare a small speech about coming to Japan. I know some Japanese, but I want to be careful about my keigo, so I was wondering if anyone had any suggested "set phrases" I could use to fluff my introduction and to be polite to my superintendent.

Thanks!

Jiggit
August 1st, 2014, 12:04
You could always just write up what you want to say and ask your supe to keigo it up for you.

Honestly though all you really need to say is "I'm blabla. I'm from amerika. I'll be working as the ALT starting from now. Please regard me kindly"

coop52
August 1st, 2014, 12:51
If you can manage -masu/desu and yoroshiku onegaishimasu, they'll be super impressed. It's not a big deal.

Ini
August 1st, 2014, 13:50
just go for the standard:
name
where you are from
hobby
job
end on something positive

Jiggit
August 1st, 2014, 13:52
just go for the standard:
name
where you are from
hobby
job
end on something positive

I wouldn't say your hobby unless you're a girl.

Ini
August 1st, 2014, 14:09
sexist!!

Zigtalk
August 9th, 2014, 19:03
Thank you everyone for your tips. It went well! I just went with my standard 自己紹介 and it was more than enough. Thanks again!

pumarito
August 12th, 2014, 12:37
I wouldn't say your hobby unless you're a girl.

even if your hobby is spinning your bean to mothy???

Jiggit
August 12th, 2014, 13:15
even if your hobby is spinning your bean to mothy???

Did I get to you already? That was quick.

pumarito
August 12th, 2014, 13:18
when i said your i didn't mean your

Jiggit
August 12th, 2014, 13:21
Sure thing, sweetie.

mothy
August 13th, 2014, 23:04
This shit is easy. My name is mothy. Hajimashedpotatoesyourussiangooseshimasu.
Happily ever after.

coheeshosho
August 20th, 2014, 09:13
It really does not matter what you say at all. You are an ALT.

Jiggit
August 20th, 2014, 11:15
It really does not matter what you say at all. You are an ALT.

Why do my teachers keep asking me how they should teach the syllabus then? Are they just trying to depress me?

coheeshosho
August 20th, 2014, 13:13
I'm not saying the job isn't important, I'm saying that you are the lowest on the totem pole. The janitor is of higher importance. In fact, the janitor spoke before me at our convocation. Not saying that his job isn't important either. Just saying that it doesn't matter what comes out of our mouths at a public function.

I speak after the janitor and before the lady that works part time helping the disabled kid up the stairs. Put things in perspective please, "Formal appointment speech," haha.

mothy
August 20th, 2014, 18:42
Just because your school thinks you're shit doesn't mean anything about the ALT position.

coheeshosho
August 21st, 2014, 08:03
We are contracted employees. We are not on the same level as seisyain. That makes us different. How can you even argue that. We are here for a maximum of 5 years and then we are told, unequivocally, hit the road.

Jiggit
August 21st, 2014, 08:20
I've been at my school longer than 2/3rds of the JTEs.

coheeshosho
August 21st, 2014, 09:03
And?

Jiggit
August 21st, 2014, 09:10
So if being here for only 5 years mattered then it would matter about the same amount as for JTEs.

Maybe it's your inability to hold a thought for more than 2 seconds that makes your teachers not respect you?

coheeshosho
August 21st, 2014, 09:40
You are a teacher's aide man. Face the music.

Jiggit
August 21st, 2014, 09:42
I'll tell you what, I'll admit it the first time I take place in a lesson that a JTE plans and I don't lead.

ihatefall
August 21st, 2014, 09:52
Sounds like someone has SSS (special snowflake syndrome), when they didn't roll out the red carpet, you got disappointed.
I hate to say it but the janitor is most likely more committed to his job that most ALTs. I am not saying that coheeshosho isn't a great or bad teacher I have no way of knowing that. What I am saying is that the janitor will spend his whole life in that school system, compared to the ALT who will be around for 2 or 3 years and leave.

Seems like it would harder to replace a good janitor than a good ALT.

That being said, I wasn't treated as a contract worker but more as a special guest lecturer. My speeches were at the front of the pack.

uthinkimlost?
August 21st, 2014, 10:06
I hate to say it but the janitor is most likely more committed to his job that most ALTs.

Seems like it would harder to replace a good janitor than a good ALT.

I agree with the ideas of your post, but I'm not sure that these two statements are in agreement.

As for Coffeeshishi's assessment of things... I'm not sure I want to feed the troll again this time.

Jiggit
August 21st, 2014, 10:07
I don't think he's a troll, he's probably just a JHS ALT at a not very good school.

ihatefall
August 21st, 2014, 10:13
I agree with the ideas of your post, but I'm not sure that these two statements are in agreement.

As for Coffeeshishi's assessment of things... I'm not sure I want to feed the troll again this time.

What I am saying is that if a good janitor leaves it would be hard(er) to find another people to do that job. There are tons of college students all over the world that dream of teaching abroad for a year. No really dreams of being a janitor. But it seems that once someone settles into that job they seem pretty committed to it. Hell, I think it seems like a good gig. Almost the same pay as teachers, not having to deal the kids and you get to be a handyman all day.

uthinkimlost?
August 21st, 2014, 10:13
I don't think he's a troll, he's probably just a JHS ALT at a not very good school.

I'd buy that, but after the -great minority debate- of a few months ago I'm not sure I would.

That said, there aren't a lot of posts to reply to these days anyway. A troll is better than nothing.

uthinkimlost?
August 21st, 2014, 10:18
What I am saying is that if a good janitor leaves it would be hard(er) to find another people to do that job. There are tons of college students all over the world that dream of teaching abroad for a year. No really dreams of being a janitor. But it seems that once someone settles into that job they seem pretty committed to it. Hell, I think it seems like a good gig. Almost the same pay as teachers, not having to deal the kids and you get to be a handyman all day.

You can replace a "good ALT" with an "ALT" pretty easily, yeah.

My school groundskeepers are awesome.

Jiggit
August 21st, 2014, 10:20
Hell, I think it seems like a good gig. Almost the same pay as teachers, not having to deal the kids and you get to be a handyman all day.

Obviously there are gonna be a lot of hur hur hurs with this coming from me but I think of interacting with the kids as one of the only perks of this job.

It just seems very miserable that you would dislike it and I don't get why you would come here to be a teacher if you hate kids.

ihatefall
August 21st, 2014, 10:25
You can replace a "good ALT" with an "ALT" pretty easily, yeah.

My school groundskeepers are awesome.

Hahaha I was thinking that as well.

But then I thought about a post I made a couple weeks ago.

"Good ALT=
Shows up to work on time (check)
Not drunk or hung over (check)
Able to match a lesson plan / activity that remotely ties in with lessons (check) "

A great ALT is hard to find.
Someone great at any job is hard to find.

I am dealing with that now, my office is filled with people who think they are great workers and really none of them are "great" just good or ok.

word
August 21st, 2014, 10:29
Obviously there are gonna be a lot of hur hur hurs with this coming from me but I think of interacting with the kids as one of the only perks of this job.

It just seems very miserable that you would dislike it and I don't get why you would come here to be a teacher if you hate kids.
Yeah; I kinda feel this way, too. I generally prefer the company of my students to that of most other J-folks. They still have dreams and seem kinda optimistic, open-minded, and fun-loving.

Jiggit
August 21st, 2014, 10:44
It's a different kind of fun. Kids aren't so withdrawn and focused on showing their good side as some older and more serious Japanese people are. Most of them don't particularly care about telling you about wonderful Japanese this that and the other and tend to be pretty tired of being shovel-fed the same nonsense in their regular classes. They're fun because you can access their real personalities more directly.

But if you can find Japanese your age who you can speak with like that then it's no comparison. The kids are fun but they really have very little depth to their lives and interests. There are kids who you think are really fun and interesting when you see them in school but the few times I've met with ex-students I've really realised just have nothing interesting to talk about because their personalities aren't fully developed yet. Sadly as they go through college a lot of them become a lot more distant and aloof because they're trying harder to be adults.

word
August 21st, 2014, 11:20
But if you can find Japanese your age...That's really my problem. Young adults just don't stay in my town. I've got a few J-friends around my/MG's age, and they can be fun to chill with, but a lot of 'em seem kinda harried and most of them just want to move to a big city/abroad ASAP.

Jiggit
August 21st, 2014, 11:23
Well yeah, you've got to bother taking a trip to the nearest decent sized town.

ihatefall
August 21st, 2014, 12:07
Ok I am in a grumpy mood and I take that back. I loved my kids and sometimes I miss it (teaching). What I thinking was "monster parents" and dealing with the bad apple. That sort of "dealing with the kids" thing.
I like kids a lot (but don't want my own).

But I agree with what Jiggit said.

Actually what I wanted to say was something else. But I didn't want to get flamed so I pulled back.

Jiggit
August 21st, 2014, 12:08
Booooo come on spill it.

Jordaius
August 21st, 2014, 12:30
Actually what I wanted to say was something else. But I didn't want to get flamed so I pulled back.

Don't let the tatemae win. Open up your honne and let it flow out.

coheeshosho
August 21st, 2014, 12:39
Yeah, I wasn't trying to troll and I'm sorry that it came off that way. If you really do get to plan all your lessons and you won't get let go after 5 years, you deserve respect. Whether or not you will ever get that respect is doubtful, and you will never have a chance to be management. For most of us, (you were correct that I work at a JHS), we will be let go after 5 years and have no real chance to plan lessons or impact anything, which brings me to my point:

It's self-aggrandizement at best and dillusional at worst to assume that anything that you say at a public function matters. So long as you don't strip naked, no one will care or remember anything. To me, the title of this thread is absolutely ridiculous. Semantics aside, we are not "appointed," we are contracted. It's not like you recieved a nomination from Shinzo Abe and were "appointed." I'm glad that newbies are excited about this job, but chill the fuck out. No one will change anything or impact anything in a meaningful way from an ALT position.

Jiggit
August 21st, 2014, 12:52
I don't think you're trolling, I just think you're being unreasonably cynical and dismissive so I thought I might as well respond in kind.

What does the introductory speech matter for anyone? It only matters in the sense that you want to give a good impression of yourself so that your future coworkers treat you well. Japanese teachers work at a single school for a similar amount of time as an ALT can (3-5 years). Therefore your introduction speech matters about as much as a Japanese teacher's does.

Of course you aren't expected to know all the appropriate Japanese as a Japanese teacher would be, but if you can learn it why wouldn't you?

Gizmotech
August 21st, 2014, 13:11
Intro speech really doesn't matter, though I imagine it's particularly terrifying if you have to do it in front of the town mayor and half the public employees.

coheeshosho
August 21st, 2014, 13:14
Dude, I think you already know well that 3-5 years at a single school is usually more like 7-10 years. And really that's not even the point. We are not seisyain, we are contracted. We don't have the same rights and privileges. We are not members of the union. The glass ceiling is already at your head, crushing your face, turning your face into a contortion of your face, like a child pressing his face up against the window of a bus. Stop lying to yourself.

Jiggit
August 21st, 2014, 13:16
Looks like we've got another gezora, guys. Show us on the doll where Japan touched you!

Gizmotech
August 21st, 2014, 13:21
3-5 years? I've got teachers who have been at my school for 8 or more easily.

coheeshosho
August 21st, 2014, 13:24
It works mostly to my advantage. If foreigners here are all content to be teacher's aides, then it opens up the job market for real jobs in teaching or whatever. I'm just trying to help you see the light.

Jiggit
August 21st, 2014, 13:24
Well gosh there so have I, genius. I also had teachers who get sent packing after 2-3. The average for brand new teachers is probably pretty close to that.

Jiggit
August 21st, 2014, 13:27
It works mostly to my advantage. If foreigners here are all content to be teacher's aides, then it opens up the job market for real jobs in teaching or whatever. I'm just trying to help you see the light.

You'll forgive me if I don't particularly value the insights of someone who thinks saying "there are clubs in Roppongi" is a guide to Tokyo nightlife.

coheeshosho
August 21st, 2014, 13:31
I agree with you that most of my past posts have been lunacy. But I'm still a fetus in this womb. Give me time to develop.

coheeshosho
August 21st, 2014, 13:35
Also, you are wrong, so just admit it here.

Jiggit
August 21st, 2014, 13:38
Also, you are wrong, so just admit it here.

That's about as mature a comment as I'd expect from a foetus, I guess.

How do people like you get through college?

word
August 21st, 2014, 13:48
How do people like you get through college?American "universities" are profit-driven day-care centers. They don't really GAF if you learn anything or not; they just want you to spend 30-100 thousand dollars in student loan money having a good time being drunk and date-raping each other in their dorms.

uthinkimlost?
August 21st, 2014, 13:52

wut.

Jiggit
August 21st, 2014, 13:53
wut.

You know he's right, please just admit it here.

ihatefall
August 21st, 2014, 14:02
I agree Jiggit.

Also coheedandcambria,
I think that your right in someways but wrong in others.
While you applied for this job and weren't recruited, you were appointed to that BOE by Tokyo. So as far as the Local BOE (LB) sees it, the ALT is "appointed".

While I agree that maybe no single ALT is going to impact the system in a meaningful way, I wouldn't go as far as to say "anything". I think ALTs can have a huge impact on individuals and class rooms.
I had some of my old student look for me on Facebook 6 years after I left the school. I have heard a few Japanese people say that the ALT in their school taught them so much more than English.

You can have a huge impact in the lives of the people around if you choose to.

Jordaius
August 21st, 2014, 14:32
Don't sell yourself short, Co-sho. I'm sure you have had a tremendous impact on the lives of your students and JTEs but just don't realize it. Of course, the students and JTEs won't realize it either until they go to therapy one day and are forced to relive the traumatic memory of having to deal with your bitter existence. :^_^:

BeckyJones
August 21st, 2014, 15:41
this thread is stupid, and yall should feel bad.
to the OP, Don't worry, you don't need anything special. Just do your normal self intro, and bow and smile and be personable.

coheeshosho
August 21st, 2014, 17:55
Ok, I'll make sure not to sell myself short from now on. We're teachers aides people. Get it through your damn heads.

Jiggit
August 21st, 2014, 18:06
Maybe if you stopped having arguments with yourself then you wouldn't be so surprised when people don't agree with you.

sharpinthefang
August 21st, 2014, 20:27
I'm going to admit that i don't like kids much, however i do want to teach. I want to teach at a higher level than HS, but im not staying in the UK getting 'experience' in a place where the society is turning against the teaching profession. This works just as well for what i want, once i get the required number of years of experience i will move on and get my full teaching degree and teach at the level i want to teach. This is just a stepping stone in my path.

uthinkimlost?
August 21st, 2014, 22:58
I'm going to admit that i don't like kids much, however i do want to teach.

wut. wai?

I want to teach at a higher level than HS, but im not staying in the UK getting 'experience' in a place where the society is turning against the teaching profession. This works just as well for what i want, once i get the required number of years of experience i will move on and get my full teaching degree and teach at the level i want to teach. This is just a stepping stone in my path.

What level might that be?

And how does alting count toward your required experience?

coop52
August 22nd, 2014, 06:55
WTF are you going to do if you have ES or kindy visits?

BeckyJones
August 22nd, 2014, 08:14
WTF are you going to do if you have ES or kindy visits?

be an awkward weeb, and not liked.

Jiggit
August 22nd, 2014, 08:31
Yeah I don't want to say sourpusskids is a bad person but I really wish there wasn't this perception that teaching is something anyone can do that leads people who have no other aspirations to randomly fall into it. It was pretty obvious when I was at school which teachers cared and which teachers were just doing a job and there was a huge difference in how they affected their students. Teachers who cared shaped my future; those who didn't taught me almost nothing.

ihatefall
August 22nd, 2014, 11:11
Yeah I don't want to say sourpusskids is a bad person but I really wish there wasn't this perception that teaching is something anyone can do that leads people who have no other aspirations to randomly fall into it. It was pretty obvious when I was at school which teachers cared and which teachers were just doing a job and there was a huge difference in how they affected their students. Teachers who cared shaped my future; those who didn't taught me almost nothing.

So what you're saying is that coocookachu is teaching us nothing?

SomePeopleJustSaySnow
August 22nd, 2014, 16:33
So what you're saying is that coocookachu is teaching us nothing?

He taught me to trust my instincts.

ihatefall
August 22nd, 2014, 17:24
He taught me to trust my instincts.

Bwhahaha

mothy
August 23rd, 2014, 08:54
We are contracted employees. We are not on the same level as seisyain. That makes us different. How can you even argue that. We are here for a maximum of 5 years and then we are told, unequivocally, hit the road.

You have an interesting argumentation style, cohosalmon. It must leave you feeling like masterdebater and everyone else confused.

Jordaius
August 23rd, 2014, 09:09
You have an interesting argumentation style, cohosalmon. It must leave you feeling like masterdebater and everyone else confused.

Who wouldn't be confused when some guy suddenly masterdebates in front everyone?