PDA

View Full Version : English Board Photo Sharing - Back Up on JET Forums!

Namisuke
August 9th, 2014, 04:12
Because the English board thread was pretty popular and useful, I made a post on the forum requesting for it to be put in the Teaching Materials Forum. I know nobody really uses the Official forums anymore, but it was a good resource and is back up now. If there is a way to transfer it onto here so people could continue sharing on ITIL, that would be awesome too!

JET Programme Forums Login (http://www.jetprogramme.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=105&t=13287)

johnny
August 12th, 2014, 09:06
Those are so great ideas. I would love it if I weren't inept and could actually make decent looking art.

Namisuke
August 13th, 2014, 08:10
Get your kids to make something ^_^

johnny
August 13th, 2014, 09:35
It's not a bad though, but everything I do has to be with my resources and time only. I have made posters, but I have to bring all my own supplies. I have to provide my own poster board and markers. I have to do my own printing as well because at two of my three schools, I don't have access to the colour printers.

I am certain that they would never, ever allow me to have students for assistance or help.

uthinkimlost?
August 13th, 2014, 11:00
It's not a bad though, but everything I do has to be with my resources and time only. I have made posters, but I have to bring all my own supplies. I have to provide my own poster board and markers. I have to do my own printing as well because at two of my three schools, I don't have access to the colour printers.

johnny
August 13th, 2014, 13:07
Nice try, but I wasn't complaining. The fact that you had to edit my post proves that. What exactly are you trying to compensate for, and just how small is it that you have to pull shit like this?

uthinkimlost?
August 13th, 2014, 14:00
Nice try, but I wasn't complaining. The fact that you had to edit my post proves that. What exactly are you trying to compensate for, and just how small is it that you have to pull shit like this?

You mean the bit where you discuss a lack of child labor?

Lighten up, son.

Also,
4184this will help you see it, since you seem interested.

Call me if you like what you see.

Mods: I forgot this was in a modded area. Feel free to move it.

Namisuke
August 14th, 2014, 01:21

I am certain that they would never, ever allow me to have students for assistance or help.

I've never heard of a teacher who had materials supplied to them by the school for extra projects, no matter what country or position the person is in (sometimes even for regular supplies). It's unfortunate, but schools are generally poor. I probably spent $1000 of my own money while on JET for English club, lesson materials, and the English board, but we get paid well enough. Daiso is your friend. You can hoard scrap stuff before it all gets thrown in the trash from school festival also (extra bits of craft paper go a long way).

You don't have to ask for help to make stuff for the English board. You can do a lesson that has them make something that can be displayed on your board, like having them draw a picture and write about their school trip, club activity, pet, etc. You just have to ask someone for permission to display the work. You can even ask your kids if they want to draw something in their free time for the board. You can put up a whiteboard on your English board also to let the kids go to town on it. You can either buy one or make one by laminating a large piece of paper.

Gizmotech
August 14th, 2014, 06:09
I've never heard of a teacher who had materials supplied to them by the school for extra projects, no matter what country or position the person is in (sometimes even for regular supplies). It's unfortunate, but schools are generally poor. I probably spent $1000 of my own money while on JET for English club, lesson materials, and the English board, but we get paid well enough. Daiso is your friend. You can hoard scrap stuff before it all gets thrown in the trash from school festival also (extra bits of craft paper go a long way).

You don't have to ask for help to make stuff for the English board. You can do a lesson that has them make something that can be displayed on your board, like having them draw a picture and write about their school trip, club activity, pet, etc. You just have to ask someone for permission to display the work. You can even ask your kids if they want to draw something in their free time for the board. You can put up a whiteboard on your English board also to let the kids go to town on it. You can either buy one or make one by laminating a large piece of paper.

Huh? They keep offering to pay for all of my extra shit I do at school? Especially after my first year where I was paying for all my own supplies.

johnny
August 14th, 2014, 08:49
I don't have a problem with paying for my own supplies. I would use the school's supplies anyway because I am picky about the supplies I use. I like the nice and expensive markers that the school doesn't buy. I was just mentioning that everything I do, whether for classes or for extra project needs to be done with my resources and my time alone. I do not have a problem with that whatsoever. It just means that it's likely that the students aren't available to help me.

Also, you notion about introducing the art portion of the posters into a lesson plan is a good idea, but I'd have to figure out how to do that. My JTE's want the posters to be about me and Canada. We don't often have time to really go into the "internationalisation" aspect of the ALT position during class, so they see the posters as being a good way to make up for that. I'll have to think on how to integrate a poster class with the curriculum.

Namisuke
August 15th, 2014, 00:44
Huh? They keep offering to pay for all of my extra shit I do at school? Especially after my first year where I was paying for all my own supplies.

Lucky!! My boyfriend eventually got stuff paid for in his last year (he had an official English club). Mine was started by my pred, is not official, and I get no funds. My school was trying to make cuts to all kinds of things, so they seemed to have no money for more stuff. I'm okay with that though. Anyone else get funding?

Art portion of posters? I mentioned putting up student work. Doesn't matter what it is.

johnny
August 15th, 2014, 09:05

This is one poster I've made so far. It's unfinished. I have since added pictures and descriptions but I didn't want my to post anything with my picture on it. It's all hand-drawn.

johnny
August 15th, 2014, 09:11
I also have one for Canada, but the picture isn't uploading to the site. Maybe it's too big. Maybe I'll have to upload it somewhere on the net so I can show it to you.