PDA

View Full Version : Protecting Tatami from Furniture

Wasabi
August 10th, 2014, 07:24
I was hoping to buy a western bed within the next month from nitori or muji. My bedroom is made up of 6 or 8 tatami mats, which I know are delicate. What's the best way to go about keeping them in good shape once I get a bed? I know in the US they sell those round plastic furniture slider pads, so I wonder if something similar is available here and might do the trick?

word
August 10th, 2014, 11:32
Yeah, they sell similar products, but if you really want to protect it, you should probably put a big board or something under it. The more the weight is evenly distributed, the better.

Antonath
August 10th, 2014, 19:44
I suspect this is a common problem, so the place you buy the bed from may sell something appropriate themselves.

Gizmotech
August 11th, 2014, 08:36
Ask if you're gonna have to replace the tatami when you leave, if you are I say fuck it. If you aren't, then maybe getting a piece of plywood (or two if you can't transport it) from the local musashi would solve your problem.

I have literally destroyed two of the tatami in my room, but I knew I was gonna have to replace em when I left regardless as I was I came the year they needed to be replaced.

coop52
August 12th, 2014, 08:56
Some places might not even care since they count furniture as normal wear and tear. At least, that's what the agent told me last year when I was apartment hunting.

Wasabi
August 15th, 2014, 09:26
I found some bed frames specifically for tatami that distribute the weight a little better. However my problem now is that I don't think a bed will fit through my front door. There is a wall immediately as you enter the apartment. My genkan might not even be 1 square meter :(

uthinkimlost?
August 15th, 2014, 12:11
Mattress is flexible, supports can go through a window. Choose a small headboard and you're golden.

coop52
August 15th, 2014, 12:43
Or just take it apart

ihatefall
August 15th, 2014, 17:32
You can buy a bed without a box spring. If not there is always the rope/ pulley to your balcony.

Lianwen
August 15th, 2014, 18:56
My BOE's bed dug into the tatami and destroyed it. I'd recommend putting a carpet down in the whole room, if you can, honestly. It's what my friend did for her's and what I plan to do when I finally get around to setting up my bed. Depending on where your located, you can even get a heating pad for underneath your carpet, which'll be a treat in winter.