PDA

View Full Version : Understanding my Japanese Gas Bill

Lianwen
August 18th, 2014, 22:16
This might be relevant to new JETs as well, but I recently moved into a 2LDK in July and I just got my first gas bill for the month for July and August (7/25-8/18). Even though I was in America from the 28th to the 14th of August, my bill was 3000yen for 1m3.

I don't think I can live like this. I just took a 10 min shower at 38degrees, and I used up .1m3. Is this normal? My last apartment, I kept my water heater at 36degrees and took 10min showers, sometime every other day, and I never cooked and my bill was 6000yen or so a month. I feel like this is just me, though, because a friend and her boyfriend live in a mansion and they take easily 20min showers (individually) at 40+ a day and cook every day about and she was telling me she's never paid more than 8000yen. I feel like if I did that, I'd be screwed.

Halp.Why is my bill so high.

n107
August 18th, 2014, 22:38
As I've also just moved into a new apartment, I got a little more insight on how some of the bills work (I never really paid much attention before). I've been told that the gas bill has a base fee that you must pay in addition to the fee for the amount you use. So perhaps that's why the bill seems so large even though you haven't used very much gas, you're still paying a chunk for the base fee.

Lianwen
August 18th, 2014, 23:31
I hope this is the case, N. I wouldn't mind paying a base fee. My gas company was changed from the 25th, so I was under a different company from the 1st to the 24th. I'm still waiting on that bill.

word
August 19th, 2014, 06:16
Yeh I ran into this situation (with significantly moar expensive bills, incidentally); turns out, most of the bill was a result of the constant changing of the tanks (whether they needed changing or not). The former occupant was a well-off old man who didn't gaf but absolutely did not want to run out of gas under any circumstances. We had the frequency of the checking/changing done and our bills dropped. So, I suspect your bills may not be that bad; that a certain chunk of it is just the baseline fees involved in the changing of the tanks, rather than the actual gas used.

Gizmotech
August 19th, 2014, 09:54
Dumb question, do Japanese houses not have plumbed gas lines? Are they all tank exchange?

Lianwen
August 19th, 2014, 10:01
Dumb question, do Japanese houses not have plumbed gas lines? Are they all tank exchange?

I think because of earthquakes, there's very little if any plumbed gas lines.

Gizmotech
August 19th, 2014, 10:08
Well I kinda wondered about that for a second, but Canada has frost heave in winter (rather substantial, enough to lift and break roads with little effort) and we plumb gas everywhere. I can't see that being any better for gas lines than shaking them apart.

word
August 19th, 2014, 10:12
There are a few places in more-developed areas of my city that have natural gas. Bigger cities seem to have some gas lines sometimes. But tank exchange seems to be far more common, especially in rural-ish areas.

Jiggit
August 19th, 2014, 10:15
Well I kinda wondered about that for a second, but Canada has frost heave in winter (rather substantial, enough to lift and break roads with little effort) and we plumb gas everywhere. I can't see that being any better for gas lines than shaking them apart.

A big earthquake though probably causes sudden and more extensive damage, and would probably have a worse effect on urban areas. AFAIK gas explosions become a huge problem after big quakes. Plus no-one is going to get out to repair them when half the city is rubble.

Ini
August 19th, 2014, 10:21
broken gas lines caused 7500 houses to burn down following the 95 kobe quake and rescue workers reported the area smelling of burnt bacon when recovering the charred bodies....

Lianwen
August 19th, 2014, 10:27
Japan's earthquakes cause soil to 'liquify' when especially strong tremors like the March 2011 quake hit. I was under the impression that was the main reason gas isn't underground usually.

pumarito
August 19th, 2014, 11:47
JETs bitching about $25 utility bills? I see nothing has changed.

word
August 19th, 2014, 11:49
Yeh I kinda LOLed, too, but I think she was mainly just concerned that it was 3000 with minimal usage and assumed it would go up drastically from there.

pumarito
August 19th, 2014, 11:51
There may or may not be gas tanks needing to be switched out depending where you are, ditto for the base fee. What I do know is OP is probably in an old dump that is horribly inefficient, and that's probably why.

Lianwen
August 19th, 2014, 12:08
Yeh I kinda LOLed, too, but I think she was mainly just concerned that it was 3000 with minimal usage and assumed it would go up drastically from there.

Yeah, and I panicked. I was using my gas for like 6 days.

webstaa
August 19th, 2014, 13:42
Check to make sure your water heater/tank hookup isn't leaking - I have an alarm in the apartment, but outside there is nothing to alert you but smell. Mine developed a slow leak that cost me about $80 in gas before I tracked it down and had the landlord come in to fix it. The repair didn't cost me anything.

sharpinthefang
August 19th, 2014, 23:25
In my city, where there are virtually no earthquakes (but a sh*t-ton of typhoons), we have gas lines plumbed into the apartments. Im in a Leo Palace c.2007ish with a base rate of 2,500. Somehow, my bill for 3 weeks was at 3,500. And yet my neighbour (an ALT couple) also paid 3,500 for a month. They told me they both take long showers every day, sometimes twice a day.
Now, i dont know what uses gas as i have no water tank, electric hobs and no heating. So what on freeking earth uses gas and how can i reduce my bill?

Lianwen
November 19th, 2014, 22:28
Me again. This month's gas bill is...14万円. This month though, I have a small section attached '繰越金'. I'm pretty sure I'm not carrying a balance (and none of my other bills have been close to 8500円, the amount that says I'm carrying forward). Is there another reason why I would have this?

therealwindycity
November 19th, 2014, 22:29
Please tell me that's a digit off. Your gas bill is nearly one thousand five hundred dollars?

Lianwen
November 19th, 2014, 22:30
Ugh I forgot the period.

Lianwen
November 19th, 2014, 22:30
1.4万円

Ini
November 19th, 2014, 23:18
do you pay by direct debit?

Lianwen
November 19th, 2014, 23:19
No, I get a slip I enter into the atm at Japan post.

Ini
November 19th, 2014, 23:29
check your bank book, if you have proof that you paid it on time contact the gas company.