PDA

View Full Version : Possible career opportunities for ALTs (From NEWS)

Gizmotech
August 21st, 2014, 13:10
グローバル化に対応 外国語指導助手に特別免許状交付へ (http://headlines.yahoo.co.jp/hl?a=20140818-00010001-benesseks-life)
From what I can tell, it looks like Monbusho and Benesse are looking to create a series of guidelines for finding foreigners to work in schools as more than just ALTs, but as actual teachers.

If someone can find more info on this I'd be interested to hear it.

coop52
August 21st, 2014, 19:51
I'm in the process of getting one now. So far all I had to do was fill out a form with my work history (you have to have spent a few years as an ALT before you qualify). They're looking over the paperwork now, and then I think there's some kind of interview. It sounds like I won't hear back for a while though. I work in a private school, though, so I'm not sure if the process is the same for public school.

Gizmotech
August 22nd, 2014, 11:27
That's basically what they are doing from my understanding. Figure out a way for the public schools to use similar systems to the private schools to increase teacher count.

matt360
August 26th, 2014, 08:09
That's what I'm doing now, and it's a pretty sweet gig. We also have a JET ALT here as well, so while they are team teaching half of the class with the JTE, I'll be solo teaching the other half. This is in Hiroshima and right now there are only 3 high schools in the prefecture that do this.

My principal told me earlier this year that the Hiroshima BOE was considering hiring former ALTs on, not as 講師, which is what I am now, but as 教諭, which would make them equal with the full-time Japanese teachers. But that includes the transfers after several years, losing your social life to club activities, etc.

Full-time 講師 is pretty sweet though. Monthly take-home is comparable to a JET salary, when you include rent subsidy, travel expenses, and other odds and ends. But you also get two bonuses a year, which will put the yearly salary well over 4 million yen. I'm also lucky though in that I'm working at a public school with an international department and fantastic students and co-workers.

Gizmotech
August 26th, 2014, 08:57
Is your HS a prefectual HS or private HS?

matt360
August 26th, 2014, 09:14
Prefectural

uthinkimlost?
August 26th, 2014, 09:28
That's pretty interesting. Did they ask you to stay on in that capacity, or did you apply for a vacancy?

Jiggit
August 26th, 2014, 09:32
What license did you have to get to work solo?

matt360
August 26th, 2014, 09:54
I was a JET like 8 years ago. When that finished I went to work at a local YMCA Technical College for a few years. It sucked so I started looking around. I applied at a private boy's school that offers tenure but didn't end up getting the job. But one of the teacher's I interviewed with referred me to the school where I'm working at now. I knew of the school where I am now working when I was still on JET, and knew it was kinda famous for its international department.

Getting the license was kind of a pain in the ass, but nothing anyone who has experience renewing a visa hasn't gone through. Tons of paperwork, my entire school and work history including elementary school, a physical exam, transcripts and proof of graduation from my university, references from when I was on JET, and probably a bunch of other shit that I can't remember. And of course the interview itself at my current school. It's a 特別免許状 like the one mentioned in the article above and mine is good for 3 years.

Gizmotech
August 26th, 2014, 10:11
Out of curiosity is your degree in any way related to language or education?

matt360
August 26th, 2014, 11:35
Nope. Unrelated field, no teaching license from back home, no master's degree. None of them were required, but I do think part of the reason I was hired was that the school was desperate. I did well in the interview and the JTEs I worked with on JET vouched for me, but I pretty much lucked into it. Oh, and the fact that my Japanese is halfway decent probably helped a lot.

johnny
August 27th, 2014, 09:28
Thanks for the info dude! Very interesting.