PDA

View Full Version : Internet Help

hello12345
August 24th, 2014, 13:51
Hello,

I am trying to set up my internet and I am struggling massively. I am with NTT East/Flet's Hikari and I have been posted a router. The installer did not come when he was supposed to but apparently I have everything I need to set up my internet now. The router is a PR-500MI and my provider is softbank/yahoo I think.

It's very confusing so any help would be appreciated.

greyjoy
August 24th, 2014, 16:06
Do you have Windows 8?

Antonath
August 24th, 2014, 16:12
Does your router have wifi built in?

word
August 24th, 2014, 16:52
I recommend not trying to mess around with wifi yet. Plug your router into your computer and try going to 192.169.0.1 or 192.168.1.1, or maybe some other address. Check the back of the router and the materials included for the default router password.

sharpinthefang
August 24th, 2014, 22:57
passwords to get into router settings are normally admin and admin. Is your apartment with leo-palace or someone else?

coop52
August 25th, 2014, 20:35
Wait for the installer to come. Even if you have the router, they might have to do something to the wall socket. It usually takes about 5-10 minutes.

Wasabi
August 25th, 2014, 21:09
So I have Flets ADSL and they just dropped the stuff at my house. It didn't come with a built in wireless router. I found the English support line for OCN (number here 0120-047-860) and they called me back about an hour later to walk me through the process. They had me set up the connection using the Windows 8 built in wizard for setting up a new broadband connection. They should have sent you a separate piece of mail that has a username and password for the connection - you need this paper if you call too, as it has your customer number on it which they want (top of the page near your name, 10 digits starting with N). The username you need to make the PPPoE connection work will be a mix of letters and numbers with an ending that looks kind of like an e-mail address (something like @ocn.one.ne.jp) and my password was like 6 or 8 characters long, and again a mix of letters and numbers. I bought a wireless router (Elecom brand) for just under 3,000 yen and what you have to do to make the wireless work is to go to the router's ip address (mine was listed on a big sticker along with the name of the wireless network, the wireless password, and some other information). The IP address is usually something similar to 198.162.2.1 but it can vary so look for a set of numbers similar to that in your router's instructions. Log in with whatever your router's username & password is (probably admin/admin). The page that pops up will be all Japanese, but there should be a section written partially in roman letters that specifies 'WAN'. I attached a screenshot of my router's page with basic instructions. It might not be exactly the same layout for every wireless router, but it might help you out.

Note: I understand very little Japanese & have extremely basic tech skills, but I just kind of clicked around and tried things until it worked. If you can read katakana it'll be useful in this situation. Best of luck!

Ini
August 25th, 2014, 22:04
I attached a screenshot of my router's page with basic instructions. It might not be exactly the same layout for every wireless router, but it might help you out.

Note: I understand very little Japanese & have extremely basic tech skills, but I just kind of clicked around and tried things until it worked. If you can read katakana it'll be useful in this situation. Best of luck!

if you click 言語設定 at the bottom you should be able to change it to english.