PDA

View Full Version : Seattle Souvenirs?

shmousie
May 23rd, 2004, 05:41
Have any Washington State JETs come up with some good ideas for souvenirs/larger gifts to take with you for when you meet people? I keep coming up empty when I try to think of good things!

katharine
May 23rd, 2004, 06:34
The only thing I can think of is the nice packaged Copper River Salmon (the best kind, IMO). But I've heard that they wouldn't really like it over there.... and I was generally discouraged from buying gifts at all! I have no clue what to do.

akira
May 23rd, 2004, 07:40
Give them cake and sodomy.

katharine
May 23rd, 2004, 07:42
Maxxy, be nice. :)

koitten
May 23rd, 2004, 16:51
COFFEE...I mean, what else would a self-respecting Seattlite bring.

I found forms of food, like candy/chocolate good items. The chocolate they have there isn't great. It's heavy, but probably the easiest. Brown & Haley is from Tacoma (Almond Roca) and has a discount shop right at the factory. They also carry Applets&Cotlets, etc. (from Wenatchee/Chelan - somewhere there abouts).

Try the Made in Washington type stores in the malls and head down to the Pike Place Market. Honestly, I haven't thought of any great ideas for expensive items. Nike products are from Portland, as are Columbia Sportswear. They're big on Columbia & NorthFace. Mariners are big (though probably not as big considering they're not doing well this season).

Blown glass (Chihuly's from Tacoma), Northwest Native American items, Local Art...

Go for as lightweight, and small as you can get. You're going to need every inch and ounce in your luggage, especially if you're a woman, and like to do outdoorsy stuff. Maybe even mail some items.

dobharrison
May 23rd, 2004, 23:52
The chocolate they have there isn't great.

I love Japanese chocolate! It's so dark and delicious!

katharine
May 24th, 2004, 07:42
I totally agree that chocolate is delicious and a good gift. BUT! I've tried taking it several times, and almost all of those times the chocolate was totally melted because of the summer heat. You leave it in a hot area for more than 3 minutes, and boom it's ruined. That's why I won't take choc anymore. :?

madeline
May 27th, 2004, 06:44
Hi Erin! I saw your post about getting upgraded on the yahoo forum! Congrats! Another Pomona person going to Japan.. Do you know your placement yet?
As far as Seattle gifts...I was thinking almond roca, but I didn't think about the melting problem. Applets and cotlets definitely (I actually can't stand them, but they make good gifts) and maybe some of those apple chips you can buy at the market, if I can find packages that are sealed well enough (not sure about this). There's also all those jam stalls at the market, but jam is heavy.

koaleia
May 27th, 2004, 08:39
Seneca Apple Chips (made w/Washington apples!)

I just bought myself a couple bags (caramel & cinnamon)... forgot how good those are. :D

shmousie
May 28th, 2004, 10:11
Sorry for not responding sooner (I was out of town on a backpacking trip), but thank you all for your suggestions! I think I've got a few ideas now.

koitten
May 30th, 2004, 06:28
Anybody wanna get together for a souvenir shopping trip?
Pike Place Market, REI, Coffee and a great excuse to meet other Seattle types before leaving for Japan.

Rantai
May 30th, 2004, 08:30
Okay, so I've spoken to a woman who lived in Kobe for many years and often traveled back and forth from Seattle, bringing gifts along the way. She says that "Applets & Cotlets" are no good. She says that while they may seem very Northwesty to us, to the Japanese they are almost indistinguishable from any old Turkish Delight, and are thus very disappointing. She also warns against taking along packaged salmon in any form, and implied that she actually insulted some people trying to do that. Fresh salmon would be fine, but taking packaged fish to a country of fish is just too odd.

So, yeah, I'm buying coffee.

akira
May 30th, 2004, 12:13
Fresh salmon! That's a great idea. I'll just wrap it up in some newspaper and put it in my suitcase. Yummy...

Coffee seems like a good bet. Try for something other than Starbucks though. Japan already has those and who wants to go corporate when you can patronize independent establishments and organically grown fair-trade coffee.

shmousie
June 1st, 2004, 02:04
Koitten, I'd love to do a shopping trip! Drop me an e-mail at emc @ bust.com if you're still interested!

akira
June 1st, 2004, 02:13
I'd be interested as well. Though I won't have any money until the 10th.
Meeting everyone would be smashing.

Are you all signed up on Lynn's "2004seattlejets" yahoo group yet? I'm sure there are a couple kids there who aren't here.

ciao bella!

Rantai
June 1st, 2004, 04:39
Oh, hey, a shopping trip! That's a good idea. I'm in.

rantai@ tankpolice.com is my number. Drop me a line. I suppose Pike Place is the best place to go. Also, the Washington shop. I dunno... let's talk about it.

katharine
June 1st, 2004, 05:17
Count me in! kmh073@u.washington.edu.

akira
June 1st, 2004, 06:39
Suppose it would help to include my contact information: akira@u.washington.edu

koitten
June 1st, 2004, 14:10
Will e-mail all of you tomorrow with I few ideas about days/times. Also, mtg location, as carpooling saves gas, parking fees, and the environment. :P
ko_itten@yahoo.com

miffymiao
June 10th, 2004, 08:28
Hi! If it's not too late, I'm interested in the omiyage shopping trip!

[mmwang@u.washington.edu]

Also, I guess I might have disappointed my Kobe internship people with the Aplets&Cotlets that I thought are so delicious. -_-;

I LOVE Almond Roca! Thanks to the cool Aomori weather, I think I will bring that and some coffee! I thought about the Seneca apple chips, but I wonder if that'd be taken as *insult* (?) since Aomori (although not the city I'm going to) is famous for apples...

mark
July 11th, 2004, 06:26
Ok, So i got ALL my Seattle souvenirs in one stop. Get ready... K MART!
Yes, seriously they are the best. Seattle T-Shirts 3.99, Cool Seattle hot pad thingies, Mariners b-ball hats for the guys ( I bought 9). Don't diss K Mart till you check this stuff out !

koaleia
July 14th, 2004, 04:41
Wow, which K-mart?

I'm more partial towards Target, but they don't seem to have as much souvenir-ish kind of things.

Cool! Thanks for the tip -- I was about to head down to Pike Place/downtown this weekend, but I'll check out K-mart as well.

mark
July 15th, 2004, 15:10
It was the KMart in Shoreline on Aurora. But I would assume they all have it. You should be able to find Mariners hats (not in the souvenir section) for 5.99 each.

tvanhorne
July 16th, 2004, 02:00
Who are you buying $5.99 hats for? Sounds like you're spending lots of money on stuff. If they made individually wrapped baseball-shaped senbei we could buy for $5 a box that would be perfect--one for the office, one for the apartment. $10 and boom, you're done.