PDA

View Full Version : A random laundry question

nibbletbunny
September 10th, 2014, 15:51
Well, I've lived here for over a year now and I still am not super happy about how my laundry smells. I use fabric softener stuff along with my detergent and hang it up right away. On days when it's not raining, the laundry goes outside. On bad-weather days, it gets hung up on one of those metal monstrosities with a fan pointed directly on it. I think the laundry ends up smelling slightly sour on some occasions and I just can't get it smelling as good as it did back in the states. I feel like I am missing some crucial Japanese laundry technique or something. I am still learning the ways of doing laundry in the slightly "old-school," way and grew up with both an electric washer and dryer. I know I probably sound like I'm being super particular about this, but I would love to hear any advice you guys might have about how you get your laundry smelling super fresh! I don't want to scare off any of my students or co-workers with my funk!

Any laundry wisdom?

Thanks! :)

uthinkimlost?
September 10th, 2014, 15:53
Spray starch or febreeze and iron.

Ini
September 10th, 2014, 16:01
Buy a dryer

word
September 10th, 2014, 16:19
Buy a dryerword

Also, clean out your washer--they sell special tablets and stuff for doing this. Running a load full of hot water with a good cup or two of bleach (just wash some old towels or something) can help with this, too.

Jiggit
September 10th, 2014, 17:04
Running a load full of hot water

A what now?

coop52
September 10th, 2014, 18:04
Get one of those little water pumps and run it from your bathtub to your washing machine.

soh
September 10th, 2014, 18:52
I bought this thing (http://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/product/B0012P40ZS/ref=oh_details_o04_s00_i03?ie=UTF8&psc=1) to clean my washer and use this "deodorant" (http://store.ponparemall.com/fafa-online/goods/900008/)along with laundry detergent.
According to the manual, the washer should be cleaned once a month with bleach on "cleaning course".

webstaa
September 11th, 2014, 08:16
For my close to 10 year old washer, I run an extra rinse cycle on the larger loads. Like most things Japanese, the washer is meant for much smaller, more frequent loads than I do. So it doesn't do the job on the larger loads. If your laundry comes out with a lot of lint, definitely try some of the cleaning products or bleach. You might find the need to break out the giant kettle to boil a gallon or two of water to heat up the cleaning cycle to get it all out.

nibbletbunny
September 11th, 2014, 08:23
Thanks everyone for the suggestions! I will definitely try those out! I don't have much of a sense for domestic things, so I use all of the help I can get! :P :)

megarooony
September 12th, 2014, 12:20
White vinegar can be really good for freshening up the smell of things too! Just add a cup of white vinegar to your normal washing liquid/fabric softener combination. It has some disinfecting properties, it preserves color, and can help maintain the cleanliness of your washing machine once you've given it a clean out. I've read in a couple of places that it also works as a natural fabric softener too? I dk about that one though.

Some notes on bleach: the CDC's standard for bleach dilution is 1:10 - 1:100 for biohazard (contact with infectious diseases/bodily fluids) sterilization, so if you want to be careful about it, make sure to dilute. (I'm super guilty of not following this rule and bleaching everything to death.) Also, bleach looses effectiveness in hot water because the heat breaks down the active ingredients, so cool water is best for maximum effectiveness. Hot water doesn't make it dangerous though, as far as I can tell. And of course, the standard don't mix bleach with other cleaning agents rule is an important one too.

patjs
September 14th, 2014, 15:16
If you hang them outside the clothes gets a particular smell, but I always found it to be a nice one.

I noticed that sour smell you are talking about sometimes, but it was usually if I hung the clothes inside or left them in the washer too long after it finished the cycle.

Mahjonggmania
September 14th, 2014, 23:17
Speaking of laundry,

Does anyone have any good detergent and/or stain removal brands? I getting really tired of having to wash things 2-3 just to get the stain to fade.:013:

Cheers.:^_^:

webstaa
September 16th, 2014, 08:35
Go to your local 薬 and ask for help. I use a baking soda/stain fighter to get the pit stains out of my nice shirts. It works fine, as long as you don't us the dryer - that sets the stain and makes it harder to remove.

word
September 16th, 2014, 09:07
MG and I order Oxy-Clean from Amazon. It works remarkably well for all sorts of stuff.

coop52
September 16th, 2014, 20:24
A little bit of baking soda works pretty good and is super cheap

Mahjonggmania
September 28th, 2014, 19:53
Thanks for help guys baking soda etc... has been bought.

catamongthepixies
October 6th, 2014, 18:47
I'm having a similar problem, but I actually managed to find some (the Japanese brand equivalent) of Febreeze Fabric stuff at the Juntendo home improvement store closest to me. It's actually really helping with bigger items like bedding or kendo uniforms that are hard to dry when the weather is bad, but I'll give some of the other tips a try too!