PDA

View Full Version : About SIM cards in Japan, going from a Galaxy S2 to an S5

kurisu
September 11th, 2014, 15:44
So I don't particularly feel like paying 95,000 yen for the phone over 2 years while having to re-extend my contract if I don't have to.

There are plenty of people selling sealed DoCoMo brand S5 phones on Amazon for around 50,000 - 55,000 yen, and I was wondering if anyone knows if I should just be able to buy the new phone online and swap the SIM from my S2 to my S5 and have it continue working. I don't see any difference in network or anything that would change data usage or anything. It just seems like a hardware upgrade.

Anyone have any clarification on this?

sharpinthefang
September 11th, 2014, 20:30
If it was the rest of the world i would say not a problem, but being Japan..

This site fully unlocks Japanese phones (regardless of what your told). I had my Softbank samsung unlocked through them. It takes a while though as it is sent through the network/internet.
Official Samsung Unlock | (http://officialsamsungunlock.com/)

Gizmotech
September 12th, 2014, 07:46
So I don't particularly feel like paying 95,000 yen for the phone over 2 years while having to re-extend my contract if I don't have to.

There are plenty of people selling sealed DoCoMo brand S5 phones on Amazon for around 50,000 - 55,000 yen, and I was wondering if anyone knows if I should just be able to buy the new phone online and swap the SIM from my S2 to my S5 and have it continue working. I don't see any difference in network or anything that would change data usage or anything. It just seems like a hardware upgrade.

Anyone have any clarification on this?

A)your contract extends regardless
B) isn't it subsidized in the contract?

kurisu
September 12th, 2014, 09:25
A)your contract extends regardless
B) isn't it subsidized in the contract?

Why would my contract extend regardless? My friend has moved his SIM card to a weaker phone when he was having troubles with it before and encountered no problems with no notification to the company. From what I understand, as long as the SIM card is compatible, the actual company should never be notified of anything and I would just continue on with my monthly payments.

And no, Japan doesn't subsidize shit apparently. The BEST I have ever gotten offered was when I was changing from Softbank to Docomo, and they gave me 20,000 yen cash out the door when I "ported" my number or what not. They actually jerk you around for money by only allowing you to do a 2 year payment plan rather than buying the phone outright which brings the normal phone cost of 55,000 up to the 95,000 they are asking. I would much rather buy it outright, but they don't allow that at the official shops.

kurisu
September 12th, 2014, 09:26
If it was the rest of the world i would say not a problem, but being Japan..

This site fully unlocks Japanese phones (regardless of what your told). I had my Softbank samsung unlocked through them. It takes a while though as it is sent through the network/internet.
Official Samsung Unlock | (http://officialsamsungunlock.com/)

Is this really an unlocking issue though? If it is a DoCoMo branded/set-up phone, shouldn't it work with my DoCoMo SIM card/plan? Why would I need to unlock anything?

Gizmotech
September 12th, 2014, 09:43
Why would my contract extend regardless? My friend has moved his SIM card to a weaker phone when he was having troubles with it before and encountered no problems with no notification to the company. From what I understand, as long as the SIM card is compatible, the actual company should never be notified of anything and I would just continue on with my monthly payments.

And no, Japan doesn't subsidize shit apparently. The BEST I have ever gotten offered was when I was changing from Softbank to Docomo, and they gave me 20,000 yen cash out the door when I "ported" my number or what not. They actually jerk you around for money by only allowing you to do a 2 year payment plan rather than buying the phone outright which brings the normal phone cost of 55,000 up to the 95,000 they are asking. I would much rather buy it outright, but they don't allow that at the official shops.

Your contract automatically renews when it is finished. If you had a 2 year contract, you will have another one when the first is up, with a one (maybe two) month window to cancel when the first concludes. They do not go month to month in this country for cellular service.

As for moving down, not a problem, but moving up there was a lot of discussion about white vs black sim cards provided by the carriers with access to 4g networks for instance with various devices. Regardless of settings in the android itself.

Japan subsidizes a lot. My iPhones have been free for the base models I have purchased, as was my iPad.

kurisu
September 12th, 2014, 10:45
Your contract automatically renews when it is finished. If you had a 2 year contract, you will have another one when the first is up, with a one (maybe two) month window to cancel when the first concludes. They do not go month to month in this country for cellular service.

As for moving down, not a problem, but moving up there was a lot of discussion about white vs black sim cards provided by the carriers with access to 4g networks for instance with various devices. Regardless of settings in the android itself.

Japan subsidizes a lot. My iPhones have been free for the base models I have purchased, as was my iPad.

Wow, really? They can just automatically extend a contract like that without getting a signature or something? Smh. I am going to go into the shop soon I guess with a BOE person or something to figure out what's up. I don't understand the terms and keigo they use so I usually only catch the general idea. Not good for shit involving contracts and moniez.

Can you link up an offer of some kind of subsidy like that for a phone with a contract or changing service or whatever? I don't even care what company it is. I have looked at a lot of places/sites, in person as well, and never come across free phones. When I was back in the states, they were dime a dozen for brand new models so I was shocked when I tried to find them here. Not calling you a liar or anything, I just must be looking in the wrong places or not asking the right questions.

Going to look into the black/white chips too to see if there is any info on them floating around. Grazi!

uthinkimlost?
September 12th, 2014, 10:48
It was in your first contract.

kurisu
September 12th, 2014, 10:52
It was in your first contract.

Well, if it is commonplace across all Japan, and Japan doesn't offer month to month service outside of prepaid, it is still stupid as fuck and impossible to circumvent. Not like I wasn't going to sign a contract because it was in there. That's just how it is in this backwards ass country right?

kurisu
September 12th, 2014, 10:53
Not going to live that life of the prepaid, 30 minutes a month, 9 character text limit stuff.

uthinkimlost?
September 12th, 2014, 11:01
Well, if it is commonplace across all Japan, and Japan doesn't offer month to month service outside of prepaid, it is still stupid as fuck and impossible to circumvent. Not like I wasn't going to sign a contract because it was in there. That's just how it is in this backwards ass country right?

It used to be in the contracts of some smaller cell companies in the US. Dunno about now. Auto-renewing contracts aren't terribly uncommon anywhere.

Just go in and see what they say.

Gizmotech
September 12th, 2014, 11:42
Every time my contract renews, I ask for a new phone with it. my recent contract ended up being more expensive than the first one, but that was just because I paid for LTE features which weren't in my first contract (iphone 4), and were required for the second (iphone 5). Otherwise, the phone itself is still free in both of em, no problem.

Honestly, I don't see why all Japanese people don't take advantage of hardware upgrades at contract renewal, but then I don't think they think about it all that much anyways.

greyjoy
September 12th, 2014, 20:21
Jiggit, how much is your bill every month?

kurisu
September 13th, 2014, 14:16
Jiggit, how much is your bill every month?

You mean Gizmo?

greyjoy
September 15th, 2014, 19:29
Yeah, or whoever.

Ini
September 15th, 2014, 20:04
s2 uses a standard sim and the s5 uses a micro sim....

webstaa
September 16th, 2014, 08:36
You can trim them down...