PDA

View Full Version : Dream Placement

AtomicYak
April 26th, 2005, 23:34
Has anyone else had dreams about where they'll be placed? I've had two in the past week.

In the first one, after Tokyo orientation I went to a regional orientation in Miyagi-ken (I had to look up where it was when I woke up)

In the dream last night, one of the people who interviewed me told me I was going to a city caled Iwazu or Owazu or Omazu...I can't remember - I should've written it down when I woke up this morning.

If I end up in any of those places I'll be a bit freaked out.

quasarsglow
April 27th, 2005, 00:07
The closest dream to that that I've had is that I'm living in Boston with my friends trying to ignore the fact that they're doing cocaine off a plaque I won in high school. :lol:

So yeah, I might be upset if that's where I wind up. Nothing against living with my friends or anything...

April 27th, 2005, 02:37
Wow, your dreams are that lucid that you can remember specific names of places!? And of Japanese places that you've never been at that! That's amazing. All I ever remember of my dreams is a sort of pleasant fuzz.

I've been doing a bit of day-dreaming about possibilities in Japan. It's mainly a way of avoiding doing revision though!

nicklad
April 27th, 2005, 09:52
There is a Numazu and a Iwata in Shizuoka.

I guess you might have been watching Karate Kid too much if you are dreaming of Miyagi.

swimmergirl
April 27th, 2005, 10:05
Too weird! I also had a dream on the weekend in which I found out my placement. I was living in a place called Maibara. When I woke up I looked it up in my atlas but the closest name was Maihara, in Shiga-ken. The scary thing is that Shiga-ken was one of my placement choices! I will freak out if I am placed in or near Maihara! 8O

nicklad
April 27th, 2005, 10:14
There is a Haibara in Shizuoka also.

All these dreams.

Normally mine involve being chased around New York by a giant or the usual bloke dreams involving numerous girls and bottles of baby lotion.

BCGirl
April 27th, 2005, 10:42
I had a dream that I showed up in Tokyo for orientation with two of my Japanese friends from home. I was in a convenient store and there was a wierd system where you had to get what you wanted written down on a piece of paper and then once you had done that you could take it to the cashier. I was trying to buy a calling card to let everyone know that I had got there OK and yet since I don't speak any Japanese things got really confusing...all the Japanese people behind the counter stared at me with blank faces as I tried to use sharades to explain "calling card." My friend Tatsu was looking at me with a shit eating grin ..."you ain't in Kansas anymore sweetie." I realized then how hard it must have been for him in Canada when he first got here and I started panicking about a potential year of this confusion. I then found out that I was going somewhere tropical. When I arrived there was this third year JET wearing short marilyn shorts and a bikini top with her face painted like a Geisha with the wig and all talking to some Japanese boys on BMX bikes. She was chain smoking and only paused from her drags long enough to say "Welcome to Japan sista'..is it hot enough here for ya'?" She looked all cracked out and was living in some Japanese trailer park. When I got to my town I was living in a dorm with five other JETs in a house that had twelve tatami mats,maybe more. Then all I remember was going to a beach with black rocks,somewhat white sand and turquoise water. There was also a big lake nearby with lots of pine trees growing from it so nothing made sense really.

Soooooo...that was my dream about Japan...hopefully things won't be as wacked out in real time there as they were in dream time! Just wish I knew where I was going... :?:

Shotokai
April 27th, 2005, 15:30
oh how little you know.

AtomicYak
April 27th, 2005, 23:08
Too weird! I also had a dream on the weekend in which I found out my placement. I was living in a place called Maibara. When I woke up I looked it up in my atlas but the closest name was Maihara, in Shiga-ken. The scary thing is that Shiga-ken was one of my placement choices! I will freak out if I am placed in or near Maihara! 8O

Maihara is also known as Maibara. JR labels it Maibara - that's what I've always referred to it as, but it is the same place. Enjoy Maibara (Because your dream doesn't lie!!!)

The reason I can remember my dreams so vividly is because I actively journal them - periodically I can remember 3, 4, or 5 in a night.

BCGirl
April 28th, 2005, 07:27
Thanks Shotokai! That makes me feel a lot better.

morikyd
April 28th, 2005, 08:19
I dreamed a specific name of my placement...but the place didnt exhist. I cant remember it now but it rhymed or was similar to the word banana with a Japanese accent.
Let us know if you get the placement of your dreams. :)

Shotokai
April 28th, 2005, 08:23
no problem, I was, of course, referring to the complete weirdness that is this crazy country.

CharlieBrown
April 30th, 2005, 19:30
i dreamed i got my placement but the town had a french-sounding name (in a japanese sounding prefecture)! :?: never been to france and don't speak french. it was very strange but i was really happy about going there!

quasarsglow
May 2nd, 2005, 22:18
I had a dream last night about how I was going to be executed for not having one of my JET forms signed by a nonexistent bureaucratic city employee.

There were guest appearances from a very evil Ty Pennington, a kid from my Japanese class and Téodor from Achewood (he's a webcomic character). There were also flying buildings, kamikazes and me screaming at my neighbor that my mom isn't going to be able to make things all better, this is the Japanese government and she doesn't want me to go to Japan anyway.

At this point, I'm pretty sure that I can blame it on secondhand pot smoke from a concert last night, eating spaghetti before bed, finals, and Extreme Makeover Home Edition.

emski
May 4th, 2005, 03:56
What I remember of my dream is very vague, but it involved finding out I was being sent to the north of the country and being massively depressed at the prospect of spending a year in a climate colder than Britain's!

I was actually shocked at how upset I'd got when I woke up.

Frustration at the rubbish spring we're having is obviously permeating my dreams...

Other than that, there's the daily paranoia attacks along the lines of "are you sure you sent the reply form off?" Followed by unpleasant day-mares about having to tell all the friends who've been following my Jet saga for 4 months that due to utter incompetence I've lost my place...

zz_alex_zz
May 4th, 2005, 04:26
Other than that, there's the daily paranoia attacks along the lines of "are you sure you sent the reply form off?" Followed by unpleasant day-mares about having to tell all the friends who've been following my Jet saga for 4 months that due to utter incompetence I've lost my place...

Hahahaha, yeah I keep thinking the same thing. “But what if I put the wrong address on… What if some ass hole at the Royal Mail thought the envelope looked shiny stole it… What if I was just dreaming and never posted it back at all…”

Kinda wish I’d sent it recorded. I can’t wait to hear back from them though :) .

emski
May 4th, 2005, 06:06
Kinda wish I’d sent it recorded

I did. Lost the receipt.

As if my paranoia needed more fuel...

...doh

May 4th, 2005, 06:13
I sent in my reply recorded delivery (£3.50 - Royal Mail must love people applying to JET!), checked the receipt and still sent the JET Desk an e-mail to confirm. How paranoid must I be!?

Anyway, for anybody that wants to know they said that PROVISIONALLY the dates of the Pre Departure Orientation in London will be either the 4th & 5th July or the 6th & 7th July, depending on which departure group you get put into.

dendrite
May 4th, 2005, 06:36
I was a complete know-it-all and I scanned my reply forms and emailed them to the JET office as backup. I couldn't stand just dropping them into the mailbox!

cj
May 4th, 2005, 19:22
I presume that the next communication from JET will be the our placements or will they send an email for the poor buggers who keep thinking that their reply form didn't make it to the embassy beacuse of some freak Royal Mail accident?!

CJ

quasarsglow
July 14th, 2005, 14:32
Had a dream last night where I got an e-mail from the NYC Consulate and my BOE that the school I was assigned to has to close, so I was out of JET. In my dream I was frantically applying to various grad schools trying to get in because no one else in the world is stupid enough to hire me to do any kind of work.

Woke up feeling incredibly cheated until I realized that I had actually just received more information from the AJET folks telling me more stuff about where I'll be.

Stress takes many forms

Doomer
July 19th, 2005, 10:51
Had a dream last night where I got an e-mail from the NYC Consulate and my BOE that the school I was assigned to has to close, so I was out of JET. In my dream I was frantically applying to various grad schools trying to get in because no one else in the world is stupid enough to hire me to do any kind of work.

Woke up feeling incredibly cheated until I realized that I had actually just received more information from the AJET folks telling me more stuff about where I'll be.

Stress takes many forms

had a similar dream while i was on vacation....fortunatley i woke up screaming in the tent and realized it was all just a horrible nightmare...yes stress takes many a form...