PDA

View Full Version : Proof of Study Abroad

Neycourt
October 10th, 2014, 08:04
Hey guys, tried the search function but couldn't really find an accurate enough answer. I studied abroad in Tokyo during the summer of 2013, and also during the summer of this year at a Japanese language school. I received credit for my time there, and here is how it is listed on my transcript:

Summer 2014
FLJA 302 Adv Japanese Grammar II
Course Topic(s): Study Abroad: Japan

I left out the grades and credit hours and such because of formatting issues on this post. My transcript contains all the information regarding which classes I received credit for when I studied abroad, but does not list the name of the school or the school's actual program name. I also plan to include within my application packet scans of the certificate of completion I received on the last day of the programs I participated in. Will this be adequate as proof of study abroad, or should I work on getting actual transcripts from the school I studied at?

Thanks

frayedflower
October 10th, 2014, 13:43
I also did a summer program - I emailed the woman from the study abroad office who handled my program and told her what I needed, she produced the paperwork two days later. Maybe you could do something similar?

miamicoordinator
October 10th, 2014, 22:22
Hey guys, tried the search function but couldn't really find an accurate enough answer. I studied abroad in Tokyo during the summer of 2013, and also during the summer of this year at a Japanese language school. I received credit for my time there, and here is how it is listed on my transcript:

Summer 2014
FLJA 302 Adv Japanese Grammar II
Course Topic(s): Study Abroad: Japan

I left out the grades and credit hours and such because of formatting issues on this post. My transcript contains all the information regarding which classes I received credit for when I studied abroad, but does not list the name of the school or the school's actual program name. I also plan to include within my application packet scans of the certificate of completion I received on the last day of the programs I participated in. Will this be adequate as proof of study abroad, or should I work on getting actual transcripts from the school I studied at?

Thanks

Hello Neycourt,

The JET USA website does a pretty good job of explaining what you need in regards to Study Abroad Proof.

"Proof of Study Abroad
Living abroad shows that the JET applicant has the ability to adapt to long-term life in a foreign country. If you have undertaken a study abroad, please note it in the Application Form under the International / Intercultural section and provide proof. The JET Office understands that getting proof from foreign institutions can sometimes be difficult, so there are several items that will be accepted as proof:

Transcripts from the study abroad program:
Transcripts should show the names of the courses taken, dates attended (a semester/year, for example "Spring 2012," is also acceptable), and grades earned. The transcript should also clearly state where the study abroad occurred (city and/or country). Because transcripts from your study abroad may be difficult to obtain and materials submitted with the JET Application are not returned, a photocopy of the study abroad transcript will suffice.

Transcripts from your university:
If all of the required information request above is stated on your home university's transcript, this will fulfill the requirement. A second copy of the same transcript is not required. You may place a sticky note on the transcript to pinpoint the study abroad if you like, but this is not required. Please do not write on the transcript itself.

Letter from the university or study abroad program:
An official letter from your university or the study abroad program with the dates of the program, names of the courses taken, grades received and the name of the city and country where the program took place can act as proof. If your university transcript only mentions the name of the school where you completed your study abroad, you should also provide a letter with the information listed above to complete the proof."

You should be able to obtain the required information from your study abroad office with ease. It is always better to be safe than sorry when submitting documents. If you are concerned that your study abroad proof may not be adequate, contact the office and show them what JET requires.

-MC

Elysi
October 16th, 2014, 05:13
Jumping up in on this thread with my own question if you don't mind. Would providing multiple proofs of a study abroad be accepted? I have a certificate of completion from the university I studied abroad at, which covered 3 courses, but I only have a sheet that gives me a letter grade for my Japanese course during the study abroad. Would it be a good idea to include the certificate of completion, the "transcript" for my Japanese class, and a letter from my university? My official transcript only shows that the credit hours as transfer credits, no grades.

Shincantsen
October 16th, 2014, 07:04
It certainly won't hurt to include those things. If it turns out one or more of the documents are unnecessary, they'll just be put aside.

Penguee
October 16th, 2014, 09:03
Jumping up in on this thread with my own question if you don't mind. Would providing multiple proofs of a study abroad be accepted? I have a certificate of completion from the university I studied abroad at, which covered 3 courses, but I only have a sheet that gives me a letter grade for my Japanese course during the study abroad. Would it be a good idea to include the certificate of completion, the "transcript" for my Japanese class, and a letter from my university? My official transcript only shows that the credit hours as transfer credits, no grades.

If you re-read the part of the website that MC pasted, you only need the name, dates, places, and grades. I would think that the Certificate of Completion wouldn't be necessary. The transcript page and the sheet with the grades on it should be enough. You don't want to be someone who sends too much paperwork that then has to have thrown out, do you?

Elysi
October 17th, 2014, 16:58
If you re-read the part of the website that MC pasted, you only need the name, dates, places, and grades. I would think that the Certificate of Completion wouldn't be necessary. The transcript page and the sheet with the grades on it should be enough. You don't want to be someone who sends too much paperwork that then has to have thrown out, do you?

I think I have it sorted out now. I got a copy of the grade report that was sent to my university that has all of the required information, so I'll leave out the certificate of completion. I was just worried about having something official from the university. Thanks for the advice.

dbw146
November 5th, 2014, 04:44
I have a question concerning documentation as this may apply to other categories. If one uses a transcript for proof of study abroad, would that also fulfill the separate requirement of providing a transcript, or would I need an extra set of documents for that? In other words, would I need two original transcripts and four copies to cover both transcript and study abroad proof, or would one original and the two copies be sufficient?

JET ProgramCoordinator SF
November 5th, 2014, 09:21
I have a question concerning documentation as this may apply to other categories. If one uses a transcript for proof of study abroad, would that also fulfill the separate requirement of providing a transcript, or would I need an extra set of documents for that? In other words, would I need two original transcripts and four copies to cover both transcript and study abroad proof, or would one original and the two copies be sufficient?

Straight from the How to Apply page's info on Proof of Study Abroad:

Transcripts from your university:
If all of the required information request above is stated on your home university's transcript, this will fulfill the requirement. A second copy of the same transcript is not required. You may place a sticky note on the transcript to pinpoint the study abroad if you like, but this is not required. Please do not write on the transcript itself.

Viral
November 19th, 2014, 08:42
I have also completed a study abroad, but my exchange university has only given me one official transcript and I cannot request more. Also, I am a UK applicant so as far as I can see, there is no section for "study abroad" on the form - there is a section where you list your top 4 international experiences, however (where I have mentioned my study abroad). My home university has given me an official transcript for my study abroad, but nowhere does it state that it was taken abroad (the exchange university is not mentioned anywhere). Does anyone know if this matters?