PDA

View Full Version : Is Interac worth going for?

firemarth
October 18th, 2014, 14:37
So I went through the JET process for this last round, got placed as alternate, never got upgraded.

One night, I was drunk, and applied to Interac for the hell of it. Surprised today when they called me to start setting up interviews.

So I want to ask, is Interac a decent job, or should I just try running through the JET process again?

From everything I've seen, Interac is basically JET with less perks...

sharpinthefang
October 18th, 2014, 22:46
You hit it in one. If you want to come out here that badly, go for it.

word
October 18th, 2014, 23:10
If you aren't interested in saving money, have no real responsibilities, and just want to d*ck around in Japan for a while, then I'd say give it a go. You'll have a bit more choice where placement is concerned, in any case.

Zolrak 22
October 18th, 2014, 23:34
I imagine I'll end up applying should I fail to get on JET. The way I figured, I'm not gonna have a chance to travel like this once I start my masters so I might as well go for it.

firemarth
October 19th, 2014, 00:59
If you aren't interested in saving money

Well, I'm barely able to save money now, but I was looking at the Salary page on Interac's website, and there's a lot of deductions and things I'm required to pay.

Anyone have any idea or example of what the yearly salary looks like AFTER all these taxes and insurances are taken out?

Ark42
October 19th, 2014, 05:43
I don't know if all the private ALT companies are reputable, but I certainly plan to apply to Interact first. But not until after I know my JET application is all submitted and mailed away.
I have a few others bookmarked that I'll also apply to most likely, but I'd certainly prefer JET.

tobio
October 19th, 2014, 06:15
This may just because I've spoken to the right people at the right time but the general consensus I have received from friends is that ECC is better than Interac, though Interac seems like a more popular choice.

haitch40
October 19th, 2014, 06:55
This may just because I've spoken to the right people at the right time but the general consensus I have received from friends is that ECC is better than Interac, though Interac seems like a more popular choice.
Looking at their page it seems they offer a better deal. There must be a reason Interac is more popular though.

tobio
October 19th, 2014, 06:57
Might be because placements are better? I must admit that I have heard tons of horror stories about Interac but, once again, maybe just talking to the wrong crowd.

haitch40
October 19th, 2014, 07:50
Might be because placements are better? I must admit that I have heard tons of horror stories about Interac but, once again, maybe just talking to the wrong crowd.
I heard the hours at ECC are weird with you working quite late but meh. I don't mind late shifts if I can get up later.

zombiekelly
October 19th, 2014, 08:18
Well, I'm barely able to save money now, but I was looking at the Salary page on Interac's website, and there's a lot of deductions and things I'm required to pay.

Anyone have any idea or example of what the yearly salary looks like AFTER all these taxes and insurances are taken out?

Rent and car were taken out of my check automatically, so on full salary months I got about ¥150000. Food, electric, phone, gas, and petrol would have to come out of that, plus any train fare, clothing, entertainment, etc. The 60% month (August) was hell, the 75% (December) was manageable. April and March are pro-rated as well, though if you're leaving, March won't have any rent deducted. In return, you won't get your last paycheck until May when you're wherever you end up. You can get your Feb pay at the end of March, but if you're already out of the country they charge ¥5000 to send it overseas. You get the generous option to have Feb's pay sent with March at the start of May if you don't want to incur two ¥5000 fees.

Ark42
October 19th, 2014, 09:00
Isn't ECC an Eikaiwa, not an ALT placement? Still teaching English, but that's the reason the hours are going to be wonkier. I'm not 100% sure myself yet, but right now I'm only planning on applying to JET and other places that place ALTs in grade schools, like Interact, and maybe then Altia, Heart, or Borderlink.
If you're looking at Eikaiwa work, I think Nova and AEON are other big names like ECC worth looking into.

greyjoy
October 19th, 2014, 09:16
Was nova reborn from the ashes of a few years ago?

Ark42
October 19th, 2014, 09:50
I'm not sure on the details, but it collapsed in 2007 and was back in 2010. I think it's a different company, just using the same name.

therealwindycity
October 19th, 2014, 13:33
There are some direct-hire positions available that might pay better than interac - I would check Gaijinpot as well

word
October 20th, 2014, 09:36
Yeah; I'm direct-hire and my pay is comparable to most JETs--if you're in Japan already, direct-hire is usually the way to go. You often have to take what you can get as far as placements are concerned, but you can generally at least find something in a given prefecture. I got pretty lucky. More desirable positions (Tokyo, etc.) will pay significantly less and the competition will be intense.

mothy
October 20th, 2014, 09:41
Of course getting direct hire is usually best, but getting direct hired when not in Japan is rare. In fact I'd be suspicious of any school direct hiring someone not in Japan.

word
October 20th, 2014, 11:18
Of course getting direct hire is usually best, but getting direct hired when not in Japan is rare. In fact I'd be suspicious of any school direct hiring someone not in Japan.

word

I only know of one school that direct-hires ALTs from overseas, and they have some sort of program set up with this university in New York state. I would also be rather suspicious of a school offering to direct-hire an ALT outside of Japan.

johnny
October 22nd, 2014, 08:47
Yeah, I listen to a podcast that discusses many aspects of living in Japan, and the people being interviewed on one show talked about getting work as a direct hire when you live abroad. They said the most feasible way is to apply to an eikaiwa or dispatch company and look for a direct hire position once you arrive in Japan. Once you get your new gig, you quit the eikaiwa job.

It doesn't sound like a nice thing to do though.

Jiggit
October 22nd, 2014, 08:50
Yeah, I listen to a podcast that discusses many aspects of living in Japan, and the people being interviewed on one show talked about getting work as a direct hire when you live abroad. They said the most feasible way is to apply to an eikaiwa or dispatch company and look for a direct hire position once you arrive in Japan. Once you get your new gig, you quit the eikaiwa job.

It doesn't sound like a nice thing to do though.

It's an Eikaiwa company though. That'd be like calling someone a douche for kicking Kim Jong Il in the goolies.

Ark42
October 22nd, 2014, 09:03
It's an Eikaiwa company though. That'd be like calling someone a douche for kicking Kim Jong Il in the goolies.

Are all Eikaiwas really that bad?

Jiggit
October 22nd, 2014, 09:08
Eikaiwa companies have a deserved reputation for treating their employees like crap in a country which will generally treat foreigners like disposable goods if they think they can get away with it. Hell, there are plenty of JET nightmare stories out there and JET is considered to be one of the safest options.

haitch40
October 22nd, 2014, 09:28
Examples? What do you mean by treating employees like crap?

johnny
October 22nd, 2014, 09:40
Jiggit is right of course. They do bring mist of the scorn on themselves. Also, if you move here and the Eikaiwa actually treats you really well, you can always decide to serve the entirety of your contract. In the likely situation that you are screwed, you can then look to quit ASAP.

As for examples of mistreatment, it can get pretty bad. I've heard of companies telling their employees that they're not eligible for medical insurance just so they don't have to pay the employer's share of the health premiums.

Other examples are underpaying the employee and forcing unpaid overtime.

word
October 22nd, 2014, 10:09
Not providing insurance, not sponsoring visas (even outright encouraging immigration fraud), payment under the table, even entire companies disappearing without paying their employees, etc.

miamicoordinator
October 22nd, 2014, 11:13
Not providing insurance, not sponsoring visas (even outright encouraging immigration fraud), payment under the table, even entire companies disappearing without paying their employees, etc.

I remember the day at the office when i was still in the visa section and the denpo from tokyo arrived saying that we were no longer allowed to issue visas for NOVA employees, even if they had a certificate lf eligibility because of all the fraud and scandal. I had quite a few dissapointed people at my visa window who thought they were gonna move to japan in 2 weeks and i had to shatter those dreams.

Ark42
October 23rd, 2014, 07:56
I gotta say, now that I've sent in my JET application and have started filling out the form on Interac's website -- Interact certainly knows how to make a useable web form a lot more than that company JET uses to take care of their form.

Zolrak 22
October 23rd, 2014, 11:10
Changes are made faster (and more radical) when you evade government bureaucracy.

Jiggit
October 23rd, 2014, 11:33
Changes are made much more faster (and radical) when you evade government bureaucracy.

Yeah I find that with JET everything just goes so much more slowlierer.

Zolrak 22
October 23rd, 2014, 11:43
Yeah I find that with JET everything just goes so much more slowlierer.
Of course, but they can't be worse than the slowest slow-moving slow, those are much, much worse.

Terribly so.

[emoji28]

word
October 23rd, 2014, 12:56
The technical frustrations of applying to JET are a good primer for what you'll experience in Japanese schools, so revel in them.

Gizmotech
October 23rd, 2014, 13:02
The technical frustrations of applying to JET are a good primer for what you'll experience in Japanese schools, so revel in them.

Word

As for EIKAIWAs you also get the problem where you aren't a salaried employee and therefore may not have a stable income, especially around holidays. They're more stable than dispatch like interac but they can still fuck ya pretty hard if they want.

Ark42
October 23rd, 2014, 21:23
As for EIKAIWAs you also get the problem where you aren't a salaried employee and therefore may not have a stable income, especially around holidays. They're more stable than dispatch like interac but they can still fuck ya pretty hard if they want.

Oh, I have no problem dealing with these kinds of frustrations of bureaucracy. I've worked for the Government and other large companies in the past.

I thought Interac placed ALTs in schools similar to JET. What does "Dispatch" mean exactly?

word
October 23rd, 2014, 22:12
The Interac ALT near me is in a nearly identical situation when compared to most JETs. However, he does not answer to his BoE--he answers to Interac. It's a technicality that, ideally, shouldn't come into play much.

Ark42
October 23rd, 2014, 22:43
The Interac ALT near me is in a nearly identical situation when compared to most JETs. However, he does not answer to his BoE--he answers to Interac. It's a technicality that, ideally, shouldn't come into play much.

That's pretty much how I've understood it. I heard the pay is less and they don't cover your flight over, but frankly, neither of those matter to me at all. I'd be happy to go with Interac if JET doesn't select me. I'd prefer JET because I think they provide support in other ways where private companies will leave you to fend for yourself. Luckily though, the Internet will always be there to assist!

JET ProgramCoordinator SF
October 24th, 2014, 01:52
While the job may be comparable between Interac and JET, one of the best things about JET is the access to the JET Alumni Association post-JET. With 60,000 alumni worldwide (30,000 in the US) it's an amazing network to tap once you finish JET and are looking for work.

Though if you aren't selected to go on JET this year and are dead-set on being an ALT in Japan, Interac is one way to go. During my time on JET the JET community had brought most of the Interac JETs into our social group - we're all ALTs, after all!

Ark42
October 24th, 2014, 05:54
I would certainly prefer JET, but I am going to be an ALT next spring one way or another. I'm not selling my house and everything I own to wait around in an apartment another full year..... but I sure hope my house sells before I have to leave, that could really be unfortunate :(

Zolrak 22
October 24th, 2014, 05:57
So you are staying in Japan afterwards?

Selling your house seems a bit harsh if you are only staying for a year.

miamicoordinator
October 24th, 2014, 06:02
While the job may be comparable between Interac and JET, one of the best things about JET is the access to the JET Alumni Association post-JET. With 60,000 alumni worldwide (30,000 in the US) it's an amazing network to tap once you finish JET and are looking for work.

Though if you aren't selected to go on JET this year and are dead-set on being an ALT in Japan, Interac is one way to go. During my time on JET the JET community had brought most of the Interac JETs into our social group - we're all ALTs, after all!

Fancy seeing you here :P Somehow... I knew you'd be promoting JETAA :)

October 24th, 2014, 06:54
Fancy seeing you here :P Somehow... I knew you'd be promoting JETAA :)

Not many people are emailing or calling me with questions, so I have to go hunt them down myself :p

Ark42
October 24th, 2014, 07:08
So you are staying in Japan afterwards?

Selling your house seems a bit harsh if you are only staying for a year.

I'm certainly going into this with the assumption that I will love it and choose to renew for additional years. I have no set plan though for after JET / ALT. I'm certainly open to staying around in Japan if I get another job after being an ALT too.

And also, I've owned several houses over the last 12+ years since I graduated college. I'm kind of sick of it actually, and I've owned pretty nice/new houses that don't require lots of maintenance. Even if I didn't want to go to Japan at all, I'd still be pretty ready to just live in an apartment and not look back.

BeckyJones
October 24th, 2014, 08:16
I'm certainly going into this with the assumption that I will love it and choose to renew for additional years. I have no set plan though for after JET / ALT. I'm certainly open to staying around in Japan if I get another job after being an ALT too.

That honestly is a terrible idea.
The quickest way to have a bad time here, is to expect/assume you are going to love it here.

And also, I've owned several houses over the last 12+ years since I graduated college. I'm kind of sick of it actually, and I've owned pretty nice/new houses that don't require lots of maintenance. Even if I didn't want to go to Japan at all, I'd still be pretty ready to just live in an apartment and not look back.

k.... but why ruin a financial investment if you don't have to. Rent it. or something.

Ark42
October 24th, 2014, 08:28
That honestly is a terrible idea.
The quickest way to have a bad time here, is to expect/assume you are going to love it here.

I respectfully disagree. The alternate is to assume I'm going to hate it, and that does not seem like a good mindset to have.
Maybe my words come across differently in typing. Maybe it's just better to say I'm not ruling out staying for a 2nd year and beyond at this point in time, and I'm not fixing a specific plan of any kind for what I'm going to do or where I'm going to go after year 1.

k.... but why ruin a financial investment if you don't have to. Rent it. or something.

I bought this particular house at the bottom of the housing market, and it's actually gone up in value quite a lot in the past years. Right now is actually a good time to sell and make a big profit.

I have other financial investments like an IRA, which will continue to exist while I'm overseas.

I've rented out houses before. It is NOT something I want to do, ever again. Honestly I'm at a spot in my life, and my wife completely agrees here, where neither of us want to own a house. It doesn't really have anything to do with JET for either of us. We've thought about getting a 1 bedroom apartment somewhere for quite some time, we just never found any particular city in the US that we've loved enough to want to try out.

Jiggit
October 24th, 2014, 08:29
I'm certainly going into this with the assumption that I will love it and choose to renew for additional years.

That's crazy. It's fine to go in with the attitude that you're going to try to love it. But you can't assume you'll love it when there are so many variables. You might get the placement from hell, you might hate living in the middle of nowhere, you might hate living in a Japanese city, you might end up just not liking Japan very much.

If you're just going for a year then you can think of it like a big holiday and determine to enjoy it. But to stay for multiple years you'll have to actually like the country and you don't know what it's like yet. Like I said, it's a fine attitude to have personally, but to base your current financial decisions on it is really short-sighted.

Sorry if we sound harsh but remember we've seen a lot of ALTs before. The more people assume they know what Japan (and their placement) is going to be like, the more likely they are to bail out early when their expectations don't match the reality. Be optimistic, sure, but be open-minded and ready for the unexpected above all.

I respectfully disagree. The alternate is to assume I'm going to hate it, and that does not seem like a good mindset to have.

Becky has been an ALT in Japan twice, so don't be so quick to disagree with what he knows about the experience. As I said above, assuming anything about what your experience in Japan is going to be like is dumb. Just be hopeful and open-minded. Don't assume either way.

Ark42
October 24th, 2014, 08:33
That's crazy. It's fine to go in with the attitude that you're going to try to love it. But you can't assume you'll love it when there are so many variables. You might get the placement from hell, you might hate living in the middle of nowhere, you might hate living in a Japanese city, you might end up just not liking Japan very much.

I appreciate the advice, really. I think I just misrepresented my feeling in that post. Sure, 'try' is probably important. See my previous reply as well...

Jiggit
October 24th, 2014, 08:43
I appreciate the advice, really. I think I just misrepresented my feeling in that post. Sure, 'try' is probably important. See my previous reply as well...

The word "assume" is what sets off alarm bells. A lot of people have been extremely disappointed to find out Japan isn't like what they thought it was going to be like.

BeckyJones
October 24th, 2014, 08:51
Maybe my words come across differently in typing. Maybe it's just better to say I'm not ruling out staying for a 2nd year and beyond at this point in time, and I'm not fixing a specific plan of any kind for what I'm going to do or where I'm going to go after year 1.

I never said go into it with a negative perspective. Just realism mah dude. Japan and JET is a big unknown, you might end up here and after a month find out that you HATE everything about this place. I'm not saying you will, but it has happened more times than I'd like to count. Be flexible. The people who survive and the people who end up like me, and other long term people came here expecting an adventure. Good and bad. Not the ones who came to Japan because it was their dream place. Most of those people don't last a year.

I bought this particular house at the bottom of the housing market, and it's actually gone up in value quite a lot in the past years. Right now is actually a good time to sell and make a big profit.

I have other financial investments like an IRA, which will continue to exist while I'm overseas.

I've rented out houses before. It is NOT something I want to do, ever again. Honestly I'm at a spot in my life, and my wife completely agrees here, where neither of us want to own a house. It doesn't really have anything to do with JET for either of us. We've thought about getting a 1 bedroom apartment somewhere for quite some time, we just never found any particular city in the US that we've loved enough to want to try out.

you know. I can understand that. If you thought about it enought hat you would you do it anyways if you stayed stateside, then I say go ahead and do it. Owning a house isn't for everyone, and you sound like you know what you want and what to do about it. Hell, if you turn the house you can make a good profit... so can't argue with that.

sharpinthefang
October 24th, 2014, 16:04
I piggy back onto quite a few JET pages, but as SF said, we are all ALT's. Just be aware that if you do go for Interac and remain on these forums, you will be mocked for it at every oppertunity. (Espically by Jiggit and Ini). But if you get upset at how you are treated on forums you have to question your internet life... But if you do go, stay on these forums, and come on over to the lounge sometimes, we always went new people. Even if we can be an arse about it at times.
Do i get an award for trying to keep the site alive?

As for JETAA, I never see a lot of point in Allumini groups of any kind. I always find the people on there are always thinking about the 'good old days'

SomePeopleJustSaySnow
October 24th, 2014, 16:26
Do i get an award for trying to keep the site alive?

Nope, only if - like Jiggit - you actually extract money from them to pump into the great wheezing machine that is ITIL.

sharpinthefang
October 24th, 2014, 16:40
I donated! I have one award!

Ark42
October 24th, 2014, 20:54
Just be aware that if you do go for Interac and remain on these forums, you will be mocked for it at every oppertunity

Interac is basically a back-up plan. I want to give being an ALT a try and I'm determined to do it one way or another, so I pretty much have to have a backup plan with JET only having space for around 25% of the applicants.

October 25th, 2014, 02:35

Word of advice - have a plan for after JET. That's important to us. We ask you what your plans are after JET on the application as a separate question, we look for it in your essay, and we'll ask you at the interview. JET is a two-way street; one of the main ideas is that we go to Japan and teach English and foreign culture and learn Japanese and Japanese culture, then when we return to our home countries we share what we learned about Japan with our local communities. (Staying in Japan forever and continuing the cultural exchange there is great too.) Not only should you be helping the JET Program, but the JET Program should be helping you as an individual achieve your future goals. We want to see that your experience on JET is going to inform your future life path.

Saying that your plan for the future is JET raises red flags all around. For starters, there's a maximum 5-year cap on JET. Another reason is that not everyone enjoys their time on JET. Think of going on JET like going to college - while most people love their experience in the dorms and on campus, there are always people who hate their floor, hate their classes, and absolutely hate their college experience. I think the people that become the most anti-Japan are often the ones whose only aspiration is to go to Japan. Once they try living and working there and realize they don't like it, suddenly they're only goal in life tarnished and they have to do some serious soul searching. This can often result in anger and constant "phase 2-ing" of a JET. That's not to say that you fall under this category and have absolutely no other aspirations outside of JET - my point is, you have to articulate on your application and in your interview what it is your planning on doing after JET, and be sincere about it, otherwise you'll find it tougher for yourself to become accepted.

The JET Program screens and vets participants who then sign their contracts with the local governments across Japan. Although there are some similarities across all JETs (pay, insurance, etc.), there's a lot of variation that we can't control that can make or break your time on JET. Point is that we want you to have a plan for after JET, because at one point or another we're all going to leave the JET Program and become alumni, and we want to see that you will be an active, successful, contributing member to US-Japan relations.

Ark42
October 25th, 2014, 03:09
I see what you're saying. For me, the key point is that I have no *set* plan for after JET. I certainly have ideas. I'm a software developer, and I do have a bit of expertise in foreign language issues, character encoding, and display differences with regard to software design. I can certainly take what I learn in Japan and JET and go back to software someday, and use my experience for the better. I can also stay on JET for several years and move into other English jobs available in Japan. There are other possibilities too, the key point being that I'm keeping several things open right now, and will wait and see how things turn out.

haitch40
October 25th, 2014, 03:15
Word of advice - have a plan for after JET. That's important to us. We ask you what your plans are after JET on the application as a separate question, we look for it in your essay, and we'll ask you at the interview. JET is a two-way street; one of the main ideas is that we go to Japan and teach English and foreign culture and learn Japanese and Japanese culture, then when we return to our home countries we share what we learned about Japan with our local communities. (Staying in Japan forever and continuing the cultural exchange there is great too.) Not only should you be helping the JET Program, but the JET Program should be helping you as an individual achieve your future goals. We want to see that your experience on JET is going to inform your future life path.

Saying that your plan for the future is JET raises red flags all around. For starters, there's a maximum 5-year cap on JET. Another reason is that not everyone enjoys their time on JET. Think of going on JET like going to college - while most people love their experience in the dorms and on campus, there are always people who hate their floor, hate their classes, and absolutely hate their college experience. I think the people that become the most anti-Japan are often the ones whose only aspiration is to go to Japan. Once they try living and working there and realize they don't like it, suddenly they're only goal in life tarnished and they have to do some serious soul searching. This can often result in anger and constant "phase 2-ing" of a JET. That's not to say that you fall under this category and have absolutely no other aspirations outside of JET - my point is, you have to articulate on your application and in your interview what it is your planning on doing after JET, and be sincere about it, otherwise you'll find it tougher for yourself to become accepted.

The JET Program screens and vets participants who then sign their contracts with the local governments across Japan. Although there are some similarities across all JETs (pay, insurance, etc.), there's a lot of variation that we can't control that can make or break your time on JET. Point is that we want you to have a plan for after JET, because at one point or another we're all going to leave the JET Program and become alumni, and we want to see that you will be an active, successful, contributing member to US-Japan relations.
Wait. Saying you want to stay in Japan is ok? I thought that was an automatic "doesn't know the true experience and is likely to have a breakdown once they get here" indicator and thus a terrible thing to put on your application.
Lets face it though. The decision to stay is only one that you can really make once you are there.

Antonath
October 25th, 2014, 04:32
Wait. Saying you want to stay in Japan is ok? I thought that was an automatic "doesn't know the true experience and is likely to have a breakdown once they get here" indicator and thus a terrible thing to put on your application.
Lets face it though. The decision to stay is only one that you can really make once you are there.
It's an indicator to the grizzled, bitter veterans of popular internet bubble-bursting website ITIL, because most of the people we see with that "plan" are what SF said: they want to do JET, and then... a vague something, probably involving squeeing over the tea ceremony. If someone has an actual plan in the country beyond JET, then good luck to them.

haitch40
October 25th, 2014, 05:05
It's an indicator to the grizzled, bitter veterans of popular internet bubble-bursting website ITIL, because most of the people we see with that "plan" are what SF said: they want to do JET, and then... a vague something, probably involving squeeing over the tea ceremony. If someone has an actual plan in the country beyond JET, then good luck to them.
I actually do. I want to do something with the British embassy in Tokyo as that would satisfy my degree choice in Politics and International Relations as well. Getting a job there is going to be tougher than an overdone steak though.

Verbatim
October 25th, 2014, 05:42
I won't be applying to Interac because the FAQ pretty much gives an FU to spouses or other dependents that may be traveling with you. Is that really the best ALT alternative to JET?

miamicoordinator
October 25th, 2014, 05:50
I won't be applying to Interac because the FAQ pretty much gives an FU to spouses or other dependents that may be traveling with you. Is that really the best ALT alternative to JET?

That would depend on your definition of "best". Interac is definitely one of the most popular options for English teaching jobs, especially with the downfall of NOVA a few years ago. There are still other companies like ECC, and smaller Eikaiwa schools as well, but Interac is one of the top dogs at this momment. They know they will always have a healthy amount of applicants because many people who do not make it into JET will apply through them. There are always a couple JETs who only stay for 1 year on contract and switch to interact for their 2nd year because they want a better placement.

I don't think Interac really concerns themselves that much catering to married individuals because the majority of ALTs tend to be young'ish and single. I guess they see it as "Why bother dealing with dependents when 10 single Japanophiles are right behind them waiting for the same job"

sharpinthefang
October 25th, 2014, 08:45
That would depend on your definition of "best". Interac is definitely one of the most popular options for English teaching jobs, especially with the downfall of NOVA a few years ago. There are still other companies like ECC, and smaller Eikaiwa schools as well, but Interac is one of the top dogs at this momment. They know they will always have a healthy amount of applicants because many people who do not make it into JET will apply through them. There are always a couple JETs who only stay for 1 year on contract and switch to interact for their 2nd year because they want a better placement.

I don't think Interac really concerns themselves that much catering to married individuals because the majority of ALTs tend to be young'ish and single. I guess they see it as "Why bother dealing with dependents when 10 single Japanophiles are right behind them waiting for the same job"
My neighbours are also with Interac, and they applied together and were luckily placed together. But they are both on separate visas. Unless your partner is willing to work to, they wont carry you.
There is also quite a few single parents here, with children enrolled in local schools. It does happen, but as i said, both of you must be willing to work and be on separate visas.

Ark42
October 25th, 2014, 09:01

Interac called me today regarding my application from a couple days ago. They pretty much had two points to hammer home. 1) You're on your own as far as getting a spouse's visa and 2) Are you sure you won't reconsidering driving in Japan?

I pretty much feel like I just got denied already by Interac because I confirmed that I did not want to drive, although they did not explicitly say that. I think they currently only have very rural openings that require driving.

What are other people like me doing? Is anybody applying to JET, Interac, and more places, or would you stop at two? I'm considering just filling out more and more applications at more places. I don't think it can hurt really.

haitch40
October 25th, 2014, 09:02
I would apply to anywhere that gives me a decent wage to be honest. If it is rubbish then apply direct hire after.

sharpinthefang
October 25th, 2014, 09:10
Interac called me today regarding my application from a couple days ago. They pretty much had two points to hammer home. 1) You're on your own as far as getting a spouse's visa and 2) Are you sure you won't reconsidering driving in Japan?

I pretty much feel like I just got denied already by Interac because I confirmed that I did not want to drive, although they did not explicitly say that. I think they currently only have very rural openings that require driving.

What are other people like me doing? Is anybody applying to JET, Interac, and more places, or would you stop at two? I'm considering just filling out more and more applications at more places. I don't think it can hurt really.

Point 1. Read my post about spousal viasa.
Point 2. I have my IDP but i don't drive out here for the simple fact that the bus network works. But i got my IDP because you don't know where you could be placed and its the option. The majority of people don't need to drive but they have that option.

Zolrak 22
October 25th, 2014, 12:28
The optimal choice would be a company that handles the visa, the flight and has a similar wage to JET.

I'm aware the majority won't handle the flight payment, but a guy can dream, can't he?

sharpinthefang
October 25th, 2014, 20:49
The optimal choice would be a company that handles the visa, the flight and has a similar wage to JET.

I'm aware the majority won't handle the flight payment, but a guy can dream, can't he?
I believe that the only reason JET covers the flight is the fact that they are government backed.

Zolrak 22
October 26th, 2014, 02:20
Yeah, bad phrasing, by handle, I'm referring to at least refunding part of the costs.

The companies that actually do this are rare.

Which is why JET is such a good choice when you are applying from outside Japan.

mrcharisma
October 26th, 2014, 10:58

They did the right thing. You are flat-out refusing to undertake a basic lifeskill in Japan despite having the means to do it, so are marking yourself as potentially troublesome from the start.

We get it, you don't like driving, but sometimes we all have to do things we don't want to. It's called compromise.

Ark42
October 26th, 2014, 12:44
They did the right thing. You are flat-out refusing to undertake a basic lifeskill in Japan despite having the means to do it, so are marking yourself as potentially troublesome from the start.

We get it, you don't like driving, but sometimes we all have to do things we don't want to. It's called compromise.

I didn't say they actually denied me. I'm just advising other people in this thread that they went out of their way to try to get me to change my mind on that point. No need to be a complete and total asshole about it.

TweedPawn
October 26th, 2014, 12:58
Whoa, let's settle down a bit. >_>

SomePeopleJustSaySnow
October 26th, 2014, 14:32
Well, MrCharisma isn't really the settling down type. And despite my bleeding heart i-like-eveyone tendencies, I actually think he's right on the money. Japan values the homogenous, the ordinary and the familiar - coming to it saying 'I can't do x normal thing' gets you pity because you're a poor foreigner, but taking the attitude of 'I can do this thing but have decided I don't want to' makes those feelings evaporate like so much spilled pocari sweat on a hot day. It does mark you out as troublesome, no matter how reasonable it might seem to you.

sharpinthefang
October 26th, 2014, 15:59
I didn't say they actually denied me. I'm just advising other people in this thread that they went out of their way to try to get me to change my mind on that point. No need to be a complete and total asshole about it.
Actually, several times we have tried to help you and give advice from those who have been through the grind of applying, but each time you either ignore us or insult us. You have even ignored advice given by official JET co-ordinators believing that you know best.
It will be good if Interac deny you though as i have had it heard that they accept anyone and everyone. Would be nice for that to be proved untrue.

Antonath
October 26th, 2014, 17:10

therealwindycity
October 26th, 2014, 19:38
Well, MrCharisma isn't really the settling down type. And despite my bleeding heart i-like-eveyone tendencies, I actually think he's right on the money. Japan values the homogenous, the ordinary and the familiar - coming to it saying 'I can't do x normal thing' gets you pity because you're a poor foreigner, but taking the attitude of 'I can do this thing but have decided I don't want to' makes those feelings evaporate like so much spilled pocari sweat on a hot day. It does mark you out as troublesome, no matter how reasonable it might seem to you.

SomePeople hit the nail on the head - Japanese people often want you to offer to do stuff even if it's not technically in your job description, because then they don't have to ask you. Japanese offices run on people offering to do things they might not be required to/probably don't want to, and being willing to do extra is seen as a point on your application, I'm sure.

mrcharisma
October 26th, 2014, 20:26

If that's the only way to get you to listen that's what I'll have to do.

Driving is one of the most useful skills you'll ever learn. Refusing to drive because you don't enjoy it achieves nothing but a sharp drop in your employment prospects, as you seem to be finding out.

Be more flexible on this and you will be far more likely to find work in Japan and enjoy your time here.

therealwindycity
October 26th, 2014, 21:36
Ok guys, let's keep it civil - this horse has probably been beaten enough by now

Ark42
October 27th, 2014, 11:08
I knew they don't help with the spouse visa up front, and I'm certainly flexible on many other things. I was just posting about what I thought they seemed interested in telling me and spent more time on than some other topics, for the benefit of others here. The Interact recruiter that called certainly asked me about a lot of other mundane things.

Not really sure how I'm coming off with a "gimme mine" attitude though, because I certainly don't feel that way.

BeckyJones
October 27th, 2014, 11:17
I knew they don't help with the spouse visa up front, and I'm certainly flexible on many other things. I was just posting about what I thought they seemed interested in telling me and spent more time on than some other topics, for the benefit of others here. The Interact recruiter that called certainly asked me about a lot of other mundane things.

Not really sure how I'm coming off with a "gimme mine" attitude though, because I certainly don't feel that way.

so one of the mods deleted my comment, because they are stupid... anywho

you may not feel that way. But the point still stands, you and anyone really, isn't irreplaceable. They are testing the waters and seeing if you would be willing to drive, and are probably doing it to other applicants too. They'll pick the most flexible fit.

word
October 27th, 2014, 11:22
I think everything that needed to be said in this thread has been. The tone of much of the recent discussion has been rather inappropriate for Applying, so I'm going to lock this thread in an attempt to put a stop to it. If anyone would like to discuss application to Interact, driving in Japan, etc., please feel free to do so in another thread. Thanks! :D