PDA

View Full Version : Aspiring UK 2015 JETs

Pages : [1] 2 3

T.H.S.
October 18th, 2014, 22:28
Hello!

I've been collating my application folder over the last few weeks and am staring down the personal statement (SOP) at the minute!

Just wondering how we're all getting along?

Applications haven't opened yet and it's mid October. Was the UK process like this in previous years?

Waiting to get my hands on the medical forms to tick that off the list.

Good luck!

lewis90
October 20th, 2014, 16:38
Hey there!

I've just spent all night writing the personal statement that I've been putting off for months... I'm awful at writing those things! I hate how pompous and fake I end up sounding. How is yours coming along?

In previous years applications have opened sometime this week. It's usually pretty late in October so this is normal. Kinda wish they specified late October on their page though. I was eagerly refreshing the page October 1st too much

I'm eager to get the medical form and stuff ticked off as well! At first I thought they were going to be the easiest part to get but they're working out to be the most stressful part

daisychain
October 24th, 2014, 18:05
Hiya!

I applied a couple of years back and I seem to remember it being late September (but my memory is quite bad :3), but they have opened it later and later each year since.. All the more time for us to prepare :)

I've got all my medical stuff sorted early (yay) and statement is well underway. Currently harassing my colleagues to proof read it.

I know how you feel about sounding pompous! That's my biggest worry..

lewis90
October 24th, 2014, 21:27
From what I read in the American Aspiring thread it sounds like if the online application form has any errors they has to deal with a lot of bureaucracy before it can be changed and so slows down the process of going live.

By the way, how did your last application go daisy?

daisychain
October 24th, 2014, 21:48
That makes a lot of sense. Hopefully by the time we get it then, it should run smoothly.

My last application was successful, I was placed and supposed to be there in the 2013-2014 period but sadly had to withdraw before the leaving date due to personal reasons. They've confirmed they would be happy for me to reapply as it wasn't my fault, so I'm giving it another shot this year :) fingers crossed.

Have you applied before?

lewis90
October 25th, 2014, 20:59
Ah congratulations I guess but it sucks you didn't get to follow through with it.

Nope, this is is my first time applying so I'm pretty nervous about it all. While some people say interviews are nice I've heard some horror stories haha

daisychain
October 25th, 2014, 21:43
Thank you, it was a tough decision but the right one, I'm in a much better position to apply now I am hoping!

I heard all the horror stories too but from my experience, they were very pleasant and professional people, asked very nice questions that were appropriate to me and my experience, no 'trick questions' or anything like that. I was still absolutely terrified but it wasn't any where near as horrendous as other people had said theirs was!

Hugh Mann
October 26th, 2014, 03:19
God, this thread is dead. Not too surprising as the number of Brits who go to Japan is pitifully low. I think per capita we must have the lowest number of teachers over there. I remember speaking to some head honcho at the Edinburgh consulate a while back and he was telling me how low the numbers are for UK graduates going to Japan. I think their problem is that they have to compete with the EU and SE Asia to retain graduates wanting to live abroad and teach. I don't think I've ever met a British person outside of Tokyo before. I've met more random British people when I did inter-railing in Kazakhstan.

I might apply this year but I don't think I'll get a interview. I'm a little ambivalent about the whole thing and am leaning more towards China or Korea. The only thing angling me towards Japan is the fact that my fiancee lives in Japan. Lived in Tokyo for three years and have N1 but moved back to the UK after my brother got sick. Was moving towards CIR but I hardly use my Japanese in a professional capacity anymore and having known two of the four UK grads that went during my first application I know how retarded your Japanese level has to be. (Way higher than the recommended N2.)

I did one of the JET interviews about four years ago when I first graduated and even back then it was laughable. Certainly nothing compared to doing group interviews and the whole 2 day recruitment sessions you have to do for insurance jobs in the City. I got placed on the alternate list but turned it down in favour of doing something else non-teaching related. The only advice I can give you is to first downplay the whole dorky anime/manga stuff (sorry if that offends anyone) but again the people I know who get insta-rejected in the first round were those who were weeaboos basically. Nice people, but would I really want these people teaching my kids English? Fine to like it or whatever, but keep that stuff out of the application process and big up other international stuff. I think if you are young, female and 'genki' you can pretty much write your own plane-ticket.

Anyways if memory serves the application is normally out the last Friday in October which would be the 31st.

sharpinthefang
October 26th, 2014, 16:05
God, this thread is dead. Not too surprising as the number of Brits who go to Japan is pitifully low. I think per capita we must have the lowest number of teachers over there. I remember speaking to some head honcho at the Edinburgh consulate a while back and he was telling me how low the numbers are for UK graduates going to Japan. I think their problem is that they have to compete with the EU and SE Asia to retain graduates wanting to live abroad and teach. I don't think I've ever met a British person outside of Tokyo before. I've met more random British people when I did inter-railing in Kazakhstan.

I might apply this year but I don't think I'll get a interview. I'm a little ambivalent about the whole thing and am leaning more towards China or Korea. The only thing angling me towards Japan is the fact that my fiancee lives in Japan. Lived in Tokyo for three years and have N1 but moved back to the UK after my brother got sick. Was moving towards CIR but I hardly use my Japanese in a professional capacity anymore and having known two of the four UK grads that went during my first application I know how retarded your Japanese level has to be. (Way higher than the recommended N2.)

I did one of the JET interviews about four years ago when I first graduated and even back then it was laughable. Certainly nothing compared to doing group interviews and the whole 2 day recruitment sessions you have to do for insurance jobs in the City. I got placed on the alternate list but turned it down in favour of doing something else non-teaching related. The only advice I can give you is to first downplay the whole dorky anime/manga stuff (sorry if that offends anyone) but again the people I know who get insta-rejected in the first round were those who were weeaboos basically. Nice people, but would I really want these people teaching my kids English? Fine to like it or whatever, but keep that stuff out of the application process and big up other international stuff. I think if you are young, female and 'genki' you can pretty much write your own plane-ticket.

Anyways if memory serves the application is normally out the last Friday in October which would be the 31st.
HAHAHAH!!!
I live no where near Tokyo and can confirm that in the city i live in, the Brits outnumber every other nationality by about 3 to 1, and theres nearly 4,000 foreigners in this city.
And being young and female and genki does not automatically get you a plane ticket, perhaps it only appears that way because you were not accepted at first try with your amazing level of Japanese and Japanese fiancée.

daisychain
October 27th, 2014, 09:14
Funnily enough, I mentioned Pokemon in my statement and was given an interview :) but it was to explain my initial exposure to Japanese pop culture as a kid, and how that led to a wider interest in the country and culture as I got older. After that I mentioned nothing about anime/manga - the rest was my work experience and so on.

I think as long as you be yourself (and sensible about it - not coming across as you're a complete manga fan etc.) and be professional too, you'll be fine. Male or female - experience and a good attitude are what counts. I think it's the flexibility and ability to adapt that you have to get through in your statement.

Gizmotech
October 27th, 2014, 12:13
Funnily enough, I mentioned Pokemon in my statement and was given an interview :) but it was to explain my initial exposure to Japanese pop culture as a kid, and how that led to a wider interest in the country and culture as I got older. After that I mentioned nothing about anime/manga - the rest was my work experience and so on.

I think as long as you be yourself (and sensible about it - not coming across as you're a complete manga fan etc.) and be professional too, you'll be fine. Male or female - experience and a good attitude are what counts. I think it's the flexibility and ability to adapt that you have to get through in your statement.

That's a very sensible way to approach an interest in animation and more "pop" culture components of Japan. They can certainly be an initial interest driver that leads to something more, but there is a difference between that being an initial component of interest, and a current driving factor. I won't lie, I watched sailor moon and dragonball on tv when I was a kid and it definitely got my interest in Japan started (along with my friends CONSTANT talking about karate)

Shiro_Kuma
October 27th, 2014, 20:15
A heads up.. UK Applications are now open!

T.H.S.
October 28th, 2014, 00:42
I've only been loosely following the US applicant thread, but am I right in thinking this form has the similar problem of overrunning text not being visible on the printout? Does it print as what you see on screen or does it accommodate for more text that you'd scroll down to see online?

Shiro_Kuma
October 28th, 2014, 01:39
I've only been loosely following the US applicant thread, but am I right in thinking this form has the similar problem of overrunning text not being visible on the printout? Does it print as what you see on screen or does it accommodate for more text that you'd scroll down to see online?

The online web form had this issue where it was really difficult to make out if the text was being accommodated correctly last year (this also seems to be the trend this year). But the print out was just fine. I haven't printed out the forms for this year yet (probably sort everything out this Sunday) and will let you know if there are any problems.

Edit: Example of previous form... removed any data prevalent to me :) Form would scroll up and down as usual when columns were filled, but in the print spaced out just fine.

Tzvi
October 28th, 2014, 16:32
Good luck to all those replying. I have just been tweaking my sop from last year as it was pretty solid. Accomadating the fact I was an alternate last year and new work experience then just waiting on academic transcripts and I should be set

lewis90
October 29th, 2014, 07:56
Do any of you guys know exactly what the authorisation and release form lets them do or what they intend to use it for? It sounds like I'm giving them a free-for-all on my every bit of my personal information :p The "free from any and all liability of every nature" doesn't sound too nice either!

therealwindycity
October 29th, 2014, 10:04
I imagine it allows them to release your application to the final screening committee in Tokyo, who will show it to the Japanese education boards so they can decide if they'd like to hire you.

lewis90
October 29th, 2014, 10:14
Okay, thanks! Sounds reasonable. I had signed it anyway so I just wanted to know what I'd committed to.

daisychain
October 31st, 2014, 00:00
Good luck everyone!

Just wanted to check in - I'm filling in the education section and it says "Year and month of completion of upper secondary school"

What do they mean by 'upper secondary school' - I've never heard this term used before - do they mean GCSE's or A Levels?

Shiro_Kuma
October 31st, 2014, 00:44
It's the US term for Sixth Form in UK so A Levels :)

kmep0
October 31st, 2014, 06:03
Good luck to everyone! I'm struggling to fluff up my SoP with my limited foreign experience...

sharpinthefang
October 31st, 2014, 13:58
Don't so much focus on foreign experience ifyou don't have much, explain about what experience you do have and how it would benefit you. Also, look round the department heads at uni, they ofen run mentoring sessions for local secondary schools at this time of year. Join them and help out, thats relevant experience.

kmep0
October 31st, 2014, 20:10
Thanks! I'm trying to milk my recent travels - I just recently graduated! I don't have classroom experience but I'm talking a bit about my experience working as a tutor.

RainbowSheep
November 4th, 2014, 04:50
On the online application form it asks for "Present status with the name of the university attending or employer."
However, I graduated in June and I'm currently unemployed. What should I put in this section?

kmep0
November 4th, 2014, 09:03
Since I travelled after graduation and I don't really have a job either, I just put 'recent graduate'. It sounds a lot better than unemployed lol.

Gizmotech
November 4th, 2014, 12:44
Put unemployed. Just because it looks prettier doesn't mean they're gonna have a brain fart and go "ohh, so this person is awesome and hasn't decided on a job", they will just go "ohh look, more bs."

Honestly, the less crap the reviewer has to deal with in your application itself, the happier they will be when they have a few hundred (thousand) to evaluate.

SomePeopleJustSaySnow
November 4th, 2014, 13:29
Honestly, the less crap the reviewer has to deal with in your application itself, the happier they will be when they have a few hundred (thousand) to evaluate.

Seconded, thirded and fourthed - every time people write anything about themself they try to pretty it up, forgetting that the people you're sending this to are also humans. They're not going to sit there, intrigued, and put your application in a special pile for wonderful people. Unless that special pile doubles as a bin for people that can't talk about even the simplest thing without trying to feed them a line.

You may be a domestic engineer. You may be a recent graduate. You may be a prospective employee.

But you're also unemployed, and that's what they care about.

RainbowSheep
November 4th, 2014, 23:34
Thanks for the replies. I wasn't asking because I wanted to know how to pretty it up, I just wanted to know what to write as I didn't want to make a mistake.

:)

daisychain
November 6th, 2014, 20:30
How is everyone getting on? I will be glad when I finally finish my SOP and hand it all in! But then the agonising wait begins all over again >.<

Is it just me, or is anyone else not able to sign up to the official JET forums too? I wanted to have a nosey at what is going on there but have no sign up button!

greyjoy
November 6th, 2014, 20:33
The official forums closed earlier this year. This is now the official forum.

Gizmotech
November 6th, 2014, 21:33
This is now the unofficial forum. While official people post here, our information should not be considered official in any way.

T.H.S.
November 6th, 2014, 21:56
I remember reading somewhere that there is a list of all the places in Japan with placements. Did I imagine this? I was thinking earlier that I don't want to put down places as preferences if there are 0 or few placements there!

sharpinthefang
November 6th, 2014, 22:07
I remember reading somewhere that there is a list of all the places in Japan with placements. Did I imagine this? I was thinking earlier that I don't want to put down places as preferences if there are 0 or few placements there!
As re-contracting information has not yet been sent out (i believe), there is no way of knowing where placements will crop up. You get those that say to go home, you get those who stay and then change their minds and you then get those who truly stay.
We only comment when we know ALT's in the area that we meet with who are on 5th year/can't hack it any longer etc.

You also get BOE's that change company contracts, they might drop JET and go for Interac, vice versa or just do direct hires and save a little more money that way.

nanirae84
November 7th, 2014, 03:32
This doesn't tell you where there are open positions, but it does tell you the number of ALTs for the year and their locations: http://www.jetprogramme.org/documents/stats/2014_jet_stats_e.pdf

T.H.S.
November 9th, 2014, 22:37
Anyone else ran into the problem on the app form where text you've saved randomly just vanishes? Had to refill 1 of my 3 parts of international experience several times. Well within the word limit too.

My teacher training entry got deleted too! had saved it many saves ago too. Gotta watch out before final submission.

lewis90
November 9th, 2014, 23:14
When I was filling it in I had problems with the page timing out and pressing the save feature wiped everything. After that I decided not to rely on the save feature and just fill it out in one go. If you're filling it in in instalments I recommend doing it all at once without pressing save

Viral
November 19th, 2014, 06:01
Going to the drs tomorrow to get the medical info, but just realised something quite annoying. I need to fill out my self assessment form, but to do this I need to know what is on my record (so I need to see my dr). However, my dr needs to fill out the statement of physician, which can only be done once I complete the form and print it out. Surely there's some better system than this; do I really need to book two appointments with my dr?

arual
November 19th, 2014, 06:32
Going to the drs tomorrow to get the medical info, but just realised something quite annoying. I need to fill out my self assessment form, but to do this I need to know what is on my record (so I need to see my dr). However, my dr needs to fill out the statement of physician, which can only be done once I complete the form and print it out. Surely there's some better system than this; do I really need to book two appointments with my dr?

This might not apply if your medical history is extensive, but if you just need basic info about appointment dates and prescriptions you can call your doctor's office and the receptionist can tell you. I used to work at a practice with a lot of elderly patients so we got a lot of calls from people who knew they needed to renew a prescription but couldn't remember what it was ;)

Viral
November 19th, 2014, 06:43
Thank you :) . I managed to find the forms online after someone else in a couple topics down had the same query. So will print those off and see if they can fill it in tomorrow.

A couple more questions:

1) From Aug '13 to May '14 I was on a year exchange in Singapore. I visited the health centre twice for antimalarial pills (I was visiting places with high malaria risk). Now, is this something I should put on my form as it's not something I presume will have made itself over to my UK medical record?

2) Does the statement of physician need to be typed up, or can it be done by hand (seeing as it's most convenient for me to print it?). For this reason I also assume it does not need to be on headed paper?

3) On the form it asks how long you have been at your educational institution for. Is this at the time of writing, or by graduation? Also, as I spent a year in Singapore, do I remove 1 year from this, or just do the full 4 years (4 year course)?

Thanks!

T.H.S.
November 19th, 2014, 19:04

I thought this and then found all the forms here, you can print them all off at once before applying.

Japan Exchange and Teaching Programme UK - Register (http://www.jet-uk.org/apply/register.php)

arual
November 19th, 2014, 22:00
Thank you :) . I managed to find the forms online after someone else in a couple topics down had the same query. So will print those off and see if they can fill it in tomorrow.

A couple more questions:

1) From Aug '13 to May '14 I was on a year exchange in Singapore. I visited the health centre twice for antimalarial pills (I was visiting places with high malaria risk). Now, is this something I should put on my form as it's not something I presume will have made itself over to my UK medical record?

2) Does the statement of physician need to be typed up, or can it be done by hand (seeing as it's most convenient for me to print it?). For this reason I also assume it does not need to be on headed paper?

3) On the form it asks how long you have been at your educational institution for. Is this at the time of writing, or by graduation? Also, as I spent a year in Singapore, do I remove 1 year from this, or just do the full 4 years (4 year course)?

Thanks!

1) I was on exchange in Hong Kong and visited the uni health centre a few times and didn't mention it on my form. Everything was free so we just used to go to stock up on paracetamol for hangovers- didn't think this was worth mentioning :P If it's not on your UK record it might just complicate matters if they want you to chase it up with Singapore? Then again, they might expect you to mention antimalarial pills because they can have a lot of side-effects... I'm really not sure on this one I'm afraid.

2) I haven't seen anything about having to type it; I doubt they expect doctors to go to that much effort tbh.

3) I did it by graduation (as it asks your graduation date) and included my year abroad. You're still registered with your home uni during exchange, and they'll see where you went from your transcript and wherever else you mention it in the application (international experiences/personal statement etc). I didn't put 4 years though, I knocked off a few months to reflect the fact I'll be graduating in July.

Viral
November 19th, 2014, 22:30
Thanks again for your replies.

I've since spoken to my doctor, and she's being a pain. She's deciding herself that she won't write anything on my physician form and will just say "fit to work" and sign it, and she thinks that's worth £40... oh well, if I have to pay it, I have to pay it - but for £40 I would expect a full medical. She even told me to leave because I was wasting her time and she has real patients to deal with (8:40 in the morning at a university health clinic; there was no one else!). She seemed adamant that she new the process because she's been to Japan before and her husband is an academic in Japan... It really is annoying trying to explain things on a normal level with people who are self-absorbed!

Rant aside, things are looking up. My university has finally agreed that they will give me a transcript with my current modules - they wouldn't originally, and have said that they will never do so again. Now just to chase my referees, write my personal statement and I'm good to go! Oh and choose location preferences..

arual
November 19th, 2014, 22:36
I'm still waiting on my medical form as well- apparently I can't just make an appointment, I had to leave the form with reception and call back every day to see if it's ready... and now my doctor's off sick, the bloody nerve of him! It's also likely I'll have to pay but for some reason or other they can't tell me how much that'll be. So that'll be a nice surprise.

Also waiting on one more reference from one of my professors in Hong Kong; he'd originally sent it to the JET desk despite me sending him the guidelines and my home address... oh well...

Good luck!

Viral
November 19th, 2014, 23:44
Ahh that's a pain. I asked my referees quite late so I'm giving them till next week before politely 'checking up' on them. Good luck with your application too :) . Have you thought about location preferences yet?

arual
November 20th, 2014, 01:08
Yep, I went with Ehime Prefecture, Hokkaido and Fukuoka Prefecture!

T.H.S.
November 20th, 2014, 02:56
Guys, are any of you tempted to staple your multi page documents? (statement/app form print out). I think it would be handy but have heard people freak out over stapling before. The actual sets will be paperclipped of course.

Shiro_Kuma
November 20th, 2014, 07:42
With everything done, posted my application today. Let's hope everything works out.

Guys, are any of you tempted to staple your multi page documents? (statement/app form print out). I think it would be handy but have heard people freak out over stapling before. The actual sets will be paperclipped of course.

I remember reading somewhere that you do not staple any documents or put them in plastic wallets or sleeves as they may need to shuffle through it and considering the amount of pages stacked in the application, it's pretty hard to do so anyway. Paperclips may be okay though don't quote me on that.

Viral
November 20th, 2014, 08:16
Yeah, I remember it seeing somewhere not to staple, but specifically to use paper clips. Just went down to the stationary shop and got a box of paperclips and some post it notes for the occasion haha. It looks like I'll be cutting it fine with regards to the deadline though, so I'll probably end up going to the embassy on the last day and handing my form in - luckily for me my university is only a 5/10 min cycle away :P .

uthinkimlost?
November 20th, 2014, 08:17
Clips are fine in the us app.

arual
November 20th, 2014, 09:58

Straight from the horse's mouth: 'A paperclip would be fine but please avoid stapling documents together.'

I'd asked the same thing because my academic transcript is quite long.

daisychain
November 20th, 2014, 20:29
I remember paper clipping mine and popping them into individual wallet/sleeves so that my packs were separate.. They were okay with this before but I am a bit over-organised :) haa...

Just waiting for one more reference :< he is taking his time. I asked him in September. He said he'd do it this week. Still waiting..

Viral
November 21st, 2014, 21:12
Does anyone know how best to apply with a girlfriend/ boyfriend? Do you list them as a 'partner' on your application form? Should you mention them in your personal statement?

Antonath
November 21st, 2014, 21:22
Does anyone know how best to apply with a girlfriend/ boyfriend? Do you list them as a 'partner' on your application form? Should you mention them in your personal statement?
Boyfriend / girlfriend does not count as partner. That's for those who would bring their spouse over on a dependant's visa. Even engagement doesn't count, only marriage. You could mention them in your statement, sure, but they would have to find their own way of getting out here (interac, JET, etc), with no guarantee of being in the same area of Japan.

RainbowSheep
November 24th, 2014, 20:58
So I've done absolutely everything now apart from photocopying my academic transcript. I asked my university to stamp and sign it but they have gone and stamped the envelope it came in.

When I spoke to the JET desk a few days ago he said it should be stamped if it doesn't have a hologram on the transcript, however my transcript has been embossed. And on my transcript it says "This transcript is only valid when embossed with "xxx University on page 1".
Will this be acceptable?

therealwindycity
November 24th, 2014, 21:58
I'm sure that will be fine.

RainbowSheep
November 25th, 2014, 07:08
I'm sure that will be fine.

Thanks for replying :) :)

Viral
November 25th, 2014, 09:28
Can someone confirm that the UK personal statement does NOT have a 2 page limit? The only rules I can find are:

This is your personal statement of between 800 and 1000 words. Your essay must be:
word-processed
printed on A4 paper
font size 12
double-spaced

And with those specs I'm looking at around 3 full pages...

sharpinthefang
November 25th, 2014, 11:43
Can someone confirm that the UK personal statement does NOT have a 2 page limit? The only rules I can find are:

[/B]And with those specs I'm looking at around 3 full pages...
What on earth are you waffling on about? Think of it as a cover letter/cv. Would employers really want to read 3 pages of waffle when they have thousands of applications to go through?

Jiggit
November 25th, 2014, 12:18
What on earth are you waggling on about? Think of it as a cover letter/cv. Would employers really want to read 3 pages of waffle when they have thousands of applications to go through?

I would take sharknadowang's advice, she knows all about failing the JET application.

SomePeopleJustSaySnow
November 25th, 2014, 12:21
I would take sharknadowang's advice, she knows all about failing the JET application.

*Sad trumpet sound*

uthinkimlost?
November 25th, 2014, 12:25

[/B]And with those specs I'm looking at around 3 full pages...

I've checked a lot of UK sops, and from what I've seen you're only concerned with word count.

Lots of odd formatting from some, though.

Jiggit
November 25th, 2014, 12:35
Remember UK applications don't necessarily have any links with US applications. They will be processed separately. Don't read info in the US thread and assume it applies to your application or vice versa.

Also don't call it a Statement of Purpose if you're from the UK. It's a personal statement.

sharpinthefang
November 25th, 2014, 14:26
Love you too jugs

Viral
November 26th, 2014, 03:04
Thanks. Just called the JET desk to confirm. No page limit. 4 pages is about right (~1000 words double spaced).

On that note, anyone kind enough to take a quick peek at my statement :r ?

Lorenzo
November 27th, 2014, 17:54
Bit annoyed.

Just submitted my application, and before I did so, I made utterly sure that everything was completely perfect and in order. However, after I submitted (and it was definitely after - this didn't appear on the preview page before you did submit), several hyphens on the Self-Assessed Medical Form have been transformed in some weird formatting error to be question marks. This makes portions of it a little intelligible, and, of course, now I've submitted, I can't do anything about it.

For example, the start of the answer to the question:

Have you ever been treated for any nervous or mental disorders (including, but not limited to anxiety, depression, ADD, ADHD and eating disorders)?

Should be:

Yes - I was diagnosed with depression in...

However, it reads:

Yes ? I was diagnosed with depression in...

They're going to think I'm a fucking lunatic. Anyone else had this issue? Think I should let them know somehow?

arual
November 27th, 2014, 23:35
Don't worry- it sounds like what happened to me, my link didn't work properly so I could only print off a shitty HTML version rather than the nicely formatted PDF. I phoned them and they said this has happened to quite a few people and that it's totally fine to send it in the "wrong" format we've been given. It should show up fine on the online submitted version anyway. :)

Viral
November 29th, 2014, 08:17
Yeah same with me Lorenzo. Some of my speech marks got changed to ? marks. Now for the waiting game (in the hope that the guy outside the embassy passed on my application...).

Lorenzo
November 30th, 2014, 07:05
That's relieving! And yeah, Viral, the security guard would have passed it along the next time he went inside, so no worries there. He'll have been receiving applications all day, most likely.

arual
December 2nd, 2014, 19:06
Anyone know how long it usually takes to get your self-addressed envelope back? I posted mine next day delivery so it should have arrived on the 27th. Obviously they'll be dealing with a ton of applications so I don't expect it right away but it'd be nice to know ;)

Viral
December 2nd, 2014, 19:19
Deadline was 28th so there's probably a tower of applications before yours that will be reviewed first. Mine was given to the embassy an hour before the deadline though xD .

daisychain
December 2nd, 2014, 19:42
Deadline was 28th so there's probably a tower of applications before yours that will be reviewed first. Mine was given to the embassy an hour before the deadline though xD .

An hour before! Living life on the edge xD

Lorenzo
December 7th, 2014, 09:09
I got my envelope back today, and I gave mine in on the 27th.

Actually, I was going to ask something regarding the envelope. I read in an another thread that they enclose an application number (or some sort of number) inside the envelope, and, at the beginning of January, a list of numbers is posted on the website, and if you have a match with the number sent to you, you have an interview.

Does this not apply to the UK, or is that just not true? My returned envelope was empty (it was just given a JET stamp on the outside).

arual
December 7th, 2014, 09:27
I got my envelope yesterday, just empty but stamped like yours. I assume the UK has a different system... perhaps consulting an assortment of star charts, or sacrificing a goat under the full moon.

lewis90
December 7th, 2014, 11:05
It says on the site that you enclose a self addressed envelope so they can send it back to you to confirm they have received it. That was the only purpose of it in the UK. It's just their way of stopping people having to spend more on tracked postage

sharpinthefang
December 7th, 2014, 11:56
When you get an interview you will be emailed about it. Its a different system to the US one.
EDIT: the self addressed envelope was for them to send back to you so that you know that they have received your application, nothing more.

Lorenzo
December 7th, 2014, 12:20
Alright, thanks guys.

Viral
December 8th, 2014, 02:03
Also, on the application itself we have an application ID. I'll assume for now that that's what will be published next year.

Jamie Solo
December 8th, 2014, 05:41
Nothing gets 'published' in the UK. At least it didn't last year. You'll all be e-mailed over the course of around 6 weeks with interview dates or commiserations. With letters following on in the post.

sharpinthefang
December 8th, 2014, 11:08
Please remember that there are differences between the US and UK applications. The only reason you need to know your ID number is incase you need to call them and change any information, no other reason. You will be emailed. I suggest saving the UK jet office email into your safe senders list.

endlesseverpresent
December 30th, 2014, 23:32
I sent my application pack by next day delivery with signature confirmation. I saw the signature confirmation on the Royal Mail website but never received my self-addressed envelope. Im worried that it might have been sent to wrong place or left somewhere. Since people who sent their applications after mine have already got their envelopes back, I'm a bit worried. Has anyone not got theirs back yet?

T.H.S.
December 31st, 2014, 02:30
definitely send them an e-mail to clarify, I got my envelope back 2-3days after I sent mine in way back in November.

endlesseverpresent
December 31st, 2014, 02:33
Thanks, i will email them. Im scared that they will tell me they never received it and I can't do anything about it.

kmep0
December 31st, 2014, 05:22
Thanks, i will email them. Im scared that they will tell me they never received it and I can't do anything about it.

Out of curiosity, who was the person that signed for your application?

endlesseverpresent
December 31st, 2014, 05:32
Out of curiosity, who was the person that signed for your application?
It was signed by someone with the name 'Hudson'

kmep0
December 31st, 2014, 06:37
It was signed by someone with the name 'Hudson'

Mine was signed by Steve. I didn't put a self-addressed envelope in my application, because I thought seeing someone sign for it was enough confirmation for me. Maybe they saw your application was signed for and felt no need to send the self-addressed envelope? :confused:

endlesseverpresent
December 31st, 2014, 09:14
Mine was signed by Steve. I didn't put a self-addressed envelope in my application, because I thought seeing someone sign for it was enough confirmation for me. Maybe they saw your application was signed for and felt no need to send the self-addressed envelope? :confused:
Yes I suppose that could be true. I emailed them so hopefully they will clarify.

Viral
December 31st, 2014, 09:39
Also, their holiday leave probably starts quite early in december and may not have processed your application before returning next year.

sharpinthefang
January 1st, 2015, 14:16
You may have put a self addressed item in, but did you stamp it? If you didn't thats why.

endlesseverpresent
January 3rd, 2015, 08:42
Yep I did put a stamp on it. The reason why I worried is because someone on the previous page said they handed it in on the 27th ( presumably meaning they handed it in personally) and received their envelope a few days later. So that would mean they still would send the envelope even if you hand it in personally or by recorded delivery. I emailed them about it so hopefully I will hear back soon.

daisychain
January 5th, 2015, 18:01
Happy new year everyone! JET desk has officially re-opened.. not long now, good luck to you all!
:^_^:

Viral
January 6th, 2015, 14:19
Anyone heard back yet?

daisychain
January 6th, 2015, 18:23
Still waiting! I guess if those with earlier deadlines are just about hearing now, we could expect to hear next week?

OtherPulse
January 6th, 2015, 20:00
Some people last year got emails on the 7th, so I guess it can happen as early as that?

Luckily it's exam season at university (never thought I'd be saying that), so I'm being kept busy atm.

Gizmotech
January 6th, 2015, 21:27
They should be soon. Interviews are earlier this year.

T.H.S.
January 6th, 2015, 22:43
Got an e-mail and letter! Brace yourselves.

OtherPulse
January 6th, 2015, 22:55
You got your email and letter on the same day? That's organised.
Well, the fun waiting period has officially begun then. Going to be freezing a bit every time I hear my phone go of.

Edit: Woops, and congratulations!

Viral
January 6th, 2015, 23:23
Yep I got 2 more weeks of exams so I'm definitely being kept busy! Congrats T.H.S :) . Will we also get correspondence if we are not given an interview?

Frap
January 7th, 2015, 03:50
Got an e-mail and letter! Brace yourselves.

Just to confirm, this is in the UK, right?

Yep I got 2 more weeks of exams so I'm definitely being kept busy! Congrats T.H.S :) . Will we also get correspondence if we are not given an interview?

I'm quite sure they let you know either way.

T.H.S.
January 7th, 2015, 03:57
Yep UK. I handed my app in really early so this might be why some of you haven't got yours yet. That is, if it is done by which ones were at the front of the pile = first etc.

OtherPulse
January 7th, 2015, 05:00
I reckon they just send them out in batches regardless of when they were handed in tbh. I'm jealous that you got the wait over quickly though! Good luck with your interview!

kmep0
January 7th, 2015, 06:26
I reckon they just send them out in batches regardless of when they were handed in tbh. I'm jealous that you got the wait over quickly though! Good luck with your interview!

I hope so, if they don't then it's pretty dire for me since I applied on the 8th of November! Congrats T.H.S!

RainbowSheep
January 7th, 2015, 07:24
Got an email today! I have been accepted for an interview!!
Best of luck to everyone else :)

Shiro_Kuma
January 7th, 2015, 07:41
Ah and it all begins! Good luck to all who got interviews already.

I just got back from holidays so I had totally forgotten about the interview period. And as many others, exams will keep me busy as heck :D

T.H.S.
January 7th, 2015, 08:01
Keep your calendar open, they are quite rigid about the interview slot. It says in plain black and white "if you can't make it to this slot [that they have prescribed] you are removed from the process". I don't think even an exam is a good enough reason.

Shiro_Kuma
January 7th, 2015, 08:26
I believe unless you haven't stated in the application your exam dates, they won't be accommodating about it. Luckily for me it's my language exams so they are landing on the weekends. At least that's what they did last year

Viral
January 7th, 2015, 09:35
When are your interview dates? I have exams up until the 19th but did not know the dates by the JET deadline =\ .

RainbowSheep
January 7th, 2015, 09:41
When are your interview dates? I have exams up until the 19th but did not know the dates by the JET deadline =\ .

My interview is the 16th January.

OtherPulse
January 7th, 2015, 19:16
Oh so they don't give two weeks notice any more?
Like Viral I didn't know my exam dates till recently either. I have one exam on the 12th, and one exam on the 19th, so I'll have to hope it's not on those days...

RainbowSheep
January 7th, 2015, 19:25
Oh so they don't give two weeks notice any more?
Like Viral I didn't know my exam dates till recently either. I have one exam on the 12th, and one exam on the 19th, so I'll have to hope it's not on those days...

Well, it actually states on the JET website "A maximum of 14 days notice will be given for candidates invited to interview."

OtherPulse
January 7th, 2015, 19:54
Yeah but all the candidates last year got 2 weeks. Although I guess the entire procedure is faster this year though.

Oh well, no sense worrying as I haven't even got an interview yet.

daisychain
January 7th, 2015, 20:06
Congrats to all with interviews so far! Remember to practice before! :)
I'm still waiting :< I wish I had more to do at work atm so I could take my mind off of the wait.. I just want an answer either way, haa~

Viral
January 7th, 2015, 22:39
Yeah it does seem a little unreasonable how strict they are with it. Oh well, same position as you - haven't heard back yet. All I can hope for is to get an interview, and to be notified later down the line :P . Their twitter account says they'll be notifying everyone over the next 6 weeks.

OtherPulse
January 7th, 2015, 22:46
I can understand them needing to be strict though; just gotta hope for the best.

I was hoping to get an email today, but if RainbowSheep's email was yesterday and his/her interview is on the 16th, that could mean that the interview would be scheduled for the 19th. So in a way part of me is dreading to receive an email today haha.

It's all just speculation at the moment, though. I don't know if I even have an interview, let alone when it could be scheduled, so I'm not going to get ahead of myself.

Lorenzo
January 8th, 2015, 07:04
Yeah, I haven't heard anything yet either. I had a friend last year though who wasn't called to interview until almost mid February, and he got alternate, so I wouldn't be agonising over your inbox just yet.

RainbowSheep
January 9th, 2015, 02:07
So, just another update. I received my letter this morning. It specifies on the letter that you will be asked to complete a short Japanese language test if you have stated that your level is higher than elementary (leading me to regret my decision to tick intermediate...)
It doesn't seem that many other people have heard back from JET yet?

OtherPulse
January 9th, 2015, 02:14
I haven't heard anything back yet. Still plenty of time though.
I know ITIL represents only a fraction of applicants, but I'm surprised no one seems to have received anything beyond the first day.

daisychain
January 9th, 2015, 03:02
Oh wow, good luck! Japanese test sounds scary, I got scared enough with the English test before, who knows why!
I am surprised too actually! Although yes, still plenty of time! It's horrible waiting xD

enlight85
January 9th, 2015, 03:33
Hello all,

Early applicant here too! However, no contact yet from JET. I'm really curious to know how they arrange the selection process though. First applicaton in gets first contact? Preferred applicants first? Totally random?

Still, I really hope I hear something tomorrow, my attention span is pretty low at the minute! I think my application has more negatives than positives though, so partially expect a rejection letter;

Older
Married
Current management occupation

Everything I've read suggests these are 3 red flags...

Viral
January 9th, 2015, 04:37
I think I put down elementary. God hope I didn't put anything higher x_x. And yeah seems a bit weird that not many people are hearing back, but there are few people here and the results are being distributed over a course of 6 weeks :r .

emperor_ing
January 9th, 2015, 05:41
Hi all. I've received nothing yet, but I didn't get my application completed until the final day so if it is on first-in basis then I'm prepared to wait; gives more time to prepare I guess. My Japanese level is elementary so hopefully no test for me, although coming from them I think it's a wise move to make sure you know what you say you know. Good luck to those getting the early interviews anyway!

RainbowSheep
January 9th, 2015, 06:29
The interviews definitely aren't given first to those who handed in their applications first. Mine didn't arrive at the embassy until the 26th November

It's most likely completely random.

sharpinthefang
January 9th, 2015, 09:10
There will be multiple people going over applications, last year I know that there was a delay as they ran out of envelopes to send our letters out for. They could not just run down the shop to get more, they had to be ordered through official channels.

Viral
January 9th, 2015, 20:58
Yep, last day applicant here as well. Although I know it has no effect, I really hope this delays my response as well xD . I now have that anxiety that I forgot to sign something on one of the 9k+ pieces of paper x_x .

OtherPulse
January 9th, 2015, 23:34
I think we all fear that :P
I'm not a huge fan of this staggered release system. I understand why they do it, but I'd rather just have one day where all the results are released.

Ah well, beyond our control.

Coonskincap
January 10th, 2015, 00:51
Just got my reply in the mail! :) Though it appears to have been... maligned by someone during postage.

Also, in the confirmation email they called me Ms., so I'm already having fun and we haven't got to the interview stage yet. ;)

OtherPulse
January 10th, 2015, 01:10
Congratulations, Coonskincap!
When is your interview scheduled for?

Coonskincap
January 10th, 2015, 01:18
16th of January. Same as rainbowsheep's I think?

OtherPulse
January 10th, 2015, 01:54
I just got an email confirming an interview for the 20th! So a day after my last exam. Feel like I dodged a bullet there haha.

Tomonster
January 10th, 2015, 06:27
Mines on the 16th too and mine was almost certainly one of the last ones in. Should I be worried about this English test or is it something just to check you can understand English in person?

OtherPulse
January 10th, 2015, 09:16
From what I understand it's a multiple choice ordeal. I have no first hand experience, but threads in the archives indicate it's nothing to stress about.

Shiro_Kuma
January 10th, 2015, 20:00
English test is pretty straight forward, nothing to worry about there. Can't remember if it was a multiple choice last year though.

Sunshine_Anomie
January 10th, 2015, 22:13
English test is pretty straight forward, nothing to worry about there. Can't remember if it was a multiple choice last year though.

Hi I applied last year too. It was put punctuation into a sentence and which word is different from the three others.

I had my interview on 7/2/14 and didn't here until two weeks before on the 22nd so don't worry about not getting an interview yet (I still haven't heard back and I've applied for early departure).

arual
January 13th, 2015, 19:43
Just got my letter today- interview next Friday! Guess I need to go shopping for some formalwear then...

Lorenzo
January 13th, 2015, 21:18
Sweet, I got an interview. Thursday 22nd for me. Good luck guys, see you there.

kmep0
January 13th, 2015, 21:54
Congratulations to everyone who managed to get an interview so far! I do wish JET UK would give out interview information like the US, rather than drag out the process and keep people stringing along before the disappointment, but such is the British way.

I'm also guessing rejection letters are sent out right at the very end of the process, rather than sending them out at the same time as the interview letters, to fully bring home the feeling of being fucked over.

Boy it's good to vent!:lol:

OtherPulse
January 13th, 2015, 22:03
Don't stress, kmep0. There's still plenty of time, we're only in the second week of notifications. :)

Viral
January 14th, 2015, 04:07
Neither myself or my gf have a reply yet :( . Starting to get the feeling they didn't receive my application :r .

daisychain
January 14th, 2015, 04:20
Neither myself or my gf have a reply yet :( . Starting to get the feeling they didn't receive my application :r .

Same for me and my boyfriend, Viral. But we handed ours in directly. I'm sure it arrived for you :( it just really is a long waiting process

Viral
January 14th, 2015, 05:54
I handed it in too, but not directly, went through someone on the outside. I'm sure it's there, but just getting very anxious :P . Eagerly awaiting that rejection email so I can just stop with the wait :P .

enlight85
January 14th, 2015, 08:54
I handed it in too, but not directly, went through someone on the outside. I'm sure it's there, but just getting very anxious :P . Eagerly awaiting that rejection email so I can just stop with the wait :P .

Worry not, even though almost everyone I've spoken to online had already been invited to interview, I've not given up hope yet! Keep the faith. I'm still waiting too ... any day now...

n107
January 14th, 2015, 10:46
Had a conversation with one of the bosses at the BOE and they said the next ALT to come in this summer will be from the UK. So perhaps someone in this thread will be my new coworker in a few months.

Still a a long way to go but once you start getting accepted, post some info and I'll get early word out to the new ALT if he or she is here. Good luck to you all.

Viral
January 14th, 2015, 22:54
Where are you currently located?

retro
January 15th, 2015, 00:11
Hey everyone, congrats to those who've received interviews so far!
I'm one of those who hasn't heard back yet, how many of us are there?? Thought I'd make an account so we can suffer together :lol:

AltDimension
January 15th, 2015, 00:53
I'm still waiting to hear back one way or another.

Perhaps worth noting that last year I didn't get a notification until the 22nd Jan after getting my application in during the 1st week of November.

daisychain
January 15th, 2015, 01:01
Hey hey welcome to the club! :<
Still waiting! Did you get an interview last year AltDimension?

Jamie Solo
January 15th, 2015, 01:06
I'm still waiting to hear back and last year I had my interview notification on the 8th of January. There really is no 'order' as such. So stop stressing and do something to fill your time. No point in driving yourself crazy!

enlight85
January 15th, 2015, 01:08
Hey everyone, congrats to those who've received interviews so far!
I'm one of those who hasn't heard back yet, how many of us are there?? Thought I'd make an account so we can suffer together :lol:

Reporting in as one of the people that haven't heard back yet. We can start a small country!

endlesseverpresent
January 15th, 2015, 01:16
I still haven't heard back yet but we are only in the second of the 6 weeks. Im assuming the interviews are sent in random batches at the beginning of each week.

Shiro_Kuma
January 15th, 2015, 01:19
I'm still waiting to hear back and last year I had my interview notification on the 8th of January. There really is no 'order' as such. So stop stressing and do something to fill your time. No point in driving yourself crazy!

Ah nice to see a familiar face! Glad you are trying again Jamie. And yeah I remember getting the notice early last year at the same time.

But yeah, no need to stress out if you haven't heard, it's only the first week :lol:

Or in my case, take the stress out in the ring with my Muay Thai sparring partner :D

Tzvi
January 15th, 2015, 01:25
Hi I'm in the same boat, heard on the 6th of Jan last year but still no word now. I still have an interac assessment on the 24th so I have a backup at least.

Viral
January 15th, 2015, 02:07
Got my interview date today; 24th of Jan. Good luck to everyone else, and all at the interview stage :) .

Jamie Solo
January 15th, 2015, 19:48
Ah nice to see a familiar face! Glad you are trying again Jamie. And yeah I remember getting the notice early last year at the same time.

But yeah, no need to stress out if you haven't heard, it's only the first week :lol:

Or in my case, take the stress out in the ring with my Muay Thai sparring partner :D

I've been more of a lurker this time around but it has been good to see some familiar faces as well! Hopefully this year ;)

Rmtcts
January 15th, 2015, 20:09
Applying for the first time, got an interview for the 26th. Feeling alright about it, does anyone know what the shortlist rate for the UK is?

AltDimension
January 15th, 2015, 20:35
Hey hey welcome to the club! :<
Still waiting! Did you get an interview last year AltDimension?

Yep, ended up as an alternate last year.

Shiro_Kuma
January 15th, 2015, 21:05
I've been more of a lurker this time around but it has been good to see some familiar faces as well! Hopefully this year ;)

Yeah same, considering we know roughly the process. :D

n107
January 15th, 2015, 21:26
Where are you currently located?

Kagoshima

emperor_ing
January 16th, 2015, 03:38
Received my interview notification today. Wednesday 28th at Edinburgh. Happy now, just need to make sure I'm fully prepared.

Coonskincap
January 16th, 2015, 05:35
Currently chilling at a hotel. I've gone over everything in my personal statement, had a mock interview, researched my placement, lost my tie and shirt on the way here (thx London Underground), bought a new tie and shirt. The only thing left is to actually take the damn interview! Roll on tomorrow!

AngeSim12
January 16th, 2015, 05:40
Currently chilling at a hotel. I've gone over everything in my personal statement, had a mock interview, researched my placement, lost my tie and shirt on the way here (thx London Underground), bought a new tie and shirt. The only thing left is to actually take the damn interview! Roll on tomorrow!

Good luck! :)

OtherPulse
January 16th, 2015, 05:43
Goodluck, Coonskincap.

Lorenzo
January 16th, 2015, 05:52
Good luck man! I'm sure you'll do great.

Oh, I have a question actually. Obviously, you will be asked about your application in the interview, but are these questions likely to just derive from what you've written in your personal statement, or could they be based on your answers to the online application questions as well? I'm guessing both, but it'd be sweet if someone can clarify.

daisychain
January 16th, 2015, 07:04
I remember being asked some interesting questions actually! They asked me specific questions about my job, they asked me some theoretical ones about working, and handling homesickness (How would you handle a class of X amount of kids) and a couple of things about literature - what books would I recommend to someone to read and why.

Good luck! You'll be fine.

Coonskincap
January 16th, 2015, 17:43
If anyone else is being interviewed this morning, I'm the black guy in the slate suit with a blue tie. Let's chat!

enlight85
January 16th, 2015, 18:30
If anyone else is being interviewed this morning, I'm the black guy in the slate suit with a blue tie. Let's chat!

Not heard anything about my application yet, but the very best of luck this morning with your interview!

Let us all know how it goes.

Viral
January 16th, 2015, 21:26
Good luck with everyone's interviews. I also dodged a bullet getting mine a week after my last exam, so should have some time to prepare for it. Does anyone know whether we will be asked to do a mock lesson, or is that a US only thing?

RainbowSheep
January 17th, 2015, 21:35
So, after that disaster of an interview yesterday I can promise you all one less competitor for a place on the JET programme.
Currently tired and travelling but if anyone wants to ask me any questions then I will be online later or tomorrow night :)

sharpinthefang
January 17th, 2015, 21:39
So, after that disaster of an interview yesterday I can promise you all one less competitor for a place on the JET programme.
Currently tired and travelling but if anyone wants to ask me any questions then I will be online later or tomorrow night :)
It can't have gone that badly, could it?

OtherPulse
January 17th, 2015, 21:41
Hey RainbowSheep,

Reading through some of the threads in the archives, some people felt their interview was a disaster and still got in, so don't abandon hope. :)
I know it's an annoying cliche to hear, but there's nothing you can do now. Just try and forget about it, and maybe you'll be surprised in April.

Lorenzo
January 17th, 2015, 21:48
I'm sorry to hear that man. What happened?

T.H.S.
January 17th, 2015, 22:43
I think mine went badly too, out of any potential question set they asked me ones that I couldn't improvise an answer to that well. Although I think I had some high points with 1 of the interviewers. Probably put it at about 50/50 - which is likely to induce a bipolar disorder by the time they announce the results!

Btw is it April or May? Couldn't remember what the lady said because I was too busy computing what just happened to me haha.

I'm a bit apprehensive to share specifics this soon, given that the previous ALTs who help out with the interviews are probably wise to this place. Just chill out, I felt that if I hadn't been counting down to the day and was just an un-invested stranger plucked off the streets I'd have answered everything a lot better.

edit: Had some interesting words on the grammar test too haha

Zolrak 22
January 17th, 2015, 22:44
I felt that if I hadn't been counting down to the day and was just an uninvested stranger plucked off the streets I'd have answered everything a lot better.

Can't be that bad, the interview is about yourself after all. [emoji6]

T.H.S.
January 17th, 2015, 22:53
Lol, that sentence does look very miserable on it's own. Overall I'd say I'm 50/50 - enough to shake me into forming a better plan B and C now. Btw did anybody else hang out in that Pret down the road from the embassy? I saw a couple of suited young guys loitering with 1 coffee for several hours alongside me

Viral
January 17th, 2015, 23:02
Don't worry too much! It's never going to go amazingly, so any good point is something to keep your hopes up in my opinion. Plus, as someone else said, many people who had outrageously bad interview ended up going in the past, so it's just the waiting game now *shrugs*.

Interesting words, as in, difficult? I'm actually worried about the grammar test, seeing as the past 6 years of my life have only contained mathematics and physics, I'm not exactly sure what the 'general' consensus of 'easy' actually means :P .

T.H.S.
January 17th, 2015, 23:07
To be honest, it is redundant. They would get a better sense of your grammar and spelling from your application.

The words are "exotic" English words that I have never even heard used on BBC Parliament. The sort that if a kid asked you, you'd simply google it and tell him within 10 seconds what it meant and then also tell him that nobody ever uses it so forget it. I wouldn't be surprised if knowing obscure maths or physics terminology actually helped you here!

Apart from that, it is like something from year 6 - probably an indication that it is more of a test of you being able to mark a year 6's work within 5 minutes (efficiency over proficiency)

OtherPulse
January 17th, 2015, 23:10
Glad to hear your interview went okay, T.H.S. No one leaves an interview feeling it went perfect, so if you have some points that you thought went well, then that's a good sign. ;)

Did you do the Japanese speaking test? That's the only part I'm worried about.

T.H.S.
January 17th, 2015, 23:13
I only put down beginner on the form, I don't think they'd have had the time or patience to try and get any Japanese out of me lol. Not sure what they do for the people who are a higher level.

OtherPulse
January 17th, 2015, 23:18
People are saying it's nothing to worry about, but I still want information. :P

Thanks for sharing your experience, though. I'm sure it helps all of us with interviews to come.

RainbowSheep
January 18th, 2015, 01:33
The grammar test was so easy, multiple choice spellings, correct a paragraph of spelling and punctuation mistakes, explain the different nuances between the two sentences, and give simple definitions of words that everyone should at least recognise.

the chat which the ex-JET was really pleasant. I was able to be my usual friendly, chatty self with her. I didn't actually ask any questions, we both reminisced about our year abroad in Tokyo. However, when it came to interview my mind went blank and I was unable to form coherent sentences or speak with any sort of eloquence. I came off as socially inept, even though I was fine up until that point... Which obviously makes them think that I can't deal with pressure. Even though I could give presentations in front of large classes while at university.

And the Japanese part of the interview was just embarrassing. Every single bit of Japanese I've learned over the last few years abandoned me.

I didn't start crying or anything and I kept cheerful throughout the interview but there is no way I made a good impression.

the ex-JET whose job it was to escort me around the embassy said that the paper applications still hold some weight...but....ah well.

i thought that if I failed this time round then I would give up because it's obvious I'm not what JET is looking for, but I'm angry because I wasn't able to show them what I'm really like.

And wow was that the fastest fifteen minutes of my life.

Sorry, post is a bit ramble but I didn't know what part of it to focus on. But that's the gist of it.

Tomonster
January 18th, 2015, 01:48
Currently tired and travelling but if anyone wants to ask me any questions then I will be online later or tomorrow night :) Thats how I felt after leaving. I spent far too long double checking my answers on the English test and didn't finish. I found the interview ok but I didn't get to sell myself how I wanted. Don't worry though, your paper application sounds promising if you had a year abroad and at least you didn't turn up nearly two hours early to interview like one especially keen guy I met.

enlight85
January 18th, 2015, 04:03
So as an aspiring JET who hasn't received any kind of notification via email or post, is it now safe to assume that all interview slots have been filled? The letter sending period has been going on for a couple of weeks here.

I don't know how many UK applicants get invited, or how many are interviewed per day or even how long the interviews 'go on' for. From the sounds of the successful peoplemhere, most interview dates are over a week long period? It's all patchy and my opinions have been largely...made up so far. Maybe someone who has previously been invited will know or even someone involved in the scheme?

Any opinions from more established members would be greatly appreciated!

Sunshine_Anomie
January 18th, 2015, 04:16
So as an aspiring JET who hasn't received any kind of notification via email or post, is it now safe to assume that all interview slots have been filled? The letter sending period has been going on for a couple of weeks here.

I applied last year, got a letter on the 22nd and interviewed on the the 7/2/14 and so you won't know if you didn't get in until the finished 6 weeks have passed and you've received the rejection letter.

kmep0
January 18th, 2015, 05:38
Don't stress, kmep0. There's still plenty of time, we're only in the second week of notifications. :)

Hehe, thanks Pulse.

Well done to the people who already interviewed, even if you felt it went badly, as long as you gave the best answers you could have in the situation on that day - you did good.

I hope the rest of us hear something in the next couple of weeks, what are peoples' back up plans? I'm thinking Interac if I don't snag an interview.

Zolrak 22
January 18th, 2015, 05:44
I hope the rest of us hear something in the next couple of weeks, what are peoples' back up plans? I'm thinking Interac if I don't snag an interview.

We got a lovely Interac "representative" among us, I'm sure she'd be happy to answer any questions. As she's done so in the past.

(click on the next quote to read a thread related to Interac)

That is mostly right

Gizmotech
January 18th, 2015, 07:45
The reason the grammar test contains exotic, unused English is because Japan teaches a lot of this shit.

sharpinthefang
January 18th, 2015, 09:19
We got a lovely Interac "representative" among us, I'm sure she'd be happy to answer any questions. As she's done so in the past.

Thanks Zol,
Yeah I am willing to answer all Interac questions for people. The only reason I chose Interac over Jet is because they said yes to me first and I had to move out of my place early due to the tenancy being up.

sharpinthefang
January 18th, 2015, 09:19
The reason the grammar test contains exotic, unused English is because Japan teaches a lot of this shit.
But I have not yet had to teach the word turpid to anyone...

Zolrak 22
January 18th, 2015, 09:24
The only reason I chose Interac over Jet is because they said yes to me first and I had to move out of my place early due to the tenancy being up.

That's the part you are supposed to keep on the down low. [emoji29]

You are supposed to say something like,
"I realized I preferred Interac's training and attention to detail! "

Or something like that. [emoji6]

sharpinthefang
January 18th, 2015, 09:28
That's the part you are supposed to keep on the down low. [emoji29]

You are supposed to say something like,
"I realized I preferred Interac's training and attention to detail! "

Or something like that. [emoji6]

Nah, I don't toe the party line.

uthinkimlost?
January 18th, 2015, 09:29
But I have not yet had to teach the word turpid to anyone...

Congrats, you don't teach SHS. Probably not permitted to due to your moral turpitude.

sharpinthefang
January 18th, 2015, 09:34
Congrats, you don't teach SHS. Probably not permitted to due to your moral turpitude.
I'm not a bunny boiler, sorry.

daisychain
January 18th, 2015, 19:55
I got a letter this weekend with interview confirmation!

OtherPulse
January 18th, 2015, 20:11
Congrats, daisychain. :)

PuddingHead
January 18th, 2015, 22:57

Wonderful news!

Lorenzo
January 19th, 2015, 08:16
Anyone else here interviewing this Thursday?

Coonskincap
January 19th, 2015, 11:05

Nice! Good luck friend!

prazza
January 19th, 2015, 20:35
Those who've had interview invites: were you alerted by post, email, or both?

sharpinthefang
January 19th, 2015, 22:00
Last year I was notified via email and then post a few days later.

Viral
January 19th, 2015, 22:01
Both. Email one day, mail the next. Still a lot of people waiting though so fret not :) .

prazza
January 19th, 2015, 23:12
Thanks for the info. :) Not fretting yet, but it's good to know I can stay on top of any replies while I'm away from home for a while.

Lorenzo
January 20th, 2015, 02:54
Quick question guys. I've put down 'Introductory' for everything regarding my Japanese ability. Do you think I'll be tested? As far as I know they only test Elementary and above, but I wanted to check considering a few of you have had your interviews. I can remember hiragana, how to say my name, hello, how are you, and that's about it.

Zolrak 22
January 20th, 2015, 06:50
I can remember hiragana, how to say my name, hello, how are you, and that's about it.

"Are you well?"

" Yes, I am well."

"Hello, I am Lorenzo"

"Where is the bathroom? "

" How much is this? "

Stuff like that? [emoji14]

kmep0
January 20th, 2015, 06:53

Thanks Zolrak and Sharp, I'm going to wait and make sure JET have stuck two fingers up at me before I board the Interac train!

Zolrak 22
January 20th, 2015, 06:59
Thanks Zolrak and Sharp, I'm going to wait and make sure JET have stuck two fingers up at me before I board the Interac train!
Smart move.

No offense to Interac, but the free flight and possibility of subsided housing is just too tempting. [emoji6]

(And no need to thank me, I didn't do anything [emoji14])

OtherPulse
January 20th, 2015, 08:12
Well, seems like I'm next in line for the interviews. I'll let you guys know how I get on tomorrow. ;)

Liamers
January 20th, 2015, 09:08
best of luck pulse!

sharpinthefang
January 20th, 2015, 09:38
Smart move.

No offense to Interac, but the free flight and possibly of subsided housing is just too tempting. [emoji6]

(And no need to thank me, I didn't do anything [emoji14])
I can fully understand, only reason I went for Interac is the the earlier departure which I needed at the time.

Lorenzo
January 20th, 2015, 09:52
"Are you well?"

" Yes, I am well."

"Hello, I am Lorenzo"

"Where is the bathroom? "

" How much is this? "

Stuff like that? [emoji14]

Ha, even less than that. I doubt it should be an issue.

And good luck Pulse! I'm sure you'll do great.

endlesseverpresent
January 20th, 2015, 09:59
Quick question to the people who received an interview. Did you get the confirmation email on monday or another weekday?

PuddingHead
January 20th, 2015, 11:07
Well, seems like I'm next in line for the interviews. I'll let you guys know how I get on tomorrow. ;)

Kill it, yo.

OtherPulse
January 20th, 2015, 21:48
Sitting in a cafe now after my interview.
That was such a rush lol. I feel like it went okay. They told me I was confident, but perhaps I overdid it. There was also some questions I buggered up, and the Japanese section wasn't great. But on the whole I feel okay with my performance. Not great, but not bad.

Lorenzo
January 20th, 2015, 22:04
Sounds like it went well! Nicely done man.

Zolrak 22
January 20th, 2015, 22:50
but perhaps I overdid it. There was also some questions I buggered up, and the Japanese section wasn't great.

Too much horsing around?

I'm sure you did fine. [emoji6]

OtherPulse
January 20th, 2015, 23:53
It certainly could have gone better, but I also think it could of gone much worse. I honestly have no idea how well it went, so the wait till April is going to be agonising. :P

arual
January 21st, 2015, 09:21
Has anyone had to do a role play/lesson idea?

emperor_ing
January 21st, 2015, 16:10
Has anyone had to do a role play/lesson idea?
Good question, this would be handy to know.

After some deliberation as you may have seen I have decided to take the interview anyway; I just hope that I haven't left it too late to reply (I received the letter last Thursday, interview is next Wednesday). Also weirdly I did not receive an email despite my address being correct on the form and having corresponded with the JET Desk previously.

Just waiting for confirmation then I can book train tickets to Edinburgh.

Also what format have people been doing their passport sized photographs? I never really use those daft photo booths and have always done the photo at home, or used an actual photo studio (like for my proper passport photo).

Shiro_Kuma
January 22nd, 2015, 00:28
Good question, this would be handy to know.

After some deliberation as you may have seen I have decided to take the interview anyway; I just hope that I haven't left it too late to reply (I received the letter last Thursday, interview is next Wednesday). Also weirdly I did not receive an email despite my address being correct on the form and having corresponded with the JET Desk previously.

Just waiting for confirmation then I can book train tickets to Edinburgh.

Also what format have people been doing their passport sized photographs? I never really use those daft photo booths and have always done the photo at home, or used an actual photo studio (like for my proper passport photo).

I usually go to a photo shop like Snappy Snaps or Jessops, but standard passport size is 45mm high by 35mm wide.
Placement of the face is a requirement as well so I honestly would suggest to go have it snapped in a store. Plus there are also requirements of not having glasses, ears to be showing (if you have long hair) and many other things on top.

I don't pay more than £3 for a set of 4 so it's not really breaking my back. Plus it comes in handy for any license or passport renewals in the near future.

Oh, as for roleplaying for classroom lessons, I never was asked about teaching examples in my interview last year so I can't give a definitive answer. There are some lesson planning sub forums on here so have a sneak peak there to get some ideas.

emperor_ing
January 22nd, 2015, 06:17
I usually go to a photo shop like Snappy Snaps or Jessops, but standard passport size is 45mm high by 35mm wide.
Placement of the face is a requirement as well so I honestly would suggest to go have it snapped in a store. Plus there are also requirements of not having glasses, ears to be showing (if you have long hair) and many other things on top.

I don't pay more than £3 for a set of 4 so it's not really breaking my back. Plus it comes in handy for any license or passport renewals in the near future.

Thanks for that suggestion. Never heard of Snappy Snaps but there's a Jessops not too far away so I may try there.

arual
January 22nd, 2015, 06:48
I have some photobooth ID pictures so I'll use one of them. I assume they'll be used to non-smiling photos because of the UK passport regulations but I'm worried I look a bit murderous!

Also emperor_ing, I didn't get an email either, just the letter (but they did reply to my confirmation email so it's all fine). I'm Edinburgh as well so maybe it's to do with that, for some reason?

emperor_ing
January 22nd, 2015, 06:56
Also emperor_ing, I didn't get an email either, just the letter (but they did reply to my confirmation email so it's all fine). I'm Edinburgh as well so maybe it's to do with that, for some reason?

Strange that. But yeah no problems with confirmation. I did ask for them to check that they had the right email address, but they just sent out the templated reply with no mention of any issue, so I assume it's fine.

sharpinthefang
January 22nd, 2015, 12:00
Use snappy snaps, but if you do you need to call and let them know in advance so they can get the sizes right. Sometimes they need to order in advance the size charts/template things.

Lorenzo
January 22nd, 2015, 21:56
Pretty sure that went badly. I was way too nervous and it was obvious. Some of my answers were nonsensical and I made two stupid spelling errors on the grammar test due to the nerves.

Oh well, at least I can put it out of my mind.

AltDimension
January 22nd, 2015, 22:30
Interview!
Got a letter in the post, but no email - which is odd (I had an email before I got a letter last year).

enlight85
January 22nd, 2015, 22:46
Interview!
Got a letter in the post, but no email - which is odd (I had an email before I got a letter last year).

YES! It's messages like these that keep me hanging on! Haha.

Hopefully, if I didn't trounce my application, then I am still in with a chance of receiving an invite...

Cutting it fine though :S

Congratulations!

Rmtcts
January 22nd, 2015, 22:46
Anyone else have an interview Monday? I'll be finishing my prep soon, so any last words of advice?

AltDimension
January 22nd, 2015, 22:52
YES! It's messages like these that keep me hanging on! Haha.

Hopefully, if I didn't trounce my application, then I am still in with a chance of receiving an invite...

Cutting it fine though :S

Congratulations!
Thanks,

Hold on in there! We're only 3 weeks in of the 6 weeks of notifications.

anakha3263
January 23rd, 2015, 02:26
I got my interview set up for Thursday 29th... got the letter yesterday. xD Pretty psyched.
Just like a bunch of you guys, no e-mail but got a letter sent to both my Permanent Address and my Student Address. Though the student one came a day later.
My dad opened the one at my permanent one, he's excited about having somewhere new to go on holiday.

I wasn't really all that sure I'd even get an interview as a final year student on a very unrelated BSc.

Tzvi
January 23rd, 2015, 03:01
Well I got my rejection letter today. Guess the interac seminar on saturday is my last hope. Better make sure I know what to do.

Zolrak 22
January 23rd, 2015, 03:20
Well I got my rejection letter today. Guess the interac seminar on saturday is my last hope. Better make sure I know what to do.
Don't lose hope, I'm sure you'll do fine.

retro
January 23rd, 2015, 04:05
Sorry to hear that, Tzvi. Good luck with Interac!

I'm guessing they send out all the rejection letters at the end, so I'm expecting mine tomorrow I guess...

Tzvi
January 23rd, 2015, 05:06
Thanks its more frustration than anything. i was an alternate last year but I have been so busy this year I had little time to improve my application, they may have thought it was too similar.

SomePeopleJustSaySnow
January 23rd, 2015, 18:06
I wasn't really all that sure I'd even get an interview as a final year student on a very unrelated BSc.

How unrelated is very unrelated?

Shiro_Kuma
January 23rd, 2015, 19:39

Sorry to hear that, definitely the best of luck for the Interac seminar.

I still haven't heard anything so I don't know whether that is a good or a bad sign yet. :|

enlight85
January 23rd, 2015, 20:35
Thanks its more frustration than anything. i was an alternate last year but I have been so busy this year I had little time to improve my application, they may have thought it was too similar.

Hey, at least you know, and you still have a really positive opportunity with Interac so all the best there!

No news is good news on my end, so far. But definitely wish I'd hear either way - haha.

Still, now you can relax this weekend?!

kmep0
January 23rd, 2015, 21:19
Still no response on my end either, good luck with Interac Tzvi - I may be boarding that train too if JET don't relish the chance to snap me up! No way in heck will I be waiting a year to try again for JET! They can shove it.

I'm sure your interview went fine Lorenzo and congratulations with the interview Alt, although it's funny you got it the same time you did last year. Some coincidence!

OtherPulse
January 23rd, 2015, 21:49
All of us who had interviews seem to be expressing disappointment in how they turned out, so take that as a good sign that it's normal to feel that!

For those of you who haven't heard anything yet, there's still plenty of time. Take this moment to practice being British ambassadors by practising to keep your chin up and maintaining a stiff upper lip. :P

RainbowSheep
January 24th, 2015, 00:19
Pretty sure that went badly. I was way too nervous and it was obvious. Some of my answers were nonsensical and I made two stupid spelling errors on the grammar test due to the nerves.

Oh well, at least I can put it out of my mind.

I doubt it could have gone worse than mine, if that makes you feel any better :)

I think it's the waiting until April that makes the whole deal harder. For the most part it is on the back of my mind, however when I do remember about the interview and how bad it went I just wish I could know now.

daisychain
January 25th, 2015, 05:01
Don't lose hope guys..I hope you hear either way soon so that you can prepare, or make alternative plans. The worst is definitely waiting for some kind of answer. And at least there are plenty of other ways, and advice, on how to look into things other than JET.

Im trying to not overload on practicing but it's hard to not think about it approaching. Then it's the long wait for interview results.

anakha3263
January 25th, 2015, 23:53
How unrelated is very unrelated?

BSc Computer Games Development. Covers Software Engineering, Web Development... all sorts. So I have lots of backup plans at least.

emperor_ing
January 26th, 2015, 01:40
BSc Computer Games Development. Covers Software Engineering, Web Development... all sorts. So I have lots of backup plans at least.

I done games programming at uni and I got an interview, although I have done a lot of stuff Japanese culture related outside of my profession.

webstaa
January 26th, 2015, 09:28

If you have Japanese language ability, there are a good number of software dev jobs (as well as general IT jobs) available in Japan. So if you get into JET or go Interac, you might be able to find a position in Japan in your actual field...

As opposed to the real useless degrees...

anakha3263
January 26th, 2015, 10:38
Whilst I'm still awake, I'm grabbing a new suit tomorrow. Is there any preferred colour or cut? As much as an American cut looks good, it's not great for arm movements.

I have thought about backup plans that involve computing, but as some here might also share, it's nice to take a break from it and hand write stuff for a change.

Viral
January 26th, 2015, 21:57
Just had my interview, I think it went relatively well (was prepared for all of their questions luckily) but I absolutely failed that English test. I so wish I was an American now! For those who don't know, it is only 5 minutes long, and is a full page of questions with some weird words that I don't believe I have ever seen... Oh well, hopefully they can look past that, but as it's for an English teaching job, I doubt it.

It seems there are always two candidates who have the same interview time, not really sure why. Either way, good luck to those who have yet to have their interview. Read the "monster post" topic in this forum, and jot down answers to all of the questions - it will really help!

uthinkimlost?
January 26th, 2015, 21:58
Do you remember the words?

Rmtcts
January 27th, 2015, 00:31
Just my interview, which only had two interviewees strangely.
think it went well, but only lasted ten minutes, anyone know if this is cause for concern?

haitch40
January 27th, 2015, 00:50
Just my interview, which only had two interviewees strangely.
think it went well, but only lasted ten minutes, anyone know if this is cause for concern?
My friend last year had a 15 minute interview exactly. To the point they were clock watching.

He is now in Japan.

RainbowSheep
January 27th, 2015, 01:06
Starting to think that I got a really easy grammar test at this point...

But to help those who might be fretting about their performance in the grammar test; My friend was accepted on to the JET programme last year. However, she got a call after receiving her shortlist letter recommending that she buy a few books on English grammar because she did so badly. I don't think the grammar test matters too much.
Which is a shame because I feel that's the only part that went well for me :)

Lorenzo
January 27th, 2015, 02:43
My grammar test was easy but I still fucked it up. That story about your friend is reassuring, though.

emperor_ing
January 27th, 2015, 05:34
Urgh, snow is coming on interview day. My worst nightmare.

Zolrak 22
January 27th, 2015, 05:35
Urgh, snow is coming on interview day. My worst nightmare.
Oh come on, he's a nice(ish) guy!

Frap
January 27th, 2015, 06:25
Oh come on, he's a nice(ish) guy!

Ba dum tss! (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6zXDo4dL7SU)