PDA

View Full Version : Accepting an offer from another program while waiting on JET?



weepinbell
October 23rd, 2014, 00:44
Says it all in the title! I haven't been accepted into any programs as of yet, but I'm interviewing with ECC in November. Depending on how that works out, I may apply to other companies. I'm wondering how this works as someone who is also applying to/waiting to hear from JET?

Has anyone accepted an offer from another company only to be hired by JET at a later date?

Thanks!

miamicoordinator
October 23rd, 2014, 02:56
There are a couple of people in this situation on ITIL. I am sure some of them will respond eventually.

I don't expect anyone to put their life on hold waiting for JET since it is a one year process. I always assume applicants have more than one job offer, and they will decide when the time comes what they want. If an applicant is already in Japan and is short-listed/upgraded, then all you have to go is get your status adjusted on your residency card at the immigration office and meet everyone for Tokyo Orentation. We have many applicants who are already in Japan working with interac, or other companies. The only problem is, you need to be in the U.S. (or U.S. territory like Guam) for your interview. So, if you get hired by ECC, and go to Japan in January, for example, you will have to fly back either at the end of January or Beginning of february for your interview. It will be costly, and I dont know how easy you will be able to take time off after just arriving there. Of course, if you dont go to Japan till April with ECC, then that makes life easier for you.

It will be up to you to tell you current employer that you will be quitting in 4 months (considering regular short list departure), so you wanna make sure you deal with all your residency card paperwork quickly.

Like I said though, we always have quite a few people living or working abroad amd applying to JET at the same time.

-MC

weepinbell
October 23rd, 2014, 05:14
I can't go to Japan until July of 2015 which I've already relayed to ECC and would plan to do so should I apply to other companies. I'm hoping it will all coordinate nicely given my ETA and when JET offers positions in April. I'm mostly curious as to how accepting an offer with another company as a "backup" might work while in the midst of the JET process. Like you said, I've seen people talk about applying to/working for other companies while applying for JET, so I'm hoping some of them might have some insight as to how the handled that type of situation.

It is very helpful to know that JET program interviews only take place in the US in the case that I end up accepting an offer from another company and reapplying to JET at a later date.

Thank you so much!

Zolrak 22
October 23rd, 2014, 05:21
Just as MC mentioned, should you want to apply for JET, you can always apply in Guam.

It's a relatively short trip, so you can apply and even go into the interview phase without having to quit your job yet.

Gizmotech
October 23rd, 2014, 12:46
Miami don't you have to interview at the consulate you apply at?