PDA

View Full Version : Ways you would like to improve your class

Zolrak 22
October 24th, 2014, 14:01
Ok, so we know some ALTs aren't pleased with the way classes are given. (Or at least aspects of the class)

I've been working on a thesis about the ways gamification can improve education, how an interactive experience would help students become more involved and invested in the class.

That got me thinking about the ways teachers are restricted when giving a class.

My question is, what would you do to improve your class?

What specific actions, methods and etc would you use?

(this is under the assumption that somehow no one could refuse your suggestions )

SomePeopleJustSaySnow
October 24th, 2014, 16:31
This is a rather loaded topic...

Ananasboat
October 27th, 2014, 14:12
I would like to take the disruptive ones and defenestrate them. Can you use that word like that? I hope so. Because I'll do it regardless.

coop52
October 27th, 2014, 19:38
I'd get rid of the idea that "Student has memorized the page in the textbook, therefore Student knows how to produce the target language" and have the kids actually practice using what they're learning. I've seen it happen so many times in JHS when the kids never get to do production practice in class and have to cram it in during the last few months during their third year. My prefecture's entrance exam only has one writing questions, asking for a 15 word composition about what they want to do in the future or some part of Japanese culture or whatnot. A student who's been studying for three years should have little problem stringing 15 words together, but so many kids leave it blank because they panic since they've never had to do anything beyond fill in a blank or reorder a list of words before. They really should be coming up with their own sentences from the get-go.

I'd also like the authority to kick the disruptive ones out.

Jiggit
October 27th, 2014, 20:07
Teachers need to understand the purpose and value of lesson goals. The reason they create those worksheets is because it's the simplest way for them to "finish the lesson" but they don't have any goals other than to finish the lesson as smoothly as possible. You see it all the time when they want to explain things for activities that you create which are in fact integral to the purpose of the activity. You put something in there to challenge the students in a particular way, to force them to actually produce the target language point, and the JTE sees it as an unnecessary speedbump getting in the way of the lesson completion.

Gizmotech
October 28th, 2014, 06:53
Make teachers actually have an understanding of teaching methodology and pedagogy as it relates to language education.
Or hold my breath till I'm blue in the face.

wicket
November 4th, 2014, 19:51
Have you asked the JTEs? Because most of the ones I spoke to in Osaka answered that they'd improve their classes by having ALTs who were dedicated to the job instead of dedicated to doing the bare minimum.

SomePeopleJustSaySnow
November 4th, 2014, 20:55
Whereas last time I asked a gathering of jtes it was that they would love to be able to actually take the time to plan lessons that effectively use alts instead of galloping madly through a text book for the umpteenth time.

Then again, they were young and optimistic.

Gizmotech
November 4th, 2014, 21:44
Even the old ones say that but it's always the pace that is most important not the skills they have learned.