PDA

View Full Version : Interac Spring 2015 Candidates

rjwood
November 1st, 2014, 06:21
Hey guys.

Thought I'd go ahead and start off a new thread for all Interac spring 2015 candidates.

I interviewed beginning of early October in L.A. and just received my offer of employment!
The waiting game is going to be bad until placement comes. But nonetheless, I'm excited.

Who else is going to be going to Japan come Spring time?

sharpinthefang
November 1st, 2014, 07:39
Some times you fly out here without knowing your placement at all. I didn't know mine.

greyjoy
November 1st, 2014, 19:05
What kind of fly by night operation doesn't tell its employees where they'll be working ahead of time?

SomePeopleJustSaySnow
November 1st, 2014, 21:00
... CIA?

greyjoy
November 1st, 2014, 21:36
WHAT WOULD YOU KNOW?

SomePeopleJustSaySnow
November 2nd, 2014, 03:28
... I don't understand the question.

greyjoy
November 3rd, 2014, 01:18
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1yYEDjeWA8

zombiekelly
November 4th, 2014, 12:56
What kind of fly by night operation doesn't tell its employees where they'll be working ahead of time?

This one.

I had an idea where I would be at, and it turned out to be true. But there were a ton of people at training that didn't know until the last day of training.

sharpinthefang
November 4th, 2014, 15:19
I did know by the time i landed though as the location email pinged through as soon as i turned my phone back on in Narita.

SomePeopleJustSaySnow
November 4th, 2014, 21:25
Do they fly you with a bag over your head and noise-canceling headphones, just in case?

Zolrak 22
November 4th, 2014, 21:54
Do they fly you with a bag over your head and noise-canceling headphones, just in case?
I'd pay extra for a perk like that in a flight so long.

sharpinthefang
November 4th, 2014, 23:15
I'd pay extra for a perk like that in a flight so long.
If they could supply a anti-sickness pill too that would be fantastic.

SomePeopleJustSaySnow
November 5th, 2014, 08:16
Ha! I've never been travel-sick, for which I count myself amongst the very lucky.

sharpinthefang
November 5th, 2014, 14:52
Ha! I've never been travel-sick, for which I count myself amongst the very lucky.
(B*tch)

SomePeopleJustSaySnow
November 5th, 2014, 18:12
Botch? Fantastic band, sad they broke up.

By the way, are there actually any other Interac candidates?

sharpinthefang
November 5th, 2014, 20:53
If there are they haven't found there way here yet.

Risingfromashes
November 10th, 2014, 02:49
Decided not to wait until the fall 2015 intake and I'm applying now for spring. I'm hoping there are some spots left and that I can snag one.

Zolrak 22
November 10th, 2014, 04:04
Pretty sure there's always an open spot in Interac.

Whether that's a good thing, is up to you.

Risingfromashes
November 10th, 2014, 04:40
Trying to finish up the app and realized that they're requesting a cover letter instead of the short essay mentioned in years past. For those of you that got accepted, any suggestions on structure? Did everyone pretty much write why Japan and Interac portions? My current cover letter is pretty much focused on my teaching experience.

rjwood
November 10th, 2014, 11:31
Mine was structured like a short essay in paragraphs; 1) General intro 2) Background on myself (education, study abroad, teaching experience etc.) 3) Why Japan? 4) What I would be like as a English teacher/ personal philosophy etc. / closing statement.

Hope this helps some.

sharpinthefang
November 10th, 2014, 13:19
Trying to finish up the app and realized that they're requesting a cover letter instead of the short essay mentioned in years past. For those of you that got accepted, any suggestions on structure? Did everyone pretty much write why Japan and Interac portions? My current cover letter is pretty much focused on my teaching experience.

I just ripped apart my JET SOP and put in a few different names.

Risingfromashes
November 11th, 2014, 06:43
I didn't have a JET SOP so I had to modify my current cover letter. Put in a paragraph about my international experience/Japan, a paragraph about my teaching and tutoring experience and a quick conclusion with final tidbits and thanking them for their time. Hope it was enough. Sent it off immediately cause I'm the type to obsess and I didn't want to analyze it to death.

I saw the part requesting all of the documents and a picture. Is any of that needed now or does that come later if I'm offered an interview?

sharpinthefang
November 11th, 2014, 11:35
The sooner you get all of the documents together the better, save rushing around when trying to get ready for the interview. But i took my photo with me for my interview. Watch out for the size requirements for it though as they are a pain in the arse. I found snappy snaps was good for it as they had the right settings there, just had to let them know in advance.

Risingfromashes
November 13th, 2014, 00:30
The sooner you get all of the documents together the better, save rushing around when trying to get ready for the interview. But i took my photo with me for my interview. Watch out for the size requirements for it though as they are a pain in the arse. I found snappy snaps was good for it as they had the right settings there, just had to let them know in advance.

Thanks for the suggestion. I'm going to get on all of that right now. Snappy snaps looks great, but I'm going to need to look for a US equivalent. I did look up the size requirements, and you're right, they are a pain. I was hoping I could just send in my work photos. They just took pics of the faculty last year, but the dimensions are wrong for the app. So it looks like I'll be taking another one somewhere else.

Does anyone know what I can expect for turnaround time for Interac getting back to me about the initial app? I'm stressing myself out thinking that every phone call is from them, and then I practically worry myself to death when it isn't.

rjwood
November 13th, 2014, 03:16
Thanks for the suggestion. I'm going to get on all of that right now. Snappy snaps looks great, but I'm going to need to look for a US equivalent. I did look up the size requirements, and you're right, they are a pain. I was hoping I could just send in my work photos. They just took pics of the faculty last year, but the dimensions are wrong for the app. So it looks like I'll be taking another one somewhere else.

Does anyone know what I can expect for turnaround time for Interac getting back to me about the initial app? I'm stressing myself out thinking that every phone call is from them, and then I practically worry myself to death when it isn't.

Once you have submitted your initial application, I would give it a couple days. They'll call and set up phone interview/screening (called me the day after submitting). After that, they'll invite you to an in person hiring session/ interview. They should be getting back to you soon.

Risingfromashes
November 13th, 2014, 10:49
They called today. Completely missed it because my phone was on vibrate while I was teaching. I called them back and set up a phone interview for tomorrow night. The rep said that the interview would only be about 20 minutes, but I'm trying to prep some of my answers in advance. I think I have general answers for why Japan? Why Interac? What are the expectations of an ALT? I figured I could just have my resume in front of me for notes if they ask about my teaching/tutoring experience. Am I missing anything?

Risingfromashes
November 14th, 2014, 11:14
Passed the phone interview. They offered seminars in Chicago and Toronto. I chose Canada cause of the insane traffic driving down from Michigan to Chicago. Anyone know if there is a big difference in the seminars between Canada and the US? I know there are some differences between the UK and the US.

sharpinthefang
November 17th, 2014, 15:55
The one time I would have been useful and I was away...

i dont know know about the US interview, but the uk one had a small English test ( I imagine that's the same) and then a little bit about the jobs and then we had to make demo videos following set criteria (into, why japan/teaching/experience and then a 5 min section for es and a 10 for jhs)
i then heard about 3 weeks later and then it was a case of sorting out starting times.

EDIT; goddam phone. Will correct typos later

Risingfromashes
November 18th, 2014, 01:30
Lol! I can never send these things out from my phone without screaming. Thanks for the reply. It sounds like the UK and US ones are pretty similar, not sure if Canada has some differences though. I'm in the process of gathering all of those materials together. I wish I could interview before December 13th, but that's all they had near me. I hope there are even positions left at that time, especially since it takes 3 weeks turnaround and I'm guessing there will be delays over Christmas and New Years.

sharpinthefang
November 18th, 2014, 15:26
Not as many delays as you would expect, both of my schools are open on christmas eve and start back on the 26th. I think the government buildings are the same. One of the beautys about living in a non christain dominant country.
We had our re-contracting requests sent out today, so they are starting to get ideas. They will prob ask you to start in April if you can as that is when the new school year starts.

Risingfromashes
November 19th, 2014, 02:38
That's a relief to hear. I'd prefer to start at the beginning of the school year, even though trying to gather that much start up money in such a short time is going to be a nightmare.

Wow your schools were open again on the 26th? Do you get any vacation in December? When I saw that they only pay 75% for December, I assumed it was because there was time off between Christmas and New Years.

sharpinthefang
November 20th, 2014, 14:48
The schools re-open that early, but they do shut over new years for a week (hence the 75% pay). The company take 5 of your 10 holiday days to make that into two weeks for us. So in reality i get from the 25th to the 6th of Jan as holiday that way.

Risingfromashes
November 24th, 2014, 22:50
Do people usually try to visit their home countries during this time or is the time too short and the tickets too expensive?

Quick side note. Are rjwood and I the only people on the forum going for the March intake? I knew some people would try for JET first but wow. Not sure that JET basket is big enough to hold all those eggs.

sharpinthefang
November 25th, 2014, 11:46
Do people usually try to visit their home countries during this time or is the time too short and the tickets too expensive?

Quick side note. Are rjwood and I the only people on the forum going for the March intake? I knew some people would try for JET first but wow. Not sure that JET basket is big enough to hold all those eggs.

Not every one who applies finds there way here. I would say about 1% make it here. And most JETS apply for both and don't mention it.
Why bother going home when you have a whole new country here to explore?

Jiggit
November 25th, 2014, 12:19
I would say about 1% make it here.

Wut?

Risingfromashes
November 25th, 2014, 13:01
It's too bad that such a small percentage make their way here. The threads from previous years have been really informative. I have to admit that the JET threads are enormous though.

While I'm sure that Japan will be all types of awesome, I might decide that I want to see my family at some point. Either during the holidays or over the summer. Especially since I'm married. Kinda doubles the family obligation. I know people tend to travel locally or to short trips in Asia in August, but I didn't know if others went home instead. I guess if you're only staying for a year then it might be too expensive though.

sharpinthefang
November 25th, 2014, 14:24
Sorry that I cut my last answer short, I had class.

I would take every oppertunity possiable to visit this part of the world, you may never be closer. Your family can wait. Plus you should/may already know all the chrstmas events and things from back home, why not experience them in a new way and in a different place. Your family should understand, even more so if you are only planning on being out here for a year. Thats not a long time to be away in the scheme of things. I'm not married, but I have been with my OH for 6 years now but neither of us are planning on going back for the holidays. It's going to be nice to experience christmas together for once without all the stupid crap that families tend to pull. (Which is even more if you are married as you have to decide which family to visit and you can be sure that the other side will not be as understanding as they let on).

I do stalk the JET threads mainly beacuse they are more active, and at the end of the day we are all doing the same job and experiencing the same weird sh*t.

@Jigget. How many would you say make it on here then? How many thousands apply just from the states and we have an active membership of about 60 at best. Would it be more like 0.1%?

uthinkimlost?
November 25th, 2014, 14:30
I think he was confused by what you meant by 'make it here'

'Here' could have meant ITIL or Japan.

Jiggit
November 25th, 2014, 14:31
^

sharpinthefang
November 25th, 2014, 16:16
Ah, I meant ITIL.

Risingfromashes
November 26th, 2014, 04:42
Thanks for the detailed reply sharpinthefang. Very sound advice.

Quick update: Switched my seminar to the Chicago location. The universe decided that it would get snow happy and I just kept daydreaming about delays at border crossings and trying to find my way to some place in Canada in Snowpocalypse 2.0. I know Chicago gets heaps of snow too, but at least it's somewhere I'm vaguely familiar with. Also, might have a slim chance of convincing my sis to ride shotgun since she used to live there. Any one else interview in Chicago?

I'm filling out all this paperwork and I'm stuck on the loan section. I get how it works and all that. They direct deposit you the money when you open your Japanese bank account and you have 6 months of indentured servitude to pay it back etc. Just wanted to know if anyone took the loan and did they feel like it was worth the trouble? Do you think it has any bearing on getting hired?

sharpinthefang
November 26th, 2014, 10:14
The loan has no bearing on getting hired or not. I did not take the loan and talking to the others out here I am glad I did not.
They take the same amount in repayments regardless if you are getting the 75% salaray for the month or the 100%. Everyone I have spoken to out here regrets it.

I would just work over time at work and scrimp and save every little bit instead. Now is also the perfect time to start going through your crap and shifting out what you really don't need.

Divide everything into three piles (you don't need to pack yet, could just start with a list).
First pile is easy, what you are going to take with you. I.e clothes and one or two entertainment items. (I brought both computers and a 3ds to play with).
Second and third piles are harder. Look at the stuff and think 'will i really want that in X number of years when i come back?' If the answer is no, sell it or bin it. That collection of posters you have? You won't want it when you come back. Same goes for that pile of books you read years ago and will most likely never read again.

If you do it all before you go, makes life a lot easier for when you come back. It's also useful if you have no-where to store your stuff for the years.

zombiekelly
November 28th, 2014, 14:07
Don't get the loan. The above mentioned salary deduction alone is enough to convince you otherwise, but you don't want something like that hanging over your head should you decide Interac is not for you once you get here.

pinkprincess89
November 29th, 2014, 19:45
Hey everyone! I interviewed in the UK and I got my job offer so I'll be coming over in spring 2015! I was wondering if anyone had any specific dates for summer vacation? I keep hearing you get 3 weeks off in summer but does anyone know when? Also I requested to not be near Fukushima, if you get put on the alternate track, do they take these requests in mind or could I end up in Fukushima?
Thanks
Amy :)

Antonath
November 29th, 2014, 22:56
Also I requested to not be near Fukushima...
Before anyone else says anything, I will merely point out that parts of suburban Tokyo are closer to Fukushima Daiichi than some parts of Fukushima prefecture.

I was pretty sure Interac got almost all of August off (unpaid), depending on when the new term starts. The term dates vary each year, and the start-date after summer is the most changeable.

mothy
November 30th, 2014, 00:01
I can't believe they hired someone who requested to be not near fukushima. Interac is more desperate than I thought.

sharpinthefang
November 30th, 2014, 16:43
You do get the summer off, but you only get paid for half of it. If they ask for volunteers for the summer camps, take them. They are good fun and you get paid a bonus too.

itsmicster
December 2nd, 2014, 00:39
Hey everyone! I interviewed in the UK and I got my job offer so I'll be coming over in spring 2015! I was wondering if anyone had any specific dates for summer vacation? I keep hearing you get 3 weeks off in summer but does anyone know when? Also I requested to not be near Fukushima, if you get put on the alternate track, do they take these requests in mind or could I end up in Fukushima?
Thanks
Amy :)

Which UK seminar did you attend? I attended London on November 20th and got a job offer too!

pinkprincess89
December 2nd, 2014, 01:15
I can't believe they hired someone who requested to be not near fukushima. Interac is more desperate than I thought.

Mothy, I don't think that request is particularly unreasonable! I'd happily be anywhere else in Japan, but for the sake of my health and my family's peace of mind they clearly don't think it's unreasonable too!

pinkprincess89
December 2nd, 2014, 01:22
Thanks Antonath, that's good to know!
Hi Itsmicster, I actually interviewed in March in Oxford, however I was waiting to finish my degree this summer so I had to postpone until spring 2015. I was originally going to attend the seminar in London but I got moved to Oxford where no one else turned up! Did you have many other people interviewing at your seminar? Congrats on the job offer, it's quite agonising having to wait! But It's so exciting it's worth the wait!

itsmicster
December 2nd, 2014, 02:17
Thanks Antonath, that's good to know!
Hi Itsmicster, I actually interviewed in March in Oxford, however I was waiting to finish my degree this summer so I had to postpone until spring 2015. I was originally going to attend the seminar in London but I got moved to Oxford where no one else turned up! Did you have many other people interviewing at your seminar? Congrats on the job offer, it's quite agonising having to wait! But It's so exciting it's worth the wait!

Ahhh, cool. The London one had four people - Me, my partner (who also got a job offer), another guy and another girl.

pinkprincess89
December 2nd, 2014, 06:56
That's great you both got it! So. Have you requested to be put together then?

itsmicster
December 2nd, 2014, 07:39
That's great you both got it! So. Have you requested to be put together then?
Yup! They're going to make all the effort they can to have us in the same area of the prefecture we end up in

sharpinthefang
December 2nd, 2014, 09:38
Request Kitakyushu, I know of a couple that are leaving. One's in an ES the other in a JHS.

mothy
December 2nd, 2014, 09:58
Mothy, I don't think that request is particularly unreasonable! I'd happily be anywhere else in Japan, but for the sake of my health and my family's peace of mind they clearly don't think it's unreasonable too!

They clearly will accept anyone.

sharpinthefang
December 2nd, 2014, 10:50

It's only unresonable as it shows your level of research about the situation. Read some scientific journals about it, it's not as bad as the media hype suggests.

SomePeopleJustSaySnow
December 2nd, 2014, 16:34
Or as bad as, say, eating fish.

pinkprincess89
December 2nd, 2014, 19:40
Yup! They're going to make all the effort they can to have us in the same area of the prefecture we end up in
Good luck! I really hope you get it!

It's only unresonable as it shows your level of research about the situation. Read some scientific journals about it, it's not as bad as the media hype suggests.
Is there a link to any journals you've read online? I'd like to have a read. It's hard to tell what is just hype and what is real information just by googling it!

gibbity
December 3rd, 2014, 05:14
Good luck! I really hope you get it!

Is there a link to any journals you've read online? I'd like to have a read. It's hard to tell what is just hype and what is real information just by googling it!

Always look for credible journals or schools that have a reputation. You always want peer reviewed research as well. In case that is all new information for you.
Just from a quick look, here is a quick rundown on some isotope measures from 2013 already. a bit back, and even then, things are not far from normal.
Evaluation of radiation doses and associated risk from the Fukushima nuclear accident to marine biota and human consumers of seafood (http://www.pnas.org/content/110/26/10670.abstract)
Though this pertains more to migratory results of the accident, much of this data can be used to also related to the fukushima area.

Could always check a few documentaries too. Just take every single thing you see with a grain of salt. Most media based information will have its agenda, no matter how small it might be.

pinkprincess89
December 3rd, 2014, 05:30
Thanks Gibbity! That's a big help, I guess I should stop being so paranoid!

gibbity
December 3rd, 2014, 05:45
no problem. again though, a good degree of skepticism is still good... there are still plenty of very dense, foliated mountains and areas near there that have issues with certain isotopes NOT getting caught in run off. These sorts of areas are still pretty crazy radioactive, but no where that a normal person would be trekking. The risks that are still present are these sorts of areas eventually having a heavy runoff (given a real good storm, a tsunami perhaps) that will throw the isotope into a previously clean or cleared area.

It was no Chernobyl. Have fun with your placement :D

pinkprincess89
December 4th, 2014, 23:34
Thanks for all the info gibbity! It's very much appreciated!

Ini
December 5th, 2014, 11:25
Apart from the reactor buildings there are no areas in Fukushima that are "crazy radioactive"

Jiggit
December 5th, 2014, 11:31
Ini is lying, we're just trying to keep all these sweet radiation mutations to ourselves. I have three dicks already.

uthinkimlost?
December 5th, 2014, 11:34
Ini is lying, we're just trying to keep all these sweet radiation mutations to ourselves. I have three dicks already.

Not a mutation if they belonged to dead hookers.

sharpinthefang
December 5th, 2014, 12:03
I've grown eye out of the back of my head. Isn't that new horror film based in Fukushima? The one with the hand eye stalk thing?

webstaa
December 5th, 2014, 12:12
I've grown eye out of the back of my head. Isn't that new horror film based in Fukushima? The one with the hand eye stalk thing?

Parasyte is hardly a 'new' franchise - it ran 1990-1995. And no, sadly it's based in Tokyo.

sharpinthefang
December 5th, 2014, 12:54
Parasyte is hardly a 'new' franchise - it ran 1990-1995. And no, sadly it's based in Tokyo.

Ah, that I didn't know. I tend to stay away from Japanese 'horror'.

Jiggit
December 5th, 2014, 12:59
One of my students has a voice that sounds like it was put through whatever distortion effect they used for the exorcist. Creeps me the fuck out.

pinkprincess89
December 5th, 2014, 23:52

Haha maybe there's some crazy Japanese hentai that'll pay loads for that! Just a thought...

sharpinthefang
December 6th, 2014, 08:43
No, do not get him started...

No!!!......

Risingfromashes
December 8th, 2014, 23:20
Damn demo lesson is giving me fits. Be original or just stick to the fricken script. Did everyone pretty much just copy the videos word for word?

zombiekelly
December 9th, 2014, 11:16
Yes, they expect you to do that.

The impression from training was that you have to copy, copy, copy. They want it a certain way and they want you not to question.

Risingfromashes
December 9th, 2014, 11:30
Will do! It felt weird doing it, but at least now I can just focus on the delivery and not on trying to make it special. Thanks for the heads up.

sharpinthefang
December 9th, 2014, 12:01
Yeah, it's the same as most jobs now, no original thought, just follow what HO believes will work as the ones who design the program have never had to use it in real life.

pinkprincess89
December 11th, 2014, 02:01
Yes, they expect you to do that.

The impression from training was that you have to copy, copy, copy. They want it a certain way and they want you not to question.

Is that the same for when you're on the actual job then? I understand why they want people to do it how they want, as they 'know it works', but I enjoyed making the demo lesson original. Don't want to lose my job over it though...

zombiekelly
December 11th, 2014, 10:27
ES or JH? ES you're on your own for lessons, and so having a little creativity goes a long way. JH you're likely going to be a tape recorder, so it doesn't matter.

But as far as the actual training week goes, C.O.P.Y. Everyone will fail their evaluation (I don't know anyone from my group who "passed"), so it's best to focus on pleasing.

But do be creative once you escape their watching eye. As stressing as planning my six or so ES lessons were, I kind of enjoyed them (the 1st grade class of four little girls was fun). They provide the lessons, but they're all geared for classes of at least 20 and they make the assumption that the kids know some english. Not true in the Ibaraki sticks.

sharpinthefang
December 11th, 2014, 13:14
The most creativity i ever get is designing the games and work sheets (I'm JHS).
However, the between the school and the company they have managed to lose every bit of paper work I am required to send in for last month. And they are trying to blame it on me...

Risingfromashes
December 13th, 2014, 03:30
Driving to Chicago today for the seminar tomorrow. I'm ready to copy, copy, and copy some more. I focused so much on the demo lesson (Can't get that sucker under 6 min.) that I completely forgot about the individual interview. Any hints to what they'll grill me on?

zombiekelly
December 13th, 2014, 05:58
Standard interview stuff. Why you want to go, how long you want to stay, how do you handle stressful events, etc. Basically to gauge if you're going to be a runner or a lifer (which they don't want).

Zolrak 22
December 13th, 2014, 06:30
Basically to gauge if you're going to be a runner or a lifer (which they don't want).

I understand no runners, but why no lifers?

As long as the alts are doing their job, it shouldn't matter to Interact if you'd like to stay in Japan for the long haul.

Correct me if I'm wrong but unlike JET, they don't have a year limit.

sharpinthefang
December 13th, 2014, 09:07
They don't, but lifers have a habit at becoming sad lonely people full of hate. If you want examples, look at a few of the lifers on here. (Hint; their post count is stupidly high)

Risingfromashes
December 16th, 2014, 04:50
Interviewed at the seminar in Chicago this weekend. Now the waiting game begins.

In the meantime I guess I'll figure out how to turn $500 into $5000. My job just cut hours. Again. Any mention of overtime is met with hysterical laughter.

sharpinthefang
December 16th, 2014, 13:04
Interviewed at the seminar in Chicago this weekend. Now the waiting game begins.

In the meantime I guess I'll figure out how to turn $500 into $5000. My job just cut hours. Again. Any mention of overtime is met with hysterical laughter.
Right in the christmas period? Ouch.

greyjoy
December 16th, 2014, 16:15

Invest in scratch off tickets.

pinkprincess89
December 23rd, 2014, 19:13
Does anyone know how long it takes to set up Internet and/or get a phone when you arrive? My family/bf want to know how long we won't have contact for. I was thinking in the suburbs or city I could probably find an Internet cafe, but in the Inaka that won't be the case.
By the way I'm not someone who needs to talk to my family every night, they are just curious.

Gizmotech
December 23rd, 2014, 20:11
I had a phone less than ten hours after reaching destination, but I was willing to bill it through my Canadian cc. As for Internet, if you end up in a Leo you should have it when you walk in the door.

sharpinthefang
December 23rd, 2014, 21:07
You will have internet when you walk though your door if it is a LP, but your co-ordinator will need to take you to the LP office to get your log on codes. Every once in a while I need these codes to use the internet (like once a month/every 6 weeks)

Antonath
December 23rd, 2014, 21:33
If you end up in a regular apartment instead of a LeoPalace, it could be up to a month before you get internet.

pinkprincess89
December 23rd, 2014, 21:45
Thanks everyone that's a big help!

ALTInsiderFY
December 26th, 2014, 02:48
They don't, but lifers have a habit at becoming sad lonely people full of hate. If you want examples, look at a few of the lifers on here. (Hint; their post count is stupidly high)
THIS. The % chance that an ALT is bitter and hates Japan rises with the number of years said ALT has been in Japan.

mothy
January 1st, 2015, 04:46
But at the same time if someone has spent many years in Japan they probably know a lot and like enough that they've stuck around.

pinkprincess89
January 1st, 2015, 21:26
What do people do about the low voltage in Japan? I'm thinking about getting a transformer for my laptop and other electrical stuff, (UK voltage is about 230). Can you buy these in Japan? What has everyone else done?

Antonath
January 1st, 2015, 22:19
What do people do about the low voltage in Japan? I'm thinking about getting a transformer for my laptop and other electrical stuff, (UK voltage is about 230). Can you buy these in Japan? What has everyone else done?
Most electrical devices have the transformers built in. The power block for laptops will usually take 110-240 quite happily, and should say so on it. Same for electric razors, toothbrushes, etc. All you need is a UK to USA plug converter (Japan uses the same plugs as the States), and those can be found in loads of places. The only items that reportedly cause issues are things that generate heat, like curling tongs.

sharpinthefang
January 2nd, 2015, 10:25
The only thing I would add to that, if your training is in Tokyo, head to Akiharabara (correct if the spelling is wrong) and get adapters there. I managed to get a fully working Japanese half adapter for my computer for less than a fiver.

webstaa
January 5th, 2015, 08:24
One word of warning on the voltage thing. If your adapter says 110v-240v, it should handle Japan's 100v just fine. Generally devices are tested to work up to 20% out of spec, so it should run even if the voltage drops to 90v. The only real exception to this are devices with motors and unrectified power supplies - some hair clippers/hair dryers etc won't operate properly. So your laptop should be just fine with a plug adapter - it's already got a transformer in the power supply. Just make sure anything that needs a ground is properly grounded.

mothy
January 5th, 2015, 22:45
Akiharabara

Jesus christ. Try some google, sugarinthong.

sharpinthefang
January 5th, 2015, 23:01
That scratches....

itsabird
January 7th, 2015, 11:42
If you're concerned about saving 200 yen on an adapter while going abroad, you're doing something wrong.

Zolrak 22
January 7th, 2015, 13:12
you're doing something wrong.

Pennies stack up, my friend.

PuddingHead
January 8th, 2015, 01:10
I guess this question is mainly for Sharp, but what are the biggest pros and cons for Interac? As far as I can tell, it's:

Pros:
More vacation
Shorter application period
Some positions may give you a travel allowance
Pre-arranged housing

Cons:
Cut pay during those vacation months
Does not pay for flights
Lower salary in general (compared to JET)
Have to wait about 2 months(?) for first paycheck
Housing is never subsidized nor partially subsidized

The longer breaks sound nice, but do you think it's worth it?

sharpinthefang
January 8th, 2015, 11:24
I guess this question is mainly for Sharp, but what are the biggest pros and cons for Interac? As far as I can tell, it's:

Pros:
More vacation
Shorter application period
Some positions may give you a travel allowance
Pre-arranged housing

Cons:
Cut pay during those vacation months
Does not pay for flights
Lower salary in general (compared to JET)
Have to wait about 2 months(?) for first paycheck
Housing is never subsidized nor partially subsidized

The longer breaks sound nice, but do you think it's worth it?
That is mostly right,
the travel is always offered, but if you choose a car then you still get some but as everywhere in the world it does not cover the full cost of the car. (One person I know is given 20K a month to go to it, but her parking space costs 10...)

Another Pro is; you can stay for a very long time. You also have a lot more chance of moving to another part of Japan when the contract renewals come around.
The month in lieu paycheck is normal wherever you are in the world.

Con;? Depending on the type of contract you have depends if you have to pay for pension/health service etc...

sharpinthefang
January 8th, 2015, 11:25
The subsidised housing is only a special snowflake situation for JET, any other company other than JET would also expect you to pay for your own accommodation. JET in is far as that goes is not the 'real world' of work.

Gizmotech
January 8th, 2015, 11:56
I dislike the practice in Japan of paying monthly for hourly work. It allows them to get away with a month delay on payment, which shouldn't realistically be the case for income. Monthly pay is generally reserved for people on fixed hours w/ fixed income that can be adjusted in the next months paycheck for any issues unaddressed in the current month.

Month in lieu is very very rare, and often should result form a hire near the end of the pay period (ten days before pay day). You'll also notice that some places, like california, specifically say how long an employer can wait until the end of a pay period to compensate an employee for that pay period. It also has rules which can require that monthly payment be made for the month in question before it is complete.

sharpinthefang
January 8th, 2015, 12:06
Ah, I was talking in respect to the UK. Month in lieu is quite normal there, especially in the retail industry.

zombiekelly
January 8th, 2015, 12:07
The Tokyo training is in Narita.

Which is an hour away. And a ¥2600 round trip.

...To get an adapter for five bucks.

sharpinthefang
January 8th, 2015, 12:13
My training was at the HO, which is not in Narita. My hotel was right next to the Tokyo Media Dome, and I didn't go looking for a charger, I went to see the tourist trap and found one by accident.

Risingfromashes
January 9th, 2015, 03:40
Just got my official offer of employment in my email this morning. I'm happy I made the cut for the Spring 2015 deadline. I was surfing the Facebook group and it looks like the placement process may be starting early at a few BOEs. Might result in a few of us being able to snag flights at prices that don't make us want to yell at the computer screen.

PuddingHead
January 9th, 2015, 05:26
Hm, alright! Thanks for the input. It honestly doesn't sound that bad; I'm not sure why there are so many complaints.

sharpinthefang
January 9th, 2015, 09:13
Hm, alright! Thanks for the input. It honestly doesn't sound that bad; I'm not sure why there are so many complaints.
Because JET is government funded and those that get on JET can sometimes turn into snobs. I just point out that at the end of the day, we are all doing the same job with the same experiences.

sharpinthefang
January 9th, 2015, 09:14
Just got my official offer of employment in my email this morning. I'm happy I made the cut for the Spring 2015 deadline. I was surfing the Facebook group and it looks like the placement process may be starting early at a few BOEs. Might result in a few of us being able to snag flights at prices that don't make us want to yell at the computer screen.
For flights, look at either STA.com and skyscanner. With STA you can get youth flights if you are under 26. Saves a lot of money. My one way non-stop ticket from London Heathrow to Narita cost 380 pounds with Virgin.

Jiggit
January 9th, 2015, 09:24
On the old pay scale JETs got paid significantly more than Interac ALTs. Nowadays it isn't really all that different.

Also the "doing the same job" thing - JET ALTs seem to get the chance to be way more involved at their school(s) than private company ALTs with school events and clubs and whatnot. The Interac ALTs I've known basically had to show up, do their lessons and go home. That might suit you more or less depending on your reasons for wanting the job.

sharpinthefang
January 9th, 2015, 09:25
It does depends on how well you want to immerse yourself. You can join the clubs if you want to, but you won't be paid for it.
I was part of the Judo club, but then I was asked by Interac to no longer go as I would be getting in 'close contact' with the boys (It was a boy only club) and they were afraid of me getting hurt.

pinkprincess89
January 9th, 2015, 11:05
I was surfing the Facebook group and it looks like the placement process may be starting early at a few BOEs. Might result in a few of us being able to snag flights at prices that don't make us want to yell at the computer screen.
Have you been invited to the Facebook group then? I wasn't sure if that happened before or after placement.
Also congrats on the offer :)

sharpinthefang
January 9th, 2015, 11:06
You have to apply and then wait to be accepted.

PuddingHead
January 9th, 2015, 20:43
Might result in a few of us being able to snag flights at prices that don't make us want to yell at the computer screen.

In addition to Sharp's recommendations, there's also Kayak.com. I don't think there's student discounts or anything, but it's a really quick way to get a general feel for how much you're looking at paying. You could also check with your local Japanese travel agency. Most places won't charge you for a quote, and you can just quickly call them and ask them to email you the cheapest suggestion (which you could price-check online). For seat selection on your flights, check out seatguru.com to make sure you're not getting an awful seat.

those that get on JET can sometimes turn into snobs.

This I've seen.

On the old pay scale JETs got paid significantly more than Interac ALTs. Nowadays it isn't really all that different.

True, but I feel like even that tiny ¥50,000ish a month can add up. Especially during Interac's prorated months.

JET ALTs seem to get the chance to be way more involved at their school(s) than private company ALTs with school events and clubs and whatnot.

It does depends on how well you want to immerse yourself.

Is the involvement rate based upon the individual, or by the school(s) at which they're placed? Are JET ALTs simply more pressured to get involved after school (or personally motivated), or do JET ALTs' schools typically have more opportunities?

One school cannot have both an Interac ALT and a JET ALT, can they?

sharpinthefang
January 9th, 2015, 23:11
Is the involvement rate based upon the individual, or by the school(s) at which they're placed? Are JET ALTs simply more pressured to get involved after school (or personally motivated), or do JET ALTs' schools typically have more opportunities?

One school cannot have both an Interac ALT and a JET ALT, can they?
One school cannot have one of each, it is based on your BOE about which schools get which company. For example, my BOE deals with three different companies (Maxeed, Interac and JET), so the split it into East, South and West (there is no north in my city).
I hate to say it, but ESID. At one of my schools I am really involved, just been out drinking with the teachers for example. The other school could not GAF about what I do, as long as i show up to class and keep my gob shut for the entire class. I spend two weeks at each school, so neither is my 'base' school.

lulabelle990
January 11th, 2015, 21:43
Hi there :) I will be starting with Interac in March 2015.
I was wondering if anyone had heard about their leaving date and/or placement yet?
Nice to meet you all :)

sharpinthefang
January 11th, 2015, 21:53
Hi Lula, what part of the SE are you from? And often many come out here not knowing their placement first.

Zolrak 22
January 11th, 2015, 22:00
You at least not know the general area... right? (when you don't know the placement)

Or are you sent somewhere for training first?

sharpinthefang
January 11th, 2015, 22:00
You normally go to training in Tokyo.

lulabelle990
January 11th, 2015, 22:23
Hi Lula, what part of the SE are you from?

I'm down near Brighton. Eastbourne to be specific. Are you from the UK to?

And often many come out here not knowing their placement first.

That really sucks. Hope that I know beforehand.
Looking at the thread for last year, seems people found out within the next two weekks.

sharpinthefang
January 11th, 2015, 22:26
Yep, I grew up in Hastings.
I was an early/late departure as I was flown in quickly to replace an emergency leave, so you might know before you fly. If you get Cedric for a trainer though... Have you done the online videos yet?

lulabelle990
January 11th, 2015, 22:47
Ah cool :) yeah Hastings is just down the road :)

Nope, didn't even know there were online videos :S Are they part of the training?

sharpinthefang
January 11th, 2015, 22:54
Yeah, they will send you the links in the next few days.

lulabelle990
January 11th, 2015, 22:56
cooooool, thanks.
I've lost the excitement of going lol it's been soo long since I got the offer.

sharpinthefang
January 11th, 2015, 23:00
Yeah, but its better that way. Less chance of being hit by culture shock.

lulabelle990
January 11th, 2015, 23:10
Done it all before so i'm all prepped and ready~ (Spent a year abroad for Uni). I only had about a week of culture shock last time, then i didnt want to go home xD

sharpinthefang
January 11th, 2015, 23:12
I assume you're not going now because of finishing uni?

lulabelle990
January 11th, 2015, 23:19
I had to go home at the end of the year T^T My last year of Uni was in the UK.
I finished Uni in 2014 so this was kind of the next step :) Just waiting to hear back from Interac now.
Can't wait to hear about placements. I'd like to go back to Kyoto, but i'm sure that's pretty unlikely. I'd be happy with pretty much anywhere though.

sharpinthefang
January 11th, 2015, 23:23
I had to go home at the end of the year T^T My last year of Uni was in the UK.
I finished Uni in 2014 so this was kind of the next step :) Just waiting to hear back from Interac now.
Can't wait to hear about placements. I'd like to go back to Kyoto, but i'm sure that's pretty unlikely. I'd be happy with pretty much anywhere though.
I don't know of much movement in my area, so I could not tell you whether you would come here. It is highly unlikely that you would get Kyoto that as everyone wants to transfer there.
Have you joined the FB group?

lulabelle990
January 11th, 2015, 23:30
Yeah, I just signed up. Bit worried about this whole email thing last week. I didn't get one through :S
I have friends all over Japan so I don't mind where I go tbh, as long as it's mainland Japan :)

sharpinthefang
January 11th, 2015, 23:32
Have you been given your employee number yet? If so, I can send you the video links they emails out to us.

lulabelle990
January 11th, 2015, 23:36
Unfortunately I haven't got one of those either.. yet :(

sharpinthefang
January 11th, 2015, 23:39
Ah, no worries. You will get it at training.
If you're looking for a way to pass the time, come join us in the lounge. We can be a little rough and ready but mostly harmless.

pinkprincess89
January 12th, 2015, 07:20
Hey Lula, nice to meet you :)

I'm down near Brighton. Eastbourne to be specific. Are you from the UK to?

I'm from down south too near Southampton/Portsmouth area, where did you interview?

sharpinthefang
January 12th, 2015, 08:51
Hey Lula, nice to meet you :)

[/FONT]

I'm from down south too near Southampton/Portsmouth area, where did you interview?

Ohh, I was born in one of those cities!

lulabelle990
January 12th, 2015, 23:01
I interviewed in London. How about you?

pinkprincess89
January 13th, 2015, 02:28
Ohh, I was born in one of those cities!

Such a coincidence! I live basically in between the two

I interviewed in London. How about you?

I was going to interview in London but it was full so they asked if I would go to Oxford (I ended up being the only one there!).

lulabelle990
January 13th, 2015, 03:21
Being the only one there would have been pretty cool (and also intimidating lol) There were only 8 people at my interview date :) I ended up interviewing for ECC with a couple of them too~

Oli0
January 13th, 2015, 15:41
Hi guys, I was accepted for a Spring 2015 position months ago and just found out that I'll be going out to Japan in March. Does anyone know when ALTs are typically sent out to Japan? Is it towards the end of March?

lulabelle990
January 13th, 2015, 15:59
I just got my confirmed date and I'm March too. I read somewhere that someone had their date confirmed as 21st March, but it really depends on the area and when your school needs you by.

Ini
January 13th, 2015, 16:05
the School year/1st semester starts at the beginning of April so most places prefer their ALTs to start then. JETs come in the summer to start the 2nd semester at the end of august because most their applicants are new graduates. You find most ALTs come either at the end of March or late july/early August. Anyone coming at another time is probably replacing someone who left early.

rjwood
January 13th, 2015, 16:46
Hey guys. I also was just confirmed for March arrival/ training. Although the exact date is not specified since placement is still going on. Looking forward to it!

lulabelle990
January 15th, 2015, 18:34
I heard that some people have received their placement offers recently. Anyone here know where they're going yet? :)

rjwood
January 19th, 2015, 15:37
I just received my placement call! I am going to be in Shimotsuma, Ibaraki in northern Kanto; very happy with this news. Hope this placement sticks!

lulabelle990
January 20th, 2015, 03:18
Congrats rjwood!

Risingfromashes
January 20th, 2015, 10:34
I just received my placement call! I am going to be in Shimotsuma, Ibaraki in northern Kanto; very happy with this news. Hope this placement sticks!

Congrats! Sounds like a great placement. I'm hoping for Kanto too! I was confirmed for March, but I still haven't received the Update II and Update III emails.

itsabird
January 20th, 2015, 10:57
Mothy can tell you all about how shitty Saitama is.

sharpinthefang
January 20th, 2015, 13:11
Congrats! Sounds like a great placement. I'm hoping for Kanto too! I was confirmed for March, but I still haven't received the Update II and Update III emails.
Our second round of intention emails went out today, so I imagine it could be any day.

lulabelle990
January 21st, 2015, 19:26
Got my placement this morning. Iwaizumi in Iwate prefecture. I'm their first ever ALT.

Zolrak 22
January 21st, 2015, 19:28
I'm their first ever ALT.

What's the worse that could happen? [emoji14]

sharpinthefang
January 21st, 2015, 19:48
Got my placement this morning. Iwaizumi in Iwate prefecture. I'm their first ever ALT.
Ohh, best of luck in that one. Is it a new school? Is so, you should ask Coop as she works at a new school too.

Ini
January 21st, 2015, 20:02
Unless its staffed entirely with 1st year teachers I doubt it'll be an issue......

lulabelle990
January 21st, 2015, 20:43
What's the worse that could happen? [emoji14]

Thankfully I can speak Japanese haha

lulabelle990
January 21st, 2015, 20:44
Ohh, best of luck in that one. Is it a new school? Is so, you should ask Coop as she works at a new school too.

Phillip said that i'd be working at 13 elementary schools, 5 junior high schools and i'll also be teaching occasional adult classes at the local community centre... busy busy busy lol

itsmicster
January 21st, 2015, 21:12
Phillip said that i'd be working at 13 elementary schools, 5 junior high schools and i'll also be teaching occasional adult classes at the local community centre... busy busy busy lol
Wow.

I'm still waiting on my placement call, getting nervous now.

sharpinthefang
January 21st, 2015, 21:51
Ah, how was Phillip? I had to spend a lovely 3 days with him. Just watch out for Cedric. After you have done training with him, come here and explode. (Hint, almost no one passes to his 'standards')

lulabelle990
January 21st, 2015, 21:55
He seemed nice. Will I defo get Cedric? lol My trainings prob going to be in the Iwate area.

Risingfromashes
January 21st, 2015, 22:43

Congratulations! It sounds like you'll never be bored. The fact that you speak Japanese probably made them feel more comfortable with offering you that type of position. With all that traveling are they planning to give you a car?

sharpinthefang
January 21st, 2015, 22:44
Congratulations! It sounds like you'll never be bored. The fact that you speak Japanese probably made them feel more comfortable with offering you that type of position. With all that traveling are they planning to give you a car?
Interacs get travel expenses back, one of the perks.

He seemed nice. Will I defo get Cedric? lol My trainings prob going to be in the Iwate area.
Ah, maybe not then. At least tell me when you have done the training videos.

lulabelle990
January 21st, 2015, 23:26

I know right. It's kind of an ego boost lol. Just wait until they realise how much japanese I've forgotten since I graduated haha. I'm hoping that they'll be other English speakers about. 1 or 2 would be enough lol. Yeah, I'll be getting a car~ I'm going to end up spending so much money on petrol.

lulabelle990
January 21st, 2015, 23:27
Ah, maybe not then. At least tell me when you have done the training videos.

will do~ I wonder when i'll get the info about it lol

andeland
January 22nd, 2015, 00:09
Hi all, I've also received my March confirmation email and my third CoE update. About how long afterwards did you receive your placement calls? I'm a little nervous about getting the call itself >_<

Are any of you on the Facebook group? I myself don't have Facebook so I wanted to make sure I'm not missing anything... this is the only place I've found any information on/for current Interac applicants.

Risingfromashes
January 22nd, 2015, 02:51
I'm on the Facebook group as well. We're basically keeping each other company and sharing all of our worries and questions. It's pretty interesting. I think there's about 7 people on there who have received placements and we've been living vicariously through each other while waiting to hear something for ourselves. I've been confirmed for March but Interac hasn't even submitted my COE yet, so that group helps keep me informed on where everyone is in the process.

andeland
January 22nd, 2015, 03:14
I'm on the Facebook group as well. We're basically keeping each other company... I've been confirmed for March but Interac hasn't even submitted my COE yet, so that group helps keep me informed on where everyone is in the process.

Is it worth making a Facebook account for?

You haven't gotten any COE update emails? I haven't gotten mine in person yet but they just asked me to confirm my info so they could mail it to me. I think I'm still a bit confused to how everything goes, but I'm just trying to follow the emails

lulabelle990
January 22nd, 2015, 03:23
Hi all, I've also received my March confirmation email and my third CoE update. About how long afterwards did you receive your placement calls? I'm a little nervous about getting the call itself >_<

Are any of you on the Facebook group? I myself don't have Facebook so I wanted to make sure I'm not missing anything... this is the only place I've found any information on/for current Interac applicants.

I didn't even get an update II or III lol
I'm on the facebook group too~

webstaa
January 22nd, 2015, 09:38
I know right. It's kind of an ego boost lol. Just wait until they realise how much japanese I've forgotten since I graduated haha. I'm hoping that they'll be other English speakers about. 1 or 2 would be enough lol. Yeah, I'll be getting a car~ I'm going to end up spending so much money on petrol.

Gas this morning was down to 128 in my area (pretty close to where you'll be.) Down from the 150s. Get a hybrid if you can afford a white plate.

sharpinthefang
January 22nd, 2015, 12:17
The FB group is ok, I'm also on there (see if you can find me haha!) but if you don't have FB its not worth making one for. I would suggest you make one as an easy way to update people at home about your photos and experiences. Works as well in a worse case scenario where something bad happens (i.e earthquake) and people can check there to see if you are ok.

Bokemon
January 23rd, 2015, 23:40
Hey everyone,

I've accepted a position with Interac and have sent off all my documentations for the COE. That said, does this mean there's no point doing the interview with JET? (I've read somewhere that you can only apply to the CoE once, can anybody confirm please.)

Also, how many times can I reject the placement offers? In the end, would Interac forcefully place me somewhere?

Cheers.

sharpinthefang
January 24th, 2015, 09:28
Thats a pretty good explanation but I will say one thing;

Private companies like Interac have incentive to keep both you and your schools happy

Not true, they know that every year there are people willing to replace the ones who leave, so that are not that bothered about helping you once you are over here and set up.

Ini
January 24th, 2015, 20:07
You can't double-apply because a CoE is basically your company going "I'm responsible for bringing this person to Japan", and they can't both be primarily responsible for you. I wouldn't recommend applying to JET because
a) it is a LONG, LONG application process (Interac's is less than half the time), and you're already in Interac. At this point you'd have to refuse your Interac position and wait a YEAR for JET... and then you might not even get in. If you'd rather be with JET, I'd recommend going with Interac and then just applying to JET for the following year (which you'd have to start about now) in Japan or before you leave. But again, know that even if you get in, you wouldn't be going until NEXT year.
b) JET kind of sucks sometimes... with JET you work not technically for JET but for your local Board of Education, which means that if you have an issue with a teacher or payment, you have to report your complaint to the people you're complaining about... not an effective system. Private companies like Interac have incentive to keep both you and your schools happy (since they want the schools to hire them, and they need people like you to sign up with them), whereas JET is technically a government agency. Since they don't profit, they have significantly less motivation to make it a good experience for you. Plus, while JET used to pay more than private companies like Interac, that's rapidly becoming less and less the case.
c) it is really hard to get into. Since JET costs schools so much more, fewer schools use it. As a result, there are fewer spots for JET to fill. This leads to increased competition.

Basically, JET isn't way better than most private companies (though it seems to get that reputation from people who've never been ALT's, for whatever reason), so there's not much benefit to switching, and even if you do switch, it'll be about a year before you start working, and that's only IF you get in.

Plus if you've already accepted a position with Interac, it's kind of douchey to drop them, since that means they're currently working on your behalf to get you working in Japan (at their busiest season of the year, no less).

Do what you want, but just some things to consider as you make your decision~

Also, as to rejecting placement offers, they work pretty hard to get you the placement you requested, so if you reject an offer, chances are about zero you're going to get a placement more like what you requested after that (and if you do, it's probably because someone dropped out, so who wants to go into that situation?). Basically, when you reject your placement you go back to the end of the line, which means you're getting leftover placements or placements that otherwise would've gone to people like you (who rejected). The first placement you get is always going to be the school that wants you the most, because they picked YOU out of all the candidates offered to them. By contrast, if you reject you get put into the "everyone here is getting whatever's left" group.

?????? Is this the CEO of interacs troll account?

Working for the government will always have more prestige than being a part time dispatch worker.

mothy
January 24th, 2015, 21:54
It does seem unbelievably pro-interac.

Ini
January 25th, 2015, 22:29
Interac doesnt care about the ALTs. They are so used to them quitting that they make a point during their pitch meetings to BOEs to say that if the ALT quits/is fired/dies they can have a replacement on site within a few hours.

ALTInsiderFY
January 25th, 2015, 23:33
Plus if Interac (or any ALT company) had tons of unhappy ALTs, they would get a bad reputation amongst possible ALTs and amongst schools (for providing ALTs that don't want to be there), so what I meant was that since their objective is to grow and be profitable while JETs goal is just to get ALTs, private companies might have more incentives to keep up a good rep for growth purposes.

On the surface I agree, but in practice this is just not the case. The thing is that even as Jet and Interac keep lowering salaries (Interac for higher profits, JET to stay competitive with them) the supply of ALTs that want to teach in Japan is not going down. Well not enough to not have a ready and willing, happy-to-be-teaching-in Japan ALT in every school that wants one.

Until salaries get low enough for that NOT to be the case, companies have no reason at all to care about employees. The allure/experience of Japan alone is strong enough to keep ALTs happy, or pretending to be happy while working so they can stay in Japan.

moonbeam
January 26th, 2015, 01:29
with JET you work not technically for JET but for your local Board of Education, which means that if you have an issue with a teacher or payment, you have to report your complaint to the people you're complaining about... not an effective system.

This is a weird thing to criticize since that's how it is with every other job out there. It is an effective system because you're dealing with the problems yourself with the people you're having the problem. Running to your parents (in this case, Interac) to have them deal with it isn't a very adult thing to do...

greyjoy
January 26th, 2015, 09:11
Why was the supposed shill post deleted?

mothy
January 26th, 2015, 09:23
Looks like he probably was unhappy we didn't like him blowing interac rainbows up our ass and asked for his account to be deleted.

ALTInsiderFY
January 26th, 2015, 09:45
He was probably an Interac higher-up who thought all the companies' ALTs would respond with comments like, "yeah you're right. Interac is the best!" "Wow I can tell how much Interac cares about me from their company policy of building long term relationships with employees!"

When that didn't happen, he didn't know how to handle it and we lost another account to deletion heaven.

kmep0
February 3rd, 2015, 02:00
To people from the UK, how long did Interac take before they got back to you after completing the online application? I got a feeling their March intake is sorted and now they'll be looking for folk for August.

lulabelle990
February 3rd, 2015, 02:14
for an interview? or waiting for a placement?

kmep0
February 3rd, 2015, 05:31
Hey Lula, just wondering how long it took for any sort of response from Interac after the initial online application. Could you give a quick timeline with your process?

lulabelle990
February 3rd, 2015, 05:49
I applied and then a week later i got a seminar invite. After the seminar/interview I heard back in 2 weeks with an offer of employment. (this was early October). I sent all my documents off by December. My arrival month was confirmed early last month and then I got my placement about 2 weeks ago :)

lulabelle990
February 3rd, 2015, 09:09
Hey, anyone know what LC code is?

FiveFootFurther
February 3rd, 2015, 14:37
I had a look through the Facebook group, the LC code is our employee number.

lulabelle990
February 3rd, 2015, 20:18
thought so :)

FiveFootFurther
February 3rd, 2015, 21:59
Anyone know when we get the pre-arrival training? Does it have anything to do with receiving your placement?
Still waiting on mine...

kmep0
February 3rd, 2015, 22:10
I applied and then a week later i got a seminar invite. After the seminar/interview I heard back in 2 weeks with an offer of employment. (this was early October). I sent all my documents off by December. My arrival month was confirmed early last month and then I got my placement about 2 weeks ago :)

Thanks for that Lula! The process seems quick! Didn't you have a phone interview? I got an email saying a recruiter will view my details, right after I sent off my online application.

lulabelle990
February 3rd, 2015, 22:18
kmep0, yeah I did. It was the day i got the seminar invite :)

lulabelle990
February 3rd, 2015, 22:20
Anyone know when we get the pre-arrival training? Does it have anything to do with receiving your placement?
Still waiting on mine...

Looking at the facebook group around last year, they got the online training invites in late Feb/early March :) Hope this helps~