PDA

View Full Version : Question regards the self declared medical form.

phillyjoeremarkable
November 9th, 2014, 21:06
Around eight and a half years ago I had bout of mild depression, and slight anxiety issues as a result of smoking pot. I was medicated for this, and obviously will be declaring it. Doctor is confident I will not be troubled by this, and between then and now, I have been in the Royal Navy, who have massively strict rules regarding past medical conditions.

How much detail am I expected to give? Should I explain why I suffered from these issues, ie. say I smoked a bit of pot and suffered adverse effects? Should I explain that this wasn't seen as an issue for the armed forces?

Sorry if this is the sort of thing that gets asked loads, but I can't figure out the search function as I'm on my phone.

Cheers.

Antonath
November 9th, 2014, 22:05
Admitting in your application that you took drugs (and pot is not considered any different to other drugs in Japan) will be a major black mark against you. If it's not a part of your criminal record, I would be tempted not to mention it at all. If you do have to mention it, it will come up at your interview, and your SOP should have a small section dedicated to how you've turned your life around. I would say mentioning the mild depression itself (because your doctor likely will) but not the cause is the safest route, but if you were successful and it came up in a later medical report, you would probably be in trouble.

I suspect one of our helpful coordinators will have better advice...

phillyjoeremarkable
November 9th, 2014, 23:32
True. From what I can make out about the medical certificate, should I be successful, they only really ask if you had issues with addiction/amphetamines.

haitch40
November 10th, 2014, 02:03
Admitting in your application that you took drugs (and pot is not considered any different to other drugs in Japan) will be a major black mark against you. If it's not a part of your criminal record, I would be tempted not to mention it at all. If you do have to mention it, it will come up at your interview, and your SOP should have a small section dedicated to how you've turned your life around. I would say mentioning the mild depression itself (because your doctor likely will) but not the cause is the safest route, but if you were successful and it came up in a later medical report, you would probably be in trouble.

I suspect one of our helpful coordinators will have better advice...
I thought drugs were the one thing that if you get caught then you will never get a visa.

phillyjoeremarkable
November 10th, 2014, 02:17
I thought drugs were the one thing that if you get caught then you will never get a visa.

I would've thought that would relate more to offences relating to, rather than having used for recreational purposes nearly a decade ago.

haitch40
November 10th, 2014, 02:47
I would've thought that would relate more to offences relating to, rather than having used for recreational purposes nearly a decade ago.
Ok the question I think now is.

Did you get caught? If the answer is no then don't mention it.

phillyjoeremarkable
November 10th, 2014, 03:18
Never got caught, but it will mention it on my medical records.

I will have to mention the incident on my medical self assessment, but will omit reasoning behind it.

SomePeopleJustSaySnow
November 10th, 2014, 09:12
Just asked my boss his opinion. His thinking is that essentially, stating it openly is a probable death sentence on your application. Not saying it and being found out when you were in japan would be even worse. But remember that he is a Japanese employer, and not necessarily representative of the view of a jet interview panel.

Edit: And just in case any applicant doesn't know, don't underestimate the Japanese opinion of illegal drugs in general. Famous figures in particular run the risk of being edited out of history, Stalin style, for being found with a bit of weed. It's not like the west, at all.

Zolrak 22
November 10th, 2014, 09:35
Not asking you to lie, but should you really have to mention the reason for the depression?

Isn't it enough for them to know you no longer suffer any symptoms nor have any need for medication?

You'd be sinking your own boat by mentioning any kind of drug, even if it's one that can't cause addiction.

greyjoy
November 10th, 2014, 10:56
Never got caught, but it will mention it on my medical records.

What do you mean by this? I'm not an expert in doctor patient confidentiality, but I'd have to wager your medical records, at least that which is subject to a background check, wouldn't begin to get into that level of detail.

haitch40
November 10th, 2014, 11:14
Edit: And just in case any applicant doesn't know, don't underestimate the Japanese opinion of illegal drugs in general. Famous figures in particular run the risk of being edited out of history, Stalin style, for being found with a bit of weed. It's not like the west, at all.
The thing is weed was legal until the US decided to ban it when they occupied.

SomePeopleJustSaySnow
November 10th, 2014, 11:16
Yeah, but i'd bet most Japanese people won't ever bring up that bit of history.

sharpinthefang
November 10th, 2014, 13:27
Yeah, but i'd bet most Japanese people won't ever bring up that bit of history.

A bit of 'Don't mention the war!'
(Will put the sketch in later if people are not familier with Faulty Towers)

sourdoughsushi
November 10th, 2014, 13:34
If you mention drugs, you will likely not get in. That was a different time. Seeing as you probably don't intend to do drugs in Japan, I would either leave it out completely or leave out the marijuana. Your past doesn't have to be a death sentence.

phillyjoeremarkable
November 10th, 2014, 16:49
What do you mean by this? I'm not an expert in doctor patient confidentiality, but I'd have to wager your medical records, at least that which is subject to a background check, wouldn't begin to get into that level of detail.

Someone mentioned criminal records, was just saying I was never in trouble because of it. Criminal record is clean as a whistle. Not sure why they would look further into medical history when a person is out there.

I'm going to guess that depression/anxiety is that common, they will likely see it and look to see what my doctor says in relation to it not having been an issue since it occurred, then move on.

Shincantsen
November 10th, 2014, 23:40
They have no access to your medical records - why would they? That's confidential stuff, and you haven't given permission to share them. Share what you need to (the mild depression), but leave the reason out of it, and ask your doctor if they can omit it from the Physician's Form.

JET ProgramCoordinator SF
November 11th, 2014, 03:26
The only advice I have is to follow the procedures described on the application and answer all of the questions asked. Because this is a mental illness / condition you will need to complete a Physician's Form. Have your physician answer the questions on the form in full and turn it in. If they write about the initial cause of your symptom and you are asked about it in your interview, be completely honest with us. We're not stupid or unfair. The only thing that can be a surefire way to disqualify yourself is to lie to us.

mothy
November 11th, 2014, 10:28
Of course the JET program coordinator wants you to disclose everything. But in the real world they have no way of knowing so only disclose what's necessary.

greyjoy
November 11th, 2014, 10:33
Yeah, a more accurate way of putting San Fran's advice is that the only sure fire way to disqualify yourself is to get caught lying to them.

miamicoordinator
November 11th, 2014, 11:16
Around eight and a half years ago I had bout of mild depression, and slight anxiety issues as a result of smoking pot. I was medicated for this, and obviously will be declaring it. Doctor is confident I will not be troubled by this, and between then and now, I have been in the Royal Navy, who have massively strict rules regarding past medical conditions.

How much detail am I expected to give? Should I explain why I suffered from these issues, ie. say I smoked a bit of pot and suffered adverse effects? Should I explain that this wasn't seen as an issue for the armed forces?

Sorry if this is the sort of thing that gets asked loads, but I can't figure out the search function as I'm on my phone.

Cheers.

Just to chime in here. SF has made it pretty clear what the official stance on these things are and what will happen if you are caught lying.

I will say one thing here about Japan and marijuana. Marijuana is viewed as one of the worst drugs in Japan. Medical marijuana does not exist in Japan, and it would not be understood over there. I am sure a large majority of the applicants who apply for JET have tried some recreational drugs in their lifetime, but they don't bring it up in the interview. I noticed you said you were in the royal navy, which I guess means you will be applying in the UK? I can tell you one thing though, the Royal Navy may have strict protocols against past medical conditions, but they don't hold a candle against Japan.

The only thing that really concerns me is that you said that the marijuana usage is on your medical history. I am unfamiliar with how deep the British CoH goes, but the U.S. one asks for quite a bit of info.

sharpinthefang
November 11th, 2014, 11:40
Just to chime in here. SF has made it pretty clear what the official stance on these things are and what will happen if you are caught lying.

I will say one thing here about Japan and marijuana. Marijuana is viewed as one of the worst drugs in Japan. Medical marijuana does not exist in Japan, and it would not be understood over there. I am sure a large majority of the applicants who apply for JET have tried some recreational drugs in their lifetime, but they don't bring it up in the interview. I noticed you said you were in the royal navy, which I guess means you will be applying in the UK? I can tell you one thing though, the Royal Navy may have strict protocols against past medical conditions, but they don't hold a candle against Japan.

The only thing that really concerns me is that you said that the marijuana usage is on your medical history. I am unfamiliar with how deep the British CoH goes, but the U.S. one asks for quite a bit of info.

Stereotype much MC?
And the medical form just asks for chest x-ray, urine samples, and that. I believe its the same form as the US one as it has many USturns of phrase regarding some of the requirements. For the mental health, the Dr should just list that you had depression but not the reason. Would they list other reasons for causing depression? But as always, check with your doctor. Ask them what they would say on the follow up form.

miamicoordinator
November 11th, 2014, 12:02
Stereotype much MC?

Nah, i don't think so. I didn't say that the majority of applicants were drugs addicts. Just that my opinion is that the majority 21-40 year olds have at least tried some form of recreational drugs in their lifetime. Of course there are people who never have tried a drug in their life ever, but those are the minority generally speaking.

word
November 11th, 2014, 15:38
I think you should include it and mention it.