PDA

View Full Version : Proof of Graduation question

YeezyMode
November 18th, 2014, 03:17
Hey guys,

I'm a Canadian undergraduate applying for JET. I've got all my documents in order but am having some trouble with the proof of graduation portion. One of my references who is a professor has confirmed my graduation date as June 2015 according to my degree and its requirements. Basically after this fall term and the upcoming winter term, I have 2 credits that I'm finishing at the end of May (or first week of June). The registration for spring courses is not open yet and so my registrar doesn't seem to be able to give me a letter saying that I'll be graduating at that time. What do I do about this? Thanks in advance for your help.

miamicoordinator
November 18th, 2014, 04:36
Hey guys,

I'm a Canadian undergraduate applying for JET. I've got all my documents in order but am having some trouble with the proof of graduation portion. One of my references who is a professor has confirmed my graduation date as June 2015 according to my degree and its requirements. Basically after this fall term and the upcoming winter term, I have 2 credits that I'm finishing at the end of May (or first week of June). The registration for spring courses is not open yet and so my registrar doesn't seem to be able to give me a letter saying that I'll be graduating at that time. What do I do about this? Thanks in advance for your help.

Tokyo is very strict when it comes to Proof of Graduation. The reason is, you cannot get an instructor visa unless you have completed your Bachelor's degree. This is one of the requirements that they push the hardest for.

I am unsure how strict the Canadian coordinators are, but in the U.S.,m if you cannot provide proof of graduation from the registrar's office, your application will instantly be thrown out. In fact, this is the reason why many applications do not make it past the initial screening. Some registrar's put vague things like "Summer 2015" which can be before of after departure date.

You definitely want to talk to your school and explain the situation to them. Sometimes in the States, coordinators need to talk to the registrar's office directly to explain to them that without that letter you cannot apply. I do not know if the Canadian coordinators will do that for you, but we do on occasion. If you cannot get your registrar to provide the letter for you, then you definitely need to get in contact with your coordinator because they are really the only ones who can help you in a situation like this.

Best of luck,

MC

tobio
November 18th, 2014, 04:45
Canadian applicant here, as well! I'm in the same boat as you when it comes to graduating but getting my proof of graduation was pretty easy! Have you tried your faculty's office? I went to the faculty of arts and explained my situation and they did me up a letter. It shouldn't matter that spring courses aren't up yet - they'll probably just attach a sentence like, "provided completion of the spring semester" or something like that.

YeezyMode
November 18th, 2014, 04:46
Thank you for the detailed response. I contacted my coordinator in Ottawa and was told that as long as a letter is provided by a member of faculty on official paperwork saying that I'm completing my undergraduate studies in June 2015, my application will be accepted. I'm still going to try and get the registrar to understand the situation and give me the document but thankfully if that doesn't happen, I still have a backup.

YeezyMode
November 18th, 2014, 05:13
Yes my faculty chair just got back to me and they're comfortable with providing me a conditional letter of that sort. Thanks for the advice! Good luck to you.

tobio
November 18th, 2014, 09:23
I'm glad it worked out! Good luck to you, too!

phillyjoeremarkable
November 21st, 2014, 04:50
How important is it that it is stamped?

tobio
November 21st, 2014, 06:30
How important is it that it is stamped?

Mine wasn't stamped but it had the contact information to my faculty. It also had proper letterhead. As long as it has stuff like that I assume it's fine.