PDA

View Full Version : JET Desk and Deducting Points

balderdash7
November 21st, 2014, 02:44
Hi, I am new here and I hope to make a lot of wonderful connections in ITIL.

So, the deadline for JET Application for Canada is tomorrow, November 21. I was trying to get some help from the JET Desk in Toronto and called this morning about 4 times. One, because the Self-Assessment Medical Form auto-fills the name. The form asks for Middle Initial but the system automatically fills in the whole Middle Name. I asked and the lady told me it was fine. Second, I wasn't sure about abbreviating the institution where I took my Japanese Courses. It's long and the space won't let me fill it up properly so I asked for directions. Third and fourth, I called because I am currently studying at university but I graduated last June. I am just taking some courses for Masters. Then the lady got annoyed and told me to stop calling because I've called significantly more than other participants and she's going to start deducting points if I call again. She told me that I need to complete the application on my own. I think I've called a few times before but other days because I needed help with other things and the application is not exactly that straightforward to begin with. It's like a landmine waiting to be stepped on. I do feel annoyed and stupid. Does anybody else have the same problem or am I the only tenacious applicant here?

Also, the lady talking about deducting points scares me. I haven't even submitted the application yet and she's talking about deductions already. It says, "Do not hesitate to contact us if you have questions". Maybe they should put a warning label somewhere that says, only call a maximum of 3 times. I just wanted to complete my application properly and I thought it would be best to ask if I don't know rather than have points taken because of a small error I could've prevented.

word
November 21st, 2014, 09:22
First, I think you're overthinking this quite a bit. Most of these issues are quite trivial and would never result in any significant consequences.

Second, I part of the issue is likely the fact that you're calling so much on the day before the application is due. This might give an impression that you'd procrastinated a bit, which would result in less sympathy on the part of the helpdesk staffer.

Also, I kinda wonder how you are on the phone. Are you polite, or pushy? Relaxed, or high-strung? Cool, or kinda crazy? If you're in the latter of any of those, it might be compounding the issue here.

Try to calm down and remember that these people are probably fed up with freaked-out applicants contacting them about inconsequential stuff like abbreviations and initials, especially since the application deadline is tomorrow. You can always ask questions here, too, or by email. Don't worry too much, though! The success or failure of your application is not going to depend on whether or not you properly abbreviated a university course name, I promise.

mothy
November 21st, 2014, 09:22
That lady sounds like a bitch. But I really don't understand why you would need to call them so much. The application really isn't that difficult.

SomePeopleJustSaySnow
November 21st, 2014, 09:30
The success or failure of your application is not going to depend on whether or not you properly abbreviated a university course name, I promise.

... but might well hang on whether you piss off the people working the helpdesk. Like Word said, relax - a few mistakes in the application forms are much easier to get by than a black mark against your name due to your over-the-phone conduct.

balderdash7
November 21st, 2014, 10:02
Thank you for your comment. I am trying to calm down now. I finished early actually and I submitted my application yesterday and I had it unsubmitted to fix something.

The reason why I called multiple times was because I had static interfering so I had to hang up and called twice. Dunno if it counts since the lady heard it too.

I was very polite with her because I appreciate her help and I apologized for calling multiple times. I just wanted to do the application properly and I didn't think she'd snap at me like that.

But thank you so much for your comment and putting my heart at ease. Here comes the waiting part and I hope it's good news. Thank you!

BeckyJones
November 21st, 2014, 10:06
I think you should call them again, calmly tell them your name, phone number and why you are calling while apologizing for the amount of calls. Ask the receptionist for her name and security number and say that you would like to file an open records request on the point deduction policy.

balderdash7
November 21st, 2014, 11:28
First, I think you're overthinking this quite a bit. Most of these issues are quite trivial and would never result in any significant consequences.

Second, I part of the issue is likely the fact that you're calling so much on the day before the application is due. This might give an impression that you'd procrastinated a bit, which would result in less sympathy on the part of the helpdesk staffer.

Also, I kinda wonder how you are on the phone. Are you polite, or pushy? Relaxed, or high-strung? Cool, or kinda crazy? If you're in the latter of any of those, it might be compounding the issue here.

Try to calm down and remember that these people are probably fed up with freaked-out applicants contacting them about inconsequential stuff like abbreviations and initials, especially since the application deadline is tomorrow. You can always ask questions here, too, or by email. Don't worry too much, though! The success or failure of your application is not going to depend on whether or not you properly abbreviated a university course name, I promise.

Hi! Thank you so much for your comment. I am calming down now. I finished quite early actually. I submitted it yesterday but I had it un-submitted because I noticed something that had to be fixed but it turns out that it's a problem with the application itself.

I had to call twice--there was static on the phone and the lady and I couldn't hear each other. I was very polite and apologized when she told me off. I asked her if I was gonna get points deducted from my previous calls but she told me she can't tell me about it and asked me never to call again. I never thought you'd get points deducted by asking help from JET Desk which was supposed to help applicants anyway.

But I already submitted and posted my application so I can't do anything about it now. It was just so off-putting the way the lady told me off. I wonder if I can talk to someone from the management or committee about it.

But thank you for your comment. I really appreciate it.

BeckyJones
November 21st, 2014, 11:32
I think you should call them again, calmly tell them your name, phone number and why you are calling while apologizing for the amount of calls. Ask the receptionist for her name and security number and say that you would like to file an open records request on the point deduction policy.

DO THIS OP. They have to give you the records, and it goes in their official file. It will also alert the higher ups to your plight.

Fight the system.

balderdash7
November 21st, 2014, 11:33
She was very helpful actually. But I had trouble with filling out my education section because someone from my university (the admin for scholarships/applications) told me not to put my status as an extended education student because I actually graduated last June. So I just confirmed it with the JET Desk.

uthinkimlost?
November 21st, 2014, 11:34

balderdash7
November 21st, 2014, 11:45
DO THIS OP. They have to give you the records, and it goes in their official file. It will also alert the higher ups to your plight.

Fight the system.

Thanks for the tip. I'm just not sure if I should do this because I don't want to make it worse for me. I'm worried she'll put a tack on my record if I call again. And I'm also not sure if my previous calls are counted because I did call before or if it's just for today.

SomePeopleJustSaySnow
November 21st, 2014, 12:00
UThink put it best.

balderdash7
November 27th, 2014, 00:20
Just a quick update. I contacted my JET Coordinator and explained to him what happened. He called the Coordinator in Ottawa and my Coordinator told me that there won't be any deductions from my conversations with the JET Desk and my application will be graded fairly.

What a relief! Thank you guys!

SomePeopleJustSaySnow
November 27th, 2014, 07:16
Nicely handled, Balder. Good luck with the application.

Zolrak 22
November 27th, 2014, 07:25
I really doubt they would have said otherwise, unless you caused a commotion over the phone.

uthinkimlost?
November 27th, 2014, 07:43
I really doubt they would have SAID otherwise, but what they DO is entirely up in the air.

Fixt.

Take this incident as a life lesson.

BeckyJones
November 27th, 2014, 08:57
it will be decided by くくちゃん anyways.
so it doesn't matter what YOU do.

JET ProgramCoordinator SF
December 2nd, 2014, 05:02
While I can't comment on the Canadian system, I can say that points won't be deducted for repeat questions. The review system has enough checks and balances in place that we could neither artificially lower or raise somebody's score. Even if a JET PC was your friend, there's really no way we can "push" your application through the system. Nepotism doesn't work in the JET world.

It's my personal belief that it's part of our job to help people with any and all questions. Sure, a lot of the questions tend to come from the same repeat emailers or callers, and it does make us worry a little if that candidate will be okay if they went to Japan because when compared to other people who don't ask questions it could seem like the person asking questions isn't as "capable" as other candidates, but you could also flip that around and say that those who ask a lot of questions are more likely to really care about getting onto the program and are taking the extra step to confirm that everything is okay, rather than brazenly thinking that they've done everything right when really they messed up. I'm sorry to hear that you had issues with whoever you were speaking to, but hopefully Miami JET PC and I, who spend our free time on these forums answering everyone's questions, can make your experience better :)

SomePeopleJustSaySnow
December 5th, 2014, 16:06
Nepotism doesn't work in the JET world.

HA!

balderdash7
December 7th, 2014, 12:47
Thank you JET Program Coordinator SF and thank you for helping us here in the forum. I just really wanted to do the application properly. I thought it was better to confirm with things I was unsure of.

And I am learning a lot of things here about JET and the application process. Thanks guys!