PDA

View Full Version : After application process?

hiddenlee22
November 21st, 2014, 06:19
Hi all,

My question is what happens after we hand in our application? By that which I mean, what is the processing like? Does one person look at our apps or do multiple people, what happens after they say (yes) or (no), etc.?

If anyone with a bit of insight on this could shed some light it would be very much so appreciated.

I'm just anxious about the how thing and would like to know a little more about the process.

Thanks!

JET ProgramCoordinator SF
November 21st, 2014, 08:22
We can say that your application, assuming that it is not marked as incomplete and instantly DQed due to missing required documents, is analyzed over at the Embassy. In early January a list of numbers will go up online. If your JET Application # matches one of those numbers, you will be invited to an interview.

That's about all we can tell you. The best thing you can do now is to not worry about your application and just start focusing on whatever else is happening in your life.

webstaa
November 21st, 2014, 08:43
MC and the SF coordinator are around, but they're probably busy doing the actual work you want to know about instead of lurking the forum now.

AFAIK, when they get your packet, it's opened and the SASE is sent with a card saying "Here is your application number."

Then its checked for completeness - if you got it in early, they'll let you know if you missed anything. (For example, I missed a signature - they emailed me back a scan, I printed it, signed it, scanned it to show them and sent that copy by mail as well.)

Then they evaluate the content of the application - look for things that would disqualify participants otherwise (any number of things really.) I don't know if that is done at the local consulate or if they send everything to Tokyo. But through some voodoo that they do they choose who to give interviews to. (Timeline - now until end of Decemberish.) They'll publish a list of application ID numbers on their website and contact people to set up interviews.

Interviews are in late January/early February now (AFAIK.) At my consulate, there were three days you could come down and have your interview.

The interviews are a panel of 3 people - a Japanese consular worker (native speaker,) a former JET, and someone else. Mine was a Japanese language and culture educator from a local major university. I'm sure there are other threads that go into the interview in more detail. Anyways, they give you a rating.

Then everything is shipped off to Tokyo, where CLAIR chooses who to put on the shortlist and wait-list. (During Feb-May.) Those that are listed do more paperwork, and eventually are matched with placements. (Placement info usually comes out in late May early June.)

therealwindycity
November 21st, 2014, 11:07
From what I know, applications are screened at the national level first by a team of temporary employees the embassy hires to evaluate them and assign points. It would be way too many applications for the coordinators to handle on top of their other work. One the deadline has passed and people aren't contacting them to ask questions any more, the local coordinators aren't really involved in the process until interviews and placement. Every application that gets enough points will proceed to the interview stage, though that number varies a lot based on the number of employers in Japan seeking to hire the following year.

hiddenlee22
November 21st, 2014, 23:14
Then they evaluate the content of the application - look for things that would disqualify participants otherwise (any number of things really.) I don't know if that is done at the local consulate or if they send everything to Tokyo. But through some voodoo that they do they choose who to give interviews to. (Timeline - now until end of Decemberish.) They'll publish a list of application ID numbers on their website and contact people to set up interviews.

That's actually what I was hoping someone would say. What/why is our application sent to Tokyo if the decision is made at the embassy?

greyjoy
November 21st, 2014, 23:24
The decision to grant interviews is made at the embassy. The actual hiring is done by Tokyo, based on their recommendations. An applicant might be recommended highly by the interview panel, but still not get in for some reason, or might not be recommended, but still get in for yet another reason.

Shincantsen
November 21st, 2014, 23:45
From what I know, applications are screened at the national level first by a team of temporary employees the embassy hires to evaluate them and assign points. It would be way too many applications for the coordinators to handle on top of their other work. One the deadline has passed and people aren't contacting them to ask questions any more, the local coordinators aren't really involved in the process until interviews and placement. Every application that gets enough points will proceed to the interview stage, though that number varies a lot based on the number of employers in Japan seeking to hire the following year.

This is the closest. Screened at the embassy first by one group to check for completeness, to make sure all the pages are in order and properly copied, and check for reasons for disqualification (crazy medical condition, missing courses on transcript, late graduation, etc). Then they're passed off to a different group that actually reads and evaluates the app and assigns points. After all the apps are done there is a point cut-off designated for who will get an interview and who won't.

Viral
November 22nd, 2014, 00:12
And this point system... any one have any info on it? I read somewhere that listed a breakdown of it based on an old book written when the JET programme was founded, but A) can't find it again, and B) probably no longer that relevant...

miamicoordinator
November 22nd, 2014, 00:49
And this point system... any one have any info on it? I read somewhere that listed a breakdown of it based on an old book written when the JET programme was founded, but A) can't find it again, and B) probably no longer that relevant...

Any information you find on the point system(as in how many points are awarded from each section) is going to be outdated because the guidelines change every year.
Basically everything on the application is worth X amount of points. Depending on the completeness of your paperwork, you are awarded a certain number. Things like your SoP are also awarded points, but the actual amount of points given is highly dependent on your reviewer. Once the reviewing of your application has been completed, you will get an overall score.

Since we cannot interview all of the people who apply for the program there will inevitably be a cut off score. Anyone above X amount of points will be offered an interview.

therealwindycity
November 22nd, 2014, 01:02
That's actually what I was hoping someone would say. What/why is our application sent to Tokyo if the decision is made at the embassy?

The people who actually hire the JETs are local education boards, so the information about qualified applicants has to be sent to Japan for them to make the final decision. Some education boards want candidates who can drive, some want American females with high Japanese ability, some want only Scottish guys because they had a good experience with a Scottish guy once, etc. So as greyjoy said, the final hiring decision isn't technically made by the coordinators in your home country, but they do decide who gets onto the shortlist, and it's unusual for someone to make the shortlist and not get hired.

November 22nd, 2014, 02:30
MC and the SF coordinator are around, but they're probably busy doing the actual work you want to know about instead of lurking the forum now.

We're always watching...O_O

As others have mentioned, there's a system in place to quantify the quality of an application. We offer the best applications an interview. As therealwindycity mentioned, each JET participant is requested by a Contracting Organization in Japan, who have their own preferences. The number of COs that request JETs determines the amount of JETs, as well as what country participants. Tokyo makes the final decision on who gets accepted, not the Embassy or Consulates.

The only thing I can say about the application review system is that it's fairly intuitive. If documents leaked online about how it works, I think most people would think "Oh...well that makes sense." If you listen to your friendly neighborhood JET PC we usually let on quite a lot as to what's important and what's not ("Hey guys, spend a lot of time on your Statement of Purpose, it's reallllly important! / Good GPA is always going to look better, but there are other, much more pertinent qualities that we look for in a JET."). Same thing with the interviews - I tell everyone that the kinds of questions we ask are the kinds of questions that your family and friends are going to be asking you: "You're going to Japan? How are you going to adjust? How are you going to be a good teacher if you've never taught before? What are you going to do if you get homesick or don't like your placement?"

hiddenlee22
December 2nd, 2014, 03:35
See, it's this point system that confuses me. What do you mean exactly do you mean when you say "completeness"? (I know you probably can't answer that, it just sucks that the JET Program isn't as transparent about what they want)

Which brings me to my next point as to why lesser qualified candidates still make it into the program. I've perused this site quite a bit and found that general consensus on those who are given interviews (and subsequently hired) is almost random. A perfect application doesn't guarantee anything. There are numerous current and past JETs who say "this person was ____ (insert horrible name here), how in the hell did they get this job?" I understand that some 'slip through the cracks', but how is it that applicant A--who is more qualified than applicant B--is not awarded an interview and applicant B is?

miamicoordinator
December 2nd, 2014, 04:43
See, it's this point system that confuses me. What do you mean exactly do you mean when you say "completeness"? (I know you probably can't answer that, it just sucks that the JET Program isn't as transparent about what they want)

Which brings me to my next point as to why lesser qualified candidates still make it into the program. I've perused this site quite a bit and found that general consensus on those who are given interviews (and subsequently hired) is almost random. A perfect application doesn't guarantee anything. There are numerous current and past JETs who say "this person was ____ (insert horrible name here), how in the hell did they get this job?" I understand that some 'slip through the cracks', but how is it that applicant A--who is more qualified than applicant B--is not awarded an interview and applicant B is?

As far as the application process is concerned, the JET program is very transpaprent about what needs to be submitted. What I think you are refering to is what happens during the review stage. The reviewers are tasked with the job of allocating points to the application depending on certain criteria. There are parts of the application (like the SoP) which are more subjective in terms of points given. Then there are others parts which are not subjective at all and strict guidelines from Tokyo need to be followed. You are given a list of requirements that you need to submit. Somethings on the list are required (much like Bachelor's degrees and being a citizen of X country) and other things are optional, but help when it comes to scoring (as in international experience, Japanese language study etc..) Each section of the application is worth a certain amoint of points. Those applicants who have traveled abroad, studied Japanese, have classroom teaching experience, and have TEFL certifications for example will be awarded a certain amount of points depending on the completeness of the section.

For example, someone who has traveled to 10 different countries, and studied Japanese for 4 years in college would be scored higher(in those sections) than someone who has never left their city, and studied swahili in school. But if the student with no Japanese ability had a better SoP, then it is possible their overall application score would be higher than the other applicant.

I can guarantee you that who is given interviews is certainly not random. Imperfect? Absolutely, but not random. The way it works is quite simple really.
Lets say there are 5000 applications this year, and 1000 spots open for new JETs from the U.S. (other countries have their own numbers). We normally try to interview a little over double the number of open spots required, so lets say we will interview 2200 people this year. How do we pick who the 2200 people are? It is simple, we figure out the cut of score. We take the top 2200 people from the applicant list and lets say number 2200 got a score of 60. Anyone under 60 will not get an interview. It is as simple as that. Who gets an interview just depends on the amount of available positions, and your overall score during the review process.

What makes a perfect application is much more than whether or not you have submitted all the documents. Like I have said before, much depends on how the reviewer scores your SoP, and what your recommendation letters say. I can tell you that I have never seen a perfect score during the review process.

Now, are there great applicants that don't get interviews every year? I am sure there are. Are there wackos that make it to the interview stage and somehow make it through? You betcha. Some people look amazing on paper. They "seem" to be the perfect JET candidate, yet when they get to the interview, they totally bomb it. There are others that just barely made it through the review process and interviewed amazingly and are at the top of our recommendation list. The problem is, we only get 20 minutes with the applicants. All someone has to do is play the part for a short period of time and hope the review panel doesn't see through their facade.

As for your last point of how is it that applicant A who is more qualified gets an interview and not applicant B, it could be a variety of reasons. During the review process, what makes someone more qualified is strictly mathmatical. Who got the highest overall score. In my previous example, I mentioned the one applicant who may have "done everything right" for their application, but their SoP was not as strong as the other applicant, which might give them an edge when it comes to the final score. It could be something as simple as them forgeting an important document in the application? Maybe the people who wrote their recommendation letters gave the reviewer insight that the applicant may not be the best JET.

MC

hiddenlee22
December 2nd, 2014, 05:24
As far as the application process is concerned, the JET program is very transpaprent about what needs to be submitted. What I think you are refering to is what happens during the review stage. The reviewers are tasked with the job of allocating points to the application depending on certain criteria. There are parts of the application (like the SoP) which are more subjective in terms of points given. Then there are others parts which are not subjective at all and strict guidelines from Tokyo need to be followed. You are given a list of requirements that you need to submit. Somethings on the list are required (much like Bachelor's degrees and being a citizen of X country) and other things are optional, but help when it comes to scoring (as in international experience, Japanese language study etc..) Each section of the application is worth a certain amoint of points. Those applicants who have traveled abroad, studied Japanese, have classroom teaching experience, and have TEFL certifications for example will be awarded a certain amount of points depending on the completeness of the section.

For example, someone who has traveled to 10 different countries, and studied Japanese for 4 years in college would be scored higher(in those sections) than someone who has never left their city, and studied swahili in school. But if the student with no Japanese ability had a better SoP, then it is possible their overall application score would be higher than the other applicant.

I can guarantee you that who is given interviews is certainly not random. Imperfect? Absolutely, but not random. The way it works is quite simple really.
Lets say there are 5000 applications this year, and 1000 spots open for new JETs from the U.S. (other countries have their own numbers). We normally try to interview a little over double the number of open spots required, so lets say we will interview 2200 people this year. How do we pick who the 2200 people are? It is simple, we figure out the cut of score. We take the top 2200 people from the applicant list and lets say number 2200 got a score of 60. Anyone under 60 will not get an interview. It is as simple as that. Who gets an interview just depends on the amount of available positions, and your overall score during the review process.

What makes a perfect application is much more than whether or not you have submitted all the documents. Like I have said before, much depends on how the reviewer scores your SoP, and what your recommendation letters say. I can tell you that I have never seen a perfect score during the review process.

Now, are there great applicants that don't get interviews every year? I am sure there are. Are there wackos that make it to the interview stage and somehow make it through? You betcha. Some people look amazing on paper. They "seem" to be the perfect JET candidate, yet when they get to the interview, they totally bomb it. There are others that just barely made it through the review process and interviewed amazingly and are at the top of our recommendation list. The problem is, we only get 20 minutes with the applicants. All someone has to do is play the part for a short period of time and hope the review panel doesn't see through their facade.

As for your last point of how is it that applicant A who is more qualified gets an interview and not applicant B, it could be a variety of reasons. During the review process, what makes someone more qualified is strictly mathmatical. Who got the highest overall score. In my previous example, I mentioned the one applicant who may have "done everything right" for their application, but their SoP was not as strong as the other applicant, which might give them an edge when it comes to the final score. It could be something as simple as them forgeting an important document in the application? Maybe the people who wrote their recommendation letters gave the reviewer insight that the applicant may not be the best JET.

MC

Thank you! I appreciate you taking the time to write that and explaining everything. I apologize for the way my post may have been taken, I didn't mean to come across as crass about what I was asking. At least now I understand a bit more about the process and realize that it isn't as random as some might believe. Also it is nice to know we have people like you around who are willing to take time to inform others about these misconceptions!

And that is exactly what I meant about transparency (probably should have clarified that).

miamicoordinator
December 2nd, 2014, 05:28
Thank you! I appreciate you taking the time to write that and explaining everything. I apologize for the way my post may have been taken, I didn't mean to come across as crass about what I was asking. At least now I understand a bit more about the process and realize that it isn't as random as some might believe. Also it is nice to know we have people like you around who are willing to take time to inform others about these misconceptions!

And that is exactly what I meant about transparency (probably should have clarified that).

No need to apologize. In the past, the JET Program a harsh reputation of being very secretive. No feedback was ever given about interviews, everything was kept a secret, it was a mess. Things now are a bit better I think. I totally understand where these ideas came from and definitely do not fault those who feel that way. There are things that happen that even can frustrate us (when it comes to transparency from Tokyo side), but sometimes even we have to roll with the punches.

Best of luck on your application!

Shincantsen
December 3rd, 2014, 00:39
I also think it's underestimated how many applications get disqualified for being incomplete. It's not just people who make huge glaring errors or neglect to include some required papers - it can be a very small problem that unfortunately makes the whole thing inadmissible (such as a missing signature, missing course on transcript, proof of grad signed by the wrong person, etc). I think that's an explanation for how some very strong candidates who seem to tick all the right boxes don't get an interview.

December 3rd, 2014, 03:16
I also think it's underestimated how many applications get disqualified for being incomplete. It's not just people who make huge glaring errors or neglect to include some required papers - it can be a very small problem that unfortunately makes the whole thing inadmissible (such as a missing signature, missing course on transcript, proof of grad signed by the wrong person, etc). I think that's an explanation for how some very strong candidates who seem to tick all the right boxes don't get an interview.

It's a large number that get instantly disqualified because of an incomplete application - I don't know the exact number but I think it's something like 20%! We had a stellar candidate for two years who applied and never got an interview. Last year he told me everything he had in his packet and I told him he was forgetting the transcripts from his community college. The #1 reason why people get disqualified is because they don't turn in all their transcripts. He turned them in last year and was accepted. Just always be sure you have everything done properly!

BarnSwallow
December 3rd, 2014, 03:33
I really appreciate the transparent and insightful information!

I'm glad that I quadruple, quintuple, whatever, checked everything now, because I'm sure I wont at least be a part of that instantly disqualified group. :)

hiddenlee22
December 3rd, 2014, 06:05
It's a large number that get instantly disqualified because of an incomplete application - I don't know the exact number but I think it's something like 20%! We had a stellar candidate for two years who applied and never got an interview. Last year he told me everything he had in his packet and I told him he was forgetting the transcripts from his community college. The #1 reason why people get disqualified is because they don't turn in all their transcripts. He turned them in last year and was:D accepted. Just always be sure you have everything done properly!

(All speculative) 20% of 5,000 applicants is 1,000 applications instantly disqualified...

Well, on the bright side, I guess the odds are a bit better to be selected than people may think (so long as you did the app right).

par92186
December 4th, 2014, 08:41
At least for me, the application portion was by faaaaar the most difficult part of the entire application experience (aside from the waiting of course). There's a lot of wait time between when you mail your app, the time it takes for you to be evaluated, and finally for interview results to be posted. I sh*t you not, i literally had nightmares that I forgot to sign something, copy a document, or had all the correct formatting for my SOP. I wouldn't wish that anxiety upon anyone. However, I did make it into the program, so all the stressing wasn't in vain.

To pass the time, I'd highly suggest watching some youtube videos on the "JET interview" to get yourself prepared for when those results do get posted in 2 months. Take the time to enjoy the holidays and of course studying a little japanese won't hurt either. Best of luck to all of you!

Gizmotech
December 4th, 2014, 10:18
You know, many people recommend becoming more involved/invested in jet before the interview stage. I think that's a terrible idea. You've fired off the application, now forget about it until you hear back again. Same thing after the interview. The more invested you get the worse your disappointment could be if you don't make it.

haitch40
December 4th, 2014, 21:24
(All speculative) 20% of 5,000 applicants is 1,000 applications instantly disqualified...

Well, on the bright side, I guess the odds are a bit better to be selected than people may think (so long as you did the app right).
Do you know how many actually make it? About 30% of the people who apply I think I read somewhere.

hiddenlee22
December 5th, 2014, 06:15
Do you know how many actually make it? About 30% of the people who apply I think I read somewhere.

I've posted about this in another thread, but from what I've seen and been told the number isn't definitive.

THESE ARE NOT 'SOLID' STATISTICS: Accordingly to the JET website, for U.S. applicants they received (in the previous years) 5,000+ applications. Going on what the coordinator said, roughly 20% of those apps are disqualified because of mistakes with the app so that leaves 4,000+ apps. They award interviews based on the number of spots available. So, assuming they need 1,000 spots filed, they interview (generally double) 2,000+ applicants.

Based on the above: Of the 4,000+ apps, 2,000+ people aren't awarded interviews and another 1,000+ (given interviews) aren't shortlisted.

Feel free to correct me if I am wrong.

haitch40
December 5th, 2014, 06:53
I've posted about this in another thread, but from what I've seen and been told the number isn't definitive.

THESE ARE NOT 'SOLID' STATISTICS: Accordingly to the JET website, for U.S. applicants they received (in the previous years) 5,000+ applications. Going on what the coordinator said, roughly 20% of those apps are disqualified because of mistakes with the app so that leaves 4,000+ apps. They award interviews based on the number of spots available. So, assuming they need 1,000 spots filed, they interview (generally double) 2,000+ applicants.

Based on the above: Of the 4,000+ apps, 2,000+ people aren't awarded interviews and another 1,000+ (given interviews) aren't shortlisted.

Feel free to correct me if I am wrong.
Well obviously they are not solid statistics as it all depends on the quality of the applicants that year. I was just giving a rough total.

gibbity
December 5th, 2014, 07:40
If you all want a little 'pick-up' in regards to acceptance rates... apparently there is some projected budget increases and such coming down the way for gov/educational expenses. Supposedly JET is suppose to be pulling in a lot of extra ALTS for the amazing olympics prep-age.

suppose to be an increase of some extra thousands JETS peoples over the next 5 years from the current total they tend to aim for.

greyjoy
December 5th, 2014, 09:50
Well obviously they are not solid statistics as it all depends on the quality of the applicants that year. I was just giving a rough total.

I think maybe it would behoove you to start reading posts twice before you decide to reply to them.

webstaa
December 5th, 2014, 12:06
suppose to be an increase of some extra thousands JETS peoples over the next 5 years from the current total they tend to aim for.

They are supposed to increase the number of ALTs by some thousands, but not necessarily the number of JET ALTs. Tokyo did add 200 JETs over this past year and this application cycle, but it'll be a while before the 'massive' numbers of ALT positions start to open up. And I'm sure there will be a far larger number of dispatch ALTs instead of 1 to 2 school only ALTs too.

On the upside, a few cities in Japan are creating bids for the winter Olympics in 2026, including Sapporo. So that might add a tiny bit of fuel to the fire.

hiddenlee22
December 6th, 2014, 08:12
They are supposed to increase the number of ALTs by some thousands, but not necessarily the number of JET ALTs.

I heard about that too. Any particular reasoning behind it?

webstaa
December 6th, 2014, 08:37
I heard about that too. Any particular reasoning behind it?

They're accelerating English language education (partially as an economic reason - to increase international business ties as a part of Abenomics, and partially as a response to getting the 2020 Olympics in Tokyo,) and have the funny idea that ALTs in the schools is helping students learn/use English. There are press releases referencing hiring ALTs for the purpose of training Japanese volunteers for the Tokyo Olympics. As well as bring more "qualified" foreigners into the country - MEXT and ESL instruction trainers have long since realized that hiring ALTs can be a good way of getting a variety of foreigners into Japan, where they can learn some Japanese and maybe stay and work in their given field.

There were a few news articles and a press release with the details, but they elude me, especially on a Saturday morning. I do know that as of 12/2012 there were 8,505 ALTs in Elementary/JHS and only 2,560 were JETs. Between the Worker Dispatch Act (which is - by design - killing dispatch ALT aside from government programs) and huge budgets for JTE training and ALT hiring, I think the goal was close to 20,000 ALTs country wide. (For comparison, there are about 3,300 JTEs in Tokyo alone, and only 200 JET ALT positions.)

sharpinthefang
December 6th, 2014, 08:46
Many ALT's have a couple of schools, JETs can have anywhere between 2 to 6 different ones. But I think they are planning on bring that down to just a few schools each so that the 'influence' is better. (How much difference we really make can never be truly measured)

December 9th, 2014, 08:21
They are supposed to increase the number of ALTs by some thousands, but not necessarily the number of JET ALTs. Tokyo did add 200 JETs over this past year and this application cycle, but it'll be a while before the 'massive' numbers of ALT positions start to open up. And I'm sure there will be a far larger number of dispatch ALTs instead of 1 to 2 school only ALTs too.

On the upside, a few cities in Japan are creating bids for the winter Olympics in 2026, including Sapporo. So that might add a tiny bit of fuel to the fire.

I have the article bookedmarked somewhere, but they (the J-gov) actually does single out the JET Program to say that they want to increase its numbers up to ~6000 JETs by 2020, and for all ALTs (JET + non-JET) to something like 15,000~20,000. Point being that they actually do want to increase JETs in particular. The biggest problem though is that it doesn't matter what Abe's administration says - the only way that the number of JETs is going to go up is if there are positions opened for them. Those positions are opened at the local level. If the local government doesn't receive the subsidizes from central government, or if the policy is poorly constructed and local govs are able to opt out (or spend that money on non-JETs), then our numbers won't rise. While we predict a modest increase over the next few years (~5%/year?), we don't expect a massive rush like would be necessary to meet Abe's administration's goals.

Libellule
December 9th, 2014, 08:30
Many ALT's have a couple of schools, JETs can have anywhere between 2 to 6 different ones. But I think they are planning on bring that down to just a few schools each so that the 'influence' is better. (How much difference we really make can never be truly measured)

JETs can have far more than 6 schools... I have 8 and a friend of mine has 14 :s

sourdoughsushi
December 9th, 2014, 08:40
Do preschools/kindergartens count toward your school total? Getting paid to get coughed on and hugged.

itsabird
December 11th, 2014, 08:48
Do preschools/kindergartens count toward your school total? Getting paid to get coughed on and hugged.
Hey. Don't downplay my efforts

Gizmotech
December 11th, 2014, 08:59

Hey! That's just like my spec-ed school!

weepinbell
December 12th, 2014, 02:08
Around when has the list of interview candidates gone up in the past? I know everyone has said early January, but I'm just curious around when that usually falls. I'm assuming we'll get an email notifying when it's gone up, yeah?

Gizmotech
December 12th, 2014, 07:08
Around when has the list of interview candidates gone up in the past? I know everyone has said early January, but I'm just curious around when that usually falls. I'm assuming we'll get an email notifying when it's gone up, yeah?

Precious years doesn't matter.this year is different.

gibbity
December 12th, 2014, 07:16
This year is the opposite of precious. its just pure crap.

webstaa
December 12th, 2014, 09:28

I got an email asking me to make an appointment before the list went up, but only by a few hours. But that was a few years ago now.

greyjoy
December 12th, 2014, 09:31
Last year I got the email confirming I was selected for an interview on January 23. I think the list was out the same day or maybe the day before. My short list acceptance was sent on March 31 and placement info came on May 14. Our deadline was December 3 last year. I would expect to see the first round emails go out around January 5 this year.

AyaReiko
December 12th, 2014, 13:51
In Canada, I got my email on January 23rd as well.

PuddingHead
December 12th, 2014, 21:18
Last year I got the email confirming I was selected for an interview on January 23. I think the list was out the same day or maybe the day before. My short list acceptance was sent on March 31 and placement info came on May 14. Our deadline was December 3 last year. I would expect to see the first round emails go out around January 5 this year.

January 5th would be fantastic. I can't shake the feeling that it will come out the second or third week of January, though. I don't know if I'll feel more anxious once I know I have an interview or if I'll calm down.

... If I get an interview.

itsabird
December 15th, 2014, 13:53
Jan 23rd here too.
Deadline for us was Dec 3rd though. So...Meh.
Interview dates were around early Feb 20s.
April 1st Alternate notices went out.
Upgrade notice was May 20s for me.
Take all of that info with a grain of salt because Miami had some issues this year with placements, resulting in a slightly unpredictable upgrades year.

PuddingHead
December 16th, 2014, 00:54
Jan 23rd here too.
Deadline for us was Dec 3rd though. So...Meh.
Interview dates were around early Feb 20s.
April 1st Alternate notices went out.
Upgrade notice was May 20s for me.
Take all of that info with a grain of salt because Miami had some issues this year with placements, resulting in a slightly unpredictable upgrades year.

Oh, interesting. Since you were upgraded before the scheduled departure, did you get to go with the initial short-listed candidates to orientation?

Also, what sort of placement issues was Miami having? I'm mainly curious because that's the consulate I'm applying through.

miamicoordinator
December 16th, 2014, 07:27
Oh, interesting. Since you were upgraded before the scheduled departure, did you get to go with the initial short-listed candidates to orientation?

Also, what sort of placement issues was Miami having? I'm mainly curious because that's the consulate I'm applying through.

The placement issues we had last year were a result of the way Tokyo handled the information we submitted via our recommendation spread sheet.

That is all taken care of now, and will not happen again this year, so no need to worry.

Also, Miami's interviews will be held from January 26th-30th this year. All interviews at U.S. Consulates will either be held the last week of January, or first week of february. They will not be held in late February because of new deadlines we have from Tokyo.

Applicants should know if they will have an itterview by mid January this year.

MC

gibbity
December 16th, 2014, 07:36
Thanks for the info Miami.

PuddingHead
December 16th, 2014, 07:58
The placement issues we had last year were a result of the way Tokyo handled the information we submitted via our recommendation spread sheet.

That is all taken care of now, and will not happen again this year, so no need to worry.

Also, Miami's interviews will be held from January 26th-30th this year. All interviews at U.S. Consulates will either be held the last week of January, or first week of february. They will not be held in late February because of new deadlines we have from Tokyo.

Applicants should know if they will have an itterview by mid January this year.

MC

Excellent, thank you so much for the information, MC! It's actually a bit of a relief that all the deadlines are a bit earlier this year. Although, probably troublesome for you.

AyaReiko
December 16th, 2014, 13:22
Indeed, thanks for the info! Do you know if that's likely to be the case in other countries too?

sharpinthefang
December 16th, 2014, 13:51
Indeed, thank for the info! Do you know if that's likely to be the case in other countries too?
It's such a shame that no other coordinators from other countries have found their way on here.

itsabird
December 16th, 2014, 14:21
They probably see the toxic mushroom cloud above the ITIL logo and steer clear.

PuddingHead
December 16th, 2014, 21:42
I know I'm incredibly grateful that mine braved the cloud.

miamicoordinator
December 17th, 2014, 07:29
Indeed, thanks for the info! Do you know if that's likely to be the case in other countries too?

I am unsure about other countries' deadlines, I'm afraid. I can only speak 100% for sure for U.S. deadlines. It would not surprise me if this was a worldwide change because new JETs arrive at the same times (A/B/C groups) no matter where they are from.

itsabird
December 17th, 2014, 11:42
because new JETs arrive at the same times (A/B/C groups) no matter where they are from.
This isn't to say departure dates were moved up as well, is it?

sharpinthefang
December 17th, 2014, 11:44
Well, were the end of year contract dates moved forwards? It would not make a lot of sense to move the noobs arrival dates while the oldies were still there. I think it's just so BOE's have more time to faff about with paper work.

miamicoordinator
December 17th, 2014, 12:17

Sharp is correct. Tokyo was complaining that they needed additional time for their side of the paperwork, especially with early departure people. So they pushed up our deadline to turn in our recommendation sheets nearly a month. Departure should not be changed.

sharpinthefang
December 17th, 2014, 12:20
Tell you what you could all do during this waiting period! Join us over in the lounge! We don't bite, not really!

Disclaimer; If you cause us to bite, it's your own fault...

laura1088
January 4th, 2015, 16:23
Oh god... The thought of possibly knowing in just a few short days is making my stomach do a back flip...

It'll be hard sleeping tonight. :(

hiddenlee22
January 5th, 2015, 03:44
Oh god... The thought of possibly knowing in just a few short days is making my stomach do a back flip...

It'll be hard sleeping tonight. :(

I'm right there with you. I had almost forgotten the process (how could anyone forget that...) until I heard Oz recently found out about their interviews. Now I'm on pins and needles.

A side note: did anyone think completely irrational thoughts after sending their apps in? I was almost positive that I had messed something up on the app, even though I must have checked that monstrosity twenty times.

Gunjumero
January 5th, 2015, 03:46
I right there with you. I had almost forgotten the process (how could anyone forget that...) until I heard Oz recently found out about their interviews. Now I'm on pins and needles.

A side note: did anyone think completely irrationally thoughts after sending their apps in? I was almost positive that I had messed something up on the app, even though I must have checked that monstrosity twenty times.

Yes ,forgotten signatures and/or incorrect or missing dates

sharpinthefang
January 5th, 2015, 10:06
That's normal. I am always the same after any job application.

laura1088
January 5th, 2015, 11:58
Funny story actually. When I originally handed everything over to FedEx to send it out, I forgot to put the stamp on the self addressed envelope. Ten minutes later in the Walmart parking lot across the street from Kinko's/FedEx, I realized this and drove back over. Fortunately, they just throw your packages in a laundry basket type bin. I was even more fortunate that I had purchased a re-sealing cardboard envelope (eco-friendly ones that you're supposed to be able to use at least twice in different situations). I went in, explained my dilemma, and was able to open it and put the stamp on. They closed it back up and threw it back in the basket and that was it. This was the Saturday before the deadline, and it was scheduled to be delivered by Thursday (since Tuesday was Veterans Day). It was amazingly delivered on that Tuesday. The self addressed envelope was mailed back to me and I received it the following week.

I tell ya though, after that it's not hard to imagine that I did space something important off. It's all I can do to not freak out until the big news comes out.

sharpinthefang
January 5th, 2015, 21:46
If you are freaking out now, wait till after the I thrives stage.

laura1088
January 6th, 2015, 04:03
I'll be ready for whatever comes my way :)

sharpinthefang
January 6th, 2015, 20:01
Goddam autocorrect! Interview stage

Zolrak 22
January 6th, 2015, 20:37
Goddam autocorrect! Interview stage
Awwww and here I thought you meant the first few days in Japan.

hiddenlee22
January 7th, 2015, 09:31
Any bets when they plan on releasing the list? The U.K. applicants are starting to receive their notices for interviews means it shouldn't be long for the U.S.?

Zolrak 22
January 7th, 2015, 09:41
We are last ones to the ball?

hiddenlee22
January 7th, 2015, 09:56
Apparently. Can't say I'm surprised though. We are the most special group after all.

sharpinthefang
January 7th, 2015, 10:25
Snowflake.

Dont forget that Canada have not had theirs yet.

gibbity
January 7th, 2015, 10:38
Canada is just the special hat. The helmet.

AyaReiko
January 7th, 2015, 10:43
I think Canada's interviews are much later than the UK's too... I don't know about the rest of the country, but the Ottawa ones will be in February.

uthinkimlost?
January 7th, 2015, 10:44
Canada gives great helmet.

Gizmotech
January 7th, 2015, 11:03
Everyones interviews this year are in early February as the whole process for the JET program has been advanced by about a month. You will likely hear about your interview dates within the next week.

gibbity
January 7th, 2015, 11:26
Such a good movie.

hiddenlee22
January 7th, 2015, 14:11
Temporary Job: JET Program Assistant Needed in Boston | NEJETAA (http://nejetaa.com/2015/01/06/temporary-job-jet-program-assistant-needed-in-boston/)

Seems like interviews in the U.S. (at least for Boston) are February 3-6.

PuddingHead
January 8th, 2015, 00:08
Any bets when they plan on releasing the list? The U.K. applicants are starting to receive their notices for interviews means it shouldn't be long for the U.S.?

I'm still feeling next week. I guess if I had to pick an arbitrary number I would say the 12th? But that's a Monday and no one ever has their shit together on a Monday.

Seems like interviews in the U.S. (at least for Boston) are February 3-6.

They're from January 26 - 30 in Miami.

hiddenlee22
January 8th, 2015, 00:41
They're from January 26 - 30 in Miami.

Wouldn't, by chance, know when New York's interviews are? I always assumed they were synced up around the country, guess not.

PuddingHead
January 8th, 2015, 00:47
Wouldn't, by chance, know when New York's interviews are? I always assumed they were synced up around the country, guess not.

No, I have no idea. Sorry. :<

I only know Miami's because MC posted the dates earlier on this thread. I imagine it would be really early February, though. All the interviews seem to be really close together for the US.

miamicoordinator
January 8th, 2015, 03:50
No, I have no idea. Sorry. :<

I only know Miami's because MC posted the dates earlier on this thread. I imagine it would be really early February, though. All the interviews seem to be really close together for the US.

All of the interviews in the States will be done either the last week of January, or the first week of February. Since we have not received the lists yet from DC(soon!) it is impossible for many Consulates to know how many days they will need to interview. As you can imagine, trying to book space/workers for 150 people is different than 75.

We should be getting the information by next week hopefully, so everyone just hang on till then.

MC

miamicoordinator
January 8th, 2015, 03:52

NY is still in limbo when it comes to exact dates because of how many people they usually interview. It is hard for them to plan ahead without knowing exactly how many people passed the initial screening in NY jurisdiction.

gibbity
January 8th, 2015, 04:01
NY is still in limbo when it comes to exact dates because of how many people they usually interview. It is hard for them to plan ahead without knowing exactly how many people passed the initial screening in NY jurisdiction.

this would lead one to assume Chicago would also be in this boat? or is NY strictly an outlier in the number of people usually getting processed?

thanks MC

miamicoordinator
January 8th, 2015, 04:04
this would lead one to assume Chicago would also be in this boat? or is NY strictly an outlier in the number of people usually getting processed?

thanks MC

That is correct Gibbity. Chicago has not set exact dates yet because they normally interview a large amount of people as well and awaiting the number count from DC. The coordinators though have said they are planning for early feb(first week most likely) but as far as specific days, thats still TBD.

January 8th, 2015, 04:07

thanks MC

The JET PCs at all of the Consulates receive our information at the same time, so no, NY is not unique. Currently the Embassy staff is working extremely hard to go through all of the applications. You can expect the announcement of those accepted for an interview to occur anytime between now and the end of January. If I had to guess I would say sometime next week.

gibbity
January 8th, 2015, 04:17
Thanks both MC and SF for the input. Seems to be about what people have been expecting.

much appreciated.

laura1088
January 8th, 2015, 04:23
Is Denver one of those busy places that interviews a bunch of people as well?

Thanks for all the info guys!

hiddenlee22
January 8th, 2015, 04:23
The JET PCs at all of the Consulates receive our information at the same time, so no, NY is not unique. Currently the Embassy staff is working extremely hard to go through all of the applications. You can expect the announcement of those accepted for an interview to occur anytime between now and the end of January. If I had to guess I would say sometime next week.

Does NY usually generally have to interview more people? The East Coast being more populated (I think?) makes me think that, but who the heck knows.

Also on a side note: The official website of the JET Program USA (http://www.us.emb-japan.go.jp/JET/aspiring.html#Location)

They are releasing dates as to which consulates are interviewing at what time (some specific, some not). Unless the list goes out next week, I don't think everyone will know at the same time.

miamicoordinator
January 8th, 2015, 04:54
Is Denver one of those busy places that interviews a bunch of people as well?

Thanks for all the info guys!

Denver is not nearly as busy as some of the other locations, but still has quite a few people. They are tentatively set for the first week of February as well.

miamicoordinator
January 8th, 2015, 04:59
Does NY usually generally have to interview more people? The East Coast being more populated (I think?) makes me think that, but who the heck knows.

Also on a side note: The official website of the JET Program USA (http://www.us.emb-japan.go.jp/JET/aspiring.html#Location)

They are releasing dates as to which consulates are interviewing at what time (some specific, some not). Unless the list goes out next week, I don't think everyone will know at the same time.

The amount of people that a Consulate interviews really depends on how many applicants live close to it. For example, Miami covers the whole state of Florida with nearly 20 million people, but we typically have interviewed less than 60 people per year because we do not have many schools with strong Japanese programs, so the general interest in JET is not as high as on the West Coast or NY for example. We do try to go to many schools who do not offer Japanese as well, but sometimes we only have 3-4 people at the info sessions(all depends on how much career services promotes the session.)

Generally, Consulates that are in areas with strong Japanese programs tend to have more applicants overall.

webstaa
January 8th, 2015, 08:26
I went to school in the Midwest and had contact with both the Chicago and Detroit consulates - they seem to get a disproportionate number of applicants compared. Lots of Japanese programs at schools in Michigan (They have that special study abroad program/union thing in Shiga too...)

When I interviewed in Chicago, there were at least 60 slots - and the year I left Chicago send the second largest group (from the US...)

Shincantsen
January 8th, 2015, 23:43
I went to school in the Midwest and had contact with both the Chicago and Detroit consulates - they seem to get a disproportionate number of applicants compared. Lots of Japanese programs at schools in Michigan (They have that special study abroad program/union thing in Shiga too...)

When I interviewed in Chicago, there were at least 60 slots - and the year I left Chicago send the second largest group (from the US...)

Chicago also covers a huge area of the US - so, while Miami only covers Florida, Chicago covers Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, North Dakota, South Dakota, and Wisconsin. Even though a lot of those states have small populations, the fact that there are so many of them means that Chicago can get the most applicants in the country.

laura1088
January 9th, 2015, 00:35
This actually makes me glad that I didn't choose the Chicago consulate.

hiddenlee22
January 9th, 2015, 00:58
If a consulate generally has more interviewees, does that mean they have to be more critical with their interviews so as not to have too many candidates come from a specific part of the country?

Shincantsen
January 9th, 2015, 01:06
If a consulate generally has more interviewees, does that mean they have to be more critical with their interviews so as not to have too many candidates come from a specific part of the country?

The way I understand it, in theory it should make absolutely no difference which consulate you apply from. The interviewed candidates are ranked, and Tokyo looks through all of the interviewees in a big pile and takes the top however many they need. What really matters is who interviews you, which is something you can't control for even within the consulate.

miamicoordinator
January 9th, 2015, 01:09

Not usually. When Consulates need to interview large numbers, they normally have multiple interview panels. Each panel is really only focused on the people that come before them. They don't interact with the other people who are being seen the other panels. Each panel will score their interviewees according to their best judgement. We do have a scoring ruberic that we now use across the U.S. to ensure that scores are as fair as possible nationwide.

Tokyo honestly focuses on score numbers. They will not deny a great candidate with a high score in place of a lower scored candidate from another location just because that Consulate has many people going already.

hiddenlee22
January 9th, 2015, 02:39
Not usually. When Consulates need to interview large numbers, they normally have multiple interview panels. Each panel is really only focused on the people that come before them. They don't interact with the other people who are being seen the other panels. Each panel will score their interviewees according to their best judgement. We do have a scoring ruberic that we now use across the U.S. to ensure that scores are as fair as possible nationwide.

Tokyo honestly focuses on score numbers. They will not deny a great candidate with a high score in place of a lower scored candidate from another location just because that Consulate has many people going already.

Well that puts my mind at ease, assuming I get an interview.

As always, gracias for the info MC and SF.

patjs
January 9th, 2015, 06:12
I would expect to hear about the results fairly soon.

greyjoy
January 9th, 2015, 15:14
I would expect to hear about the results fairly soon.
What's your position in the consulate, pat?

For example, Miami covers the whole state of Florida with nearly 20 million people.

Not even all of Florida for that matter. The two biggest public universities are as close or closer to Atlanta than Miami.

PuddingHead
January 9th, 2015, 20:53
Not even all of Florida for that matter. The two biggest public universities are as close or closer to Atlanta than Miami.

Florida's a pretty long state, but I would be surprised if anyone South of Gainesville applied through Atlanta. Unless they really disliked Miami. Having only been there once myself, I wouldn't say I'd blame them.

greyjoy
January 9th, 2015, 21:00
Nobody south of Gainesville would, but Gainesville is home to the University of Florida, and the more northern Tallahassee has Florida State University. I went to school much further south myself, but I was living in NC when I applied, so I still ended up in Atlanta.

PuddingHead
January 9th, 2015, 21:11
Yeah, my college and home are much more south than Gainesville, so I'm going through Miami. Not too thrilled to go back, but maybe I'll have a decently timed interview because of how small it is? Although, Atlanta sounds pretty busy from how you described it and you still got to choose when you interviewed, so that's pretty nice!

miamicoordinator
January 9th, 2015, 22:09
Yeah, my college and home are much more south than Gainesville, so I'm going through Miami. Not too thrilled to go back, but maybe I'll have a decently timed interview because of how small it is? Although, Atlanta sounds pretty busy from how you described it and you still got to choose when you interviewed, so that's pretty nice!

We(as in Miami consulate) are actually interviewing more people this year than ever before. It will be pretty busy ><

saiga
January 9th, 2015, 22:39
We(as in Miami consulate) are actually interviewing more people this year than ever before. It will be pretty busy ><
That might be good news for me and others that applied to be interviewed through Miami. Luckily I only live about 3 hours away.

miamicoordinator
January 9th, 2015, 23:38
That might be good news for me and others that applied to be interviewed through Miami. Luckily I only live about 3 hours away.

Yes! I was super excited that so many people passed the initial screening through my Consulate.

Now, thats not to say that everyone who was granted an interview will come. There are always a few people who have been offered other jobs/opportunities. Needless to say, it will be nonstop interviewing for 5 days for us.

PuddingHead
January 10th, 2015, 00:20
Oh, wow, way to go Florida. This is definitely good news!

But I guess this means DC sent out the lists! I wonder how likely it is that results will get posted today.

Verbatim
January 10th, 2015, 00:24
Oh, I hope it will be today!!

hiddenlee22
January 10th, 2015, 00:46
My bet is on Monday, but I will be pleasantly surprised if it did come out today!

ambrosse
January 10th, 2015, 00:48
My bet is on Monday, but I will be pleasantly surprised if it did come out today!

If the results miraculously came out today, it would give the weekend for people to either celebrate or have a good weep of failure.

hiddenlee22
January 10th, 2015, 01:02
If the results miraculously came out today, it would give the weekend for people to either celebrate or have a good weep of failure.

Boy did I read that wrong. Heart stopped for a second. This is where I am (sort of) happy about the wait until now. If gave me a chance to get off the neurotic express about the whole application. So now if I don't get in I'll be way less depressed than I would have been 4 weeks ago.

miamicoordinator
January 10th, 2015, 01:15
Oh, wow, way to go Florida. This is definitely good news!

But I guess this means DC sent out the lists! I wonder how likely it is that results will get posted today.

Sorry to rain on your parade, but we have not received the lists yet (as of 11:12 EST).

All we received was the estimated number of applicants that we would be interviewing based on the scores(The final number of people we interview still needs to be approved by Tokyo based on how many people are recontracting). We needed the number because for the locations that book venues, and multiple rooms, they need as much time as possible to set everything up.

ambrosse
January 10th, 2015, 01:18
Boy did I read that wrong. Heart stopped for a second. This is where I am (sort of) happy about the wait until now. If gave me a chance to get off the neurotic express about the whole application. So now if I don't get in I'll be way less depressed than I would have been 4 weeks ago.

I agree. If the wait would have been a few weeks or so, I'd be a nutcase. The month of December chilled me out.