PDA

View Full Version : Passport Question

weepinbell
November 26th, 2014, 14:05
I'm really worried. I will be receiving my passport in 6-8 weeks. I just got an offer letter from my backup company, and some of the paperwork I received states that my passport should have been valid for at least one year before I can apply for my visa. I'm hoping this is a case-by-case company policy, not a visa policy, as this particular company was aware of my passport situation as of my interview.

However, now I'm super nervous that maybe this is just a general requirement for Japanese work visas. I did not read anything regarding this requirement on the JET site and have been digging all over the internet for passport requirements for Japanese visas and have not seen anything about a 1-year period of validity....

If it's just this company, that's fine I can live, and hopefully they will be willing to work with me, if not, bummer. But if I totally skirted over this requirement, I would really like to know...

Would love some insight on this.

Thanks so much

AyaReiko
November 26th, 2014, 14:12
Countries usually have requirements for how long the passport has to be valid after you leave, so this sounds weird. Then again I'm no passport expert.

weepinbell
November 26th, 2014, 14:20
Right... I mean, I know next to nothing about passports. Just that apparently it takes for freaking ever to get one in the US. I'm just so nervous now that this is going to screw me with any company/program I apply for. I read the JET website up and down before submitting my application and the only thing I saw about passports was that if you were sending a copy of your's in with the application, it needed to be valid by December 1.... although, I guess that means if your passport was valid as of then, that wouldn't = a year anyways, so then I guess I'd be okay?

If it's just this company, fine, but if this is going to screw my chances with JET or any other place... ugh. I won't be very happy with myself.

sharpinthefang
November 26th, 2014, 14:22
This was not Interac was it? I don't remember reading anything about this in the paperwork. I know for a fact that it does not matter how much time you have left on your passport to enter Japan, just as long as it has enough time for your trip\stay.

weepinbell
November 26th, 2014, 14:31
Wait lol... I might have misread. "* At the time of your visa application, your passport must be valid for at least 1 year." Does that sound like it needs to be valid prior to or following the visa application? Ahhhh, what....

weepinbell
November 26th, 2014, 14:36
And no, this isn't Interac.

sharpinthefang
November 26th, 2014, 14:36
Following, meaning that it will last the length of your stay....

weepinbell
November 26th, 2014, 14:42
Omg..... lol these people are gonna think I'm so dumb I already sent them an email about it. But yeah... that makes sense a lot of sense. Ugh, jeez. I just sent another email to tell them I'm pretty sure I misread so hopefully that counts for something hahaha. THANK YOU. I'm seriously so anal about this stuff that it CLEARLY makes me overthink every freaking thing. UGH.

sharpinthefang
November 26th, 2014, 14:43
Omg..... lol these people are gonna think I'm so dumb I already sent them an email about it. But yeah... that makes sense a lot of sense. Ugh, jeez. I just sent another email to tell them I'm pretty sure I misread so hopefully that counts for something hahaha. THANK YOU. I'm seriously so anal about this stuff that it CLEARLY makes me overthink every freaking thing. UGH.

I believe that its one of the reasons why these forms are worded in such away. It helps weed out those that can't read as the Japanese tend to be a bit of a stickler for this.

weepinbell
November 26th, 2014, 14:47
I believe that its one of the reasons why these forms are worded in such away. It helps weed out those that can't read as the Japanese tend to be a bit of a stickler for this.

Haha well good thing they already sent me the official offer. :p Here's to hoping they won't rescind based on that hahaha. What a nice response that would be. "Unfortunately, based on your unintelligible inquiry, we regret to inform you that your offer has been terminated".

sharpinthefang
November 26th, 2014, 14:57
I would pay good money to see that letter if they ever sent that.

SailorZorro
January 20th, 2015, 03:09
I have a passport question and I thought I would post it here. I need to get my passport renewed regardless of whether I am selected or not. It will expire in November, but I will need it before then in some way or another. Late winter, early spring is a good time to apply for passports because the wait time is nonexistent. Does anyone know if they will need my passport for anything after my interview? I'm thinking about submitting the app at the end of Feb and should have it back by the end of Mar at the latest. I have copies if they need those.

genkispirit
January 20th, 2015, 04:28
I know in Canada, no matter where you are going. Your passport must be valid for 6 months after your return date. It seems silly, but I think it has something to do with overstays and international laws. US international law might be different. Remember that immigration law for your country is different for EVERY country you go to, so information for one country may not be the same for another country. I know for Japan and South Korea, before departure my passport had to remain valid for 6 months after my return date for me to be able to travel. That's why passports issued are 5 - 10 years of validity.

SailorZorro
January 20th, 2015, 08:56
No, I'm not worried about how long it needs to be valid because I have to get it renewed. I'm just wondering about the possibility of them needing it after my interview. Around this time of the year it shouldn't take long to get it back, that's why I don't want to wait.

sharpinthefang
January 20th, 2015, 09:37
No, I'm not worried about how long it needs to be valid because I have to get it renewed. I'm just wondering about the possibility of them needing it after my interview. Around this time of the year it shouldn't take long to get it back, that's why I don't want to wait.
As far as I remember, they don't need it for anything but you MUST tell them when you get it back.

AyaReiko
January 20th, 2015, 09:44
I know in Canada, no matter where you are going. Your passport must be valid for 6 months after your return date.

Actually, this isn't true even in Canada. The length requirements vary by country (you can find them out on voyage.gc.ca, in the country profiles).

Sailor Zorro, they'll need your passport eventually to put in your visa, I think, but that wouldn't happen before you get in!

webstaa
January 20th, 2015, 12:14
Renew it now. You'll need to renew it before you get to Japan - avoid having to go and grovel at the immigration offices in case something goes wrong. Just make sure you consulate/interview location knows about it.

Shincantsen
January 20th, 2015, 13:03

I think they usually don't collect the passports until later in the year, when you get your placements and they can put your visas in. So I would renew it now for sure.

uthinkimlost?
January 20th, 2015, 13:06
I have a passport question and I thought I would post it here. I need to get my passport renewed regardless of whether I am selected or not. It will expire in November, but I will need it before then in some way or another. Late winter, early spring is a good time to apply for passports because the wait time is nonexistent. Does anyone know if they will need my passport for anything after my interview? I'm thinking about submitting the app at the end of Feb and should have it back by the end of Mar at the latest. I have copies if they need those.

Contact your consulate and ask when they will need it.

JET ProgramCoordinator SF
January 21st, 2015, 06:05
weepinbell - there's no "must have a passport for at least one year to get a Japanese visa" that I've ever heard of. Many candidates applying don't even have a passport and only begin the process of getting their first passport after they have passed the interview - so no worries.

As for when the Consulates need your passport after the interview, one of the first things we ask for is a photocopy of your passport (the page with all your information and your signature). If you are going to renew your passport (I don't think it can expire within your first year or at least first 6 months on JET) then I suggest you make a photocopy now to submit to us while you wait for your passport to be renewed. Once your passport is renewed, make a photocopy of the new passport and send that to us so we can update our info.

SailorZorro
January 21st, 2015, 08:19
Thanks SF (and everyone else), that's exactly what I needed to know. I had planned to make some copies anyway. I actually already submitted copies with my application, if that makes any difference.