PDA

View Full Version : Broke my arm, CO trying to make me stay off work for 6 weeks...

Cake
December 2nd, 2014, 11:31
I broke my arm pretty badly just over 2 weeks ago, had surgery and just got home after spending 2 weeks in hospital. Last day of sick leave is 8th December and after that my CO wants me to stay at home for another 6 weeks as I live deep in the inaka and rely on driving to get to work, which I can't do for at least 8 weeks. I am having a meeting later with 3 people from my BOE to discuss options, but it seems at the moment they are totally against me coming to work because I can't get there easily enough. There are almost no trains and my furthest school is an hour away which makes getting a train pretty difficult to do. But what's frustrating is that there are 2 teachers from 2 of my schools living right next to me but as I'm not their responsibility, my CO doesn't want me to get a ride with them in case they have an accident. This I can understand, but there must be some way I can make some kind of statement to say I'm okay with this?
As my sick leave ends next week, they also want to take the 6 weeks' leave out of nenkyu and then deduct wages after that. I've looked at the JET T&Cs and can't see anything about taking extended leave out of holiday pay. More importantly, what do they expect me to do for 6 weeks alone in my apartment? Aside from not being able to use my right arm, I'm physically and mentally capable of working.
So I just wanted to see if anyone can clarify the CO's authority to make me stay at home for 6 weeks? Seems pretty ridiculous to me!! If they won't budge then I'll just catch a flight home and stay there until they want me to come back.

sharpinthefang
December 2nd, 2014, 11:35
Not sure about the majority, but I'm sure that if you fly home for 6 weeks they might view it as you trying to break contract.

Cake
December 2nd, 2014, 11:48
If I can't go to work for that time anyway does it make a difference what I do? I've made it clear I want to and am able to go back to work after the 8th. I've also told them I want to recontract, so it's not like I'd be using it as an excuse to break contract.

uthinkimlost?
December 2nd, 2014, 11:48
I broke my arm pretty badly just over 2 weeks ago, had surgery and just got home after spending 2 weeks in hospital. Last day of sick leave is 8th December and after that my CO wants me to stay at home for another 6 weeks as I live deep in the inaka and rely on driving to get to work, which I can't do for at least 8 weeks. I am having a meeting later with 3 people from my BOE to discuss options, but it seems at the moment they are totally against me coming to work because I can't get there easily enough. There are almost no trains and my furthest school is an hour away which makes getting a train pretty difficult to do. But what's frustrating is that there are 2 teachers from 2 of my schools living right next to me but as I'm not their responsibility, my CO doesn't want me to get a ride with them in case they have an accident. This I can understand, but there must be some way I can make some kind of statement to say I'm okay with this?
As my sick leave ends next week, they also want to take the 6 weeks' leave out of nenkyu and then deduct wages after that. I've looked at the JET T&Cs and can't see anything about taking extended leave out of holiday pay. More importantly, what do they expect me to do for 6 weeks alone in my apartment? Aside from not being able to use my right arm, I'm physically and mentally capable of working.
So I just wanted to see if anyone can clarify the CO's authority to make me stay at home for 6 weeks? Seems pretty ridiculous to me!! If they won't budge then I'll just catch a flight home and stay there until they want me to come back.

You can commute by taxi, I assume. If you are physically incapable of driving, I don't really see another way.

I think in my contract I have several types of unpaid leave you might be able to take instead of using nenkyuu, but UNPAID would be the keyword.

BeckyJones
December 2nd, 2014, 11:49
tell them you will figure out a way to get to work on your own, with a friend or SO or something like that. THen ask the teachers for a "ride" as a personal favour. If they refuse, drive to work and park slightly outside of the school. IF anyone gives you shit, lie and say you got a ride from someone.

Jiggit
December 2nd, 2014, 12:05
This is one of those times in which COs need to be told to shove it.

Refuse to take nenkyuu. If they try and force you, wait and see if they fire you. They won't. They have no other recourse to force you to do anything. Let them figure what they want you to do instead, since it is their problem.

There is absolutely no reason for you to try and work with them on this. They have already made the statement (with this decision) that they do not care about you, so making them think less of you cannot possibly hurt. You are not a Japanese employee. In a few years time they will have no influence on your life. They can't send you to a shittier school or wreak some subtle punishment 10 years down the line. There is no reason for you to accept any of this.

Cake
December 2nd, 2014, 12:06
You can commute by taxi, I assume. If you are physically incapable of driving, I don't really see another way.
I already suggested this but as there aren't any taxis around here I'd have to get one from 20 mins away, and it would be really expensive seeing as one of my schools takes an hour to get to. Basically they told me taxis aren't an option!

tell them you will figure out a way to get to work on your own, with a friend or SO or something like that. THen ask the teachers for a "ride" as a personal favour. If they refuse, drive to work and park slightly outside of the school. IF anyone gives you shit, lie and say you got a ride from someone.
I work at the BOE 2 days a week so they said I can probably get a lift with someone for those 2 days. But I'm the only ALT for miles around and aside from other teachers and BOE people there's no one I could get a lift with. If the teachers are willing themselves to take me then I'm hoping my CO will actually let them. Can't physically drive anyway at the moment so I can't even pretend I got a lift haha.

uthinkimlost?
December 2nd, 2014, 12:11
Refuse to take nenkyuu. If they try and force you, wait and see if they fire you. They won't. They have no other recourse to force you to do anything. Let them figure what they want you to do instead, since it is their problem.

Do they even need our approval to take away nenkyuu for absent days? At my CO we request it and use our seal, but is that actually necessary or a formality?

uthinkimlost?
December 2nd, 2014, 12:14
I already suggested this but as there aren't any taxis around here I'd have to get one from 20 mins away, and it would be really expensive seeing as one of my schools takes an hour to get to. Basically they told me taxis aren't an option!

They're an option, they just won't pay.

Are there any other ALTs at your BoE? Could you exchange school duties during the healing process?

BeckyJones
December 2nd, 2014, 12:14
Can't physically drive anyway at the moment so I can't even pretend I got a lift haha.

you can't drive one handed?

Cake
December 2nd, 2014, 12:18
Bit risky in the snow... also the majority of the drive is along a winding road at the edge of the sea so that might not be a good idea.

Jiggit
December 2nd, 2014, 12:19
Do they even need our approval to take away nenkyuu for absent days? At my CO we request it and use our seal, but is that actually necessary or a formality?

I know of multiple ALTs who have taken far more vacation days than they have paid leave and are still employed.

BeckyJones
December 2nd, 2014, 12:20
Bit risky in the snow... also the majority of the drive is along a winding road at the edge of the sea so that might not be a good idea.

hokkaido i assume. drive slow homie... drive slow.

also, it might not be an ideal situation but every school has beds in the nurse's office. I've known several teachers who have crashed at school for a day or so because of weather, or personal reasons.

uthinkimlost?
December 2nd, 2014, 12:21

Ini
December 2nd, 2014, 12:50
If you can get a lift to the boe then spend 2 weeks from the 8th going to the BOE everyday. Use some nenkyu and national holidays to take a 3 week break over christmas and new year (go home, go to bali, sit in your apartment watching the die hard trilogy on constant loop while drinking yourself into a stupor every day) In early Jan go to the BOE every day until you are able to drive to school.

or just enjoy having 6 weeks off if you can afford to lose a months salary.

Ini
December 2nd, 2014, 12:59
however the real reason why nobody wants to give you a lift is whoever takes you will feel obliged to take you home around 4:30~5pm but wont be able to leave work that early every day for 6 weeks so will end up having to drive you home then return to work. if its a 2 hour round trip then nobody will fancy doing that.

word
December 2nd, 2014, 13:13
I hadn't thought of that, but it's quite true.

Ode to a Grasshopper
December 2nd, 2014, 17:37
Presumably getting back home is a bit less urgent/more flexible time-wise than getting to your schools?

As in, it'd take you longer, but could you make do some/most of the time with trains/buses for the return trip/s? If you have any friends/friendly types in your town who don't have the usual Japanese work routine then you might even be able to get a train/bus part of the way, and beg a lift for the remainder of the journey, even if it wasn't for every day of the week.
If you're really set on not doing the nenkyu & unpaid-leave deal (which I wouldn't be happy with, personally) then that in combination with a mix of Ini's and Jiggit's plan is probably your best/least-worst option.

Cake
December 2nd, 2014, 19:20
Had the meeting and one of the BOE guys is gonna take me to and from school and someone else will take me to the BOE twice a week, after we confirm with the doctor on Friday that I can go back to work. I think they realised it was unreasonable to make me stay at home and getting a colleague to give me a lift seemed like an easy solution at the beginning so I don't really know why they didn't just do that in the first place... oh well!! I said it'd only be for 3 weeks then it's the holidays and they were like ahhh yeah it's not so bad then.
Thanks for the advice, looks like I could've found a way around it if I had to!

webstaa
December 3rd, 2014, 08:12
It's that weird Japanese "decision un-making" again. Someone probably had to suggest it about 30 times before they brought it up to you as an option. Because don't rock the boat. And don't forget to baby the pet foreigner.

sharpinthefang
December 3rd, 2014, 09:02
How did you break it anyways?

Gizmotech
December 3rd, 2014, 11:48
I suspect epic wanking.

Also ya. Like others had said this is definitely a rocking the boat type of situation, but I also agree with ini. There are ways you can mitigate the inconveniences to all parties if you take a few weeks off around New Years (or ask for some unpaid leave around there) and fuck off to who knows where for a bit.