PDA

View Full Version : Doing internal Japan bank transfers.

sharpinthefang
December 2nd, 2014, 22:27
So i have to do three separate bank transfers tomorrow. I'm with JP bank. Any advice on that?

Ini
December 2nd, 2014, 22:51
follow the guide in the JET handbook...... oh, sorry. forgot who I was talking to

word
December 2nd, 2014, 23:05
Recruit a teller to help if you have trouble. If it'll be recurring, get the card.

Ini
December 2nd, 2014, 23:06
open a modern bank account and do your banking online.

webstaa
December 3rd, 2014, 08:14
In all seriousness, there are a few youtube walk-throughs. Just use google. As long as you have the required info, its pretty hard to screw up. At least for most functional adults.

But I do second Ini's advice - get an account at a bank where you can do them online.

sharpinthefang
December 3rd, 2014, 09:01
Yeah, I hate JP bank. I miss online banking, it's so easy to do my UK accounts with it...

Jiggit
December 3rd, 2014, 09:07
open a modern bank account

In Japan?

word
December 3rd, 2014, 09:22
There are a few. I use JapanNetBank, which is pretty nice and very near western banks where modern tech is concerned. It's still easier for me to use my old bank, though (already have all my bills pulled from it, paycheck is deposited into it, etc.; just not worth the trouble of switching completely), even though they're frozen in the mid-nineties.

Jiggit
December 3rd, 2014, 09:33
Oh there are better banks. But it's not like you get internet banking (with international transfer) and visa/mastercard/americanexpress on signup. Still can't use Japanese banks with paypal either.

sharpinthefang
December 3rd, 2014, 09:37
I have both a master card and a visa which the system is supposed to be able to take, but can't get it to accept either of my cards for some reason.

word
December 3rd, 2014, 09:39
International transfer... no. I did get a Visa debit card on signup, though. And PayPal is problematic but I can use them with my J-credit card (when I have to--I hate PayPal).

sharpinthefang
December 3rd, 2014, 09:42
I'm not trying to do an international at this point in time, just an internal. International will come much later.

webstaa
December 4th, 2014, 08:16
AFAIK if you want to use Paypal with a Japanese bank account, you need to open a Japanese Paypal account. The same shitty restrictions that apply to bank transfers stop Paypal from working with Japanese banks.

And direct international transfers from banks bleed you on fees worse than some of the other services anyways. Also, I'm not sure if your trying to do this or not, but you can't furikomi from anything but cash or a Japanese bank account.

If your Visa/Mastercard aren't working, contact your card issuer and see if they've restricted international transactions or put a different hold on your account. Visa gets hold-happy if you get anywhere near your transaction limit or if you haven't had international transactions allowed on your card. Just be happy that Japanese ATM don't willfully eat cards the way some US ATMs do.

sharpinthefang
December 4th, 2014, 21:30
I got it sorted, turns out that JP bank ATM's can do internal bank transfers in english. And I'm not sending any money home that way, the way I'm doing it currently has no fees.

webstaa
December 5th, 2014, 11:55
I got it sorted, turns out that JP bank ATM's can do internal bank transfers in english. And I'm not sending any money home that way, the way I'm doing it currently has no fees.

AFAIK, its only when you put in a foreign card that drops you on the screen with the only option to make an international withdrawal/balance inquiry. For furikomi in English you still have to put the bank details in with katakana, right?

sharpinthefang
December 5th, 2014, 13:19
Nope, in english. Only Katakana bit is double checking the name of the reciever.

webstaa
December 6th, 2014, 08:11
Nope, in english. Only Katakana bit is double checking the name of the reciever.

Really? Even the bank name? They must have come into the 21st Century some time in the last two years then...

sharpinthefang
December 6th, 2014, 08:48
Really? Even the bank name? They must have come into the 21st Century some time in the last two years then...
Try with JP bank atms. Mind i do also live in a city and the two i have tried it at are in the main shopping hub or in the train station.