PDA

View Full Version : New Elem. School Books Next Year?

ALTInsiderFY
December 3rd, 2014, 00:41
I've heard rumblings that Hi Friends! is out and new books are in starting next year.. not that it really matters since I'm sure it will be 99% the same, but does anyone have any info?

webstaa
December 3rd, 2014, 08:18
MEXT is changing ES and JHS English standards, so it follows that they'll introduce new books for the new standards. As an ALT, you'll find out on April 3 in most likely hood.

The changes, if you haven't seen them: PDF (http://www.mext.go.jp/a_menu/kokusai/gaikokugo/__icsFiles/afieldfile/2014/01/31/1343704_01.pdf)

Jiggit
December 3rd, 2014, 08:25
Just to warn you, the "new" textbooks may not actually reflect new MEXT standards whatsoever and may end up being worse than what you had before. That's what happened in high schools.

webstaa
December 3rd, 2014, 08:28
Just to warn you, the "new" textbooks may not actually reflect new MEXT standards whatsoever and may end up being worse than what you had before. That's what happened in high schools.

Heh... They might be a true reflection of MEXT standards - backwards and illegible to anyone but da Vinci...

ALTInsiderFY
December 3rd, 2014, 08:37
Yeah I know about the changes, but from that paper you sent webstaa they just started working on really nailing down the curriculum for those changes in January of this year. I would imagine the next book, which I know they started work on in 2013, will be sort of a bridge with 2018 being the release of the real deal. Of course I'm 1000% guessing.

Jiggit
December 3rd, 2014, 08:39
Actually I didn't realise the ES books are made by MEXT rather than by some company? I guess they might be ok then.

ALTInsiderFY
December 3rd, 2014, 08:44
Yeah. It's not an outside company. That's why we get lesson targets like What would you like? and What do you want? in the same book for the same grade. They have to hit all the grammar points they planned to in the curriculum.

word
December 3rd, 2014, 09:02
Didn't we talk about this when Hi Friends came out in the first place? I thought Hi Friends was actually made by MEXT--and that they had basically just ripped their content straight from Eigo Noto, dumbed it down a little, revamped the artwork, and told the publisher to suck their balls?

Jiggit
December 3rd, 2014, 09:05
Yeah. It's not an outside company. That's why we get lesson targets like What would you like? and What do you want? in the same book for the same grade. They have to hit all the grammar points they planned to in the curriculum.

What's bad about a textbook hitting government curriculum targets?

At least you don't have a textbook regurgitated by a company who didn't make the slightest effort to follow curriculum guidelines and (I can only assume) were forced upon schools through kickbacks.

sharpinthefang
December 3rd, 2014, 09:09
What's bad about a textbook hitting government curriculum targets?

At least you don't have a textbook regurgitated by a company who didn't make the slightest effort to follow curriculum guidelines and (I can only assume) were forced upon schools through kickbacks.

Are you talking about New Horizions here?

mothy
December 3rd, 2014, 09:12
Why would an ALT insider need to ask ITIL about this?

Jiggit
December 3rd, 2014, 09:15

No, I teach High School.

uthinkimlost?
December 3rd, 2014, 09:17

His description matches 90% of the textbooks available.

Ini
December 3rd, 2014, 09:34
Unless you are in a school that is in the pilot system you wont see a new textbook until 2018. Didn't we go over all this a year ago?

ALTInsiderFY
December 3rd, 2014, 09:48
@Ini
I just heard something else from a head office dude, but I hope your right.

@sharpinfang
No, Hi Friends 1 and 2, the almost nationwide used Elem. Books.

@mothy
Every Insider has sources :)

@Jiggit
Nice Avatar :) :)

BeckyJones
December 3rd, 2014, 10:35
Actually I didn't realise the ES books are made by MEXT rather than by some company? I guess they might be ok then.

nope, they are shit. Think about it this way, if MEXT can't even come up with a clear and structured guideline, do you think they can make a book?

I've got a copy of Eigonoto, and Hi friends is about 10 times worse than that piece of shit. Honestly... get your hands on the textbook from a ALT in Ele, it's quite terrible.

Jiggit
December 3rd, 2014, 10:37
@Jiggit
Nice Avatar :) :)

Is the gif working then? Sweet.

nope, they are shit. Think about it this way, if MEXT can't even come up with a clear and structured guideline, do you think they can make a book?

I've got a copy of Eigonoto, and Hi friends is about 10 times worse than that piece of shit. Honestly... get your hands on the textbook from a ALT in Ele, it's quite terrible.

I'd rather have shit that was standardized than shit that was completely random and confused. It's like I always (want to) say; if you must do this damn silly thing, don't do it this damn silly way.

BeckyJones
December 3rd, 2014, 10:42
I'd rather have shit that was standardized than shit that was completely random and confused. It's like I always (want to) say; if you must do this damn silly thing, don't do it this damn silly way.
in theory yea.
but if the standardized shit, is A) shit and B) wrong.
it isn't helping is it?

also, the book is random and confused. It is standardized... I guess that is only good thing about it.

Gizmotech
December 3rd, 2014, 11:52
Uhh jhs is way more specified than shs and I would expect that would transfer down to es when they do it. Honestly look at the design docs online, jhs has specific outcomes and goals (though still very wishy washy on the vocabulary) shs says "have students use English" essentially.

Jiggit
December 3rd, 2014, 11:53
Make students betterer at English!

word
December 3rd, 2014, 21:17
Giz, I always found the required vocabulary requirements to be pretty clear. The grammar requirements are clear enough, too, I guess, but they often result in high school students writing the sort of crap I had to wade through today.

"I like the bicycle which is red."

Gizmotech
December 3rd, 2014, 22:22
Giz, I always found the required vocabulary requirements to be pretty clear. The grammar requirements are clear enough, too, I guess, but they often result in high school students writing the sort of crap I had to wade through today.

Are they clear? I remember vague crap like 800 words by shs, but no definition what a word is (is unable and able different words?) and what those words should be.

Ini
December 4th, 2014, 15:15
The 3 BOEs I've been at this week are all in the process of ordering their copies of Hi friends for next year.....

greyjoy
December 4th, 2014, 15:34

I wonder if all the textbooks for jhs teach "which" incorrectly and leave the mess for high school to clean up. When I told my teacher that our book was wrong, and explained the difference between which and that, she said she had never heard such a distinction. I don't know if she didn't believe me or just didn't feel like reteaching it right before exams, but it was still on the exam which was last week.

Jiggit
December 4th, 2014, 15:37
it was still on the exam which was last week.

Deliberate?

greyjoy
December 4th, 2014, 15:46
Yes

ALTInsiderFY
December 4th, 2014, 18:23
That's enough confirmation for me. Thanks Ini.